“Paradise!!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay for my daughter's wedding. The property and hotel was wonderful. For purpose of Trip Advisor, I'll state the "good and bad". I booked directly with Secrets. Other family members booked with Bookit.Com for the same category and had a much better view..They were overlooking the pool and ocean. My room on the other hand over- looked at the parrot cages, a power bank with lattice siding around it and restaurants. If we peeped through the buildings we could see the ocean...The bedding was fabulous, the room pristine clean. The bathroom was alittle questionable. A mesh drape separates the bathtub from the bedroom and the only privacy to the toilet was a frosted glass. Worked ok for me n hubby married 37yrs, but would have been dreadful if I was a "new bride".. The beach was beautiful but set the alarm before 7am and go spread towels to "save chairs". We found this out the first day and there are certainly not enough for guest..heaven forbid you are there for the cruise ship excursions which evidently allow access to the property!! We left on a Wednesday, but family that stayed said this happened on a Fri. or Sat. Secrets certainly is not a budget resort and I resent paying big bucks to "share" with folks just passing through!!!! Restaurants were beautiful and food was great! Staff was wonderful. Gounds were beautiful and well taken care of. Alcohol was first rate. It is important to know that Secrets Wild Orchid and Secrets St. James are the same property and share all common areas. Not sure why the different names. I will say that St. James is very quiet and peacefull at night simply because all restaurants and bars are on the Wild Orchid side. (The whole hotel was quiet and restfull after 11pm. which certainly didn't bother us) Having said all of that, YES!! I would go back here in an instant!! Maybe it was the wedding, but this was the best vacation we have ever been on and yes, we've been to most of the islands. WONDERFUL HOTEL.

Room Tip: I read this tip on trip advisor before, but didn't follow the advice. Ask for higher floors to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tina57kannapolisNC

OVERALL EXPERIENCE
This was our first trip to Jamaica, and we had a great time at Secrets Wild Orchid. Full disclosure: this is only my third resort experience (Paradisus in Dominican Republic, and a Marriott resort in Maui, Hawaii). We don't have kids, and didn't want to be around them on our vacation, so Secrets was the answer. We upgraded to the preferred package, and it was worth every penny just for the 24/7 room service, quiet pool, free Wi-Fi, private lounge with food, and free booze in the room. Overall the food was just ok, but the few good things we did find kept us very satisfied (more on that below!). Every local was friendly--from the airport staff, to the taxi driver, to all of the resort staff. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this resort is filled with Americans. If you are looking for a European sun-bathing experience, this is not the place.

ROOM, GROUNDS, STAFF, DECOR
The room was really nicely appointed, with a breathtaking view from the entry right out to the ocean. The bed was comfy, and there was plenty of room to stretch out and move around. The balcony was spacious, and even had a full-sized tub that was perfect for an after-ocean soak. One drawback: It may be normal for the Caribbean resorts, but there is hardly any divider between the toilet and the rest of the room. You can hear every noise from within--NOT romantic! Need a full toilet door, preferably with some sound-proofing. The grounds were nicely maintained, but not nearly as lush or dramatic as I expected for the price. The beaches were cleaned daily, and the water was gentle and that perfect Caribbean blue. It was actually quite nice to be on a peninsula, and felt very safe and protected from vendors asking us to buy things (as Dominican unfortunately had). I found it highly entertaining that there were peacocks roaming the grounds, BUT they have a sqwauk that sounds like a dying child, so that is not pleasant (but they're still pretty). As mentioned above, every local that we came across was very friendly and welcoming--no complaints! The entire resort was not packed, so it was exceedingly nice not to have to fight for a beach or pool chair. It got a little crowded at the height of the day, but still manageable.

FOOD
I was not very impressed with the food, but the drinks were flowing (and tasty!). By far the best thing we ate was the jerk chicken from a stand that meanders daily by the waterfront. There is a sauce that you can opt out of if you don't like spicy, but it is divine--get it anyways. Breakfast at the World Café was pretty good, and you can't go wrong with a basic omelet and good Jamaican coffee. Also, in between the two main pools, there is a little food-stand serving fresh chips, nachos, and other things. Go there and eat the meat pies from the case! They don't look like much, but are delicious!!!

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor, we only ate dinner at the Portofino Italian restaurant and the Bordeaux French restaurant. Portofino was the best--we had pasta carbonara and osso bucco, and both were delicious. Bordeaux was just ok--the coq au vin (chicken with red wine sauce) was a little bland, but decent, and the salmon was also bland but still good. Oceana (at one of the pools) is a good lunch spot, but only offers wraps and a salad bar. The Seaside Grill had a good fish dish, but you have to be careful of the bones (a general and disappointing aspect at all of the food places). Also at seaside, I had the chicken fricassee and it was just blah with too little chicken and too many bones.

Otherwise we mostly ordered so-so room service, and listened to the live music from the comfort of our balcony. Also, if you are like me you'll crave some plain old chips at some point--eat the banana chips!! They are cut very thin--unlike the thick and hard-to-eat American version, and will absolutely fill your chip craving and then some. Dessert at all of the restaurants was surprisingly terrible--the tiramisu at Portofino was the best dessert, and that was just ok.

ENTERTAINMENT
The live music at the outdoor stage was hit-or-miss. The best performance was by a steel drum band (I think they were the Silver Birds Steel Orchestra), and they were really good. Usually, though, the entertainment started out with a painfully mild and slow rendition of old show tunes, and transitioned to Bob Marley songs for the remainder of the evening. It would be really nice to hear more of a variety of reggae bands, and perhaps more local music. There were also a few nights of trivia that were just awful. We never went into the Desires night club because the first night we tried there was just karaoke (no!), and the second time the music was terrible. The piano player/singer at the piano bar was pretty good, and had a constant crowd most nights. Being in the Wild Orchid preferred side, it was really nice to have the option to stay at the quiet pool or move down to the louder and more fun Wild Orchid and/or St. James pools that had good music pumping and generally a more upbeat atmosphere.

TO-DO
We did a bit of research about boating trips and other outings prior to going to Montego Bay, and although it seems like you have some choice looking online--much to our disappointment there is only one boating company that services this entire area (or at least Secrets)--Dreamer Catamaran Cruises. We were quoted one price by the concierge, and when we called the company direct they quoted us $55 cheaper. The cruise was excellent, but just make sure to call direct! Also, it's billed as a party boat, but we were pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't at all as loud and obnoxious as I expected. They had good music, friendly staff, and strong drinks. We were given a credit for the Chukka company outings, but didn't like any of the options so just gave up on that. It was really nice to have the option to go snorkeling, parasailing, and other things right from the resort.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sukibaz
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We just got home from a 5 night stay at Secrets Wild Orchid. My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful time. We stayed in the preferred section of Wild Orchid (by the way - Wild Orchid and St James are not two separate resorts - they are all connected to make one large resort) which was really nice, because the beach and pool areas were not nearly as crowded as the other Wild Orchid pool and beach section. It was nice to have the option to go over to the more happenin' side if we were interested in fun and entertainment. Wild Orchid is much closer than St James to most of the restaurants, the piano bar, and the outside evening entertainment. I really liked the area we stayed. Check in and concierge services were easy and quick - Kimberly was very welcoming, nice & fun. Food was good (Bordeaux was the only restaurant that was GREAT) - Leo was our server and he was fantastic! We also had a couples massage on the beach - the massage was great but the whole experience was a little awkward as the beach massages are done in a gazebo near where people are laying out and playing in the water. Looking back I wish we had done the couples massage in the spa. Jerk Chicken cart is a must to try! We also went on a CHUKKA Canopy Tour (ZipLine) excursion. Highly recommend - Lot's of fun! We got a hobicat sailing lesson for $20 on the resort - that was great! Only thing I would change would be to truly have wifi in every room. Wifi was very spotty. I would definitely go back to another Secrets resort.

Room Tip: The resort has swim out rooms - but to me they seemed less private and noisier. We had a room in th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kim T
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Amazeballs!!! This was my first trip to Jamaica and My honeymoon. Actaull traveled May 2013 and it was by far an amazing experience. Yogo on the beach, private dinners on the beach, to being greeted with amazing fresh drinks on arrival. I work in the hospitality industry in sales and this resort by far would be an easy sell!! The rooms were excellent, we ended up getting breakfast in bed twice ! and Loved how the recognized it was our honeymoon it really made us feel special. Loved it and this trip spoiled me. They set the bar very high and I believe their is no better way of traveling . Will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica J
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I am OCD about reading reviews about where to stay when we vacation so I will try and give a thorough review and pay it forward. My first time at Secrets. It is on par with the Sandals Royal Bahamian in Bahamas with better beach service at this Secrets.

My husband and I did the Preferred Club, third floor Junior Ocean View Suite. Preferred Club has its own lounge with fully stocked premium bar and great snacks and food (from sushi to grilled lobster tail to desserts, etc.). There are two computers nearby with a printer (which was awesome because I could print boarding passes for departure). The room was very nice, great views. We passed on the swim up first floor rooms and although they look nice, we're glad we had higher floor (better views over palm trees and more privacy). You get a mini bar with vodka, rum and one other liquor in your room with bottled waters, guave juice and Cokes, sprite, etc.). Would have preferred orange juice in mini bar but never asked concierge for it.

Our friends who came with us stayed on non-Preferred Club side of Wild Orchid. Their room is the same except for no mini bar and no lounge chair/tub on the deck. They did pay a little extra for Preferred Access (but not nearly as much as we did at Preferred Club side). They got to come on the Preferred side beach and pool and had access to the lounge in our building. My husband likes having mini bar in the room and I like having any chair at beach I want, so no regrets. But I do think you can have just as good a stay on the non-Preferred side. It is more crowded on that side and you may need to get up early for a "good spot" but all in all anywhere on the resort is excellent.

If you want more of a party scene, non-preferred side is the place to be. We actually enjoyed the more quiet side.

Checking in was a breeze...cold towels upon arrival and drink service as we check in. Got to the resort at noon and room was ready. Another plus!

Restaurants were great... Partofino and the French restaurant were my favorite. Service was good too.

Kerry-Ann, our server on the beach at Preferred side was amazing...always there with more drinks and even brought them to us when we were in the water. Nalina at front desk was super nice. But everyone at the resort was very friendly and always smiling.

Entertainment at night was great. Fire show, the resident band were my favorite. The resident band on Saturday night really got the crowd up and dancing.

Beautiful grounds. There are resident peacocks walking about and parrots. Got a really cool picture with parrot on my shoulder.

Very clean rooms. Always came back to fully stocked fridge and turn down service every night.

Will come again to another Secrets property. I'm sold. :-)

Tipping - it was not expected but my husband and I did tip with great service. Well worth it.

Also did a catamaran tour through agency with a desk at hotel. Was awesome. Went snorkeling and to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville with Catamaran. Lots of fun.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Traveler3414
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Retirement celebration - we love all inclusives and and this was great - in the preferred section and that cut down the noise and crowds. Restaurants were great - we went to all of them! Japanese and seafood were the best. No wait at any restaurant. Beach was fantastic. Room was clean - we requested early housekeeping and that helped. Night turn down only occurred on a few days.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We loved this resort. We felt the staff was very Friendly and helpful. The food was good. The entertainment was great. The beach is small but Beautiful. The drinks were very good, just the right amount of alcohol. We would definatly return to this resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple