“Just ok...” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Illinois
“Just ok...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Overall mixed feelings about this place:
1. Got a swim up pool on the first floor of the "club." We had friends staying in regular rooms. The difference between our rooms on the inside was negligible. Size and Furnishings very similar. One of the perks of the preferred room was The "Club" lounge. This was a few seats around a TV at a wet bar. If no one was around you could poor your own drinks, but at an all inclusive you could get drinks anywhere.. The swim up pool was a cool concept but for some reason it wasn't connected to the main pool. So you had a lazy river in front of you you had to get out of to get into the main "preferred" pool. Speaking of the club level pool... it was indeed a lot less crowded but had no bar. There was a waitress who went back and forth from the main pool to deliver your drinks, which could take a while. Finally, the staff told us to have our "black key cards" at all times to prove we were in the preferred rooms but not once was I checked and our friends from the regular section came over all the time.

2, Service was hit or miss. I guess you gotta assume that a big resort. Some people loved their jobs. Some workers acted like they hated life. I will say I tipped a lot (only 1 or 2 bucks at a time for drinks) and this did seem to get me better service. Surprisingly I never saw anyone else tipping... ever... even at the bar. So after the bartenders knew we were tipping they would get orders for the people in front of us in line, but we always got out drinks first. Change is hard to come by so bring one hundred 1 dollar bills and you will be fine for a week.

3. At breakfast and lunch you are limited to a buffet style. Quality was average. Dinner was a bunch of restaurants with different styles. The french and hibachi were pretty good. Mexican was average. Didn't try the Italian.

4. There were a few separate small beaches. Water was warm clear and nice. Sand was clean.

5. Overall quality was above average but not luxurious. Except for the occasional "One Love!" or "Ya Mon!" from the staff, I had no idea i was in Jamaica the whole time.

Would I return: Nope. There are other Secrets resorts I Would try before ever returning to Montego Bay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dingo21Illinois

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from 6-11-18th. Love Secrets resorts as we've stayed at 3. so far. We were greeted with "Welcome Home", cool towels and a drink of your choice. Check-in was quick and efficient by our concierge, then the Vacation Club (timeshare) sales pitch starts. If you're not interested, just say "no thank you" firmly and leave to go to your room.
Room
Our room was beautiful with a perfect oceanfront view. Nearly every room faces the ocean so everyone has at least a partial ocean view.. We were on the 5th floor which was perfect (both for the view and noise level b/c the swim up bar was just below). We didn't do the preferred club this time which is a quieter pool and beach area, but never regretted our decision. as everyone was so nice and service everywhere was incredible.. Tons of palapas available all week-never a problem getting towels or drinks on the beach.
BEACH
Beach was beautiful with clear turquoise water and soft beach sand, but there's lots of small pebbles/shells in the water that can cut your feet. We brought beach shoes and glad we did .Also, rocks near the gazebo where you can feed the fish; they will eat right out of your hand.
Grab some bread from breakfast & throw small pieces in the water and you'll be surrounded by lots of small fish (4 different kinds).
There are 2 beautiful parrots in a cage outside World Café and lots of peacocks roaming freely throughout the resort.
RESTAURANTS no reservations needed for any restaurant ever.
Our favorite was the Italian-Portofino- great lasagna, eggplant parmesan appetizer
& minestrone soup.
French was also excellent with a great steak & lobster and onion soup.
Himitsu was a bit disappointing , but they did have an awesome spicy soup.
Blue Mountain was also very good.Jamaican grilled, curried fish and jerk chicken.
Mexican was also pretty good.
Lunch restaurants were just Ok.
We wanted to go to Oceana for dinner till we found out their surf/turf was shrimp and bacon. Back to Portofino we went!
Seaside at St James did have a good grilled fish sandwich.
Barefoot grill had hot dogs, burgers, nachos and Bams (bombs which are delicious spicy fritters and great.
Best option for lunch is the Jerk Chicken cart that arrives about 12:15. Excellent marinated chicken. Be sure to get the Magic sauce and get lots of it. Delicious. Also, there was a cooking class on the beach and recipes for jerk chicken.
WORLD CAFE
Breakfast was fantastic- anything and everything you could possibly want and it's always HOT when you get back to your table. Also open for lunch.
LOBSTER NIGHT AT WORLD CAFE FABULOUS! DO NOT MISS!!!!
Every Saturday from 6-10:30
Best buffet ever! Lobster cooked at least 3 different ways- all excellent! Also, a 25 lb turkey which was also fantastic! plus rice, eggplant, jerk pork, chix. Tons of desserts!
TOURS
This was our 3rd time to Jamaica so the only thing we needed to do was shopping which was the biggest mistake we made.-A 2 hr.taxi tour that cost $30pp and made 1 stop, then back to hotel in 1hr and 15min. If you need a taxi, go outside the hotel and everything is half price! Total RipOff!
Also, if you buy anything at the hotel shops, you can only pay credit
card or charge to your room-NO CASH.
ENTERTAINMENT
We were there for opening day of the World Cup games! Totally Carnival atmosphere; beads, bands, dancers- Unbelievable!1 Also, a great carnival show at night.
Other nights we sat outside at the Piano bar with the Secrets Band or a steel band - not much else to do unless you go to the disco. or watch a movie outside.
POOLS
Pools were clean, but very noisy, especially the swim up. We're mostly beach people so that's where we stayed. Hot tubs were nice, but not always working!
Grounds are perfect! Someone always working to keep them that way.
Mosquitoes
My hubby is a mosquito magnet and if there is one anywhere, he will get bit. Bring Raid an repellent with Deet to keep them away. They do spray but not enough.Also, there are "no see ums" You won't feel the bites but you'll notice welts where they found you!
Everyone at Secrets Wild Orchid was wonderful! Very hard working and deserve every tip they get. Everyone always had a smile and all were so friendly, courteous and helpful.
Our only complaint was the mattress!! Time for a new one! We had to sleep atop pillows to be comfortable.
TIPS
Bring insect repellent with DEET and Raid
Bring a raft for beach/pool use
Bring extra sunscreen with a higher spf than usual
BRING BEACH SHOES

Loved and enjoyed Secrets Wild Orchid
Go, and enjoy

rocks near the gazebo where you can feed the fish. Grab some small pieces

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Linda&John
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

It was my 1st real vacation and I must say that I was impressed. I was greeted by the hotel entrance where they took my luggage and offered me (insisted) any drink I wanted while I waited for my room.
-The room was immaculate. The dark brown wooded tiles were a nice touch
-The food was delicious. You can order in at no extra charge
-Drinks are at the tip of your fingers: in the bedroom, lobby, lounge, on the compound & by the pool
-Two peacocks were on the compound
The service almost everywhere was very good
I would live in an almost exact replica of the resort. Just beautiful.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TeamSasa
Salem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here for 9 days on our honeymoon and LOVED IT! The service was very friendly, our personal favorites were Andrew at the Wild Orchid Lobby Bar. Bruce running beach volleyball (which helped us not gain 20lbs on the great food), and Sherece serving drinks on the beach!

There are a lot of restaurants to choose from, the breakfast and lunch buffet were the best of any all inclusive I've stayed at and the dinner spots were more than expected for all inclusive resorts. Our favorite restaurant was Blue Mountain with Jamaican dishes. Portofino had AWESOME waiters with Ryan, Rayon, and Eric! They went above and beyond to make the experience wonderful. The entertainment with the live Reggae music and awesome entertainment crew made nights fun!

We did the couples massage and though they are pricey (more than other resorts I've stayed at) with the coupons the price was more comparable. The Swedish massage was FANTASTIC.

We didn't see many people tipping (it's supposed to be included) and it seemed like they appreciated it but never pressured you for it. We routinely tipped $1-2 each round, sometimes none when it wasn't available.

One thing you MUST try is the jerk chicken on the cart that roams the boardwalk at lunch time. SO GOOD. Wait in line, it's worth it.

Snorkeling was fun, we went twice and saw a stingray and an octopus plus lots of colorful fish and some colorful coral. The Hobie sailboats were a lot of fun. We wish we would've gone diving after realizing what was easily seen with snorkeling. I would bring my own snorkel next time so you can swim out just beyond the rocks on your own. The interesting things to see are just off shore. That way you don't have to be on the resort timeline for snorkeling. Don't do this if you're not a good swimmer or familiar with the ocean, they do have someone on a kayak on the guided torus keeping and eye on everyone.

Room service was spot on everyday and the bed was very comfortable. Best vacation ever. Jamaican people are the kindest.

We did one day outing with Bryan and took a limo to Negril. It was a nice way to break up the 9 lazy days.

There is a preferred option, in my opinion, not worth it. Wifi extends to the beach and is available in the lobbies and hot or miss in the rooms. The non preferred beaches were where all the activities were and central. I wouldn't pay the extra money. We thought about it, and I'm glad we didn't.

MUST STAY!!!!! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Erinallyn
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were both pretty excited for our honeymoon here. It was my first time at an all-inclusive resort and really didn't know what to expect. Let me just say...I many have been spoiled for all of our vacations to come.

The resort grounds are gorgeous. I doubt there is a single picture on tripadvisor that does Wild Orchid justice. Now, despite a mix up with our honeymoon package, check in was a breeze and we felt welcomed by everyone. Staff quickly picked up where Apple Vacations dropped the ball. (Side note: If you book your vacation on Secrets' website, you're actually booking through Apple Vacations. We had no idea and knowing this would've made ground transportation a bit easier.) We arrived hours before our room was ready, and the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable while we waited. In truth - all we needed was drinks, food and the Blackhawks' game on TV. All accomplished!!

Our room was AMAZING! We stayed in Rm 1118 - junior suite ocean view swim-out. We enjoyed the swim out and used it a decent amount in the 8 days we were there. However, it's not necessary. Definitely something to consider for a special occasion (ie. honeymoon or anniversary), but it won't make or break your experience. On the other hand, we did feel the preferred club was totally worth it. The availability of food and top shelf alcohol throughout the day and free wifi was really nice.

The food was excellent. Our favorite restaurant was Himitsu. We didn't do the hibachi grill but were able to watch from where we were seated. The jerk chicken and shrimp carts are a definite MUST!! Our absolute favorite dinner was the romantic dinner on the beach. The food was probably the best we had all week and service was outstanding. As for other meals, we did mostly room service for breakfast and the buffet or wraps at Oceana for lunch - all really good. If you're stay includes Saturday, we HIGHLY recommend lobster night at World Cafe. Bottom line - Even the pickiest eaters should be satisfied.

AMResorts sales invite - skip it! While everyone was friendly and the experience not terrible, they're sales people. This is a sales pitch. Plain and simple. Unless you really want to buy into the company or are dying for the $100 spa gift certificate, I wouldn't bother. We certainly won't do it again the next time we go. I would've much rather had the afternoon to ourselves than $100 to anywhere.

Our spa experience was pretty awesome. We did the couple's experience which was enough for both of us to schedule separate appointments later in the week. We used the fitness center every day. It's a decent size and had your basic equipment, which was plenty for us. The earlier you get there, the less crowded it is. We also enjoyed the game, casino and shopping area. Not a day went by that we didn't shoot pool, play slots or browse through the shops.

One tip - And this may have been a rookie mistake, but be sure to bring small bills for tipping. Yes, tipping is included and not really expected, but we got the sense the staff appreciate it. We didn't tip all the time, but if someone was exceptional or went out of there way, then we gave them a few extra dollars.

Feedback/considerations for the hotel:
1. A system for making change for your guests. We got the runaround trying to make change. If you can't do it, that's fine. Just say that. I'd rather be told no, then led on a wild goose chase.

2. Consider putting guest who have come together (if you are aware) next to each other. We had rooms on either side of us that came for the same wedding. They were loud, obnoxious and very intrusive. We had to ask them repeatedly to stop sitting on the walls which separated the swim out areas. Their behavior is not the fault of the hotel, but had their rooms been next to each other instead of us in between, we wouldn't have felt invaded upon by a bunch of inconsiderate fools.

3. Have all of the restaurants open during that day, even if it's an abbreviated menu. There were restaurants we wanted to try but couldn't because of timing.

4. Consider different options for the late night crowd. Sure, there's the Piano Bar and Desires Lounge, but what about a place for guest who are looking for something low key? Why not keep Marlin Bar or Barracuda Bar open late?

5. Ask guests' preference for maid service at check-in or have them request a time the night before. It felt like we were playing a constant game of duck and chase with the housekeeping service.

We LOVED our stay at Wild Orchid and can't wait to get back to this beautiful resort. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer...and eat more jerk chicken!!!

Room Tip: Preferred club is a must! Quiet, free wifi, drinks and food at your fingertips, close to the restaur...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Firedancer_1511
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a nice 4 day trip for our first time in Jamaica. We've stayed at many different "all-inclusive" resorts and this was one of the best ones we have been to. The lay out of the property has everything within a decent walking distance. The property is kept very clean. I like the fact that even though most are partaking of the local libations they still have coolers through out the property filled with bottled water. That went a long way for me. To me it said enjoy yourself but remember to stay hydrated. Thank you Wild Orchid. The beaches were nice, we never had a problem getting a lounge chair under cover. The rooms were nice and beds were comfortable. Room service left some to be desired as we never knew when they were coming to clean. One night the maid came at 1030 pm, knocked, we replied "just a minute" so I could get dressed but she started to come in anyway as I was half dressed and had to slam the door shut to prevent someone from coming in. After that it seemed our room was neglected and therefore she did not get tipped at all. The only other negative was the HORRENDOUS incense that was burning in the lobby. I am fine with incense but the scent they chose for the lobby gave they 8 of us in our party a headache. They need to change that. The snorkeling is great and I recommend bringing your own gear as you can go out on your own and see plenty of aquatic life and maybe even find your own Conch shell. The food in all of the restaurants was very good with the deserts lacking a little. But not enough to stop us from eating it. All in all I was very pleased with the Wild Orchis and would go back gladly. If you are considering the Wild Orchid and Montego Bay over Mexico go to Jamaica!

Room Tip: I could not see where there would be a bad room at this resort. We are not the type of people who hi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AJ D
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed at Secrets with my wife, sister and brother-in-law for 10 days. I cannot fault anything about the hotel. The rooms were excellent with a fantastic sea view. We tried all the restaurants and had some very good meals. I particularly enjoyed the French and Mexican restaurants. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. While staying at the hotel we went on four tours with Rocky's Taxis and Tours. They added to the brilliant time we had. The best hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Royalton White Sands Resort
Royalton White Sands Resort
#15 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,828 reviews

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!