“Fantastic Stay at Irie Ites”

Jah Billy's Irie Ites Guesthouse
Ranked #12 of 43 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
“Fantastic Stay at Irie Ites”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed at Irie Ites for 4 days in early August and am thrilled to have done so. Billy was a most gracious and helpful host. I saved a ton of money staying at this guesthome/hostel, and as Billy said, "got to feel the heartbeat of Jamaica".

I came for my cousin's wedding in one of the fancy all inclusive resorts but did not feel like staying there, nor did I have the cash. Thus, I booked with Billy. After booking and a brief email exchange, Billy arranged to pick me up from the airport. Upon arrival, he picked me up so I did not have to try and arrange and haggle with the redplate taxis. He took me to a place for money exchange with a favorable exchange rate, and then to the grocery to pick up any goods I may need. This is included at no cost!

From there, we went back to Billy's home, which is up on Bogue Hill, about 10-15 minutes from the airport. Bogue Hill is beautiful, with an amazing view down onto MoBay. It is a regular residential neighborhood, and there are not many other tourists around. Billy has two private units, and I stayed in one with a bedroom, kitchen (with fridge and stove), and bathroom for $30/night. The units are great, clean, and just what you need. They are not fancy, but that's not what we are paying for. There also is no air conditioning, but being up on the hill has a nice breeze and Billy has fans too. I felt absolutely cool enough with this. Only "downside" of the place are the local roosters calling in the morning. It is nice some mornings, but if you stayed out late they are a slight annoyance.

From there, getting around is not hard. You can hail an official redplate taxi and haggle, though it will be hard to get a local price as they know we're tourist. Usually you can get into town for $5-10, and back for around the same price. IF you want however, you can have Billy drive you around his CRV for cheaper. I want to stress this, that Billy is happy to drive you anywhere or come get you anywhere. And, though you can get a local $1.50 into town rate, it is cheaper than haggling as a tourist on the side of the road. Billy drove me, picked up my friends and family at a resort across town, and then drove us 45 minutes to Glistening Waters and back all for $25. Taxis would have cost much much more, especially at night, and Billy was more than gracious.

Overall, Billy was a tremendous host; just friendly, funny, kind and most of all, he does not try and hustle you. His accomodations are great, and you will not regret staying here.

Room Tip: Email Billy after you've booked and he can help arrange getting you from the airport!