“Bliss” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casablanca Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Casablanca Beach Hotel
Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Manchester England
“Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

I stayed at the Casablanca Beach Hotel in March 1993, when my husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. We had a massive room and an equally massive balcony right over the sea - it was idyllic. We loved the food, the staff and the attention we received and couldnt fault it at all. What a shame the hotel ( according to other reviews) has apparently lost its charm and elegance, but there again, so has my marriage! - nothing lasts forever ! I personally would love to visit again to see for myself. Julie, Manchester, England

• Liked — It was a large room and balcony overlokking the sea
  • Stayed March 2004, travelled as a couple
7 Thank juliewhitehd

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

We stayed at the Casablanca just a few days ago (January 4-11, 2008 )so I have up to date news about it. The Casablanca is the oldest hotel on the Hip Strip, and you can literally feel the history of the place soak into you. Our room was fairly standard, but it had a huge bed, working shower, hot water, and a balcony right on the ocean. We could see fish swimming below and sea urchins on the rocks. It does have a delapidated feel to it. The owners could definitely put a lot of money into this place, but they don't seem inclined to do so. Some positives: about two doors down from Margaritaville!, not far from the new casino across the street, there's a mean security guard who will yell loudly at any peddler that tries to get to you, you literally walk out of the hotel lobby onto the hip strip, the Jamaican Bobsled cafe is down the street, the beach is down below the hotel, a cute lizard lived on our balcony, great views of the ocean, and you can walk to the craft market or practically anywhere else in Montego Bay. Some negatives: you often have to go through the public beach to get to the hotel beach, and really the hotel beach isn't a private one. They only accept cash!!! This was astounding to us and could really deter some people from staying there I"m sure. Overall I would probably say this is a place for people who are not into the all inclusive scene, for people who like to go to a place that has a lot of history, for people who like a sort of 1920s feeling, for people who want to be able to be at the center of it all, but can walk a few steps and get away from it all as well!

• Liked — balcony view of ocean
  • Disliked — could use some sprucing up
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ArmandaArkansas
atlanta, ga
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

This place used to be nice MANY years ago, probably a very elegant place back in the day. Unless you don't mind staying at a Motel 6 then you might be ok staying here. Service was horrible. They only accept cash, which we were not told and had to walk down the street to the ATM. The restaurant was never open and the girl at the front desk had no clue when and if it would be. We had a small roll of used toilet paper. The next morning I called for some more, never arrived, I walked to the front desk twice and asked the girl and she told me I would have to wait until the maid arrived but she did not know when that would be. Two hours later I talked her into opening another room and getting some there. She agreed but was very rude about it. There was only one other couple staying at the hotel so it wasn't like she was busy, Since the restaurant was not open, I had to walk 10 min to Burger King to get coffee.
The room itself was large and had a nice ocean view and a big patio. The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were equally as hard. The sheets felt like sand paper and were old and worn. The entire place has not been painted in 30 years. The base boards and floors were filthy. The bathroom was old and small with not a drop of hot water. The furniture was old (think cheap from the 1930's), the TV was so old it had no remote. There was no furniture on the patio, The girl at the front desk told us that half of the hotel was closed because it was so rundown. I don't think this place would pass inspection in the USA. It was also very noisy, could every car and all the loud music. I did not feel safe, the lock was flimsy and the place was not secure at all.
Thank goodness we only stayed there one night. We had been at a nice resort all week and thought it would be nice to stay in Montego Bay and eat at some local places, do some shopping, etc. WRONG! We left for the airport (10min away) 4 hours before our flight because the place was so awful. Truly the worst place I have ever seen.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank laurac1964
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2007

The Casa Blanca is the best location in Montego Bay. The hotel is undergoing slow refurbishing but has huge rooms and is very elegant, but a little run down. Grand entry way with marble floors. Attached resturant, with over the sea dinnig, is very elegant and affordable.
We had a huge room with a huge balcony, overlooking the sea, #8 . All the rooms are accessed by a garden walkway. The pool was undergoing repairs but was very large. Too bad we could not take advantage of it. It is not a modern room it is a 1920's room with old dressers and beautifull four poster bed. Mattress is fine. Bath room could be updated but ok. the
air conditioning worked well. Free admission to Dr. Cave Beach, and snorkeling right there.
This is the best beach on Montego Bay. Street vendors are pushy, but after the second day know you and leve you alone.The Casa Blanca is right in the middle of the hip strip and the other hotels. We checked the other hotels and the rate was equivalent, but most included breakfast, the Casa Blanca did not. The view was worth the price of breakfast. We watched the sunset every night from our balcony.
We had a wonderful time at the Casa Blanca and will return again.
Cab rides are $10.00 to the airport and $10.00 to down town, a 20 minute walk otherwise.
Note: at Doctors Cave Beach you can rent a sailboat for $10.00 with a captain. Ask for Captain Bull. You can arrange for deep sea fishing there also. Doctors Cave Beach is a one minute walk fron the hotel. Bring a mask and snorkel, the marine park is right at the beach.
We went to the falls and that was worth it.
We went downtown and that was good.
we took the ATV trip, that was worth it. Negotiate all of you taxi rides first and shop around.
Have fun.
JIM

• Liked — large rooms large balcony great view
  • Disliked — very dated pool did not work
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank jimslattery
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2007

Okay let me have a shot at this. I agree with the "decaying grandure" comment, but it is good enough. For $140 a night we had a large room with a 4 poster king size bed and a shaded balcony with nothing in front of us other than Cuba over 90 miles of open ocean. The bed and dresser appear to be original 1930s. The floors and wood plank.. It is like walking back to the "old Caribbean". The attached restaurant is one of the best in Montego Bay and is cheap $14 - $30and has banana flambe' at $5. There wa only one other couple in the pool which was clean and has a great view. The public beach is adjacent and has great snorkeling with coral heada a easy swim from the beach. The room and hall way is clean the the maid staff is friendly. We had a good time and do not like cookie cutter all inclusive resorts. we like to interact with the Jamaicans and do a little exploring. Try the Pork PIt for REAL jerk.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — poor maintenance
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
10 Thank Heysailor
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2006

Well, I must agree with a previous post that said the hotel is not what it was - once upon a time, it was really a grand old place right on the sea for whites only. Dear oh dear. I must say the management was clearly not aware that they are not all that any more, because my three white friends and I (black Jamaican woman!!!)were given a really poor welcome. When we arrived no members of the management were there but the cleaning staff and bellboys gave us a warm welcome. They obviously see the place decaying around them but remain loyal. When the managers arrived (bizarrely, they apparently have to be there to let you into the rooms) they were quite rude and it took everything out of us to pay the money and stay the night. In the end, we told them we stayed there because of the location only. (highly embarassing for me as a Jamaican that this was my friends' intro to my country) However, it's right next to Doctor's cave beach, on the hip strip and your balcony is almost in the sea. Nowhere else can compete with that. It's worth it for the view, and who knows, if you fit the profile of who they think is good enough to be in their hotel (rich and/or famous??), then perhaps you might be better welcomed... Other reviews which say it is under constant renovation are correct...most of the rooms seemed closed...I wonder if they'll ever finish?

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Local09
Cape Fear, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2006

The Casa Blanca was the first resort built in Jamaica, back in the 1920's. It used to be a world-class, whites-only place. Errol Flynn stayed here in the 1940's. Today it's a shadow of its former self. Work has me travel to Montego Bay every year or so, and I've stayed here several times; it's always in a state of crumbling renovation, with prosperity just around the corner... the owner is cutting serious corners with the guests food and accomodations, but you should get over it; it's still got a lovely roccoco charm, and it's within walking distance of all the shops and resteraunts in Doctor's Cove. Yes, there's no hot water in the rooms, but it's withing crawling distance of Margaritaville! I wouldn't stay here for a week, but I wouldn't stay in Montego Bay for a week; too commercial.

Stayed February 2004