“Amazing x 2”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Commack, New York
“Amazing x 2”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was the second time in 14 months that I came to Secrets Wild Orchid. Amazing experience both times.

The up-keep around the resort is incredible. Always people cleaning or maintaining the resort in some way. There is not one part of the resort that is dirty or smelly. Everything is perfectly clean, even the bathrooms.

Shout out to Happy feet and Leonard Anderson - the best 2 employees who made my trip great! We met Happy Feet in May 2013 and he remembered us when we came back last week. It's great to support a resort that treats their people well and to see the same employees the next year as proof.
Also shout out to Kimsan who was our chef at the hibachi restaurant. She was incredible.

Just such an amazing resort and experience. I've been everywhere in the Caribbean but this resort and Jamaica are at the top of my list of favorites.

Room Tip: Every room is good, no bad views or bad locations.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christa F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,441)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Memphis
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had an amazing time at this resort! The pool bar staff is the best! Everyone is so friendly and the resort itself is wonderful. We met great people and we loved not having children running around so that we could relax.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ballenhu
London
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Wonderful property....amazing staff.....great beach and pool.....this is a perfect place for singles or couples to go and recharge......the food/drinks, entertainment and location are the best we have seen......the staff at this property are so well trained and SO fun that you can't help but interact with them......the general manager of this hotel is to be congratulated for his efforts in hiring and training the proper people for the different jobs
We interacted with many of the staff and enjoyed each and every one of them but have to individually mention some.....starting with Marcia Smith (concierge) and Stephanie who looked after us WAY beyond our expectations.....the concierge staff at this hotel have it figured out and made us feel very special......
We were picked up at the airport by Warren Smith who is the VIP driver (and we are not VIP's)....don't go to Montego Bay without using Warren to drive you.....we did a day trip with him that was perfect and he is a very interesting and charismatic person
When you get to the hotel Roderick met us and did an amazing job.....he is so outgoing and professional you feel you "belong" as soon as you get out of the vehicle
Our favourite servers were Deneca and Nickeisha (breakfast and lunch) and you HAVE to have Ryan (Portofino) serve you while at this property....he is a blast
We had Butler service and were not sure how to use them.....Jevan was our main Butler and I can't say enough about this young man....he is a gem.....Keen and Dalton were the other parts of the team and when we interacted with them we had fun.....All three are wonderful people who quite enjoy their job and are VERY well trained.....we also met up with Calvine who was new to the team and believe he will be a great addition to the group
Roach is great.....we did a couple of cooking classes he organized and enjoyed his outgoing personality
All in all, if you go to Jamaica don't look any further than this property.....either Wild Orchid or St. James....it really does not matter.....the rooms are amazing and everyone has an ocean view.....the pools are great and ALL the restaurants are topnotch
The best part of this hotel however IS the staff.....you feel that everyone is interested in you from the gardeners to the Concierge......the management must be an amazing bunch to put together such a smooth operation
We will be back and can't for the life of us think of anything this hotel needs to improve

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but if you can get one's closest to the beach that is a bonus.....no roo...
4 Thank johnbalmer
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay is by far one of the BEST resorts/vacations that I have taken in my 40 years of living. The service was exemplar and the staff were very pleasant and knowledgeable. They were always eager to help and assist and kept an inviting smile and jovial attitude at all times. The spirits were very tasty along with the delicacy and wide range of restaurant options. I enjoyed all the food and the small serving portions. The waiters and waitresses were also great in all the restaurants on the resort. I did not have one bad experience.

The resort is beautiful and well manicured. I want to send a special "thank you" to Dwight McKensie. He worked at the bar as soon as you walk out the lobby doors to the left. I forgot the name of the bar but this is where I spent most of my time in the pool and enjoying the beautiful attractions of the resort. Dwight was very friendly, helpful, and kept a bright smile on his face my entire stay. He worked really hard to serve the vacationers and did not mind going out of his way to ensure happiness. He would travel to other areas just to make sure you got want you wanted. Keep up the good work, Dwight!

Theresa was also wonderful. She was our Apple (travel agency out of Maryland) Consultant on the resort. She welcomed my girlfriends and I with sincere, genuine hospitality. She was very helpful with everything and any questions we had while there she was always around to assist. Thank you so much, Theresa.

I LOVE this resort and highly recommend. The service, hospitality, amenities, bars, restaurants, shops etc, etc are all top notch. The luxurious, elegant ambiance is definitely the way to travel and is an experience that will never be forgotten.

#1 Resort in my book
Katina Schoolfield

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach added that extra ambiance to the trip. The sound of the waves at night was ve...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katina S
Long Island N.Y.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I will begin to say that my husband and I was there 4 years ago when they first opened...I reviewed back then with all positive things to say....and I am going to say all positive things again. We were their from 7-5 / 7-12 I am a big Tripadvisor reader so I do take what people review very seriously. When I read the "teribble" I can only say that they went their with expectations that could not be met or they were just miserable to begin with...from checking in with Malecia ( very sweet ) we arrived by noon..she told us go to lunch and check back with her after. She had a room for us that was just perfect. we were able to change into our swin suits and enjoy the entire day.

All the restaurants we even better the second time around..the service for us was outstanding every night so thank you to many including Joven and Claudia for there outstanding service. We are from Long Island NY so the choices of food here are endless...I must say that the steak and lobster at Bordeauxs was excellant the osobuco melted in your mouth at Portofinos the Jerk chicken every day poolside was YUM so if you go it is a must have. I really did not have a bad thing to say about the food...just remember you are in the Montego Bay and not at the Ritz or Four seasons in the states...bottom line the food was awsome.

Ryan ( grounds keeper ) was very kind and funny...he made me a flower arrangment from the flowers on the property and a used coconut for the base...many were jelious when they saw my husband taking it back to our room. Thank you Ryan it was beautiful.

the COCO Bar ( our favorite ) Garfield was there 4 years ago and is still there today as a manager he has an amazing staff so thank you to Julice and Stephen for always getting it right.

Also, I was reading reviews about the whole SCAM thing about them aproching you for " time share" well that is not the case at all..it is not a time share and it is not a scam. you can do your own research at the web site Unlimited Vacations Club, that will explain everything so at least you will go with knowledge. Thank you Andrea for all your help !!

As said in many other reviews the property is BEAUTIFUL they really take pride in the upkeep.

In closing thank you to Kadmann for an easy check out... to Double D for securing our luggage and Hopeton for fixing our botched up pick-up from JTL.

We will be returning in the very near future...looks as if one of their locations in Mexico will be our nex stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for the view
7 Thank mf1500ny
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Bottom line: I would not return to Secrets Wild Orchid.

We spent four days and three nights here in early July. I have been to many all-inclusive resorts (including other Secrets properties) and this is one of the few to which I would not return. Of course the people are nice (duh - it's Jamaica, plus they get paid to be nice to you) and the ocean views are beautiful. The same can be said about pretty much any other other Caribbean or Mexican resort. Everything else here was mediocre at best.

We stayed in the Wild Orchid Preferred Club side in a Presidential suite. That room was over $3200/night (we were upgraded from the junior suite we had booked because they were overbooked). I have no problem spending that kind of money on a trip but am so glad we did not, as our experience here was worth MAYBE 1/10th of that. I am shocked that this is a AAA Four Diamond resort - I have stayed at other four and even five diamond properties that were exponentially nicer and better experiences than this. Even the surprise of the Presidential suite upgrade wasn't enough to make our trip memorable (well, not in a good way anyway).

People: As expected, the resort employees were very friendly. Everyone greets you, they ask you how your day is going, how they can help you, etc. Kerry Ann was our girl for drinks on the beach - we gave her $20 each day and she took great care of us. She gave us some good recommendations for a place to have dinner the last night as well. The Jamaican people are very touchy feely, so be prepared for that.

Property: When we first arrived, I was underwhelmed as I was expecting a more luxurious feel. I immediately felt like we had made a mistake. The property is very plain. Thankfully, the inside was much nicer, poolside bathrooms plentiful and good air conditioning in the common areas. They light incense in the lobby area at dusk, which caused my boyfriend to have an allergy attack, so he spent a night stuck up in the room barely able to breathe. He finished the last of the allergy medicine he had brought along and there was none available on the property unless you went to the nurse.

Room: The presidential suite was of course large, on the top (4th) floor with beautiful views. Overall I felt it was clean but lacked any feeling of luxury. The finishes were okay, some worn/needing to be updated - the sectional couch was dingy and so hard that you were more comfortable on the floor. The hot tub on the balcony was dirty and the water pressure was so low it would have taken an entire day to fill (we called to have someone come up to help us clean and fill it and she said she did not even know how to operate it). So, no hot tub. The minibar was standard but did include full bottles of vodka, rum and brandy. The bed was hard and they did not have a fitted sheet on it. The flat sheet that they used as a makeshift fitted sheet did not cover the entire mattress, so our feet were touching the dirty mattress pad. Once I discovered that, I did not get a good night's rest for the remainder of the trip. The double shower was nice and the toilet area was clean. Robes were old, crusty and scratchy. Slippers were standard. There was a handheld steamer in the room which was a nice touch, but not really necessary in that humidity. The air conditioner automatically turns off every time you opened one of the balcony doors, so you have to remember to turn it back on unless you want to come back to a sweltering room. The room consistently stayed at 72-74 degrees, despite us setting the thermostat to a lower temperature. Initially we had hoped for a swim-out room but am glad we did not get one - not only were the views obstructed from those first floor rooms, but there seemed to be no privacy or security either.

Pool/Beach: The pool was clean/fine, nothing special, and they had lounges that you could use in the water. I prefer pools with built-in lounges on the sides, but they did not have any of these at any pool on the property. The beach was pretty and private (on the Preferred side), though heavy on seaweed and on the second day we were advised not to go in the water due to jellies.

Food: This was the absolute WORST part of our experience. The food at this resort is abhorrent. If it weren't for the jerk chicken cart, room service french fries and minibar peanut M&Ms we would have starved. How's that for a balanced diet?! The one piece of good news is that this was the first trip on which I have LOST weight. I heard the breakfast buffet had an omelette bar so that was probably fine too, but we aren't really breakfast eaters so I can't say for certain. All we wanted while we were there was some grilled fresh fish - after all, we were on the ocean - and it was nowhere to be found. We took turns being holed up in the bathroom after every meal, and we are adventurous eaters with strong stomachs. We have eaten street food all over the world and never been sick like this.

Drinks: If you are resourceful, you can get drunk on the Preferred side, but it won't happen without some effort (at least if you have any sort of tolerance). On the other side, alcohol seemed to flow much more freely. Take advantage of the Preferred self-serve bar and don't waste your time (and calories) on the fruity drinks (Bob Marleys, Dirty Bananas, Love Connections). They taste good but are really just liquid dessert. We mostly drank Red Stripe and Dark & Stormys (really a Bermudan drink, but they did them well enough here). Red Stripe is a beer that I enjoy in "real life" too, so it was nice to visit a country with a good local beer versus being stuck with Corona at Mexican all-inclusives.

Preferred Club: The only real benefit to the Preferred Club is that you get access to a quieter pool and beach. The non-Preferred pools on the north end of the resort are much larger with swim-up bars and music. And way more people. There were only two servers on the Preferred side - one on the beach and one at the pool - so getting drinks took forever. We found ourselves going to the Barracuda Bar to get our own drinks a lot of the time. On the other side there were lots of servers, so the non-Preferred pools are really the place for those who want to get drunk with little to no effort. There is also a self-service bar in the Preferred lounge area, which came in handy when we could not find servers outside. You could literally pour yourself half a bottle of vodka if you so chose. There was also food in that lounge (mostly canapes and desserts) but it looked very unappetizing.

If you still decide to visit Secrets Wild Orchid after reading this, here are some tips:
- Bring, and use, bug spray
- Tip generously
- Do not eat the room service cheeseburger under any circumstances. I don't care how drunk and/or hungry you are
- Upgrade to Preferred only if you are looking for a quieter/more relaxed experience
- At the beach and pool, order drinks two (or more) at a time
- Eat as little as possible
- Drink as much as possible
- When you check out, buy the Club Mobay pass for the airport ($30pp). Even if you have airline status there are no premier lines at MBJ and this also gets you into the lounge, which actually had good food - the beef and chicken patties just may have saved our lives

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 3rd or 4th floor for views. All rooms are ocean view. Skip the swim out rooms and o...
3 Thank chit82
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I enjoyed my stayed here at secrets wild orchid. Jamaica is a beautiful country and the resort just compliments. the hotel was only 20minutes away from the airport and when you arrived you are just welcomed. I highly recommend this resort for weddings, or honeymoons. DEF would go back again!

Room Tip: ALL ROOMS face the ocean!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!