“Trip Cancelled - here's why...”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Trip Cancelled - here's why...”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I had reservations to stay at Secrets WO for our 5th anniversary. We were completely thrilled, but it didn't go well from the start. First, over-booking was a problem as we learned 30 days from our scheduled trip and wedding vow renewal. The "included" minister for the renewal was actually an additional $300. We tried contacting Monica, the wedding coordinator, many times, but we were not a priority until we decided to bite the bullet on cancellations and move to another resort. In fact, they advertise 72 hours for a reply, but we waited over a week even though we also contacted 1-800-GOSECRETS several times. We spoke with Kim, Karen, Bonnie, and Debbie over a two week period. Debbie rulely told us their reservations department was not in Jamaica, so "it's not like [they] can just walk over to a desk and tell someone else to do her job."
Clearly the biggest problem with the resort is the lack of communication and attention to details.
With our ties to Relais Chateaux, our expectations are high. Having not actually visited the resort, I can't tell you whether or not you should go. Additionally, this is a new resort and kinks do take time to work out. However, you should know the difficulties we had trying to set up a stay that would cost us over $4,000.
In a few years - maybe when TripAdvisor's recommendations are at least a B average - we might be willing to try again.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,382)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Oconto Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We had a wonderful week in Jamaica. The resort is new and has to work out some issues, but all in all they are definitely on the right track. We loved their event staff, especially Al. They made sure we had a great time every day.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank jsafian
Toronto
Reviewed 30 May 2010

My boyfriend and I were taking our first Caribbean vacation together and so I hope to keep this review short & sweet and spare all of you from any irrelevant details :) We were desperately hoping that our trip would be a lasting experience (and for all the right reasons!) and it was so important that our hotel selection be appropriate. Since this was an "adults-only" resort with all of the necessary amenities that one would expect from a 5 star establishment and situated only ten minutes away from the airport, we felt extremely confident that we had made the right decision!

The majority of the staff were full of smiles and laughter and did an excellent job of ensuring that all of the guests felt welcomed at every opportunity. Special shout-outs go out to: Bruce, Cassie & O'Neil from the entertainment team, along with Omar, Carnel and Fancy (breakfast server, French waiter and Japanese restaurant hostess) and of course, the lively breakfast chefs (Kenroy aka eggs specialist & Christopher aka the dumpling king)....AND THE JERK CHICKEN MAN ON THE BEACH!!! (YOU HAVE TO TRY HIS JERK CHICKEN from 12-4pm!)

As a newly operated hotel, it is readily apparent that there are still significant areas which need improvement notably: room service... room service and ummm, ROOM SERVICE! It improved vastly over the week but still needs work!

Overall, the generous and altrustic nature of the staff made our stay a very memorable one and we will be forever grateful. Thank you Secrets Wild Orchid!!!

M&M

Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Secrets St. James and Wild Orchid Jamaica

I would like to preface this with my last travel experiences. Within the last 5 years I have stayed at Sandals Cuba, Sandals St Lucia, Secrets Punta Cana, Excellence Punta Cana and a Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean. The following our my observations and opinions compared to where I stayed before as mentioned above. I have only one complaint about the resort since it has just opened and that will be made quite clear.

We booked our vacation in March 2010 for the Preferred Club at St. James (Preferred Club is an additional charge compared to the regular rooms). At the beginning of May my travel agent advised us that we would be moved from St. James Preferred Club to Wild Orchid Preferred Club. This was due to the fact that St. James was not up to the standards of a 5 star resort as per West Jet. West Jet Vacations then made arrangements for their people to be transferred to Wild Orchid and a letter was sent to us indicating this change.

My wife then email Caulette (Concierge Manager) for verification of this and was told that Wild Orchid was an upgrade from St. James. Based on this we decided to go to Wild Orchid.

On the West Jet flight immigration cards were distributed through out the plane one per family. In the row behind us was a couple who was in Jamaica 6 weeks ago and advised the Flight Attendant that it is one form per person. The flight attendant seems to get upset with this information and told the couple that they were told one per family. My wife and I decided to ask for another card and good thing because the couple was right. The rest of the plane had to stand back and fill out additional forms.

We arrived in Jamaica about 10:15 grabbed our luggage, a couple of beers and waited for our ride to the resort. It was a quick ride about 15 minutes or one beer. This is where the trouble began with our room.

When arrived at Secrets according to the paperwork we were at Wild Orchid but in a regular room. We showed the paper from West Jet and they took us to Wild Orchid Preferred Club. We were then advised that we were supposed to be at St. James. We showed the West Jet paper stating we were to be at Wild Orchid Preferred Club. It was explained to us by a front desk concierge that Secrets has to honour the voucher. This is where I become very frustrated and upset, we are on vacation and now been told not only do they have to honour the voucher but they are over booked and there are no rooms available. We were told that the would try to get us a room in the Preferred Club. They find one that would be ready the day after on the ground floor. We decided to declined that room as due to allergies to freon we have to sleep with the patio door open, therefore not practical to be on the ground floor.

It's now around 14:30 and of course it starts raining here as it does every day at 15:00. So we go to find out about our room which is still not ready. OK we will come back at 15:00. 15:00 still no room 16:00 no room. This is not what we paid for. We come to a 5 star resort not to deal with issues like this, especially when West Jet changed our reservation. Enough is enough after soaking the floor back of rain they finally gave us a room 1208 with two queen sized beds but this is a temporary room. At 17:30 we moved next door to our room now. What a why to start your vacation, first being told no rooms and then going through 3 before it's done.

THE ROOM:

A beautiful modern ocean front view, a king size bed to die for, probably the best bed I have ever slept in at a resort. Flat screen TV, his and her's sinks mini bar stocked with beer pop and water, huge shower, outdoor soaking tub on the balcony and very clean. Interesting enough three days in and the water pressure was almost non existent. This morning no water at all when we came back from breakfast. I had heard people on the first floor complaining about water getting into there room from the rain. I saw towels blocking the doors at St. James first floor.

Turn down service started for us after 4 days and is a nice touch. We are use to this service and unfortunately Secrets fell short again in this by not having it every night as advertise.

THE BEACH:

The sand was brought in to make the beach look pristine. The chairs and tables are made from a brown weave type material and my drink keeps falling. (By using a book that solves the problem). There are plenty of orange beach towels for everyone. Orange is to represent the Preferred section however, there is nothing stopping the other guests to come into the Preferred Section.

The Preferred Section has a bar with premium drinks and snacks. Wesley (Snipes) is the bartender and is very good at taking care of your needs. One thing I'm disappointed with is the fact that they don't have any American Beer (Bud Light) which they advertise. I was fortunate enough to get 6 on day one but haven't had any since.

Observation that I made was that there is nothing keep Non Preferred Clients entering the Preferred section and using the free internet computers and/or drinking the premium beer and liquor. The issues is the line up of people waiting to use the internet especially if you paid and no control of others using the computers.

Yesterday the Preferred Club ran out of Heineken and Red Strip Light which seems odd since they are both brewed in Jamaica.

THE RESTAURANTS:

The food is good however not excellent. The portions are small which is okay I guess. The first day I went to the BBQ for chicken and waited about 1 hour for the smallest but the best jerk chicken ever. Breakfast is buffet style and one morning there was a line up because the hostess wouldn't or couldn't open the other section without approval from her manager. At night you have choice of restaurants French, Jamaican, Italian, Seafood, Mexican and Japanese. The hostess will tell you the wait is about an hour but it's usually half of that. I find that if you ask the hostess anything the first answer is “No” before they even check into it.

We had a great waiter one night at the Mexican and ordered two beers and he never came back. We didn't even see him in the restaurant, in fact the couple next to us got up and left because they never got served. One night we went to the Italian restaurant with 2 other couples and when we asked for more drinks it he told us to “let me finish what I'm doing first” (which was putting down plates at our table). Once again he never return with drinks so my wife went to the bar for us.

Having said that last night we went to the French and our waiter was fantastic couldn't even finish a beer without him replacing it. So once again food is good depending on your own opinion and service depends on the day.

I found that the restaurants are noisy and cramped like being in a cafeteria. Not very intimate. Just an observation.

THE GYM:

Nice gym but small, 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical machine, bikes and plenty of weights for a vacation gym. Very hot remember to drink a lot of water as to not pass out from your work out. I don't know if they have A/C at the gym or they choose no to use it.

SCUBA:
You can borrow snorkeling mask and fins. Be aware that you only have them for 1 hour or else a $60 charge. They are very strict on these! SCUBA is $60/dive plus $28 for equipment. I suggest you bring your own if you have them.

THE SPA:

We do not use the spa but my wife went there to buy some hair products and the prices were triple the price. It's hard for me to comment on the spa.

THE SHOPPING:

On the resort there are stores with the basic things you forgot to bring with you for sale. There is a cigar store with mostly Cuban Cigars. A jewelry store is also available.

RECOMMENDATIONS: These are my recommendations based on my travel experiences. Have the rooms ready at 15:00 as stated but not fight or tell the clients that there are no rooms available. This seems to be a common theme here. People do not to start there vacations by being told there are no rooms available. I suggest you tell them a room is being prepare and check in is at 15:00.

If you are going to advertise products and services ensure you have them available. Have some control on who is allowed in the Preferred Club section or eliminate it all together. Allow your hostesses to make decisions and rather then saying “No” say “Let me look into it”. To cut down on some of the noise at the restaurants open them all up for dinner and an extra one for breakfast.

IN SUMMARY:

I would rate Secrets 4/5. Having said that, I find that the people are starting to get better and the growing pains should be gone in a couple of months. I would recommend this resort and would return in 6 month to a year to see the changes.

2 Thank kevco45
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 27 May 2010

We returned yesterday from a 10 night stay and had a wonderful time. We arrived around noon and check-in was pretty smooth. We had to wait just a few minutes but we didn't mind due to the champagne, cookies, fruit, nice staff and the fact that we were in Jamaica!

Room:
They escorted us to our room and showed us how to use everything and made sure we didn't have any questions. I liked that we could turn a light on to let housekeeping know when they shouldn't come in our room. Great idea.Our room was in the WO main building, middle section, fourth floor and had a lovely view of the mountains, pool and ocean. The room was very clean, modern and comfortable. They provided nice amenities such as shower gel, shampoo, suncreen (SPF 15), lotion, etc.. They also provided robes and slippers to wear as well as an awesome hair dryer (a full size one), ironing set, umbrella and easy-to-use safe. We liked the fold out drying rack on the balcony...very practical and kept the balconies looking neat. Another great perk was the flat screen TV with a built-in DVD player on the side. The room had dual sinks and a stand-alone jacuzzi tub. The seperate large marble shower had good pressure and heat and had a lever to toggle between an overhead rainmaker and/or adjustable and removable shower head. The toilet was in its own little room enclosed in frosted glass. Our room also had a couch, coffee table and desk. The wide sliding door that went on to the balcony provided plenty of light.The room layout was very intimate and had a warm and romantic feel. Very nice.

We were originally going to book preferred but I'm glad we didn't. We are thirty-somethings who prefer to be close to the action (pool bars, watersports, people, etc..). The preferred areas are beautiful (the WO preferred has a stellar view) but are for those who want peace, quiet and extra pampering. That's just not us. However, I'm glad they have different areas for different tastes. Very cool.

Pools and Beach:
The pool areas were very clean and nice and had plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The pool bars were a lot of fun and we met so many interesting people from around the world. We tried out both the main WO and the main St. James pools and they were very similar. The beach areas had plenty of chairs, many that were shaded. When hanging out on the beach servers would come by and ask us if we wanted anything to drink. Very nice. We loved how the beach had both rustic spots that were kept natural as well as clear spots that were easy for people to swim in. There was a ton of beach area to choose from so it was never crowded. The WO beach was more serene and the St. James beach was where the watersports were found (kayaking, wind surfing, and scuba boats). The snorkeling was fabulous. Once you get past the swimming areas and out to the rocks you can see all kinds of fish. There is also a buoy where you can snorkle over a reef.

Scuba Diving:
We went scuba diving (extra charge) for three days and really enjoyed it. The PADI shop was right off the beach between WO and St. James. The staff was very professional and experienced. We took our own equipment and they stored it for us. Since there were usually just a few people diving they took us out in a speedboat in which we entered the water with a sitting back entry. It was very fast, easy and convenient compared to some of the big, overcrowded boats that we have been on at other resorts. In fact, it was some of the most relaxing diving we've done. Our guide was terrific. We dived from 30-100 feet and saw all kinds of beautiful corals and fish (including Spotted Eagle Rays, seahorses, Lionfish, etc..) that rivaled other places in the Caribbean. Visibility and water temp were great. They taylor the dives sites and depth based on experience and comfort levels. They also provide courses (extra charge) for those that want to get certified.

Entertainment, Spa and Food:
We saw people having so much fun playing chess in the pool area, dancing, doing aerobics, playing volleyball, or just hanging out. They had many daytime activities for all walks of life. We enjoyed the open air billiards and ping pong. The gym and tennis courts were really nice. The spa was beautiful and they let us use the hydrotherapy circuit before our massage (spa services extra charge). The nightly entertainment was very good. The bands usually played outside or in the very comfortable theater. All of the entertainers were top-notch. Sometimes they showed movies in the theater or on the beach.The piano bar in the WO lounge was very classy. There was plenty to do...and lots of people to meet. I don't see how anyone could be bored...unless they are a boring person to begin with.

We thought the food was great and catered toward many different tastes. Breakfast and lunch was a large buffet. There were plenty of familiar foods but we enjoyed trying fruits and dishes we had never had. We became big fans of jack fruit, bread fruit, and Jamaican greens. We loved the fact that we didn't have to make reservations for dinner (note: you do need to make reservations for the Hibachi tables at Himitsu). The dinner decor was very elegant and classy. We loved the musicians playing live music (such as the violin) in the restaurants. So romantic.

Advice to Future Visitors:
Bring plenty of sunscreen with a high SPF. I saw so many fair people who looked like lobsters. Not pretty. I even saw people who had to wear jeans because they got burned so bad. I think people are worried they won't get a tan if they wear SPF. Not true. The sun is so intense that even with high SPF you still tan.

As others have mentioned, bring bug spray and apply some before you go to dinner. Mosquitos are common at night in the Caribbean. We had no problems when we used a little spray. Bring some after bite stuff too, just in case you forget to apply your bug spray. Expect sand fleas on the beaches....they are a natural part of the ocean. Try SPF with bug spray (Bullfrog) on your feet.

Bring plenty of tip money in U.S. currency (ones, fives, etc..) because change is hard to find after you arrive. Tipping is not required but most people tip luggage handlers, drivers, or anyone who goes out of their way or does a fantasic job. It's just a nice thing to do and is deserved and very much appreciated.

Don't worry so much about the stuff going on in Kingston. It's a long ways from where you will be. We went on three exursions booked in the lobby of WO (Black River/Y.S. Falls/Appleton Rum Tour, Reggae and Culture, and Mayfield Falls). We had no problems. The exursions gave us a great idea of how people live day to day, the culture, the landscape, ect... As long as you go on a guided excursion you will have no problems.Tourism is their main source of income so they want you to be safe and happy.

Bring appropriate clothes. Now that the place is becoming established they will be enforcing the dress code more and more for dinner. Women should bring lightweight dresses/skirts/dress pants and dress sandals/shoes. Men should bring lighweight collared shirts, lighweight linen pants and closed toe sandals and dress shoes for dinners (personally, I think men should be able to wear nice dress shorts). Most people dressed very nice. However, we saw some people wear beach clothes, flip flops, sleeveless shirts, cargo shorts, etc... That is just disrespecful to the other guests around you, the staff, and yourself. Not to mention, if you do get seated, it will probably be back in a corner somewhere.

Take advantage of the Photo Service. Professional photographers stand around the beach areas and dinner areas and will take your pictures. It is sort of like the photo service at Disney except you have to remember your photographers name and the day they were taken. You can later view and buy the prints if you want to (or buy them on CD). They will also do a photo session and take many shots with different poses and backgrounds. We bought several because they were so much better than what we took ourselves.

Staff:
We got to know several staff members very well. It became obvious to us very quickly that the staff was working extremely hard to make everyone happy. Many of them are putting in long, long hours as the resort becomes established. Special thanks to Nick (manager), Sophia (check-in) Omar G. and Mark B. (servers), Reynaldo, Gillicon, and Michelle (tours/excursions in WO lobby), Debisha (World Cafe hostess), Dahlia, Chaka, Milky and Neal (Watersports), Arvel (photos), and everyone else. There are so many great staff members. We love you guys and appreciate all you did for us! Thank you!

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Peace10
Scranton, PA
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I have been travelling to Jamaica for the past 30 years, both for work and pleasure.
There are certainly many beautiful and upscale resorts on the island. I have stayed at many over the years. Secrets will not be a secret for too long. Remember, before you go, you are going to a tropical island with its own style, rhythm and pace. I was greeted by a Mr. Billy Love, who immediately took my luggage and escorted me into a lobby, where fresh cookies, cool towels, and champagne were waiting. I was checked in within 5 minutes and escorted to my room. (I did not do the preferred), The room was close to the lobby as I requested. It was large and clean with plenty of towels. The refrigerator was cool and filled with Red Stripe, soda and water. The bathroom was very modern with many amenities. I liked the two flush toilet. I always bring my own bath products, so I don't know how they were. Be careful with the Jacuzzi, mine shot the water up . The bed was extremely comfortable, with a large flat screen in front of it with a variety of channels. The fan kept the room comfortable and the air conditioning could be adjusted to make it colder,
The bar staff were excellent. Top shelf liquor, good house wine and champagne. They even made delicius frozen drinks, smoothies and took special requests. Many of the staff have had hospitality experience at the Ritz Carlton and other high end hotels and it showed.. There are many different restaurants, Italian, French, Jamaican, Mexican, Oriental, etc. The food was very good, especially the Italian restaurant. I could not decide what to eat so my waiter, Clarence brought me some of several entrees. The French restaurant was also very good. The variety was plentiful, f the food was fresh and served hot. Even if you are on a special diet you have much to chose from.The breakfatst was a buffet, but more like a champane brunch. If you don't like self serve there is always 24 hour room service.
The night life included movies on the beach, shows with steel drums, a disco and a piano bar. Always something to do. They also proved complimentary shuttle service to Margaritaville. During the day, the entertainment staff provided dance lessons, volley ball,, water aerobics,and I loved the many swimming pools. I especially liked the bar service at the pool, excellent. Life guards were well trained. The Spa was state-of-the-art. Exceptional swedish massage.
Overall, I would go back. I had wonderful service from the staff, you know who you are.
Recommendations: I would stay in the preferred area, if you want more luxury. Bring plenty of sun tan products, Off spray, a room air freshner. Go relax and and take in the leisurely pace of the island. If you want fast food stay home and eat at McDonalds.
Special thanks to Delroy, bartender,, who coined the term "anything for the guest".
Make sure you catch the sun set, it is exceptional. not to be missed
Linzmon, Scranton, PA

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Linzmon
Essex
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Arrived at W.O. 10/05/10 from UK for 14 nights, having stayed at other Secrets hotels in Mexico (Maroma & Capri) also Dreams Peurto Vallarta, we saw this one advertised and as it was a Secrets thought that it would be up to the standards of their other establishments.

Pros:

Location is superb, the beach though manmade is very good, scenery surrounding hotel is picturesque. Suites are very comfortable nicely furnished full bathroom with all toiletries supplied, balcony all with ocean views, well stocked minibar. Cleanliness could have been better. Preferred suites have tub on the balcony and own check in/enhanced facilities etc. The waiting/bar staff are excellent very polite and friendly and they go out of their way to help you cannot do enough. Good selection of branded drinks and cocktails available although they did run out of some. The entertainment is first class as are the entertainment team.

Cons.
Room service very slow.
Food. This is hit and miss. World Cafe buffet, majority of the time food meant to be hot was cold, also plates were cold so if the food was by any chance hot it didn't stay that way. This was also the same in the speciality restaurants. We dined in the Blue Mountain on one occasion, had a superb meal, another it was appalling. Same with the other places. Although the staff are very polite and helpful service was very slow on occasion and a lot of them just didn't know how to serve, sometimes wine wasn't available, and sometimes there was a 30 minute wait for a table, no problem but the hotel was only 55% full. This is obviously a mangement problem they have not got enough staff and have not given them full training. Waiter service on the beach ranged from sporadic to non existent some days. Piano bar not enough seating to see the entertainment, you had to get there early otherwise no luck. There is supposed to be a dress code but it is not observed by the clients or enforced by the management. There were patrons with wet swimming attire/vest tops/towels wrapped around swimming costumes/bare footed in the world cafe. In the al la carte restaurants people were attired in shorts flip flops tank tops, even though it stated casual elegance on the daily print outs.
This has the potential to be an excellent hotel but there are basic problems here that need to be ironed out. This hotel was opened to soon in my opinion and there was not enough time given for staff training etc and to get the establisment into top gear. We stayed at Secrets Maroma in 2008 four weeks after the opening there and the hotel was running like clockwork, so if it possible there then it should be the same at W.O. This hotel will probably be up to scratch possibly within six to nine months, but I would not risk coming back here, we prefer the assured standards of Secrets in Mexico where we shall be returning. Also This hotel only deserves a three star rating at the moment.
However we loved Jamaica and the people and will definitely pay a return visit to another establishment.

2 Thank Essexvacationer