“AMAZING!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at SWO from 6/27-7/2/14 for our 25th anniv. From the moment we walked through the door it was perfect!! We were checked in our room in 5 mins. Our room was on the 5th floor w ocean view rm 2518 overlooking the pool and ocean. Amazing view. Food was great, drinks were great, staff was great, waiters and waitresses at pool and beach were beyond amazing!! Leonard was our favorite!! Worked his butt off and was so happy doing it!
One side of the resort had an incredible mountain view, especially at night, and the other was the ocean view. Water sports were fun, pool entertainment was fun, good evening entertainment too at the outdoor stage w/ the lit up mountain view as a back drop. Gorgeous!! I could go on and on but it was perfect all around!!!

Room Tip: No need to go for the preferred club, just ask for an ocean view room and it is stunning!!
4 Thank carol474

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,350)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

First of all I would like to say that this was the best trip my husband and I have ever taken!! This being our third all inclusive this one was by far the very best we have ever been on! Everything was wonderful from the service to the food and most of all the people on this resort that made it feel like home! If you have any complaints about this place trust me when I tell you that something is wrong with YOU!!! We had a swim out suite and it was wonderful oh and by the way people please tip your house keepers, bar staff and waiters they work very, very hard to make sure that you have a great time/experience and it's shameful not to! My husband and I were here on a delayed honeymoon and we met so many wonderful people as well as soooooo many wonderful staff which brings me to the staff! Anjay at the pool bar you are the man always remembering my drink as well as calling me your princess every time you saw me you'd say " my princess is here!"
Tweety you are amazing with all of the entertainment you provide poolside, Erica what can I say you are my girl and we will be life long friends, Dwight at the barracuda bar by our room you are amazing! The girls in the lobby and preferred club food lounge are out of this world and the girls Wendi and Stephanie I think I've gotten their names right in the shop on site that sell the jerk seasonings are so very wonderful! I cried when we had to leave that is how amazing these people are!! Be sure to make your reservations for the Hibachi restaurant and ask for Marlon to be your chef it is an experience you will never forget!! There are so many names I'm forgetting and I feel sooooo bad about that but each and every one of these folks works very hard to make your Jamaican vacation one you will never forget! We are definitely going back!! Spa was wonderful we both got massages and our experience was wonderful there as well. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place and if your looking for a wonderful and relaxing vacation this is your place! We will see you very soon Secrets Wild Orchid!! Many thanks xoxo!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I got more than what I expected! The saying is true you do get what I paid for ! Top notch quality service! I would recommend everyone who's looking for an adults only all inclusive resort to stay here you won't regret it ! Best all inclusive hotels compared to other ones I've been to in Jamaica

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chinadoll407
London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Got back from celebrating my 50th & a Friends 60th Birthdays (See her separate review) and had a very pleasant 5 nights in Wild orchid

Have been to jamaica a number of times before and this is certainly a pleasant place to stay

If you want a good pool scene then this is certainly one to consider and there is always plenty to do

personally the Jerk chicken was too dry for me as was the Food in Portofino where the Potatoes were rock hard and the Salmon very Dry

All of the other restaurants were very good though as was the Breakfast in the World Cafe

The Pool Bar Staff were very entertaining and offered very good service as did the girls who were on their feet all day running drinks to and from you

Bedroom on the 4th Floor was lovely with a Jacuzzi bath big enough for 2 with still room enough to fit in a Bottle of Bubbly !!, and view the ocean whilst we were enjoying the bath (See Pic enclosed)

As with most American style Hotels the Bed was enormous and whilst my wife is only 5 foot 3 tall she could lay across the bed whilst i could lay down it and we still couldnt touch

Some of the wines were fine others not so good but it is all about personal taste, and when you are away sometimes you will not find you perfect favourite , but they were fine for me
Is however worth trying a "Purple Rain" see Picture

All in all a good stay in a very nice hotel with good service

3 Thank DDTakinItEasy
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We've been to Secrets the Vine in Cancun and Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay in Jamaica. I can honestly say now that if Secrets is in the title, you're gonna have a good vacation. We recently stayed at Wild Orchid Montego bay for our honeymoon. The lobby area isn't huge, but it is very nice nonetheless. We stayed in the basic junior ocean view room which was more than enough. We had a great view of the beach which was almost beachfront. However you're gonna spend most of your time at the pools, bars, and beach areas. There's tons to do. Kayaking, biking, watching movies, clubbing, room service, drinks of course, and wonderful gourmet meals are all included. There's 7 or so restaurants. We spent most of our time at the beach and the restaurants. There's always some type of entertainment at night too whether it's steel drums, singing, dancing or other performances. I highly recommend checking out the Wild Orchid because you can use all the the facilities that St James can too. Wild Orchid is closer to the restaurants as well. Montego Bay is a great place for couples, and even tho the beach area isn't huge at Montego Bay the water is still very clear. Definitely check out Jamaica even just to meet the people because they are so easy-going and happy.

3 Thank Grant K
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our honeymoon and we signed up for the registry. We didn't broadly announce it to people but only told those that asked if we had one. We did have a gift made to our registry and it was a Champagne Sunset Sail. After some confusion with the hotel if we had this on our room, we finally acertained that we had it as a "credit" and could either use it, or put the monies toward something else. We decided that since our friends paid for us to take this excursion, we would do so.We signed up for the excursion but were told that we would be charged for it at a price 3x the advertised price on the registry! We opted not to go based on principle.When we challenged this with the hotel (booked through Amstar in lobby the agent for Cheap Carribean), the Hotel Concierge (via phone from the concierge Nordia in PreferredClub Marcia the hotel concierge manager)said it was between us and the registry! Nordia offered to call the Honeymoon Regisrty and left a message for them to call me. I did not get a call before leaving resort and the hotel took no responsibility thus doing nothing, and we did not do the Sunset Cruise. The resort was good but not outstanding in my view.They do not seem to care even when you pay the upgraded Preferred Club status. We met people at the pool that stayed at the Secrets SilverSands in Mexico and said that was much better.I don't think that I would stay at another Secrets and would NOT recommend anyone signing up for their Honeymoon Registry because what you list as a gift that you want to receive, you pay above and beyond that for it even though people think they are giving you that gift. You might as well just tell people to give you money,that is what is happening anyway, applying a credit but making you pay much more ifyou really want it! Why can't they just be honest and tellpeople what it REALLY costs?

4 Thank Sonya61
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I just arrived back in the states from SWO yesterday. We spent 7 days in paradise at SWO. We have visited 2 other Secrets properties - the Secrets in the Dominican Republic as well as Secrets Maroma Beach in Mexico. We REALLY REALLY loved this particular Secrets property. If you want the real scoop on the good, the bad, and the ugly on this property I've got it for you.

The Good -
1. The property is truly gorgeous. If you've been researching it you know that it sits on it's on sort of private peninsula area, therefore, the beaches are clean and the mountainous landscape is breathtaking. (I also never worried about safety at this particular property.) We paid extra for the Preferred Club (More on that later.) so we had the privilege of waking up to the most picturesque view ever each morning.
2. The variety of restaurants is wonderful and MOST of them were good. We enjoyed the Hibachi restaurant, the French, and the Italian restaurants best. We ate at the hibachi grill one night and the other night we ordered off the menu. All of the meals at those restaurants were great and flavorful. My husband loved the Jamaican restaurant... I thought it was just ok. The service was best at the hibachi restaurant and the Jamaican restaurant. Those two must be managed a bit differently than the other restaurants on property and/or we must've gotten more experienced servers.
3. One night we participated in the karaoke that was offered in the 'club' area. That was a lot of fun.
4. A couple of the nights we hit up the Piano Bar and that was a lot of fun too. Make sure you check that out if you go as well.
5. The room itself was great - it's almost identical to the rooms at Maroma Beach. We were in a ocean view suite - on the third floor preferred club.
6. We paid extra for the Preferred Club service with the private butlers. This is WELL worth your money. Unlike other Secrets Resorts we've been to the Preferred Club has it's own huge - private beach - with lots of nice towels that are readily available for your use. In addition, there's always a server coming around the beach taking drink orders that came to you fairly quickly. This is different on other beach areas around the resort that are NOT PC. The beach on the SWO PC side is also cleaner and much prettier. We also loved the hot food options that were switched out at least three times a day, higher end liquor options, etc.
7. The butlers really added a special touch to this particular Secret experience for us - Jevon, Dalton, and Keen went above and beyond by checking in on us throughout our day, getting us to the "top spots" in line at restaurants, making sure we had everything we needed, etc. When we return to this Secrets we will definitely do the butler service again. You're also provided with a local cell phone if you pay for the butler service so that you can call your butler if you need them for whatever reason.
8. The ''bed beach pods" that were available on the PC beach were amazing. We spent most our time hanging out in one of those pods - drinking and getting in and out of the water.
9. We really liked the wraps that were offered at the Oceana restaurant for lunch. Make sure you get one!

The Bad -
1. Our check in was very disorganized... I will give the property the fact that we walked in at a very busy moment, but it took quite awhile for anyone to even acknowledge our presence. We were also NOT offered a welcome towel or drink like we were at the other Secrets properties. This was disappointing. When everyone finally figured out that we were paying for Preferred Club attitudes toward us changed and we were finally sent to the Preferred Club building.
2. The breakfast buffet appeared to be disorganized... Often the hostess would send us into the buffet and then there was no one to tell us where to sit. Then, when we'd sit down no one would come over to get our drink orders for awhile. The first morning we were there I even got up and got my own drink - much to one of the servers dismay. This is very different from the other two Secrets resorts we've visited where we would often had the same server every morning and they would remember what drinks we ordered, etc.
3. The clock in our room never worked and no one knew how to fix it. We even had 2 different employees try.
4. The turn down service and maid cleaning service during the day was VERY spotty - even though we were in Preferred Club and even though our private butlers REMINDED the housekeeping staff to turn down our bed and/or clean our room. The last day we were there the maid decided not to leave us towels for whatever reason. It was like pulling teeth to get clean towels. I had to call housekeeping and the front desk several times to get a response and for them to send up new towels.
5. You're not going to get HUGE shows like you would at other Secrets properties, but the entertainment staff still does a great job with what they have to work with. There's always something going on from trivia at the pool during the day to various shows each night.

The Ugly -
1. Some of the employees LOVED their jobs and some of the employees HATED their jobs. The bartenders at the Piano bar were very surly - especially the thin bartender that appeared to be the "head' bartender. I did not get his name, but he rarely spoke and ALWAYS had a major attitude. Unfortunately, he worked every night we were there so it wasn't always easy to get a drink from him. We would often end up going to the SWO lobby bar just b/c the bartender was nicer there. I hate I didn't get his name. The woman that is in charge of making the pancakes and crepes was EXTREMELY rude toward me one morning b/c I asked her if she made crepes to order. ;/ Again, you will find some of the employees that LOVE being there and some that HATE their jobs.
2. The server we had in the Italian restaurant also had obviously never been a server - she never asked us what we'd like to drink nor did she ask to refill our classes. This is the same thing that happened to us in the Mexican restaurant.
3. It appears that the resort under staffs ALL the restaurants that are open for dinner. We ate in all of them, but the seafood restaurant. The waiter in the Mexian restraurant seemed EXTREMLY stressed out and the service - and the food - was terrible.

All in all this was my favorite Secrets experience to date. Will I return? You better believe it! When you go have a dirty banana or a mojito at the Barracuda bar. Make sure the sweet bartender Karen makes it for you!

Room Tip: The preferred club option with the butler service is a "must do." Don't believe the ot...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,030 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!