“Not bad, but certainly not good!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royalton White Sands Resort

Royalton White Sands Resort
Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Not bad, but certainly not good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Lots to write, both good and bad........we traveled to Jamaica April 10th-16th. We had mixed feelings as we were heading there based on other reviews, but went into it with an open mind and realistic expectations. We've stayed at many 5 star hotels/resorts, but to me 5 star is Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton quality, so we were by no means expecting anything close to that.
Check-In: Strange process that you sit down and fill out a form rather than check in at the desk, but we didn't wait long to get keys to our room, so not a big deal. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade to Diamond Club. We said no and if we changed our mind we would come back the next day. There really isn't any need to go with Diamond Club unless you want the private beach, we spent most of our time around the pool, which doesn't have a Diamond Club area. We booked an ocean view family Jacuzzi suite with the bunk beds, but when we got to our room, no bunk beds, just a large pull out couch in the living area and a king sized bed in the BR. I was upset that it wasn't what we booked, went down to the front desk where she understood, but told there were no rooms we reserved. She indicated this was a nicer room and was an upgrade to what I originally reserved. Truthfully, the room was quite nice and it worked fine for our 6YO and 4YO to share a pullout couch. Bathrooms and showers were great. Beautiful balcony and view overlooking the resort property. Room was clean, fridge stocked daily with a few beers and waters, so no complaints.
The resort grounds are beautiful! Great pools, great water slides, nice beach area, beautiful landscaping, safe and entertaining kids club. Service was great for the most part, food was pretty good, nothing great but good enough variety at the buffet and tasty enough. Restaurants were ok. Japanese hibachi was nice except for the pre-made sushi rolls. Steakhouse was pretty good, ok cuts of meat. Italian restaurant was probably the best, good options and good dessert. It was also a great option for pizza at lunch. Drink service around the pool was good; jerk chicken on the beach was awesome! Ice cream bar was real nice, coffee shop was nice also. Exercise room was adequate, not big, but nice enough and clean. Entertainment options in the evening were pretty good also. There were movies on large screens, shows on the stage, good music, great beach party, talent shows for the guests, among other activities. There are definitely areas for improvement, but we are pretty laid back, so we expected some bumps from a new resort, but nothing that was impacting our goal of having a great family vacation. Truthfully, if it wasn't for the 3 big issues below, I would probably rate this place a 3.5-4 stars with a the potential to be even better.
The 3 big issues:
1. Good news, bad news. Good news is there are an ample amount of security guards on site. Bad news is they are apparently there for a reason. I made a bad decision to leave the resort grounds and walk down the beach. This was a mistake, as the residents of the village 100 yards down the beach are a bit overzealous when it comes to trying to make a buck. I don't blame them for trying to earn a living, but I would think a “5 star” resort should caution their guests about leaving the premises of the resort, especially when reviews from a few months earlier talked about the great shops and an all you can eat lobster stand. I don’t advise anyone to wander from the resort.
2. On at least 4 different occasions during the week we had housekeeping enter our room unannounced (no knock) and once came all the way into our bedroom without announcing themselves. There is no reason for housekeeping to enter your room unannounced and on at least two of these occasions our “Do Not Disturb” sign was on the door. Not acceptable.
3. On our check out day our schedule was a bit different. We slept in so we could pack and we didn't leave our room and go to the pool as early as we did the previous 6 days. We left the room at 9:15 to go grab some breakfast and take a last swim before taking the noon bus back to the airport. All week long I made sure I either had my cash and credit card on me or it was locked in the safe, I even purposely left my watch at home as I was concerned about theft. We had no issues with our cameras, iPads, etc., but this morning for whatever reason I left $40 and my credit card on the dresser, put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and left the room for no more than 90 minutes. When we walked out of the room, the room attendant was there, we thanked her for taking care of the room and the four of us went down the stairs. We returned 90 minutes later and low and behold the credit card was missing. The $40 was still there, but the card was missing. After looking around for a few minutes to make sure I didn’t move it, I called Chase and confirmed that it was used for a $1200 purchase 30 minutes earlier. I cancelled the card, and called security to report the theft. It took an hour for security to arrive at the room, at which point we were literally walking out of the room to check out and catch the bus to the airport. Security said he would investigate and would alert management. When I informed the front desk, they were quite surprised this would happen at their resort and implied that I must have "misplaced" my card. He also asked that he speak with Chase to get information regarding the usage of the card. As annoyed as I was that I wasn’t believed, I called Chase back and while speaking with them the card was declined for another $2500 in purchases in Montego Bay. I gave the GM my business card and told him I expected an update or a report. Needless to say I never received one, which is why I'm writing this review 3+ weeks after returning. To the Royalton’s credit, they did waive the spa treatments I had charged to the room. I’m obviously not responsible for the fraudulent charges on the card, so it was nice of Royalton to take care of the spa charges, but it doesn’t change the fact that my room was entered and the card was stolen.
Sadly enough, if I never left the resort on my own and I didn't leave my credit card on the dresser on my last day, my review would be much better. Maybe it's my fault, but either way it did happen. I’m surprised this is the only review like this, so maybe it’s not commonplace, but I still thought it was important enough to leave a review. So, what would have been a nice review about a new resort that is really quite beautiful turns out to be a so-so review and a warning to prospective travelers to stay on the property and keep an eye on your credit card.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JakeD14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Stafford, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Hotel was clean, They just reopened this past October. Whereas there was a few flaws and things they are still working out, Unless you stay in your room 100% of the time, it should not bother you. When you arrive they will have someone assist in Checking in, If your in the Diamond Club, it will go little quicker. I came in with a party of 30. As with any check in it takes a few minutes.
My room on the 3rd floor was clean, I had no issues EXCEPT, the shower water would go from very hot to very cold. Strange, I got used to it. The maid service does a great job. I had a good ocean and resort View, just wish I was one floor Higher.
The Food was good, I tried all the venues, Italian, Japanese, steak house, Sports bar, Buffet and the Jerk Chicken hut.
The resort area was clean and plenty to do, pools, swim up bar, beach and water slides.
Nightly entertainment every night, some requires guest participation. I especially likes the Steel Drums.(AWESOME)
The beaches and Island, the wind was blowing pretty hard which brought some seaweed to the beach, but they try and keep it very clean.
The gift shop has good hours, little pricy, but your in Jamaica trying to buy something.
There are areas off the resort on both sides like a little market, looks sketchy, but I ventured out to both of them. You can bargain and get a deal. Very nice people. Just use common sense.
The service, the employees are great and do a very good job, Very Friendly. However if there was a down fall to this resort, I felt they may need a little more employees to take care of the guests, but again your in Jamaica!!!! They are working on this issue.
The Disco and sports Bar - Hung out there nightly, that was fun.
My Daughter got married there, Beautiful ! The wedding staff, did a fantastic job ! Fantastic.
Diamond Club - Very nice, there is a lounge and a beach with personal service especially for members. I was Diamond Club Member, quicker check in, They will plan excursions and assist you in any way. The diamond club private beach was very nice.
I would definitely go Back.

Room Tip: Make sure your on above the 3rd floor, Ocean View.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank snowplowman2000
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hello Snowplowman2000,

Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands.

We are happy that we could have made your daughter's wedding experience an outstanding one...one that you both will remember for a lifetime. We are happy to have been given the chance to host such a wonderful group of people at our resort.

We are thrilled that you have found our entertainment to be "AWESOME"...and our Diamond Club to be one of a kind.

Remember no matter how small the request maybe at Royalton White Sands it will always be our pleasure to fulfil!

Again thank you for making it Royalton White Sands. We cant wait to have you once more with us.

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have just returned from a fantastic time at Royalton White Sands. The highest standards of customer service, beautifully remodeled resort and food and drinks. The staff made it so pleasant, keep doing what you are doing, you got it right. I will return!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank brownekev
Dear Brownekev,

Thank you for your review. We are motivated to have you rank us as a great resort.

We are privileged to have had you with us. We are happy that you had a great time and are looking forward to hosting you again soon

Have a Royal Day.

Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had an amazing time with a few small glitches along the way that unfortunately added up, quickly. The Royalton is doing itself a disservice by billing as a 5 star super all inclusive. It really would be more suited as 3 ½ star inclusive and have the opportunity to exceed their guests expectations.

The beach: NOT FOR SNORKELING! Unfortunately, this is about 75% of what we love about the Caribbean and the true and only reason we will not be returning. This is not a snorkeling resort, unless you pay $25 per person, per boat ride out to the reef to see fish. (if this was a true 5 star, this should have been included). Beach was small but pretty. Water was murky, seaweed and really high waves, but was fun to jump.

Check in: The VERY bad!!! And I mean this almost ruined our vacation… the 90 minute sales presentation is time share and they HOUND you! We choose not to spend any of our vacation time in that presentation, but were asked by at least 10 different agents to join their presentation. The kicker is, most of their other resorts are in Cuba, we explained that as Americans, vacationing in Cuba is not allowed, still they hounded us! I reported this to the front desk. My advice to the Royalton, only allow 1 person on the resort at a time that sells your vacation club, allow your guests to fall in love with Royalton and have them ask you how to stay at more resorts. That would be 5 star.

The room: the good: we had one of the most amazing views ever! On the 7th floor. the room was a normal hotel room. We found is the perfect size for 2 and the décor was amazing! The bad: the phone didn’t work so it was annoying when we needed to confirm our checkout time, excursions and never got to make use of the included room service. I reported this at least once a day and not one ever came to fix it. The water stopped working but came back on with in 5 minutes, most likely just a bubble in the pipes. It happens

The restaurants: amazing food! Really, the best food we have had at any resort. Not having to make reservations was the best part.

Excursions: We booked through cheapcaribean.com. The lady at the desk to sell us excursions was the worst. Rude and really came off as if we were annoying her. We went to her saying “snorkeling!” and she sold us a package that had no snorkeling. Wouldn't negotiate and kept back tracking on what was actually included. Said there would be food and snack provided (all day tour) and we had no food included. Dunn’s river falls was awesome! And dolphin cove is really just for swimming with dolphins. Don’t be fooled by the brochure, it’s really only dolphins. Over all a fun day and totally worth it.

Overall: Good food, beautiful modern resort, water slides and kids pool were very fun! Small beach with white sand, plenty of lounge chairs. We won’t return because of the snorkeling and the vacation club pushers. If you’re not an ocean person, this resort is for you! We had an amazing time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Laurm
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from a seven night stay. We had a great time! There were a couple issues with the first room we were assigned but the front desk quickly moved us to another room and the rest of the vacation went great. The entertainment, except for the dancers and steel drum band which were fantastic, could be better but we were back in our room early every evening so it didn't really bother us that much.The food is good and the staff was fantastic everywhere on the resort. I have to give a special shout out to Brenda in the buffet restaurant and Denard in the Italian restaurant. Both were fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the centre court. Some of the "oceanview" rooms are actually ov...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leaclif
Dear Leaclif,

We are happy that you had a great time with us. We are grateful for all the commendations of our hospitable team members. Please note that we are always improving on our services therefore we do appreciate your recommendations.

It was great hosting you and we look forward to doing so again.

Have a Royal Day!

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We chose as our first "all inclusive" experience, to book a Sunwing Vacation at this resort. We were aware of it's recent rebranding and on going renovation work through other reviews, but were hopeful when we noticed a positive trend in reviews from others who had visited since the official openning. After enjoying a 7 day holiday at this beautiful facility, I would happily recommend it to anyone. There were some minor faults to be sure, but nothing that could even slightly dampen our enjoyment of this great place and wonderful people.
Even when we had a recurrent problem with our air conditioning unit due to power outages in the area, our 5th floor angel Kay Ann, kept on top of it and made sure everything was "cool" for us as soon as it could be fixed. Her bright smile and engaging personality were always in evidence as we passed her duty station.
The servers in every restaurant and bar were absolutely the best we had ever encountered. In our on-going comparisons of the way we were being cared for here, to our experiences on cruise ships, the Royalton kept winning by a mile. The staff at each of the venues, were bright, smiling, attentative and extremely efficient. We always managed to share a joke or a laugh with them, and no one was ever too busy to ensure we were having a good time. While I can't remember all their names ( I wish I could ) a couple really stand out. Denard, who served us at the Italian restaurant the first night, was the consumate host and gentleman. Jamal ( I think ) at the Martini Bar is a mixologist worth his weight in gold. His skill and attention to detail in turning out a perfect product was easy to see. Brenda, our server at the buffet venue on a couple of occasions was another example of the excellent staff making sure our stay was pleasent, worry free and memorable. There were so many others, including housekeeping and support staff who did so much to make sure our every request was either anticipated or immediately actioned.
The entertainment and choice of activities were enough to keep even a Type A personality like me happy to stay on the resort for the bulk of our trip with just one excursion to the outside later in the week. I'm sure Sunwing would rather we had taken more but at least this time, we chose to stay on site except for our trip to Mystic Mountain which would need a review of its own to do it justice. Suffice to say if you go and try the bobsled, take the boys up on the offer for the double push and stay off the brakes!
One of the suggestions I'd like to make concerns the gym. There is totally inadequate A/C in there. For the few of us who actually maintained our exercise routines, the place was too small, too hot and without enough equipment.
The only worries I have about coming back to the resort in the near future is that I heard they will be building a new facility expansion very close to the current one. I'm not sure I'd want to be vacationing near a construction zone, and I'd have to make sure of the status of that, if in fact it is to happen, before I booked there again. However, I'd gladly entertain the thought of returning to the Royalton and visiting manager Alexander and his team again someday. There is just too much relaxation to be had there, not to. Thanks everyone. Respect.

Room Tip: 5th floor, ocean view in Wing A, overlooking the courtyard was perfect for early morning coffee, and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank J F P
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear J F P,

Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands. We appreciate you taking the time out to post this review. Please know that your review means a lot to us as it helps us to evaluate our services.

Thank you for also recommending us as a destination of choice for persons looking to enjoy their vacation in Jamaica.

We apologise for any inconsistency that you experienced during your vacation here.

We will definitely share your commendations with our team members. I am sure that this will be motivating to them.

Again thank you!

Have a Royal Day!

Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned home from a five night stay at this simply lovely resort. We travel to the Caribbean yearly and have never stayed at the same place twice. I think that changed with this trip! We will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Only a small issue when we checked in but it had more to do with the booking site than with the hotel. We had the Ocean View Honeymoon Jacuzzi Suite which was an automatic upgrade to the Diamond Club.

The resort was not at capacity which was great as well.

The room had a beautiful view and was always very clean. The shower was amazing, the sliding screens separating the bathroom from the bed area could be moved so that if you took a shower at sunset you could see it. Awesome!

The beach area in the Diamond Club had plenty of beds, loungers and shade.

The three pools were nice and allowed for separation from kids, if you're not traveling with any of your own.

The drinks were plentiful and good. They don't scimp on the rum ;)

The food was very good at all three restaurants. The steak house (Hunter's) was our favorite. The mashed vegetables and creme brûlée were out of this world. The steaks were cooked to perfection.

The service in ALL areas was very good, absolutely no complaints with that!

The very BEST thing about this resort was the amazing staff. EVERYONE was extremely friendly and genuinely interested in how you were enjoying your stay at the resort and in their country. It wasn't forced or fake, the smiles were warm!

I feel that with a lot of complaints and bad reviews people look for something to be unhappy about or they are comparing one place to another. You really can't do that because what fun would that be if every place was the same?!? No adventure in that at all!

Our vacation was perfect for us and we accomplished our goal of complete, pure relaxation!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!