Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$488
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$263
US$221
HolidayInn.com
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$525
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$519
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Round Hill Hotel & Villas(Hopewell)(Great Value!)
US$357
US$336
  • Pool
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$266
US$231
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$415
US$258
  • Pool
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$283
US$267
  • Breakfast included
Half Moon(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$577
US$532
Priceline
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$1,666
Hotelpower.com
7,357 results
All reviewswild orchidpreferred clubpiano barjerk chicken cartroom serviceworld cafeour honeymoonbarracuda barsecrets resortbilly loveel patiofrench restaurantwelcome homeprivacy lightst jameswrapspreferred area
Reviewed 8 June 2010

This hotel is a great competition for Sandals and Couples resorts. All the venues for meals in the evening are ala carte. You actually feel like you are going out to dinner every night. Only buffet is breakfast and lunch which both had a wide variety of choices for food. The service at this resort is wonderful. The waiters and waitrees make sure you are completely pleased with any service you need. The rooms on the Orchid side are very upscale, while rooms on the St. James side are more modern. Please anyone who is afraid of this new resort DON'T cancel the reservation because you will have a wonderful and relaxing time. Room Service is great also.

1  Thank June657
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We visited Secrets WO form 5/20-25 in a standard room. Great location in building 2 on the 4th floor (2439). All in all we had a great time but it would be difficult to take us anywhere in the Caribbean and send us home unhappy . This was our 4th visit to Jamaica to an AI. We’d been to Grand Lido Negril, Couples Negril and Couples San Souci on previous visits. I should also mention that we are rather quiet when we visit an AI and don’t care about or participate in many of the “activities” so if those are important to you your assessment may well be different. A few comments on SWO below:

The location is outstanding and very convenient to the airport. This is a huge place compared to any of the others we’d visited. The fact that they call one half Wild Orchid and the other St James does not change the fact that this is one 700 room complex with a single cluster of restaurants, entertainment, etc.
Plenty of loungers around the pool areas and the beach although the chair hogs came out early and “reserved” the prime locations around the pool we overlooked and the beach front area as well. Some would throw a towel and a book on them and not return for hours. Bad form in our opinion. The ground will be very nice over time once the new plantings mature and the grass grows in. Over all very well done.

The staff, with the exception of the front desk, did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. I’m not sure what the problem was with the front desk but I recommend getting a name whenever you request something from the front desk or the concierge because when you call back asking a second time I always got a “first time I’ve heard of this who did you talk to?”.

Room:

First rate materials and amenities but the construction quality is terrible. Shower doors were not installed properly so the magnetic seal would not line up and still marked with calk, adhesive, etc. The handle fell off of the closet door the first time we opened it. Balcony door had some sort of adhesive residue on the handle. The bed was very comfortable and the flat screen is nice with a wide selection of channels. The room was made up nicely every day but you have no idea when it will happen. No big deal for us. Turn down service was sporadic but we don’t care about or need this either.

Food:

Generally very good with a few exceptions but there may be major service issues depending on when and where you go. The World Café offers an awesome breakfast buffet where we overate every morning despite swearing to eat only fruit. None of the other venues were open for breakfast while we were there. Lunch was either at the World Café buffet or one of the poolside restaurants again a nice wide selection at the buffet and good to excellent quality. The wife highly recommends the hot mussels at Oceana if you like that sort of thing.

Himitsu: We ate here twice. The first time it was so warm we could not get finished fast enough although the food and service were excellent. The second time was equally good and we sat outside and had a very pleasant meal. All they need here is some fans for the areas in the back IMHO.

Portofino: We ate here once. Nothing spectacular but no major issues with the service or the food.

Bordeaux: Very disappointed the one time we visited here. The place seems overly crowded with the tables a little too close together for our tastes resulting in a noise level that really doesn’t suit a “French Cuisine” location. Our waiter was either not trained properly or just had too many tables I couldn’t which tell but the service was lacking. To be fair I guess I could say my filet was indeed medium in the aggregate since one side was decidedly well done and the other was clearly rare. Made for an interesting look once sliced into…J

Blue Mountain: We tried but failed to eat here. After 15-20 minutes we had still not been acknowledged and the couple across the aisle remarked that it had taken them 30 minutes, their food was arriving and they were still awaiting the drink they had ordered an hour ago. It looked to us like there was a single waiter…we bailed.

El Patio: We never got here so cannot comment.

Oceana: We ate here…eventually the night we bailed on Blue Mountain. The staff, both of them, were completely overwhelmed. One was the hostess/waitress and the other was the bartender/waiter/busboy/etc. I tipped them both quite well as despite the situation they both did everything they could possibly do to accommodate us. This may have been a rare occurrence as we were told that tomorrow was a Jamaican national holiday and many had called in sick. This may also explain the situation at the Blue Mountain that evening.

Drinks: No worries here Mon it’s all good! Some of the bars may not have the brand you’re looking for (Tanqueray in our case) but the bartenders would make it appear even if they had to go elsewhere. Tips are appreciated but not in any way expected. If you’re like me you take care of those that take care of you.

Spa: Very nice but perhaps a bit pricey. The hydro circuit is nice which comes with any, I think, service that you get. We had the couples massages and if I’ve ever had a better one I can’t remember it.

As we were driving away we both questioned whether we would return or not….we’ll see. As I said the location and the sunset make it pretty appealing once it matures.

3  Thank GQ901
Reviewed 3 June 2010

What an AMAZING stay!!! My husband and I just returned last night from a 4 night stay at Wild Orchid and had a BLAST!!!! As if the resort wasn't beautiful enough, the people were even better! Their entire staff was OVERLY accomodating and thrilled to pamper you every minute of the day. We had an early checkin (10 AM) and upon entering the Preferred Club, we were greated with cool towels, a drink and delicious snacks. Our room was ready upon arrival (I couldn't believe it!) and within 30 minutes of settling and changing, my husband and I were poolside under the gorgeous sun!!

I enjoyed the preferred club and would spend the extra fees when I return. Having snacks, drinks, and free internet 24 hours was just perfect. This was a MUCH needed R&R trip and that's just what we got with the preferred club. We left our phones and computers so it was good to be able to send a quick email home letting our families know we were okay.

The restaurants have DELICIOUS food!!! I don't know where everyone else was staying but the food was GREAT!!! I guess earlier in the opening the food variety/quality may not have been so great but while we were there, it was quite enjoyable. Breakfast was a wonderful buffet (I'm missing it right now! LOL)!! Jerk chicken on the beach EVERY afternoon is a MUST!!!! I also loved the decor in every restaurant. Great design!

The maid service was phenonemal. We always had enough towels and turn down service was equally perfect. Room service was no more than 30 minutes. There was two hours of rain the whole time we were there and my hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's really much needed to cool off! You MUST constantly apply sun block as those rays are piercing!!!

Pools/Beaches are gorgeous and full of friendly workers who seek to make it "a pleasure" to serve you and keep you entertained. Miss you Tanekia!!!

The shopping center is all up and running with a gift shop, souvenier shotp, cigar shop, jewelry and clothing boutique, cafe and the ATM machine has arrived! :)

We got the priviledge to meet one of the owners of the hotel who shared much insight on the building and design of the hotel. All in all, the one kink I think that needs to be worked out is the damage that comes with the rain. When it rains, the mud from the dirt/grass areas rolls down into the walk ways making some dirty looking puddles. Also, the rain washes down the walkways into the beach areas and since they are man made (although you'd never be able to guess that) the sand washes into the ocean in some small sections and leaves behind a rocky residue. I'll take that small kink ANY DAY to be able to go back to Wild Orchid!

If you have any reservations about staying here, DON'T!!! Just go and see for yourself!! :o)

2  Thank CurlyDee
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from April 24 for 5 nights.

Check in – No wait for us. We arrived around 12:30pm. Our room was ready for us 30 minutes after checking in. We were pleasantly surprised and not expecting to get our room that early.

Rooms - Beautiful. Except on closer inspection, very rushed finishing. Paint splattered places where it shouldn’t be - on the glass, baseboards, doors, tile, etc. Could have done a better job finishing the room off. Our tub leaked, but we called them and they fixed it the next day. Maid service could have been better. She did change our towels daily, but never really cleaned, just made our bed and would restock things like soap, etc but not everyday. We had no problems with our AC – it worked like a charm! The curtains blacked out the room great and we had no idea what time it was when we woke up. Very comfortable bed and pillows. We had turndown service every night, without problems. Overall, the room was amazing and we loved it.

Room Service - we made three attempts - first time, we received our food 3 hours later, at 3 in the morning. Second attempt was for drinks, never showed up, even after calling three times. We weren’t too upset about it, as it was only drinks. Third attempt - ordered beer which came about 50 minutes later, which wasn't too bad. My only problem with the room service is they wouldn’t use the secrets box. They would knock and ring the doorbell until you came. I was in the tub the last time we had room service and she wouldn’t go away. I even yelled from the tub to put it in the box but she wouldn’t. She just kept ringing until I had to get out of my tub and answer the door wearing my towel. I am sure this will improve in the weeks to come.

Food - Buffet breakfast actually ran out of eggs one morning around 10am. Other than that, the rest of the mornings were good. They could use some more toasters (and cold milk!). Lunch we ate mostly at Oceana and it was delicious with fresh jerk chicken on the BBQ. They never changed what they offered though, as it was the same food every lunch, buffet style. We never got sick of it. We tried Seaside Grill for lunch one day and didn't like it. That side served off a menu. It however, just opened four days prior and they never had a menu to show. The waiter knew it off by heart it and told us what they had to offer. We ordered the clubhouse and ham sandwich, both of which was not very good. Dinners at the a la cartes were nice. If you want to sit at the tepanyaki table at Himitsu, you must book a time with the concierge. Portofino and Himitsu were our favorites. Most of the a la cartes have limited menus and their cuts of meat could have been better, but still tender for the most part. Sometimes not cooked the way we ordered and smaller portions than most of us are used to, but still filled me up. It was nice that they gave pagers if there was a wait so you didn’t have to wait around outside the restaurant and the piano bar is only steps away. The Oceana and Seaside grill were not open for dinners yet. The buffet actually had lobster a few nights, so the men would go there after we ate and fill their bellies up with lobster after leaving the a la cartes.

Drinks - Drinks were good, however lots of times they ran out of ingredients or certain liquors/brands, depending on what bar you ordered from.

Pool – Pool was great. We only went into the Wild Orchid non-preferred one, so can only speak of that one. They should put a railing in the middle of the steps and some sort of marker at the edges, as some other people have stated, it is hard to see where the steps are. Also, it looks like the pool should connect but it doesn’t. You enter in the one pool, swim over to go under the bridge to get to the swim-up bar, but it is blocked off. You have to hop out to get to the other side. Not a big deal, but it just looks like it is open and maybe they are changing that, not sure. Floating loungers came in the day before we left. Ahhhh! I personally found the wicker beach loungers comfortable – especially the ones without the arms.

Beach was a little rocky but beautiful. Great snorkelling. Grounds are absolutely beautiful and I loved the layout of the whole resort. It was spectacular and the views of Montego Bay were breathtaking.

Staff seemed undertrained, but very friendly and helpful and most of them did try their best. This will only improve.

Lots to do in the evenings. The Cuban piano bar is hard to get a drink at some nights as it is so busy there. Make sure and bring a tip if you want service. The resort is so beautiful to walk around at night with the towers changing colors and viewing the lights of Montego Bay.

For the price we paid, we had a great vacation and got everything we expected and then some.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank freezing_need_sun
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I had reservations to stay at Secrets WO for our 5th anniversary. We were completely thrilled, but it didn't go well from the start. First, over-booking was a problem as we learned 30 days from our scheduled trip and wedding vow renewal. The "included" minister for the renewal was actually an additional $300. We tried contacting Monica, the wedding coordinator, many times, but we were not a priority until we decided to bite the bullet on cancellations and move to another resort. In fact, they advertise 72 hours for a reply, but we waited over a week even though we also contacted 1-800-GOSECRETS several times. We spoke with Kim, Karen, Bonnie, and Debbie over a two week period. Debbie rulely told us their reservations department was not in Jamaica, so "it's not like [they] can just walk over to a desk and tell someone else to do her job."
Clearly the biggest problem with the resort is the lack of communication and attention to details.
With our ties to Relais Chateaux, our expectations are high. Having not actually visited the resort, I can't tell you whether or not you should go. Additionally, this is a new resort and kinks do take time to work out. However, you should know the difficulties we had trying to set up a stay that would cost us over $4,000.
In a few years - maybe when TripAdvisor's recommendations are at least a B average - we might be willing to try again.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple