“5 at 50, a wonderful present”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked this vacation with 4 other couples to celebrate a number of 50th birthdays. It was just fantastic. The resort is beautifully maintained. The beaches are nice and just off the beach was a reef with amazing sea life abound. We used snorkeling gear to see it all up close. We took out a catamaran and the kayaks from the beach. They were a lot of fun too. The entertainment at night was good. Although, the nightclub only played modern music and we were looking for more traditional rock & roll. The pools and pool bar were really nice as well.

I only have 2 concerns about the resort... there isn't a running track around the resort. There is a path that takes you about 90% around, but then you have to cut across a grassy area to complete the circle. It was odd. Although I will say, the fitness center was nicely equipped.

My only real complaint is that the bathroom in the room could have been cleaner and we had trouble with the toilet which the resort quickly remedied (twice).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor so you can see the beautiful sunsets above the palm trees.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gpkjrctraveler
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

It was a pleasure to have hosted you and your group for your birthday celebrations. I am happy to note that you all had a fantastic stay and was able to enjoy the beach, our amenities and activities provided as well as the nightly entertainment.

We appreciate your positive comment about our fitness centre and noted your concern about the running pathway for future improvement. Also, despite the challenges experienced with your toilet, I am pleased that the swift resolution by our team was to your satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent experience and I do hope that you will visit us again.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (6,983)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

First time visiting Secrets Resorts and my husband and I had a fantastic time.The warm welcome from your staff was so genuine and we embraced every moment from beginning to our last day. There were several staff members that stood out the most for me. LEO was the energizer bunny, he never stop moving, smiling and was always attentive to our needs. Kadiesha is another one who was remarkableat what she does, her smile and her dimples just brightened your day. Her attentiveness was always on point along with her voice...she was always singing. Now Lorenzo worked in the dining area and he was a breath of fresh air in the morning, he greeted us and called us his V.I.P'S, I thought that was cute.He too always had a smile and I loved that. Peter and I had morning talks while he took care of the pools, he enlightened me with Jamaican history and I really enjoyed waking up and talking to him. Peter was such a gentlemen. Secrets should be proud to have employees who really loves their job and enjoys what they do. Your housekeeping service needs some consistency, such as delivering the daily schedule everyday, need more music during the day and if Secrets promotes top shelf alcohol on the website, then it should be stocked at all times.
Overall, Secrets is great resorts with great food, drinks and a FANTASTIC staff. I APPLAUD LEO, KADIESHA , PETER AND LORENZO for their impeccable service AND I THANK THEM FOR MAKING OUR STAY THAT MORE SPECIAL. THANKS LEO FOR YOUR ENERGY...THANKS KADIESHA FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL SMILE AND VOICE AND MY MAN LORENZO, THANKS FOR OUR VIP STATUS AND YOUR WONDERFUL PERSONALITY.

Room Tip: If you want action, request a room by the pool/swim up bar
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam G
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is my second visit to Secrets, I was wowed the first time and I felt like I was returning to family and true to word it was.
Last year I visited for only 7 days whilst my parents went to the Hilton, my folks had visited me at Secrets and was sufficiently jealous to the extent that the next visit this year to Jamaica, there would be no other hotel to consider other than Secrets. They were not disappointed.
On arrival I felt so comfortable, I felt a sense of ownership, the check in process was seamless and we went to our rooms closely followed by our luggage, this time I was located on the 4th floor, a great view of the pool and the sea, I was happy, my room is roomy with spacious walk in power shower and a large tub and it was tastefully decorated and impeccably clean, I have a large Queen size 4 poster bed with lovely soft comfortable mattress, a good sleep i did have every night. There is a small table and chair, a small sofa and fully complementary stocked soft drinks minibar and a large flat screen TV and a room safe, the room is finished off with a balcony area with outside table and chairs for those relaxation moments, the room has everything and then some.
The grounds are absolutely beautifully , the maintenance team deserve a medal, everywhere is just clean and a gardeners delight, the beach is vast so is not over crowded with sufficient beach loungers.
There is a multitude of eateries, consisting of French, Italian, Jamaican, Mexican, Seafood, and Japanese, and the Japanese where the food is not just cooked in front of you by the singing cook, but these guys can sing to you also, they are good, the food are is of good quality and my personal favorite was the Jamaican and the Italian. In the mornings, there is a suitable wide selection of a breakfast buffet which you will not be disappointed, ( thank you Carol for my over easy fried eggs), and if you lucky you hear the singing waiter Oraldo, i remember him from last year, Simon Cowell needs to get himself to Secrets, trust me this guy is really good.
The staff are all polite and personable and everyone greets you with a smile, and many I remember from my previous visit, I get the impression that everyone is trying hard to make your stay an enjoyable one.
The daytime and evening entertainment caters for everyone tastes and you can do as little or as much as you want, I would definitely recommend a visit to the Spa, I felt so relaxed both during and after my treatment.
I had visited many hotels in Jamaica and I have read some of the reviews on here, and this was definitely my best vacation ever and i was emotional on leaving my family and I can safely say that this hotel is my preferred choice every time and yes I am biased to this hotel which i consider my family home when I am in Jamaica and I will hopefully return next year for visit number 3.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a trip at Secrets as a birthday surprise.

Tip:
- If you can afford it, don't skimp on your room selection
- If you'll be doing an excursion make sure you book far in advance

Cons:
- Some staffers were rude
- The side eateries and room service did not have great food/selection
- Drink we're inconsistent from one bar to another

Pros:
- Beautifully manicured grounds
- Restaurants had great food
- Great Spa
- Wonderful breakfast buffet
- Butler service was excellent!
- Beautiful beaches and clear water
- Consistent Wifi in lobby areas
- Nightly outdoor entertainment

A special shout out to Sean Moses who is one of the managers on property. I had a rough experience when we first arrived and he worked to make it right. He takes his occupation seriously and helped to salvage my trip. If you get a chance to read this, Mr. Moses, you did an exceptional job!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mpanda C
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for having selected our resort for your recent birthday trip and for taking the time to share your honest feedback of our resort. We appreciate your comments very much as these are used constructively by our management team in a bid to achieve greater guest satisfaction.

Your comments regarding our resorts’ beauty, our spa, the excellent butler service and entertainment are especially noted and appreciated. Much has also been done to remind our team members to maintain a positive and friendly attitude and measures put in place improve the quality and consistency of our meals.

It is also quite pleasing that though your experience did not start off great, Shawn, with the help of others, was able to resolve your issues early so that your experience turned out positively.

Thanks again for having visited our resort and for sharing your honest review.

Best Regards,
Christina Smith
eConcierge Assistant

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This resort is the top of the line. Each time we go we can't imagine it being better than before but it is. Staff is simply amazing from the moment you enter the property you feel as if you are truly home. Our Butler Jevan, was just outstanding. Waitresses everyday went above and beyond to please. We will be returning for Xmas and New Years making it our 3rd visit this year. The food and restaurants where also incredible. Entertainment every night was a lot of fun!

Love and will miss our dear friends we've made there!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our vacation at Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay. This was our second visit and even more enjoyable than the first which was just a year ago. What we thought really sets this resort apart is the staff and the people of Jamaica in general. I travel all over the world on business and my wife and I have experienced many resorts. While it is expected that guests should receive good service, it is not always expected to receive it with such heartfelt friendliness and warmth. At no other resort that I have ever visited have I found such a genuinely friendly staff from top to bottom, although I do not recall the GM saying hello when I passed, but he was the only exception. I do need to mention Ayanna Duval, who was especially helpful to us.

This is an all-inclusive resort that does it right. There are no reservations for dinner and there are no limitations on the number of nights at their specialty restaurants. For me, the buffet at breakfast is fine, but I like to sit and be served at dinner when on vacation. There may be a short wait at times, but even with the resort at full occupancy, I didn’t see anyone wait more than a drink. The wait is usually for seating outside, so if you choose to sit inside, like my wife and I did, we never had a wait. The food is good and will vary depending on what you choose. Don’t expect the French or Italian restaurants to be like what you may have experienced in New York, but there is enough going on in the recipes to differentiate. For a taste of Jamaica, the Blue Mountain restaurant offers more than just jerk chicken. Try the curried goat, which Jamaicans had told me was their special occasion meal, like Americans would have turkey. Prior to dinner, don’t miss the piano bar. I did not get his name, but the piano player is quite good, so get there when he begins at 7pm. This bar also has the largest selection of premium brands of everything from gin to scotch, but try the aged rum.

The location on a peninsula in Montego Bay provides the resort with a sense of separation but with a view of the populated hills surrounding the bay. There are very pretty views at night with the lights on the hills. The beaches are great for swimming and relaxing in the warm, clear Caribbean. If you like to snorkel, the water inside the protected barriers is not very good; however, the resort provides guided snorkeling out to an amazing reef just a little off shore. Check out some of the pictures I have attached. If you are experienced and a good swimmer, you can venture out on your own, but check the water chop and weather first. Mornings are obviously the best time. One comment on the guided snorkeling; when we visited in 2013, the guides took their time and also allowed for some real viewing of this beautiful reef. This year, it seemed like a race to get to the reef and back as fast as they could. Anybody who snorkels a lot would know that you need to allow for some non-movement so the fish can come out. When you do, you will be well rewarded.

The pools are where most people congregate, but we are mostly beach people at least for most of the day. Our standard routine is to stay on the beach until later in the afternoon and then go experience the fun at the pool swim up bar. As is typical at all-inclusives, drinks are equally served on the beach. There is just something about sitting on a seat in the pool being warmed by the sun while sipping a tropical drink that says “VACATION”. While it is not unusual at many resorts for the bartenders to be fun, the bartenders at Secrets Wild Orchid are on a different level of fun. As you can see from other posts, Leo stands out. He is an entertainer, instant friend and great drink service all in one. I should mention that tipping is not required, since this is an all-inclusive resort, but it is greatly appreciated. I also did not notice that anyone who did not tip was getting any less service either.

Almost all rooms have some ocean view except likely the ground floor where it would be obstructed by trees, shrubs and people. The rooms appear well maintained and clean. The resort is coupled with Secrets St. James which shares all resort amenities. Combined it is still not so large that walking is any inconvenience no matter where you need to go on the grounds.

On our last visit we stayed on premises the whole week. This visit we took a private excursion to see a little more of Jamaica. Our RCI representative on site helped make the arrangements. Most people go in large groups to the famous Dunns Falls. We visited a lesser, but unbelievably enjoyable Mayfield Falls. The guides take very small groups for a trek up the falls part walking in the water, part swimming and part climbing. In our case, it was just the guide with my wife and I. Lester, our guide, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. There were a couple of places where we could sit inside the falls and watch the water come down in front of us. There were also some places for a great “falls” back massage. After the falls, our trip took us across the mountains from Montego Bay to Negril. This is some of the heart of Jamaica at least for the western part of the country. I recommend such a trip to anyone who wants something different than the crowds.

When you arrive at Secrets Wild Orchid, they always say, “Welcome Home”, and we found it hard to leave home when our vacation was over. We highly recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ktskigolf
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Here's a quick review of our stay at the resort.
Overall rating 4.5 stars. Rooms are spacious and beds are comfy.
Two pools - one is heated during winter months. (We didn't upgrade - there are some benefits if you upgrade).
Food and drinks - one word Awesome! Lots of choices and amazing restaurants.. We loved Portofino and Himitsu.
Top of the shelf liquor and servers are really nice except one or two which you'll find everywhere..
It's not Riu or the likes.. You get what you pay for!
We loved every bit of our vacation. Secrets has spoilt us!
Will we return to this property? ABSOLUTELY!

• Stayed: December 2013