“Great location but Resort was just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great location but Resort was just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

I just returned yesterday from Secrets Wild Orchid. Check in went well, we had our room by 10am. The beach and pool were awesome and the staff was very friendly. Our room was nice but not as clean as a 5 star resort should be. Floors were dirty and the bathroom didn't seem that clean. The bed is amazing. The public bathrooms around the resort were dirty and never seemed to have clean towels. Room service was good some days and others not good at all. Ordered coffee around 7:30 and never received it until 1pm. We had a pillow that smelled of mildew and it took 2 days to get a new pillow. The food was good for the most part. If you are looking for things to do at night; it was very limited. We felt there could be more later evening food and entertainment options, everything seems to shut down around 10pm with the exception of the piano bar and Desires(the night club). Over all we had a good time but I'm not sure that we would return.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bella52270

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

This place is great. When you get there say hi to my Jamaican friends Al and O'neil they will make your vacation a blast!!! Very friendly and showed us a great time!! Tell them Hi from Utah! They will teach you how to dance the Jamiacan way!

1 Thank janbhigley
Charlotte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

Our trip did not start off well. We booked a Wild Orchid PC Swim Out suite which was not available when we checked in. We were offered a free 6 day stay next year, nothing in writing, for our troubles. We were eventually moved to a swim out the next day after complaining which probably messed up someone else's expectation and was given a complimentary couples massage. Honestly, I think I liked the view from a balcony suite than the swim out.

Beach:
Very Narrow and very rocky in most parts. The water is opaque and a little cloudy from the man made beach and/or the limestone rocks they put in the water to help break up the waves. Always seemed to be able to find a lounge chair which was nice. Drink service very sporadic to non-existant at the beach. Snorkeling was good once you find your way out past those big rocks they put in. Swim 150-200 yds out in front of St James and there are some very large coral formations with lots of fish.

Pools:
Multiple pools but most are pretty small...can get crowded. Did not have a problem getting a drink at the swim up bar.

Spa:
The spa was VERY good. I think I had a more enjoyable time relaxing in the different ammenities (pool, sauna, plunge, whirpool, steam rooms) than I did at the massage.

Rooms:
Very weird with the bathroom setup. Only a see-through drape seperates the main room from the bathroom. There is nothing romantic about hearing your signifigant other go the bathroom while laying in bed. What in the world was the thinking there? The A/C in both rooms we stayed in could not get cold...just cool. Would wake up in a slight sweat every morning. Maids came every day. Turn down service once in our week stay. All the did with pull the covers down...no chocolates or anything. Room service took 40-60 minutes but thats exepcted, especially when raining outside.

Food:
Not bad overall. Breakfast is only at El Patio/Blue Mountain and is buffett. A very large assortment of food and for the most part pretty good.
Best lunch out there is the guy grilling jerk chicken on the beach in front of St James. Freaking awesome.
For Dinner, Bordeaux was the best of the bunch followed by Portofino. Himitsu was just okay, more for meeting people than anything. DO NOT bother with Blue Mountain for Dinner. Horrible service. We waited 20 minutes for a guy to take our drink order, another 20 for food order, then he came back 20 minutes later to ask us for our order! We left, went to Portofino (snapper and tiramisu are good), ate, walked by Blue Mountain and the couple originally next to us still had not eaten. Don't bother.

Service:
All were very friendly...I will say that. Most were, however, VERY slow.

Guests:

I'm thinking the original pricing brought alot of people out to vacation here that would normally stay in a place like this. The hotel cannot help that but you should try to stick to the dress guidlines in the restaurants. Long pants, collared shirts were not required at any of the restaurants. We sat next to a couple still in their swimsuits at Bordeau. Its supposed to have a little more class than that but nothing was enforced.

Overall, it was a little disappointing but the price made it worth it. .

1 Thank mf012eCharlotte
Holly Springs, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

Stayed at both St. James and Wild Orchid

My husband and I arrived Wednesday, May 19 and stayed for 5 nights. We had been following the progress through facebook and reviews on trip advisor. When we checked in, we thought we were the only ones at the resort! It felt so secluded! Friday and Saturday seemed to be the big check in days and soon enough the hotel was packed. The hotel was REALLY nice…I wouldn’t say 5 star, but a 4 star for sure. They are still working out the kinks and of course they are on “Island Time.” Everyone was really nice and accommodating with the exception of the check in/out area and the concierge. I have stayed at almost every hotel chain known to man...Hampton Inn to Ritz Carlton, and the check in/out staff needs improvement. I am guessing because they don't get tipped often like the bartenders and servers.

The beach is the best we have ever been to. No need to reserve chairs as there are so many to choose from! The sand is so white and soft and the pool areas are amazing as well. We did not utilize the spa, but we toured it and it is beautiful.

The rooms are gorgeous! We started out in room 4421...Preferred Jr Suite on the St James side...farthest room on the top floor. The ceiling was vaulted which was nice and made the room feel huge. The shower is great (dual with rainfall and handheld) as well as the Jacuzzi tub. The bed was SOOOOO comfortable! No problems with the AC...it was cold the whole time we were there. I will have to say that the only difference I noticed between the preferred club area and the regular rooms is the soaking tub on the balcony. Everyone is granted access to the preferred club pools and lounge. We wound up staying in both due to the leak in our original preferred club junior suite. There was basically a monsoon that came through one afternoon and we got back to our room to find our bathroom was flooding with water pouring down the walls....the inside walls! We called down and I don't think they got the gist of what was going on. I had to call down again to let them know that the ceiling was about to cave in. The maintenence guy came up and was shocked. He went to make a call and never came back. I went down to the front desk and was told that we would have to change rooms. There were no more preferred rooms in either St. James or Wild Orchid. They sent us over to the regular Wild Orchid side...room 2414. We actually liked the Wild Orchid side better because of the location (closer to the restaurants) and they seemed to also have their routine down better since it has been opened longer. The Secrets staff made it up to us by giving us 3 free nights to use within the next year, score! We are already planning our return trip!

We only had turn down service once and that was on the Wild Orchid side. Maid service was spotty, but we knew that going in. We left a couple bucks each day and the room was cleaned by 4:00. I think the tipping helped...we heard some people never had their room cleaned!

I used the gym and was pleased with what it had to offer. It was a little warm in there, but there were also about 10 other people working out. I had a nice run on the beach which was awesome.

The all-inclusive plan is a true all-inclusive. Breakfast and lunch buffets are awesome…better than the restaurants by the pool. I cannot say enough about the breakfasts and lunches! They had 3 egg stations that would cook eggs to order...egg white omelets, eggs Benedict, eggs any style. They also had every fruit, cheese, meat, cereal, breads, pastries you could ever want! Lunch was the same way… a lot to choose from. We ate at 4 of the restaurants for dinner and they were all good. I think we liked El Patio the best followed by Himitsu. The Jerk chicken on the beach was amazing as well…we ate it almost every day.

We ordered room service twice and received it both times within 35-40 minutes. It is a limited menu, but it works well when you don't want to get out of the comfy bed!

As far as drinks, there was never really a wait unless you ordered from one of the roving cocktail waitresses. There are so many bars that I don’t think we got to all of them! The swim up bar was always the most fun during the day and the piano bar got rocking every night. There were top shelf liquors inside that included Bombay, Grey Goose, etc. The bars outside had some, but mostly alcohol like absolute and bottom shelf liquors. Red Stripe and Red Stripe light were at every bar and Bud products were inside as well.

The entertainment was pretty good overall. They had stuff to do during the day that was fun and at night they had shows. The steel drum band was AMAZING…it is a must see. I wish we got there earlier to see the whole show. The bands were pretty decent as well. The night club was good 2 of the nights, but the other nights it was pretty dead.

The water trampoline was installed the day before we got there and we used it everyday. It is a little tough to get up on it, but once you get the hang of it, you want to jump everyday! We snorkeled and used the kayaks as well. Both were great.

The Dunn's River water fall is a must do and not hard to climb at all. The bus ride out there, however, is pure torture! Our resort was the first stop and the last to be dropped off. The half day tour was from 8:15 am until 4:00 pm! Next time we are going to find someone to split a cab with and just go to the falls. It would be nice to climb it more than once and admission is only $15 for the whole day. There was air conditioning on the bus, so that is a plus.

We had a 2:30 flight and got picked up by Jamaican Tours Limited at 11:10 which we thought was way too early. We did not check bags and checked in for the flight online the previous day (one of the few days the internet was up and running). We were through security in 15 minutes. We wound up eating at the airport and shopping. Next time, we will just take a cab and leave at 12:30 from the resort. I guess if you are checking in and checking bags at the airport it would take longer. I also think leaving on Monday was key to no lines.

Beaumont, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

Let me say that I am a huge fan of Secrets Resorts and Dreams Resorts in Mexico and had hoped that this would be reasonably close in Quality and Service. NOT!!! So let me start off with the Service/Cleanlienss, level, to the facilities/beach, rooms, and end with the Food.

Service - The first indication that there was a problem with the Service was our first morning when we went to Breakfast. No napkins in the lap and when we asked for orange juice and a Mimosa, we were told- "They are on the breakfast buffet". That response would never have been given in Mexico. The service went down hill from there. While that may sound minor, it is an indicator of things that were to come. The beach service was essentially non-existant the entire time we were there. Twenty people were in the whirlpool one afternoon after a rain, and the girl came around to pick up glasses but wouldn't take drink orders. Often the towel hut was unmanned early morning or after late afternoon and we had to open the door to get our own towels. This happened over and over in the late afternoon where waiters would pick up glasses but not take orders. In the morning there weren't any towels out and often had to break into the plastic bags to get them out to go to the beach. At Maroma, they are rolled and ready on the pool chairs every morning and stacked by the exit to the beach for the taking. There wasn't any lunch service for the beach and at times it was difficult to get anything to eat on the beach at all.

Turndown service didn't happen but 2 nights I think and several nights we didn't even get the daily sheet for the next days activities. 3 bath towels for 2 people can be a little stingy for 2 people in the heat etc. also.

The other problem was cleanliness of the hallways, stairwells etc. The stairwell out of our building leading to the beach (our room was 2305) was NEVER cleaned the entire 9 days we were there. There were stacks of glasses, including both from the beach and restaurants that just kept accumulating along with the sand and the mud. The lobby piano bar(which is way too small) was a disaster for mud and dirt one morning at 9 am, That would never have happened in other Secrets or dreams. Our room was cleaned, ok every day, but a few times, the maid didn't get all of the dirty towels picked up. It's like if they weren't in plain site they weren't getting picked up. May also have meant she didn't clean well as one of them beside the toilet in plain site. Damming up the shower which leaked on each use.

Facilities - I'm not sure who did the design of the place, but access wasn't easy from many of the areas around the pool to the bar or restaurants. Every route was circuitous at best. The easiest way from one section to the other in one area was to "walk the wall" around the infinity area of the pools. It rained 4 afternoons out of our 8 there and the runoff from the buildings and concrete essentially had no where to go and what did finally work its way to the beach left large ditches in the sand throughout. The architect and builder should be held accountable by Secrets for basic lack of design skills. It does rain in Jamaica and there were no provisions for it at all. The poor ourdoor cook who set up on the beach was in the very lowest spot and there was at one point 6-8 inches of water around the entire area where he was cooking. By the way, his food was excellent except for the hotdogs. They were just plain nasty no matter where you got them on the resort.

The beach itself is very chopped up with 4 distinct areas which it appears were manmade by clearly the rocks and coral away and installing huge rocks as a barrier to keep the waves down and make a good swimming area. The water was pretty clear all the time and I think in the future, the fish will come to the rocks and it will make a great snorkeling area.

The 4 areas made the beach impossible to walk for long distances on the beach as there was a break between each area. Two for the main hotels of WO and St. J and one each for the preferred club. The slant on the beach was much less on the main areas than the preferred. I'm not sure how anyone could actually sit in the beach lounches at the preferred and not slide right out of them By the way, the lounges were pretty but totally uncomfortable at the beach and the pool. The large gap between the body and the back made them uncomfortable to sit or lay on them.

The beach umbrellas were too small and not enough of them if they ever get higher occupancy than they had the week we were there which might have been 40 percent.

Rooms - The rooms were very nice, but smaller than Maroma by a good bit, but overall the design worked pretty well as to the layout. I don't care if there were glass doors etc, hubby and I have been married way too long to care. But I do care that EVERY night the air conditioning would kick off due to the motion sensor and we would wake up drenched in sweat and have to reactivate it. Some nights, it just mysteriously shut itself off completely which meant we had to restart the thing after turning on the lights etc. Of course having the clock on the motion sensor switch doesn't work either. It was useless. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows and sheets were excellent.

Overall others had far more complaints about the rooms than we did and overall ours was good except for the airconditioning problem.

Food - If I had to find a bright spot it was the food overall. We ate at all of the restaurants except Himitsu and found them all very good with the El Patio and Bordeaux rating an excellent. The service was good in both and the food was outstanding. At all of the restaurants, they had very restricted menus compared to a normal Secrets, but I believe that was to enable them to the few things well versus many things badly. Didn't have a problem with that.

The morning buffet made strides while we were there, with industrial toasters being brought in after the 3 day or so which made a big difference on the speed of the toast. There weren't any Bloody Mary's until the last 3 days of our stay and then they were pretty much back in the corner.

Overall, it wasn't a good way to experience our first trip to Jamaica, even considering they were a new resort. They had been open 2 months when we visited and when we went to Maroma after the same period it was night and day on the service and facilities. Maroma might have had a few more issue with the initial maintenance items, but the service adn speed of fixes made the difference.

It is doubtful if we will return to Jamaica at all after this experience. The difference is just too great.

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

We read the reviews and thought, "No big deal. We're not looking for problems, we'll have a great time regardless!" And we did have a good vacation, but it was not due to anything that Secrets did. Most of the reviews said the same thing- it got better every day. And it did. Service did improve- from waiters and waitresses just ignoring us, busing our own tables and chasing them down, to decent service with lunch taking only an hour on our last day. To give them credit, service at dinner was generally better. My biggest complaints were the FUNGUS on the wall- not just a little- and the lack of concern for my fiance and my allergies and asthma. The fact that they didn't move our room until the next day, and then moved us twice in two hours, meaning we lost more than half a day of our relaxation. Then there was the construction above us at midnight, housekeeping at 10:30 PM knocking on every door and yelling, room service not showing up, or showing up an hour + later with incomplete orders, amongst other issues. We initially got no compensation, until we emailed our travel agent... then we were issued a free 2 night 3 day return stay... The people screaming in the lobby seemed happier with whatever they got. Management was NO WHERE to be found. Then when we got home- we found they charged my credit card for another customer's bill. Completely unauthorized charge and I couldn't get anyone to take care of it, let alone talk to me for over 2 weeks. Finally got the refund 3 + weeks later. Maybe they'll turn things around, but the corporation that owns them was un-phased by the complaints we had, as was the hotel. We let them know we will not be returning, even for free. And if you still decide to go- DO NOT pay full price- don't even pay half. It's just not worth it. Go to Sandals instead- or better yet, go to one of Chris Blackwell's properties- the Caves in Negril was AMAZING!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank OneLove1727
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

So we read all the reviews and are glad we didn't pay attention. The location was beautiful, the staff was as friendly as could be, the food was great, and the rooms were perfect. The restaurants get a little warm, but it's a work in progress. They've only been open for 3 months, give em a break. My wife and I were there on our Honeymoon and are already planning a trip back. Make sure to see Donna at the pool bar, Dane at the W.O. lounge bar, and Althia for entertainment. I would also like to thank Althia for helping me find my wedding ring which flew off during volleyball.
Respect,

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,934 reviews
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!