“Needs more time....”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Jersey
“Needs more time....”
Reviewed 21 May 2010

This is my first time staying at a brand new resort. If I could do it over again, I would have gone somewhere else. While it was a nice vacation, I prefer "amazing" vacations. I work really hard and while I love to travel, I only get a couple of weeks away per year. I don't want to settle for nice. I wish I had gone to Secrets in Mexico to get a sense as to what Secrets Resorts are all about. I read every review and followed this resort on Facebook for weeks before our vacation, so I know how important these reviews are to those that are planning their vacations. These are my honest thoughts about this property: The staff tried VERY hard. Most provided excellent service: Terese our room attendant was great. Carl our lifeguard and pool attendant was AMAZING!! He took care of us everyday and went above and beyond to make our vacation special. The restaurants were fine and we like them in this order: (Best to worse): French, Italian, Jamaican and then Japansese. The server in the Japanese was great, but the food was awful. French--server was awful, but food was good. And therein lies the problem overall: consistency. Lunch buffet was great, but sit down restaurants were terrible (both service and food). Breakfast was great. Claudette is the best omelet maker ever. Loved her spirit, passion and dedication. Grounds need work . We love tropical and lush and it's just too new for that. Room was nicely appointed, but we lost power one night. No olives for the martinis, no lemons and limes for the drinks. Beach was nice, but it's man-made. Don't expect big palm trees and pathways lined with tropical plants. Bands at night were good. We enjoyed the piano bar and the outdoor entertainment. While we were there, there was a large conference held on property for the tourism board. The hotel staff just couldn't handle it. It was too early to do something like that at a hotel where it was a stretch to care for the guests they had. I had two spa treatments: a water lily wrap and a mini-facial. Both her awful. Rushed and not relaxing at all. Spa seemed medicinal, not welcoming and relaxing. Fitness Center is not air conditioned. So needless to say, it's disgustingly hot in there.

I would probably recommend this hotel in a year. Just not now.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,441)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
raleigh
Reviewed 20 May 2010

let me start: After reading the reviews before we left for the trip left doubt of what did we do. We had an ocean view room, it was very nice, bed was great, shower very good. The house keeper we asked for was Cicilen, she did a great job all week. All of the hotel workers, made you feel at home. The servers in Rest. were friendly, smiled and did a good job. In the Jam. Rest. we had a waiter named Claryon. He is a true professional. Hingo in the Jap. Rest. is a true entertainer. Mikell in the Cafe, morning breakfast was there with the coffee pot and water. There are many more. The only Rest. we would rate lower is the Mex. one. We have many Mex. Rest in our area, that one could be improved. Next we go to the entertainment section, it is outstanding. The shows are as good as NY stage. Pace is the house band. We rate that a 10. The Jap. Rest was very hot with the stove in the middle of the dinners. Need a fan. The ladies on the front desk, were especially good considering the amount of customers who needed information. Outside pool area and the Oceanana Rest. was clean and inviting. Krystal is outstanding an she inquired everyday how we doing and she really cared. That is the way we found everyone. The ones mentioned are a few, we named those to give a taste of what is there. Now with the good comes the not so bad. 1. It is advertised a smoke free, it is not. No smoking in rooms, all other places are open with the exception of the Rest. 2. Dress requirements were not enforced. Either casual or elegance. We could have brought much less if casual dress was the choice. They are doing the little things to clean up any left over construction mess. Nothing that could if major, this is general cleanup. You must be firm if there is a problem. They will respond. 3. The spa is very nice, the massages were very good. We knew the price going in, however, they are high, and should be lowered about 20%. We were well aware this is a resort and it would be higher. 4. The age is on an average was less than 50. Us old people were in the minority. Drinks were good. Tell what you want, food good, wine good ( Prem. bought), Help good. NO PROBLEM! Have a great vacation and enjoy your self.

1 Thank catsRaleigh
Houston
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Our room was convenient to all areas of the resort and very comfortable. The bed and linens are heavenly. The staff went over and above what was necessary and are the sweetest people. The food was very good, especially the French and Italian restaurant. Having the coffee bar with sandwiches and sweets was an especially nice touch. The beach butlers were very attentive and fun with great suggestions for special drinks, nonalcoholic or with alcohol. Oh, and I must mention that the covered beach beds are wonderful! We had read posts before arriving and were concerned but that all dissolved when we were greeted by the concierge and were given our room key cards. The staff works very hard to make sure you enjoy your holiday. Do show your appreciation with a tip! My husband and I will return to Wild Orchids.

1 Thank jfay56
Penndel, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Our trip started with our room swimout room being overbooked, preventing us from truly beginning our stay until the 2nd day of our trip. We also were there on our honeymoon, and never received any of the honeymoon amenities until after I inquired several times with the concierge. From there on out, everything was wonderful. The food was great, and the spa was first class. I highly recommend the hydrotherapy circuit! The staff was beyond friendly, and we were even offered a free 3 day 2 night stay to use within the next year due to our inconvenience.

1 Thank mrsstevendiegel
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My husband and I have been to Secrets Capri and loved it for our honeymoon. We wanted to go to Jamaica and since we went to Secrets before, we thought we would try it again. We paid around $400/night (spring deal) - normally the rate is around $800/night according to the website. Since we got a deal, we thought we would try it out. Property is great, room was great, location was great. Loved Jamaica. The food was so-so and the alcohol choices were not that great, but hey - we paid half price so I really didn't care. I almost canceled due to the horrible comments that were put on this site and on Facebook. We met a lot of great people and had a fabulous time. Remember, you get what you pay for. The spa was great and while the tiles in our shower were not straight (ha ha) - who cares - you are not there to inspect the building............would go back to Jamaica in a heartbeat and if I could get the same deal at Secrets I would go back again. We did the Bob Marley tour, Dunns Rivers Falls and Zipline. So fun. We hooked up with a local drive named Jermaine - he took us everywhere. We'll be back !

2 Thank SoxfansfromMA
PEORIA, ARIZONA
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Stayed at resort May 2- May 7 with my spouse. Arrived at the resort excited to experience the newly opened resort especially out swim out room in the preferred building. Believe me I went with an open mind knowing there would be opening issues and not everything would be perfect. To our surprise the front desk manager greeted us and explained the resort overbooked the swim out suites and we were being down graded to a regular ocean view room on the top floor. The room was nice don't get me wrong but it was NOT what I paid for and reserved in Feb.. The resort offered for us to come back for a free stay within one year. We still have not decided if we will return. Front Desk Staff- the staff was stressed and overworked. I really felt sorry for them. Many folks we talked to had the same problem with the swim out room reservations so the front desk staff was hearing a lot of complaints. Also finding a resort manager was impossible. The front desk would call them but they never showed up to discuss guest concerns. Be aware if you book a $295.private dinner on the beach be careful. They took us over to the St James resort to have dinner in a restaurant that was closed. Not what I paid for. Maid service-The maid service was wonderful. I can't say enough about them. Food- Good not great It was very warm in all restaurants. Booked reservation through Cheap Caribbean- They were great. Also we got upgraded to first class for all flights. That was a treat we did not pay for. Tip- Go outside of gate and walk 3 minutes up street for cab rides. We saved tons of money! $5 to downtown. Bottom line this is not a great resort but could be one day.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARIZONABEACHBUMS
Armadale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Well back from WO Preferred on Sunday and still chilled!! We had a really great time and although there are still some issues I think they are being addressed. My biggest gripe was I didn’t thing the Preferred Club was worth the extra money as currently anyone can use the facilities. (being reviewed currently I believe) I would have preferred the full bar at the normal reception as in the preferred club you cannot have cocktails etc but some top range spirits. Zeon has been mentioned before as the bartender in the PC and he is a fantastic member of staff. We found most of our meals to be good but had a couple we were not happy with, but remember you are at an AI so if your not happy go somewhere else and eat or get room service which we found to be on time and of a good standard. The other perk in the PC is the “bath” on the balcony which is just ordinary sized so hope you and your partner are very small if you want to share!! Spa was really nice and the fitness centre was adequate

The rooms were excellent and the view from our balcony was fantastic The beds were the best we have ever slept in. We had no problems with air conditioning in the room so I guess it is a bit of a hit or miss.

If you are looking to go on a trip try Michelle at the Apple desk or the guy at the Amstar desk in the main reception (can’t remember his name) as they are so very helpful and were the only people who actually remembered our names apart from Zeon.

Every day at the PC we heard people arguing about their allocation of rooms and having lengthy waits but hopefully this will also change as the resort settles.

All in all an excellent holiday – not quite 5* yet but I am sure this will be reached soon. The best thing about Jamaica is the people they are so laid back and happy with their lot so all of you worriers just relax and enjoy Any questions I am happy to respond Christine

2 Thank ChrissieScotland
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!