“Fantastic little place”

Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn
“Fantastic little place”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this place fairly last minute, from the get go on emails Arlene was brilliant and answered every question I had, when we arrived we were greeted with a warm welcome and made to feel at home.
Cedar ridge is like a home away from home, when you go onto the balcony your hit with such an amazing view! It's lovely sitting and chilling there, a couple of nights Arlene, Lisa and all guests got together for some games and laughs together.
Such an amazing time and amazing place! Will definitely go back and will recommend friends to stay there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2015
So we are not great at the technology side...to say the least, but here we are feeling overwhelmed by all the wonderful comments going way back when...so I cannot allow any more time to pass without saying thanks - for you taking the time to write about us in such a positive way.
We are well and hope you are too and that you will continue to search for the adventure in life - Keep safe as you journey

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wangen
Reviewed 29 July 2014

During my staying in Jamaica I stayed several times here and I allways felt like coming home. They pick you up from the Airport if you like and the location is great! Comfi beds too! Soon come;) amelie

• Stayed May 2014
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hello Amelie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and thanks for such a vote of confidence. We loved having you with us - and yes, you fitted right in as a part of the family.
Come back soon - keep in touch and let us know how you are doing...cedarridgeja@hotmail.com
Blessings
One love
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Arlene & Co's hostel earlier this year. Lovley location in the hills, great kitchen with utensils, and lovley hosts. Seems a bit far at first, but easy enough to get around with route-taxis. My sincerest recommendations! (Don't forget to visit the Rasta Village!) Bless, Rebecka, Sweden

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rebecka I
Hello Rebecka
Gosh, just seeing your review, it was certainly lovely to have you too, thanks for taking the time to write us up. I hope you can come back soon. Did you get a chance to see the Chronixx concert? I believe that he with Jason in tow will be there again soon, dont forget to ask for them at the gate and remind Jason of you and of your stay at Cedar Ridge.
Thanks once again for choosing us and hope to see you back soon.
One Love
Blessings for whatever direction your life is taking
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here for a week with my sister in May 2013 (both college students). Hands down one of the best experiences we've ever had. This place is fantastic. Arlene was very helpful in planning events (cave exploration, Rasta Village, waterfalls, tour of Bob Marley's home, etc.) and helping us get settled in.

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with indoor pools this is not the place for you. However, if you want a true experience of what Jamaica is like, staying with Arlene and her partner Firstman will surely give you a first hand experience of the beautiful Jamaican culture. Also, the balcony view is priceless, and the company is sure to be welcoming and entertaining, there is a house keeper too - and its extremely affordable.

I was worried that it wouldn't be close enough to the city, but it didn't turn out to be an issue. Public transportation id fairly easy to maneuver, just have some confidence in yourself - again Arlene helps tremendously making sure you don't get lost or anything. Jamaica = "No problem, Mon" Also keep in mind its an island, and therefor is humid so be sure to bring bug repellent ;)

I would definitely stay here again. One Love <3

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank KingAbed
Greetings Ahbed, how are you doing? I am just finding a moment to navigate my way around this site. I could not let it go without saying thanks so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We certainly enjoyed having you both stay with us and hope that someday you will find the time to come back and spend a little more time with us. we are all fine here, more or less the same struggles and joys. Cedar Ridge continues to see some very diverse, interesting and wonderful people, I give thanks for the opportunities presented and count my blessings as they flow.
Take care and all the best in your life
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2014

After spending a summer working throughout the island on agricultural projects, I know that is very rare to find a nice, affordable place to say outside hotels and resorts. This place is a large old house converted nicely into a comfortable hostel. Cedar Ridge would be crazy popular if it were placed onto a more popular backpackers trail (Jamaica does not have many backpackers...). Anyways, it is quiet but welcome to those wanting to have a good time. Affordable, clean, friendly, laid-back. Also connected to the Rastafarian Village for those looking for other ways to see the island.

Room Tip: Dorm beds in the basement are the cheapest, but there are private rooms to be had. Rates negotiable...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel B
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you so much for choosing Cedar Ridge and taking the time to review us. Please let us know when you are coming back so that we can work to introduce you to other new experiences. We would have loved to have interacted with you a bit more on our agricultural project but perhaps next time. Please keep in touch with us so that we build bridges and network to strengthen our growth and development in a sustainable way.
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Wonderful staff! Big rooms and a fan. Nice view. If you have any questions about were to go or what to see in Jamaica, its just to ask. It feelt a bit like i was home. Arleen, Lisa, Jason, First man and everybody i meet att the hostel..
Beautiful, good people!!
BLESS

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mikaela M
EmpressIleen, Owner at Cedar Ridge Lodge-Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Greetings Mikaela, thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Your comments will go a long way to assisting us in our marketing efforts to make Cedar Ridge the best home-hostel in the island.
We loved having you and Clara and hope that you will keep coming back to visit with us here in Jamaica. You have now become our extended family and for this blessing we give thanks. Look after yourself and take care of your health.
Strength and honor
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Coming to the Cedar Ridge is like coming to a different world - time slows down, little annoyances melt away, and every day is another adventure. I stayed here with a group of friends in late March several years ago (not Nov 2012, that's just the earliest option available to choose), before it was a hostel, but the property and the people are still the same. The house is gorgeous, with the main rooms and kitchen flowing into each other and blending beautifully with the outdoors. The view from the balcony is spectacular, you see the ocean and the hillside below, covered with tropical plants and trees. From what I recall it's about a ten or fifteen minute drive down the hill to the beach. The pace of your days seems to adopt the ebb and flow of the ocean and this is the perfect place to relax at the beginning and end of the day.

Since we were a large group (I think at least 10 of us went) some of us shared mattresses on the floor, but honestly it kind of added to the island feel to sleep wherever we could and to rise with the sun slanting through the blinds. The food was delicious, I'd never tried plantains before but in Jamaica they were served each morning in the kitchen, along with other authentic food, and it was all amazing. We spent our days going to the beach, climbing Dunn's Falls, seeing the old fort and exploring the history of Jamaica, going on hikes up Bunker's Hill and into caves, and jumping off a cliff at Rick's Cafe into the ocean. Arlene has amazing hook-ups in the area, and if there's something awesome that's available to do, she knows about it and can help to arrange it.

I highly recommend this place if you want to experience Jamaica as it really is, you will have a beautiful view to wake up to, a hostess who knows the place and the people like the back of her hand, and a relaxing place to rest your head at the end of the day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LaurenSpicer
Hi Lauren,
I am here - spending a little time with Naomi and she is showing me how to respond to the reviews that I have been getting for Cedar Ridge. Thank you so much for helping to start our ball rolling with regard to reviews. We have been doing very well at the hostel and I just want you to know that anytime that you think of visiting Jamaica again please let us know so that we can properly advise you of things to do and places to go for the time selected. You are always welcome to stay with us, but if you want to have different experiences, we can help with that also.
Give thanks, One Love