“Didn't Take Long to Call it Home”

Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here for a week with my sister in May 2013 (both college students). Hands down one of the best experiences we've ever had. This place is fantastic. Arlene was very helpful in planning events (cave exploration, Rasta Village, waterfalls, tour of Bob Marley's home, etc.) and helping us get settled in.

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with indoor pools this is not the place for you. However, if you want a true experience of what Jamaica is like, staying with Arlene and her partner Firstman will surely give you a first hand experience of the beautiful Jamaican culture. Also, the balcony view is priceless, and the company is sure to be welcoming and entertaining, there is a house keeper too - and its extremely affordable.

I was worried that it wouldn't be close enough to the city, but it didn't turn out to be an issue. Public transportation id fairly easy to maneuver, just have some confidence in yourself - again Arlene helps tremendously making sure you don't get lost or anything. Jamaica = "No problem, Mon" Also keep in mind its an island, and therefor is humid so be sure to bring bug repellent ;)

I would definitely stay here again. One Love <3

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank KingAbed
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Greetings Ahbed, how are you doing? I am just finding a moment to navigate my way around this site. I could not let it go without saying thanks so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We certainly enjoyed having you both stay with us and hope that someday you will find the time to come back and spend a little more time with us. we are all fine here, more or less the same struggles and joys. Cedar Ridge continues to see some very diverse, interesting and wonderful people, I give thanks for the opportunities presented and count my blessings as they flow.
Take care and all the best in your life

Reviewed 27 March 2014

After spending a summer working throughout the island on agricultural projects, I know that is very rare to find a nice, affordable place to say outside hotels and resorts. This place is a large old house converted nicely into a comfortable hostel. Cedar Ridge would be crazy popular if it were placed onto a more popular backpackers trail (Jamaica does not have many backpackers...). Anyways, it is quiet but welcome to those wanting to have a good time. Affordable, clean, friendly, laid-back. Also connected to the Rastafarian Village for those looking for other ways to see the island.

Room Tip: Dorm beds in the basement are the cheapest, but there are private rooms to be had. Rates negotiable...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel B
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thank you so much for choosing Cedar Ridge and taking the time to review us. Please let us know when you are coming back so that we can work to introduce you to other new experiences. We would have loved to have interacted with you a bit more on our agricultural project but perhaps next time. Please keep in touch with us so that we build bridges and network to strengthen our growth and development in a sustainable way.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Wonderful staff! Big rooms and a fan. Nice view. If you have any questions about were to go or what to see in Jamaica, its just to ask. It feelt a bit like i was home. Arleen, Lisa, Jason, First man and everybody i meet att the hostel..
Beautiful, good people!!
BLESS

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mikaela M
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Greetings Mikaela, thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Your comments will go a long way to assisting us in our marketing efforts to make Cedar Ridge the best home-hostel in the island.
We loved having you and Clara and hope that you will keep coming back to visit with us here in Jamaica. You have now become our extended family and for this blessing we give thanks. Look after yourself and take care of your health.
Strength and honor

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Coming to the Cedar Ridge is like coming to a different world - time slows down, little annoyances melt away, and every day is another adventure. I stayed here with a group of friends in late March several years ago (not Nov 2012, that's just the earliest option available to choose), before it was a hostel, but the property and the people are still the same. The house is gorgeous, with the main rooms and kitchen flowing into each other and blending beautifully with the outdoors. The view from the balcony is spectacular, you see the ocean and the hillside below, covered with tropical plants and trees. From what I recall it's about a ten or fifteen minute drive down the hill to the beach. The pace of your days seems to adopt the ebb and flow of the ocean and this is the perfect place to relax at the beginning and end of the day.

Since we were a large group (I think at least 10 of us went) some of us shared mattresses on the floor, but honestly it kind of added to the island feel to sleep wherever we could and to rise with the sun slanting through the blinds. The food was delicious, I'd never tried plantains before but in Jamaica they were served each morning in the kitchen, along with other authentic food, and it was all amazing. We spent our days going to the beach, climbing Dunn's Falls, seeing the old fort and exploring the history of Jamaica, going on hikes up Bunker's Hill and into caves, and jumping off a cliff at Rick's Cafe into the ocean. Arlene has amazing hook-ups in the area, and if there's something awesome that's available to do, she knows about it and can help to arrange it.

I highly recommend this place if you want to experience Jamaica as it really is, you will have a beautiful view to wake up to, a hostess who knows the place and the people like the back of her hand, and a relaxing place to rest your head at the end of the day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LaurenSpicer

Hi Lauren,
I am here - spending a little time with Naomi and she is showing me how to respond to the reviews that I have been getting for Cedar Ridge. Thank you so much for helping to start our ball rolling with regard to reviews. We have been doing very well at the hostel and I just want you to know that anytime that you think of visiting Jamaica again please let us know so that we can properly advise you of things to do and places to go for the time selected. You are always welcome to stay with us, but if you want to have different experiences, we can help with that also.
Give thanks, One Love

Reviewed 10 October 2013

From the moment of meeting our host and driving up the hill to this quaint bungalow with the most spectacular view...everything was amazing! Our stay was so inviting and warm.
Also gave a great introduction to such a beautiful part of the island. Watching the spectacular morning sunrise and the evening sunset out on the horizon of the ocean foliage of tropical fruit trees and plants was sitting on the elevated veranda with a panoramic view after a convenient drive down to the beach. All so extremely beautiful.
The well prepared food was delicious! It felt like we could have made Cedar Ridge Lodge - Inn our new home. So much more of our experience I would love to share but anyone who stays will be more than pleased creating their own memories there.
Loved it and I will stay there everytime we visit Montego bay Jamaica!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank CAILENEAERIAL

Greetings, Thank you so much for choosing Cedar Ridge for your Jamaica Experience. I am just reviewing my reviews...lol, and realized that I did not respond and your review was so lovely, I would like to do so now.
The hostel has been growing in patronage and we are very happy for all the wonderful people who have stayed with us, I am giving thanks for the pioneers who stayed with us at the very beginning and look forward to your returning one by one to see our changes.
When you do decide to return let us know by email: cedarridgeja@hotmail.com and we will be happy to ensure that you get all the information about things to do and places to go for the time selected. Until then, take care and One Love from all of us here.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Amazing staff- so sweet and so fun!! We had a great time- nothing but goodness! Room was big and fan kept it very cool. Everyone made us feel right at home. Great safe location. Jason and Lisa were so fun and taught us so much a it Jamaica- from the culture to learning Patois!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Rachrb13

Hey Richard, thanks for choosing Cedar Ridge and for taking the time to review us. We have been busy since the start of the season and I am only just now finding the time to look over reviews. On behalf of all of us here (I passed on your comments to Jason - who has been touring with Chronixx and Lisa) I thank you for your positive feedback and should you decide to come back to Jamaica please communicate with us by email so we can ensure that you are fully advised about things to do and places to go for the dates selected.
Give Thanks

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This place is beautiful. I stayed here when Arlene was first considering turning her home into a hostel (I only selected October 2012 since that's the earliest date I can choose). The style of house is unlike anything you'll find in most of the US. There is an open garden courtyard in the middle of the house that all the rooms are situated around. There's a lovely sunken living room, with comfy couches, that opens out onto a large covered balcony which is the perfect spot for meals. The rooms all have shutters that can open into the main part of house or be closed for privacy. All the bedrooms have windows that look out to the hillside below or into an exterior garden. And after a hot day at the beach, a cool shower while listening to the radio is perfect.

Arlene and Edi are top notch folks. They are such a blast to talk with and you will learn so much about the Jamaican culture. They are also very integrated into their community and have excellent resources at their fingertips for amazing day adventures. My friends and I swam in rivers, went on a night cruise and swim to see the bioluminescent plankton, climbed a waterfall, explored a cave, chilled at some awesome beaches, hiked through a jungle while learning about the history of Jamaica and the Sugar Cane Industry (while eating sugar cane), and even got to experience a Rastafarian celebration of I-tal Tuesday in the heart of the jungle.

The Jamaica Arlene and Edi introduced us to is easily missed if you stay anywhere else. This was a trip of a lifetime and will stick with me for a very long time. I'm so thankful I got to meet these two wonderful people and share their home with them.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PipperDipper

Hey Piper, I am here with Naomi and she is helping me to respond to reviews on TAdvisor. Although really late, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Cedar Ridge Hostel as you and your group would - technically have been our first hostel guests.
We are doing a lot better now - than we did when you first came, we have rooms and bunks and a whole programme of things to do and places to go - we have added customized tours which we put together based on the needs of travelers and we tune into local events and happenings so that we can properly advise and direct persons according to their interests.
Your review was, and continues to be informative and detailed and very useful for new guests. We hope that you will find some time to visit with us again someday soon - if you do please just send an email to: cedarridgeja@hotmail.com or speak with Naomi. Give thanks again and One Love