“I will not recommend Secrets Wild Orchard Montego Bay”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“I will not recommend Secrets Wild Orchard Montego Bay”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My friend and I were there this weekend for 5 days. We were very excited and thought it will be a nice place to stay but I give a rating of 1 after seeing most ppl giving 2 for this place. We were very disappointed with this place and I am not recommending anyone to go there until they improve their services. It’s not worth of your money.

location: 15 min cab ride and most drivers would ask for $30 at MBJ, but we found a $20 ride to the hotel so that was not too bad.

Hotel was nice looking, very modern and clean. Lobby was very nice and it’s almost like Canyon Ranch Miami....nice arrangement with flowers and furniture, personal check-in desk, warm towels and beverage, so we were happy to be there.

Room: was very nice and clean. We had two beds and they were very comfortable. Our room was quiet and had a nice ocean view. However, our sink was busted one day. There was a flood every where. The building is new but the quality of the place remains some serious concern. Mini bar in the room was a bit lacking with 4 Red Strips and 3 baby size bottle waters and few cans of Sodas. But we don’t’ do beers or sodas so we were ok for that.

services: I would say this is the worst place for getting any service. The house keeping for some strange reason would not stock up for things like shampoo, soap, waters or shower caps, etc every time s/he is there...we are girls and needed to use type of stuff like that all the time. So everyday we had to call and request them. the thing was we usually didn’t know until we need them. So we had to wait for hours before getting them so most of the time we just used the soap from the first day to wash our hair because it usually takes them 2-4 hrs to deliver what we requested or most of the time they didn’t even bother....and this is like happening every day. I complained to the front desk and asked them to request the housekeeping to do a final check when cleaning our place so s/he won’t forget what area needed for the room ...however, that was a dream. So finally we were so fed up with this and complained to the manager. The front desk person said the manger will call us back but no one ever did. the last day there we were very angry and threaded to ask for our money back and then we got some attention there. But then the last morning there, I called night before requesting a wakeup call, guess what, we never got one. Good thing we somehow didn’t trust them so we set up our phone to wake us up or we would miss our flights.

Food; no one every stocked our mini bar either. The 3 or 4 baby bottle waters run out fast and easy everyday....when you call them, they either ignore your request or delivered some warm bottle waters to you3 hours later. We ordered a room service once and it didn’t come until 1:30hrs later while they told you to wait for 50min. The World Café restaurant was good for both breakfast and lunch....definitely don’t miss it. Other restaurants were just ok. I won’t give a feedback on restaurants since everyone’s standard is different. I think they are from not so good to ok. The Japanese restaurant was the worst. And we are wine drinkers and they did o not have anything that’s drinkable unless you pay for a bottle yourself and we were just not going to do that after paying for all. Also there is a jerked chicken car that suppose goes around the hotel every other day but we only saw them once and what the hotel staff told us the every other day or both Sat and Sun was not true....we happened to love jerked chicken and was waiting and looking for it all the time. That’s how we knew.

entertainment: nothing going on there. The “night club” called Desires is mostly half empty. The night when we were there, there was a hotel employee called Troy, I believe he works in World Café, was there dancing with us and pretty much forced himself on us....when we tried to leave to our room after we felt uncomfortable there, Troy was like following us....so single girls be careful there. Dont’ drink too much there. We were bit concerned there.

beaches: some parts of them are rocky...not just rocks. They are sharp rocks

Hotel staff: most of them are very nice. But man they do take their time to help you out. I know we were supposed to relax and not to worry about the time. But you don’t wanna sit there waiting for a glass of water or wine if you can get to the beach and relax there. That’s why you were there for.

lastly, when we checked out at the desk, we filled out the survey about the hotel...we saw most ppl giving 2 and some are giving 1 with the best 3 for this place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank travelfun02151

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,441)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
BOSTON,MA.
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Spent 5 glorious days and thought it was the best "All inclusive" resort I've ever been to ! People were Great, Food was fantastic (american beef,pork and chicken ) and if you've traveled you know what a diffrence that can be ! the most relaxing vac. in years. Never left the premises..didn't have to. Top shelf liquor ,FREE room service 24hr., Free drinks in room refrig. stocked daily, daily linens,towels + turn down w/choc. on pillow nightly. there's a huge world out there with many places to see/go and this gem is one i would definitely go back to ! also something i never gave much thought to....it's only 20min. from airport ! Should have been rated a "10" star resort !

1 Thank BIGRILEZ
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The hotel is good. Very far from their advertised 5 star. It's closer to a 3 1/2 star. But don't be discourage, the hotel is good! Well it's good if it was priced rite. For the money you spend you can go right next door to them and have the same experience but you will save 20 to 30 % (Sunset Beach) I will just name a few problems I had with secrets. Again the hotel is nice, I was unhappy because I paid 5 star price and I should not had have the following problems. I was in room 1304 in the prefered side. First thing I noticed was the paint was chipping on the balcony and falling directly in the soak tub on the balcony. They advertised 24 hour room service, however after 11:00pm they are offering you ham and cheese sandwich, no full meals. Prior to 11:00pm their menu has about 7 meals, however only 2 to 3 were available. The bathroom smelled like urine for the 10 days I was there, I believe there was a plumbing leak somewhere. Othere thank the first day. I had to call and request face & body towels everyday. And they will deliver them after 6pm. There is not enough lights in the hall ways at night, on 2 occeasion I actually was fumbling with someone else door in error. I could not turn on the light on the balcony, I called the front desk for help. I was informed that all 700 rooms in the hotel are on one switch, and that they are not going to turn the light on at that time. For the record I was there 10 days and they lights didn't come on once. They food stinks, I mean they have about 9 restaurants. It looks good but they need to have a buffet style restaurant with all type of foods. Kind of what the do for breakfast. The beach stinks, but they can't change that. It's base on the side of the island they hotel is. I had wi internet, however it didn't work in my room. I had to go on the DARK! balcony to get connection. I paid for top shelf liquor, however their idea of top shelf was Appleton & an empty bottle of grey goose. Lots more can't remember them all. In fairness here are the good things. The entire staff all aspects were great. They pools were great. And best of all they provide a free bus daily to margritiville.

1 Thank babyleg10
newjersey
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed on the preferred side in a swimout suite. As long as you don't mind being close to the restaurants and nightly entertainment you will find it to be a perfect location as we did. The pool on that side is small, but we mostly stayed on the beach so it didn't matter to us. When we wanted to go in the pool to cool off we just went in the swimout pool. Which note, does not meet the pool ( we think that was a mistake). The water down on the end where we were was a little disappointing because it was very rocky and sharp in alot of areas, you could find a spot to walk in , but it wasn't worth it to take the chance. Food was very good, which we were concerned about since it was so close to the opening. Also we liked being so close of a ride from the airport. There was'nt any airplane noise, although we'd see a few off in the distance it never was a problem. I want to go back again soon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mommomnj
Kent
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Although this review is late - we had a fabulous time at Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica. We never experienced one problem and wouldn't hestitate in returning. The beds are too die for - I think I did most nights so comfortable. Food, Drink & Staff - excellent. I look forward to returning in the very near future.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shis01
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Let me begin by saying that this is the second Secrets resort my husband and I have stayed at. We went to the Secrets Maroma last year for our honeymoon and loved everything about the place so when it was time to go on vacation this year, I thought we were set going to another Secrets. Boy, was I wrong. The trip started out bad from the airport when we had someone come and grab our bags and just start walking with them outside, probably about 10 feet then flat out asked for a tip then when they were moved another 10 feet to the bus another request for a tip. I don't think that these people were with the hotel but it was shocking still.
I will start with the few positives that we encountered on the trip. When we got to the hotel, the lobby was very nice and our check in person was very nice as well, no problems there. We went to the room, and it was also very nice and modern. The entertainment staff was very nice and most of the bar tenders. Dinner food was good, in fact, there seemed to be more options than the mexico Secrets we went to.
Negatives:
Housekeeping: Very inconsistent. The first night we were there, we had a special rate for the room, then it showed us checking out then checking back in at a different rate, so when housekeeping did not come to clean the room or stock the mini bar that day we understood. However, when it happened the next 3 days where we had to call for them to come in to get us towels it was a little upsetting. They also never had a timeframe when they would come in when they did come in. Some days when we came in from the pool around 3 or 4 the room would be done, most of the time though it would not be done so we would have to wait around to do anything to see if they were going to come in. So taking a nap or shower was out of the question in case they would come in. If you put your privacy light on they would still come in. I was told by the housekeeper that they still come in if the light is on because sometimes guests leave it on by accident. As for the mini bar, it was never stocked like it should have been, we had to call housekeeping and then they would call the mini bar service for us to get drinks. When they did bring them, it was always warm when they brought it. We also did not have toilet paper for 2 days and had to use tissues instead. All inclusive expensive resort and we had to use tissues for the bathroom.
Beach: The worst beach I have ever seen. Full of rocks, big rocks where you had to wear your flip flops or you could really hurt yourself and it was like that in the water too. When you tried to lay on the beach, because it was so rocky, your chair was never on flat ground. Also, the set up of the beach was strange. They were separated by these pier type things so taking a nice long walk on the beach was not possible. If you want to walk in the morning or at night you have to walk the path around the resort, not the beach.
Customer Service: For the most part, people were nice, except in the shops on the resort grounds. In the Rum Shop and one of the t-shirt shops the cashiers would hardly look at you or even talk to you. I picked out a t-shirt in one of the shops and went to the counter the girl did not say a single word to my husband or myself. I had taken a $20 out to pay for the shirt and she rang it in, took the $20 out of my hand put the shirt in the bag and handed it to me. I asked how much it was and she just said $20. I find that hard to believe it was the exact amount I happen to take out, good thing I didn't take out a $50. People in the casino were about the same, not very friendly at all. Most of the bar tenders were nice, but sometimes when you went to order they were more concerned with talking to each other then you. The same is said for the Trip Reps that you meet with when you get there to set up your return trip and the lady gave us our paperwork for when we leave and then her cell phone rang and rang very loud and she kept checking it instead of talking with us. We asked her about some excursions we could do and she gave us a few things and their prices then back to her cell phone that was ringing again. No details or suggestions.
Bars/wait service at the pool/beach: They only had about 3 waiters on the pool and beach at all times so getting drinks was not easy. If you were at the pool the service was better but if you were on the beach, good luck. If you were sitting anywhere near the bar on the beach then you never got a waiter, I guess they figured that we were close enough to the bar to get our own. Because they only had a few waiters for the pool and beach that by the time you place your order and got back to you your drink it was warm or melted. The outside bars closed pretty early as well.
Misc: Three separate times when we came back from dinner or the pool, we would go up to our room on the 5th floor and our keys would not work, so we had to go back down to the lobby and have them reset, and even then when we would go back only one would work. Also, if you wanted to make change to have money to tip, good luck. We went to 3 different shops and the casino and nobody could break a few $20's for us so we could tip if we wanted to. On the pool deck they would play loud music all day. My husband and I did not mind because we are in our 20's and it was music we liked but if you were there for a quite honeymoon or maybe an older couple I would not like that very much. On our last day there, people were doing whip cream body shots off the swim up bar. It was all in good fun, but not very classy or upscale like you would expect an all inclusive to be. Also, they charge you to use the internet, whereas at the Secrets Maroma it was free. I guess I thought that since we were paying so much for the hotel that internet was free...wrong.
Overall, the trip was ok but we will not go back there again, people outside the resort were pushy and our experience at the resort was not great either. We just kept saying that at least we got a vacation but will never go back there again.

3 Thank BeachFun83
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We just returned last night Sept. 4, 2010 from a 7 day stay at Secrets Wild Orchid. While the appearance of the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are great the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. We arrived on Sunday Aug. 29 and it was raining as we were being checked in. It was 1:30 pm and we were told we had to wait as our room was not ready. We were staying in the Preferred Club section of Wild Orchid. We waited at the bar right off the check in area. The rain was coming in thru all the doors and towels were thrown all over the floor to try and stop it. Finally at 4 pm we were told our room was ready. When we got to our room it was very nice with a great view of the Ocean and Mountains.Since it was raining and we were tired from our flight we decided to order room service. This worked out well as we only had to wait 45 minutes for our dinner to arrive. On Monday we went to breakfast at the World Cafe. It was buffet style which was fine and there were alot of choices, however the French toast and Pancakes were cold from being set out ahead of time. The beach at the Preferred Club was beautiful and the water was crystal clear, however there were jelly fish in the water and my brother in law got stung. No one told us about this! We went to Portofino the Italian restaurant for dinner and I had the Lazagna- Big Mistake- it tasted like something you would buy at the grocery store in the frozen section. On Tuesday it had rained in the afternoon so we went back to our room. I was looking for the robes that come with the room and they were gone. Housekeeping had taken them and not replaced them. I called the front desk but we never got them replaced. The next night we went to take showers before dinner, our room had been cleaned but as we were getting out of the shower I realized we did not have any bath towels. Again I called the front desk and within 2 hours( yes 2 hours) had towels. The restaurants are not air conditioned so ask to sit outside as at least there will be a breeze. The Japanese Restaurant was fair and the French restaurant left alot to be desired especially getting there at 8 pm and not being served until 9:30 pm. Also you would think the French restaurant would have a good desert such as Creme Brulee but no the Mexican restaurant had that.Do not order the Beef Tenderloin at the French restaurant as you could not even chew it it was so tough. Eat some snacks before you go for dinner as they give you only enough to fill a cavity in your tooth.The Restaurants in my opinion need either a new chef or menu as eveything tasted the same no matter what place you ate at and the portions were very very small.I would give the restaurants a 2 on a 1-5 scale.
The entertainment left alot to be desired. We have been to Jamaica 6 times previously and had a blast at some of the resorts but this place did not even play music while you were on the beach. It was really really boring. The shows at night left alot to be desired also. As far as beach activites we wanted to go out on the Hobie Cats and everytime we went we were told there was not enough wind to go out- funny the one day we were told that a sailboat from Sandals resort was streaming by! All in all if you want a very laid back vacation that involves staying at the beach and going to bed at 9 pm then by all means go to this resort. Do not pay the extra money for the preferred club as the only difference between these rooms are they put snacks out during the day. Not worth the extra money.If you want another wine for dinner besides the house wine be prepared to pay. At Sandals you could get any wine for no extra charge. The house white wine was horrible! In fact there was not 1 restaurant I could honestly say I enjoyed. If you are looking for seafood look elsewhere as there isn't even a seafood restaurant.Yes you could get musscles at the beach grill but along with that they only had hamburgs, hot dogs and pizza. This is a Carribean resort and NO seafood restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!

Having stayed in Jamaica 6 previous times at different resorts I can tell you by no means is this ALL INCLUSIVE worth the money it cost us to stay here.The food was bad, entertainment lacking, anf just a very boring place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!