7,637 results
All reviewswild orchidpreferred clubpiano barjerk chicken cartroom serviceworld cafeour honeymoonbarracuda barsecrets resortbilly loveel patiofrench restaurantwelcome homest jamesprivacy lightwrapspreferred area
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This resort is the top of the line. Each time we go we can't imagine it being better than before but it is. Staff is simply amazing from the moment you enter the property you feel as if you are truly home. Our Butler Jevan, was just outstanding. Waitresses everyday went above and beyond to please. We will be returning for Xmas and New Years making it our 3rd visit this year. The food and restaurants where also incredible. Entertainment every night was a lot of fun!

Love and will miss our dear friends we've made there!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our vacation at Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay. This was our second visit and even more enjoyable than the first which was just a year ago. What we thought really sets this resort apart is the staff and the people of Jamaica in general. I travel all over the world on business and my wife and I have experienced many resorts. While it is expected that guests should receive good service, it is not always expected to receive it with such heartfelt friendliness and warmth. At no other resort that I have ever visited have I found such a genuinely friendly staff from top to bottom, although I do not recall the GM saying hello when I passed, but he was the only exception. I do need to mention Ayanna Duval, who was especially helpful to us.

This is an all-inclusive resort that does it right. There are no reservations for dinner and there are no limitations on the number of nights at their specialty restaurants. For me, the buffet at breakfast is fine, but I like to sit and be served at dinner when on vacation. There may be a short wait at times, but even with the resort at full occupancy, I didn’t see anyone wait more than a drink. The wait is usually for seating outside, so if you choose to sit inside, like my wife and I did, we never had a wait. The food is good and will vary depending on what you choose. Don’t expect the French or Italian restaurants to be like what you may have experienced in New York, but there is enough going on in the recipes to differentiate. For a taste of Jamaica, the Blue Mountain restaurant offers more than just jerk chicken. Try the curried goat, which Jamaicans had told me was their special occasion meal, like Americans would have turkey. Prior to dinner, don’t miss the piano bar. I did not get his name, but the piano player is quite good, so get there when he begins at 7pm. This bar also has the largest selection of premium brands of everything from gin to scotch, but try the aged rum.

The location on a peninsula in Montego Bay provides the resort with a sense of separation but with a view of the populated hills surrounding the bay. There are very pretty views at night with the lights on the hills. The beaches are great for swimming and relaxing in the warm, clear Caribbean. If you like to snorkel, the water inside the protected barriers is not very good; however, the resort provides guided snorkeling out to an amazing reef just a little off shore. Check out some of the pictures I have attached. If you are experienced and a good swimmer, you can venture out on your own, but check the water chop and weather first. Mornings are obviously the best time. One comment on the guided snorkeling; when we visited in 2013, the guides took their time and also allowed for some real viewing of this beautiful reef. This year, it seemed like a race to get to the reef and back as fast as they could. Anybody who snorkels a lot would know that you need to allow for some non-movement so the fish can come out. When you do, you will be well rewarded.

The pools are where most people congregate, but we are mostly beach people at least for most of the day. Our standard routine is to stay on the beach until later in the afternoon and then go experience the fun at the pool swim up bar. As is typical at all-inclusives, drinks are equally served on the beach. There is just something about sitting on a seat in the pool being warmed by the sun while sipping a tropical drink that says “VACATION”. While it is not unusual at many resorts for the bartenders to be fun, the bartenders at Secrets Wild Orchid are on a different level of fun. As you can see from other posts, Leo stands out. He is an entertainer, instant friend and great drink service all in one. I should mention that tipping is not required, since this is an all-inclusive resort, but it is greatly appreciated. I also did not notice that anyone who did not tip was getting any less service either.

Almost all rooms have some ocean view except likely the ground floor where it would be obstructed by trees, shrubs and people. The rooms appear well maintained and clean. The resort is coupled with Secrets St. James which shares all resort amenities. Combined it is still not so large that walking is any inconvenience no matter where you need to go on the grounds.

On our last visit we stayed on premises the whole week. This visit we took a private excursion to see a little more of Jamaica. Our RCI representative on site helped make the arrangements. Most people go in large groups to the famous Dunns Falls. We visited a lesser, but unbelievably enjoyable Mayfield Falls. The guides take very small groups for a trek up the falls part walking in the water, part swimming and part climbing. In our case, it was just the guide with my wife and I. Lester, our guide, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. There were a couple of places where we could sit inside the falls and watch the water come down in front of us. There were also some places for a great “falls” back massage. After the falls, our trip took us across the mountains from Montego Bay to Negril. This is some of the heart of Jamaica at least for the western part of the country. I recommend such a trip to anyone who wants something different than the crowds.

When you arrive at Secrets Wild Orchid, they always say, “Welcome Home”, and we found it hard to leave home when our vacation was over. We highly recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ktskigolf
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Here's a quick review of our stay at the resort.
Overall rating 4.5 stars. Rooms are spacious and beds are comfy.
Two pools - one is heated during winter months. (We didn't upgrade - there are some benefits if you upgrade).
Food and drinks - one word Awesome! Lots of choices and amazing restaurants.. We loved Portofino and Himitsu.
Top of the shelf liquor and servers are really nice except one or two which you'll find everywhere..
It's not Riu or the likes.. You get what you pay for!
We loved every bit of our vacation. Secrets has spoilt us!
Will we return to this property? ABSOLUTELY!

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank LoveToTravel100000
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was the second time in 14 months that I came to Secrets Wild Orchid. Amazing experience both times.

The up-keep around the resort is incredible. Always people cleaning or maintaining the resort in some way. There is not one part of the resort that is dirty or smelly. Everything is perfectly clean, even the bathrooms.

Shout out to Happy feet and Leonard Anderson - the best 2 employees who made my trip great! We met Happy Feet in May 2013 and he remembered us when we came back last week. It's great to support a resort that treats their people well and to see the same employees the next year as proof.
Also shout out to Kimsan who was our chef at the hibachi restaurant. She was incredible.

Just such an amazing resort and experience. I've been everywhere in the Caribbean but this resort and Jamaica are at the top of my list of favorites.

Room Tip: Every room is good, no bad views or bad locations.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christa F
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had an amazing time at this resort! The pool bar staff is the best! Everyone is so friendly and the resort itself is wonderful. We met great people and we loved not having children running around so that we could relax.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple