“Amazing beach”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Amazing beach”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Great service and beautiful location. Best beach and water I have ever seen. Great snokel and scuba resort.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank racer525

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,354)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2010

My husband & I just returned from a 5 night stay at WO. We booked a room in the preferred club section. From the moment we arrived to when we left, we didn't encounter any problems. We ate at all the restaurants with the exception of the mexican food place. Everything was tasty. The entertainment was fun and would highly recommend going to each of the shows. Staff were helpful, gracious and eager to please. We used the spa facilities and had the best massages. We also splurged on a private dinner in one of the gazebos on property. Very romantic. On WO facebook, I read all the discussions before our trip. Two things that were suggested that I would emphasize were to bring insect spray (we used this while sitting out on the balcony) and to bring AA batteries for the safe in case you had a "low battery" signal. The only issue we had (if you can even call it an issue) was trying to find change in order to tip. Hope this review will ease any concerns.

6 Thank Peggy2010
Goddard, Kansas
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Honeymooned at WO on 6/2 to 6/9. Fantastic Resort! Pampered and happy during our stay. Great snorkeling, beautiful beaches, and top rate staff. Special mention to Bernadette, who can work miracles when needed. Minor issues but addressed quickly. Excellent food, great variety, and good liquor. One of the most scenic resorts I have ever stayed in. Spa is unreal, but some of the equipment needs checked. Billy Love and staff welcome you w/ open arms. Stayed on 4th floor with magnificent view all around. Grounds are immaculate. The Preferred side has distinct advantages and is worth checking out. Nice extras such as robes, 24/7 room service, and thick plush towels at pool. Quite simply, the best resort I have encountered in 55 years. Highest Recommendation.

5 Thank FacebookJim
NYC
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Just got back last night from Secrets. My husband and I stayed for 7 nights and we had the time of our life. We booked a swim-out room and a few days before leaving I emailed Caulette to confirm all our booking details. She responded within the hour and confirmed all for me.

When we arrived we checked in immediately and were taken to our room. We had no issues with our room. A small detail was that our room was a handicap swim-out, meaning there was no jetted tub, instead we had a separate bathroom with double shower so my husband and I didn't mind it one bit!. The best part was getting inside the swim-out pool at night.

Romantic Dinner: Such a luxury and wonderful treat. My husband and I felt like we were on our honeymoon all over again. We even slow danced in the gazebo in between servings. If you can't find the romance here...then it's helpless.

Spa: I'm gonna become a spa addict. It was great :-)

Food: Bordeaux is such a romantic and beautiful restaurant for dinner, just make sure you dress accordingly or you can be turned away.

Entertainment: Spectacular!!!! Really, some of the best I've seen at a resort.
The beach was clean.

Staff: Most Excellent, I'd like to thank the following staff-
1)Marlon Mesado, Bellman - So Friendly and nice, thanks Marlon
2)Nadine, Waitress at Baracuda Bar, Piano Bar and Desires, She sure works hard and treated us so great the entire time.
3)Nicholas, Photographer- Another great guy
4)"Danger", Bartender at Desires- works so hard and made sure everyone had a great time no matter what!
5)Issac, Bike tour guide - My husband really liked the tour.

To top it off, we met some great guests who I am sure we'll be friends with for a long time. Meeting them and having a blast together was just the icing on the cake.

So that's my review.
I would absolutely go back in a hearbeat but I have to admit now I'm dying to try Secrets Cap Cana!

Just go and have fun guys. It's Vacation
-Alexandra Torres-Rosario

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My wife and I booked our honeymoon at Secrets Wild Orchid from May24th - May31st. We had read a wide range of reviews, but went with an open mind and knew that we might have to be a little patient as it is still a new resort. We had a good time, but did run into some problems and sadly, we did not have an overall pos...itive experience and ended up coming home 2 days early.
First, the positives...
1. Distance from airport. It was only a 10 minute ride from Sangster airport and you were at the resort.
2. The Wild Orchid Preferred Club rooms are gorgeous as is the view of the bay. You will not be disappointed if you booked one of these.
3. Food variety - Lots of choices for eating. All of the restaurants were opened and offered a wide variety of choices for lunch and dinner. We loved the breakfast and lunch buffet at the World Cafe. Lunch at Oceana and Seaside grill was decent. The food at Bordeaux (French) ,Portofino (Italian), and Himitsu (Japanese) were our favorites. Try the filet at Bordeaux, and the Jamaican Snapper at Portofino. El Patio (Mexican) was decent, but not like Tex Mex you would find in the states. We did not try Blue Mountain (Jamaican) and everyone who we talked to did not like it. The room service menu was also very good for lunch and dinner.
4. Bed and bath - The bed was heavenly. I never slept on something so comfortable. The bath and amenities were also wonderful. We both loved the rainwater shower head, and soaking tub on the balcony.
Sadly, those are all of the positives.
Now the negatives...
1. Service - the service was really atrocious for a resort of this caliber - especially one which caters to honeymooners, couples, and adults.
- On the whole, people were simply not friendly. There were some who were very friendly, but the majority of the time you never got a greeting when you walked up to a hostess stand or bartender – just a question, like “How many?” or “What do you want?” We have been to Aruba,
Cayman Islands, and Cancun, and as a comparison, the people just seemed warmer and more eager to serve and please.
- I had booked our reservation online through secretsresorts.com. I had received an email confirmation and even called 866-GOSECRETS to confirm the reservation 2 weeks prior. We arrived at the hotel at 2:30PM – with check-in at 3:... See More00PM. When we first arrived, they had us in St. James instead of Wild Orchid. That might not seem too bad, but it is about a 10 minute walk from the St. James Preferred Club to the restaurants and bars. The woman at the front desk kept arguing with me saying that St. James has the same amenities, and that my confirmation was wrong – even though it came from their booking system. She said, please wait while she got a supervisor to give us an explanation. I told her I did not want an explanation, I wanted our room. After 30 minutes of waiting, she sent us over to Wild Orchid Preferred Club. When we got to WO PC, we waited another 15 minutes to see someone at the reservations desk. His name was Conroy. He said, our rooms were not ready yet, because they had to be cleaned, but we could wait in the lounge and it would be a “few moments”. He checked us in, charged my card, and gave us our credits for the spa. (I’ll get to that later). Every 15 minutes, Conroy would come over and say, “just a few more moments, they are making your room very nice…” Well this went on for an hour until he finally came back and said, “the room is ready, but the batteries for the door lock need replaced, so I am going to put you in another room.” My wife and I both looked at each other, like, “well how hard is it to replace some batteries in a door lock?” Tired and frustrated, we said, “that is fine, just take us to our room.” We were in room 1312 and when we arrived, Conroy showed us around and told us how to work stuff and said he would have our bags brought up “right away”. My wife and I grabbed some snacks and drinks from the mini bar and sat on the balcony to await our luggage. 30 minutes passed before we called the front desk to ask for our bags. It was now 5:30PM… Conroy said, “I had your bags sent up they should be there.” I told him they were not and he said he would have them brought up in a “few moments”. 15 minutes later the bags arrived. Not a good first impression…
The preferred club also boasts, waiter service on the private beach. This is true if you do not mind waiting 20 minutes for a couple of drinks. There were 3 waiters servicing the preferred club on Wild Orchid side, and we counted at most - 30 people on the beach and by the pool. The servers seemed to take their time getting to people and ... getting the drinks back. Then they would stand there expecting a tip. By the 3rd day, I would just walk to the Barracuda bar and get my own drinks.
- Spa – The spa looked awesome, but was terribly overpriced. $160 for a 1 hour massage. $80 – for a 25 minute massage. We walked down the 3rd day (Wednesday) to see the services they offered and maybe make an appointment. They gave us a tour and the facilities looked wonderful, but it was odd that we only counted 4 workers and 3 clients in the entire spa. There was no one in the nail salon either… We couldn’t decide so we decided to call later to make an appointment. When we finally did decide, we tried to call back, but no one picked up the phone despite letting it ring for more than 5 minutes. When I did finally get through, we tried to make an appointment for Saturday for: 2 neck, back, and shoulder massages, 2 spa manicures, 2 spa pedicures. They said they could fit us in for the massages, but not at the same time and we could not use our spa credits for them (even though it specifically says, “Good for massages, facials, and wraps”). I said, never mind the massages, we just want manicures and pedicures. She said they were all booked all ready. I asked if there were any times for Friday or Sunday and she said “no, sorry we are all booked.” We were disappointed, but decided to walk down on Friday and we did not see anyone in there getting any manicures or pedicures. I am guessing they are understaffed, which is fine, but don’t boast a world class spa – when it isn’t operational.
-Shopping – shopping was a joke. They have 5 overpriced stores of clothing and jewelry. The jeweler tried selling us 1/2 carat blue diamond necklace for $1500 and when I asked for a certificate of authenticity from EGA or AGA, he said, we could use the receipt to get it appraised back home… The woman in the clothing store said all of the clothes were Egyptian cotton, hand made in India, but they were selling blouses for $450. We laughed and left, and ended up buying some post cards and magnets in the souvenir shop. However, when I handed the cashier a $20 bill, she said “Nothing smaller?!” Then we waited 10 minutes for her to try to make $17 in change.
-Concierge – We understood that if you wanted to eat at Himitsu at the Teppanyaki tables, you would need to make a reservation. We went down on Friday and asked if we could. The concierge asked for which table – sit down or Teppanyaki? We said Teppanyaki. Without even checking the computer… she said, “Sorry no reservations. We are all booked.” I questioned, “for the entire evening?” She replied, “yes sir, all evening.” Later we went to Himitsu at 6:00PM. This hostess actually was friendly and greeted us with a smile and asked how many and for which table – Teppanyaki, or sit down. I asked if there were available seats for Teppanyaki and she said, “of course!” We were sat at a table that only had 4 people at it! They seat 10 at each, meaning there 6 empty seats without reservations. We were upset that the concierge didn’t even bother to check…
- Weather and bugs – they had a nightly mosquito fumigation between 5:30 and 6:30PM. It didn’t really help. Bring your bug spray! It also rained every day and one day it rained from 4:00PM until 10AM the next morning. When we were walking back from Portofino, we saw workers frantically spreading towels down in front of the doors on for the rooms on the ground floor because it was like a flood zone! Lots of people were complaining that they had floods in their rooms. The next day, we were walking on the beach and saw all of these big channels of sand that had been washed out by the rain. The landscaping and lighting were all caved in and workers were there dumping buckets of DIRT, in the sand to build it up again… Also, when it is overcast, they will not rent snorkel equipment, but will rent out sailboats and kayaks… All I wanted to do all week was snorkel, and the lady in the dive shop said, not while it is overcast, or after 3:30PM. So good luck with that.
-Construction – you can tell that this place was either: put up in a hurry, or put up using the worst/cheapest building materials available. When we were walking around, we could see water stains from some of the window sills, where the paint was cracking and washing away. Our rooms also had cracks in the walls and shotty paint jobs around the trim, etc. It looks like they just slapped this place together to get it ready for opening. Take a look around at the structures inside and out and you will see what I mean.
With all of these negatives adding up, we decided to call it quits and come home early. They did give us a refund on our last 2 days, which was very nice, but in reality, this being our honeymoon – we were very disappointed with our stay and would never go back to Jamaica or this Secrets again.
Also, with this being our honeymoon – we were very disappointed with our stay - would never go back to Jamaica or this Secrets again.

2 Thank temetnosce
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 8 June 2010

This hotel is a great competition for Sandals and Couples resorts. All the venues for meals in the evening are ala carte. You actually feel like you are going out to dinner every night. Only buffet is breakfast and lunch which both had a wide variety of choices for food. The service at this resort is wonderful. The waiters and waitrees make sure you are completely pleased with any service you need. The rooms on the Orchid side are very upscale, while rooms on the St. James side are more modern. Please anyone who is afraid of this new resort DON'T cancel the reservation because you will have a wonderful and relaxing time. Room Service is great also.

1 Thank June657
Germantown, TN
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We visited Secrets WO form 5/20-25 in a standard room. Great location in building 2 on the 4th floor (2439). All in all we had a great time but it would be difficult to take us anywhere in the Caribbean and send us home unhappy . This was our 4th visit to Jamaica to an AI. We’d been to Grand Lido Negril, Couples Negril and Couples San Souci on previous visits. I should also mention that we are rather quiet when we visit an AI and don’t care about or participate in many of the “activities” so if those are important to you your assessment may well be different. A few comments on SWO below:

The location is outstanding and very convenient to the airport. This is a huge place compared to any of the others we’d visited. The fact that they call one half Wild Orchid and the other St James does not change the fact that this is one 700 room complex with a single cluster of restaurants, entertainment, etc.
Plenty of loungers around the pool areas and the beach although the chair hogs came out early and “reserved” the prime locations around the pool we overlooked and the beach front area as well. Some would throw a towel and a book on them and not return for hours. Bad form in our opinion. The ground will be very nice over time once the new plantings mature and the grass grows in. Over all very well done.

The staff, with the exception of the front desk, did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. I’m not sure what the problem was with the front desk but I recommend getting a name whenever you request something from the front desk or the concierge because when you call back asking a second time I always got a “first time I’ve heard of this who did you talk to?”.

Room:

First rate materials and amenities but the construction quality is terrible. Shower doors were not installed properly so the magnetic seal would not line up and still marked with calk, adhesive, etc. The handle fell off of the closet door the first time we opened it. Balcony door had some sort of adhesive residue on the handle. The bed was very comfortable and the flat screen is nice with a wide selection of channels. The room was made up nicely every day but you have no idea when it will happen. No big deal for us. Turn down service was sporadic but we don’t care about or need this either.

Food:

Generally very good with a few exceptions but there may be major service issues depending on when and where you go. The World Café offers an awesome breakfast buffet where we overate every morning despite swearing to eat only fruit. None of the other venues were open for breakfast while we were there. Lunch was either at the World Café buffet or one of the poolside restaurants again a nice wide selection at the buffet and good to excellent quality. The wife highly recommends the hot mussels at Oceana if you like that sort of thing.

Himitsu: We ate here twice. The first time it was so warm we could not get finished fast enough although the food and service were excellent. The second time was equally good and we sat outside and had a very pleasant meal. All they need here is some fans for the areas in the back IMHO.

Portofino: We ate here once. Nothing spectacular but no major issues with the service or the food.

Bordeaux: Very disappointed the one time we visited here. The place seems overly crowded with the tables a little too close together for our tastes resulting in a noise level that really doesn’t suit a “French Cuisine” location. Our waiter was either not trained properly or just had too many tables I couldn’t which tell but the service was lacking. To be fair I guess I could say my filet was indeed medium in the aggregate since one side was decidedly well done and the other was clearly rare. Made for an interesting look once sliced into…J

Blue Mountain: We tried but failed to eat here. After 15-20 minutes we had still not been acknowledged and the couple across the aisle remarked that it had taken them 30 minutes, their food was arriving and they were still awaiting the drink they had ordered an hour ago. It looked to us like there was a single waiter…we bailed.

El Patio: We never got here so cannot comment.

Oceana: We ate here…eventually the night we bailed on Blue Mountain. The staff, both of them, were completely overwhelmed. One was the hostess/waitress and the other was the bartender/waiter/busboy/etc. I tipped them both quite well as despite the situation they both did everything they could possibly do to accommodate us. This may have been a rare occurrence as we were told that tomorrow was a Jamaican national holiday and many had called in sick. This may also explain the situation at the Blue Mountain that evening.

Drinks: No worries here Mon it’s all good! Some of the bars may not have the brand you’re looking for (Tanqueray in our case) but the bartenders would make it appear even if they had to go elsewhere. Tips are appreciated but not in any way expected. If you’re like me you take care of those that take care of you.

Spa: Very nice but perhaps a bit pricey. The hydro circuit is nice which comes with any, I think, service that you get. We had the couples massages and if I’ve ever had a better one I can’t remember it.

As we were driving away we both questioned whether we would return or not….we’ll see. As I said the location and the sunset make it pretty appealing once it matures.

3 Thank GQ901
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!