“Great Property / Great Staff / OK food”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Wild Orchid for 4 nights (6/4-6/8).

We were a part of a group, and stayed in the Preferred Section. It was nice because we could choose to enjoy the more quiet reserved pool/beach, and the main pool/bar areas were just a short minute or two walk.

The staff was terrific the entire stay...smiles, genuine singing, and a desire to please. There is no "island mentality here" - they are happy, always busy, and very attentive

The property has a smaller footprint than I expected - so I'd recommend the very nice gym for a workout rather than trying to run loops around the property. The beaches are not set up for jogging. My wife and I purchased snorkeling gear at the gift water sports shop in the main promenade (none available to borrow/rent without taking a snorkeling tour), but it was well worth it. I probably spent 60% of the trip bouncing between the man made coves snorkeling.

The food was not terrific - jerk chicken cart aside. We had meals at Blue Mountain (average at best), Bordeaux (better for sure, but still not terrific - bottled wine for purchase is marked up more than your average restaurant mark up). It seems like the food for group events was much better than at the restaurants even thought it's all the same food. It would have been nice to see more premium liquors too - but in the end that wasn't a big deal

There is a solid nightlife at the resort between the piano bar with bands playing a few nights outside. Also spent a very brief period at the Desire nightclub (which had AC blasting which was nice)...but wasn't really up beyond 10:30-11 on any night after active days (with plenty of drinks throughout)

The room was perfectly fine, but we really didn't spend much time there. The AC is fickle, and shuts off with motion detectors...woke up very warm a number of nights, but there's not much to be done...Room had a terrific view, and the balcony was comfortable and shaded

Preferred lounge was nice for snacking throughout the day, and for coffee in the AM before heading to breakfast. Omelets were great at breakfast, same for breakfast potatoes. The Blue Mountain Coffee was very good.

One of the highlights was the SPA - we had an hour long hydrotherapy warm up to our massages

My wife and I travel quite frequently and usually do it in first class...All in all, we had a great time at the resort...the people and the property really made the trip an excellent one. This isn't the place to go if you're looking for fine dining or top shelf liquor, and I'd recommend the preferred club if you don't want to constantly be surrounded by partiers (they really push the liquor at the pools and on the beach), but I'd definitely go back to Jamaica, and would visit other hotels in this group

Shout out to Joseph at the preferred club who brightens up every entry and exit with his energy and laughter and Claudia - our waitress at the Bordeaux...and to the entire staff who were terrific.

Room Tip: Higher floors won't be blocked with Palm Trees - we stayed on the 4th floor and had no complaint...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rfs2510

Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you are planning your dream trip to Jamaica, this is a good option. I celebrated my birthday here, although I was alone, it was worth the trip. I'm definitely considering to go back with my new Beau!
I’ll just have to pay a little more for exactly what I want.

The food was good most of the time! If I did not like something, such as my pasta lunch, that tasted like it had ketchup as sauce, I was able to tell the wait staff or manager and get something else, no problem.

I preferred my side in Wild Orchids instead of St James because it was closer to the restaurants. Next time I will choose the preferred club because the perks including private areas on the beach makes a difference. That will cost a bit more.

I had a partial ocean view on a higher floor. The tip is to make sure you ask for it.

Some of the staff were distracted with their own conversations which was a turn off to me. However, everyone else was focused and provided great customer service, including my Ambassador Andrea! You are in great hands if you get assigned under her care - she is on the management team.

I took the bike tour ride, which was included with the stay. It was simple and enjoyable!

This resort had many health conscious guests, which made my interactions a bit more refreshing. Although I had to wait for my turn on equipment in the fitness room, it was motivational to be surrounded by others who prioritized exercise in the fitness center. The spa does not allow you to use the facilities (steam, hydro pool, etc.) unless you have paid for a treatment. This would make me prefer a different resort where more is included, but I will just pay a bit more so I have the spa access I want.

I was there during the Christmas, New Year's Eve/ Day week. The festivities included on the property were good and seemed well organized. The food was really good for breakfast and dinner every day.

I must share my true opinion: The amount you pay will depend on how you book it. I did some research and found booking thru their site is not bad, but I still saved a bit by booking thru my timeshare agency. You can book thru other resources too, but I would compare prices and inclusions if I were you. If you are watching your pennies, this place is not cheap, but this is a good option. However, if you can splurge on your travels, I would recommend a property that has more inclusions and even better food for lunch and customer service from the wait staff.

Room Tip: ask for higher level floor and spend the extra for the preferred club, but pay attention to what you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SheilaIsTru
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I spent 6 days at the Secret's Wild Orchid resort in Jamaica. From the check in, to Therese our concierge who led us through everything including a special chef's table dinner, the service was impeccable. Food was excellent all around, we stuck to seafood and Jamaican flavors whenever possible. We upgraded to an Ocean View Junior suite and it included the Preferred Club. Both beaches were nice, but the Preferred side was a little less populated and it was easier to find lounges; and the hot tub was always empty for us.

The pool bars are nice and the service is good, especially Leo at the main Wild Orchid Pool. he was a gas to have around.

For excursions, we only did a taxi tour when we blew off the organized shopping trip. Greg, our driver, took us to see alot of the real Montego Bay area. He was a great guy, we recommend it over the tour bus shopping.

Overall, this resort was spectacular and we will be back!!

Room Tip: We upgraded when we got there to a Junior Suite, Ocean View and it was spectacular. 4th floor was pe...
3  Thank Ozdocgp
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I decided to go back home to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and what a celebration it was all because of the resort chosen!! We have been to many resorts in Jamaica, but this is definitely was the best we've experienced! We chose to splurge and stayed on the PREFERRED section for 8 days, it was absolutely blissful. One of the main contributor was not just the beauty and serenity of the property, but the 'spirit' of the staff. We were welcomed by the exceptional duo of Nalini and D'Andra, the resort's rating went up a notch after our session with these professionals. Then it was time with the 'wonderful' Hopeton 'D' extremely pleasant and helpful giving us respectful attention with any pretense. The dining service at the Blue Mountain Restaurant was exceptional...coming from a Jamaican that is commendable! The service from the waiting staff was superb, much attention was given to the particular needs of the guests without hesitation or fuss! The exceptional staff experience included our interaction with Romroy, the Housekeeping Supervisor who exude a high level of professionalism and great instinct when it came to making quick decisions regarding guest services, The rooms were properly cleaned in a timely manner and turndown services were always great - thanks to Marie and the crew that serviced my room during the week of May 14-21, 2014, Rm 1402. Ricardo our linguist always sharp. Other staff that made our time blissful included Raymond (World Café) and Delroy (Bourdeaux), Melvin, the herbalist and Paula from the special presentation area. All in all the staff was extremely welcoming and accommodating which made our time there not only exceptional but memorable!! Thanks to the staff and chefs (cannot forget them) we will definitely be back. We have already spread the word to at least 15 people! Keep up the great work staff!!

Room Tip: Wild Orchid Preferred section was well worth it! 2nd Floor, ocean view was best.
6  Thank Dawn G
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is our second visit to the Wild Orchid and can't say enough about the resort. My son was married there on May 27th at the Secrets St. James and let me tell you it was the most beautiful wedding anyone could ever imagine. First of all Isabel at the Wild Orchid was so instrumental in making us feel like a King and Queen, she couldn't do enough for us, I wanted to take her home with me. Then there was Rayman our server at the Portafino Restaurant who was the best waiter we ever had. Sonya at the World Café in the morning made our day with her beautiful smile and conversation, can't forget about Philip at the Piano Bar at the Wild Orchid, always remembered what we drank. I have so many beautiful memories of Jamaica and especially the Wild Orchid, will be back home real soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank hummingbird319
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

We are ever so grateful that you chose to visit our resort a second time around. It was certainly a pleasure to have helped in creating more special memories for you and your family, especially your newly married son. I can only image that you all had a wonderful time.

Thank you for sharing your review of our resort and we look forward to welcoming you back Home soon.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was the best vacation ever! My husband and I stayed in the Wild Orchid Preferred Club. As soon as we arrived all we heard was, "welcome home." And it sure felt way better than home. From the staff's helpfulness, alertness, hospitality, consideration and positive energy we truly were able to relax and enjoy our vacation to the fullest. The property is absolutely beautiful, from the layout, the décor, the gorgeous views and the feel that even though you are on a resort you are still surrounded by paradise's natural beauty.

So at first we were a little jealous of the guests that were on the first floor because they had the swim out pool connected to their back porch, but the rooms on the 4th floor are second best. We loved the tub on the porch and were lucky enough to be right in the middle so we didn't have any wandering eyes from other porches looking onto ours while we used to tub. The room was perfect. We loved the open layout and all the natural light. The amenities were perfect. The sunscreen was our favorite, along with the mini bar, banana chips, robes, slippers...ok everything was our favorite. Although my husband and I are both low maintenance guests, we both work with high maintenance clients and are very aware and attentive to the delivery of service that goes above and beyond, and that is what we found at Secrets.

I wish I wrote everyone's name down to thank, but then again the list would be so long. The entire front desk staff at the preferred club lobby, as well at the front desk staff at the spa were unbelivable. I can't remember her first name from the spa front desk but her last name is Kong because Kong is also MY maiden name! I could have talked to her all day. Our therapists were very good and gave great massages although we felt as if it was a bit routine and there wasn't enough individuality, but still thoroughly enjoyable. And they need to install a moving walkway from the spa back to the room because after the water facilities and massage we were jello and asking us to walk was honestly just too much for us to handle [insert sarcasm]! We think his name was Darius, the bartender at the Wild Orchid Preferred buffet, was not just attentive, but great with engaging us in conversation making sure we were enjoying our stay and providing us with everything we needed. And last, but certainly not least, would be Lylibeth Eaton. I have been in contact with her for quite sometime. For anyone who is looking to book for large groups for either leisure vacations, weddings, or corporate groups, Secrets is not only THE place to go, but Lyli is THE person to speak with. I can't begin to thank her enough for the patience, the individuality, the attentiveness, the immediate responsiveness to all my needs, questions and inquires for my future groups. THANK YOU SO MUCH to EVERYONE at Secrets! We will be back!

peace and solitude- Wild orchid preffered club - first floor has swim out to private pool, 4th floor (especially center room) no onlookers

relaxation, good food, non stop drinks, overall GREAT time- any room!

Room Tip: peace and solitude- Wild orchid preffered club - first floor has swim out to private pool, 4th floor...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Marissa K
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Well let me just say it took a wonderful resort and wonderful people for me to write this review for our first time stay at Secrets Wild Orchid. For the past few years we have been staying at Excellence Playa Mujeres in Cancun and let me tell you the scorecard was running the entire week we were there and Secrets wins hands down. From the food to the layout of the property, proximity to the airport (note - you don't hear the airplanes), the premium beverages, the beautiful grounds and and amazing spa this place is a gem. The one thing that I think i would call out as the biggest difference are the staff members. Everyone and i mean everyone is there to help and provide us nothing but top notch service above and beyond expectations. A special shout out to Leo (the most entertaining and attentive bartender during the day) who made a drink for me everyday to match my bathing suit to Dowaine who ran from the lobby bar to the club everynight to make sure we were always happy and Dwane and the rest of the most entertaining group of individuals at the pool.

The spa provided excellence service - one of the best sweedish massage services i have ever had and the food was very good for an all inclusive. No lines at the restaurants and the amount of options were amazing. Our favorite were the French and Italian options. 24 hour room service definately came in handy for us for either late night snacks or breakfast in our room in certain days.

The beach area is kind of tight, however we spent most of our time at the pool as the entertainment was just too good to miss and the pool view include views of the ocean so you always had an ocean breeze no matter where you were sitting.

The Coco Cafe was such a nice break to our day as it was great to take a break from the heat to do some shopping and have a nice cafe beverage hot or cold while doing some shopping...

What else can I say... We had a blast, we are in Secrets withdrawl as only being a few days back but will definately be back again!!!

Room Tip: No need for the Preferred option or rooms unless you like extreem quiet and to be away from the acti...
8  Thank Kelly P
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!