“Nice 4-day get away!”

Royalton White Sands Resort
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Nice 4-day get away!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The size of this resort was perfect for our 4 day vacation. I really felt like I had gotten away! The beach area is very nice, plenty of chairs! The water was warm and beautiful shade of blue/green.

The adult-only pool with swim-up bar was the perfect "home base" for the day! The bartenders were great and lots of fun! We LOVE REMON!! The have a temporary beach grill that sets up near this pool every day for lunch with delicious jerk chicken, pork and other local favorites. Delicious!! Other lunch ideas: take out from Italian and sports bar. The Sports Bar wings are to die for!

For a la carte restaurants, reservations are needed or you will have to wait. But, the resort is small so you can put your name down, then go to martini bar and wait. Loved the Steak House!! Ask for Dean Martin! Italian service was S L O W but most enjoyed their food. Hibachi was very good also!

Please ready my Room Tip: You DO NOT want section B (bad) or D (dreaded)!!

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely consider returning! Very friendly staff and easy to navigate! (also a nice size for limited mobility folks) And they had a wonderful children's pool with slides, etc...

Room Tip: This is VERY important!! You want to be in section A or C! B and D have TERRIBLE views! Ideally, y...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brenda W
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Hello Brenda W,

It is very pleasing to note that our team was able to exceed your expectations on your recent visit to our resort. I am especially happy that you had the true Royalton Unlimited-Luxury experience that we aim for daily and have only great comments about our food, accommodate, activities and our staff.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back Home.

Have a royal day!

Best Regards,

Debbie Bailey
Community Relation's Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,431)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just returned from our trip and had to share our experience. My friend and I wanted a relaxing beachy vacation and that is exactly what we got. The resort was modern and clean. It was half hour away from the airport. It is actually in the town of Falmouth. We were greeted with smiles and a cool drink as we checked in. The room was tastefully decorated but was smaller than most resort rooms. One thing I found odd was the room had 1 full size bed and a twin size. We made it work but it would've nice to have at least 2 full size beds. We stayed on the 6th floor and had an amazing view of the resort.
Let's move on to the food and drinks. Their buffet is pretty standard. they had a good variety of food. My favorite was breakfast and when they had Caribbean night. The omlettes were made to perfection and if you like oxtail, do not miss them. A quick shout out to Nicolette who was our server. She went out of her way and was very friendly. The Zen Japanese restaurant is the only one you had to make reservation. The food was okay but it's more for the entertainment than anything else. The chefs really put on a good show. We were not impressed with the Italian restaurant and could never get into the steakhouse. For an all inclusive resort, the quality of liquor was top shelf. They have a martini bar with about 19 different types of Martiinis. Perfect place to unwind before or after dinner. The one meal never to be missed is the jerk chicken they serve on the beach from 12:30 to about 2:30pm. Hands down it was the best meal of the day. The chicken is perfectly seasoned and falls off the bone with different sides daily.
The beach gets pretty crowded so you should go early and reserve your beach chair then go to breakfast. The water is clear and warmer in the afternoon but refreshing when the hot sun is out. There were seaweed but after you walk passed that, the water was wonderful. There were always staff walking around. Making sure your needs were accommodated. Please make sure to bring a lot of singles for tipping. Everyone works really hard and the tips are appreciated. Don't be fooled with the clouds and breeze on the beach, you will get sunburned.
The nightly entertainment was truly the best I've seen in any resort. It was lively. One night they had a steel band. Do get their cd at the end of the show. It is worth it.
Keep in mind, there are many people walking around trying to get you to attend a presentation for timeshare. They are friendly and not overly aggressive. Another shout out to Curtis. He tried to get us to his presentation but the sun was calling our name.
Overall we had a great time and will stay at another royalton resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Acugirl476
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed a week for a family wedding and found the cost to be very high... However the rooms were clean, fresh and well maintained and the food was wonderful. Lots of choice with unique restaurants on site also, such as the Zen, steak house and an Italian. Staff were so polite and nothing appeared to be done to earn a tip!
Lots of beautiful cocktails to choice from, disappointing small beach, but lovely either way and a wonderful Spa.
The only let down was the ongoing power-cuts and the Zen restaurant that failed to accommodate a small group of vegetarians by mixing the meat and veg and assuming picking out the meat was acceptable!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Winnie691
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Winnie691:

Thank you for this lovely review! We are happy to know that you have had a wonderful time with us. We are happy to have accommodated you for your family's wedding and we are sure we will be seeing you as well as the other members of the party soon!

Thank you for your commendations on our staff and the services at our restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Krisia Hardie
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Location...location.. location. Close Montego Bay and not too far from Ocho Rios.
Stayed here for 5 nights back in Feb 2014 and we had great great great time !! Helpful staff, good food, rooms were always clean, and sports bar was great !! Two family travelled together with kids and kids had great time in splash park, also kids club is amazing(very unique). I will go back for sure.

Room Tip: Book 1bedroom suite if you are travelling with kids.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Toronto D
Dear Toronto D:

Thank you for your review. We are grateful to hear that you have enjoyed your vacation to the fullest. Such comments inspire us as we work diligently to create the best resort in Jamaica.

We are happy that we have met your expectations and look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Regards,

Krisia Hardie
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We returned from Royalton White Sands after saying there for 2 weeks between May 4th and 18th. The hotel is spotlessly clean throughout and first impressions are great as you enter the large lobby area. The check in process could do with a little bit of ironing out however it wasn't half as bad as I expected after reading reviews on here first, we waited about 30 minutes to check in as there was a group of 14 ahead of us, however, it was nice after a 10 hour flight to enjoy a sit down with a gin and tonic!!

Rooms are small but adequate, they are modern and clean. I would definitely recommend getting an ocean view room as the alternative isn't great (unless you like looking over generators and abandoned tennis courts). One issue we had was with the bathroom, the shower could be very temperamental and there didn't seem to be a happy medium between scolding hot and freezing cold. It was also prone to leaking.

The housekeeping service seemed to be a little inconsistent. Some afternoons we were returning from the beach around 5pm and the room hadn't even been cleaned even though we had been woken by the maid at 9am sharp. Also we had issues around the amount of towels provided, some nights we had bath mats, others we didn't. One night we only received one bath towel but 5 flannels for some reason. It was quickly sorted with a phone call to reception but we travelled with family who had the same issues in there rooms as well. Both me and my friend both lost items of clothing too which housekeeping couldn't find.

The food is the hotel is without fault. The main buffet restaurant provides themed nights but there is always something to suit all. For example I don't east fish but one the 2 seafood nights each week there was still plenty to choose from, the pasta station is particularly tasty. The a la carte restaurants are also great. The steak restaurant was definitely my favourite and I'd recommend the rib eye every time. We ate at the tepinyake restaurant twice, the first time we had Damien as our "blackense" (as he put it) chef, he was great. We also had Romeo one night but he seemed to struggle competing with the rather loud female chef on the next station, the food is gorgeous though! The Italian wasn't the best and could do with air conditioning as it is a very large hot building which was quite uncomfortable, pizzas were great however the pasta wasn't as nice.

The bar services around the hotel were fantastic, I have never been to a hotel which offers such a wide range of spirits - and where you get grey goose even in your cocktails! My favourite bar was the martini bar - we drank in there most nights and I need to mention both Amoy and Latonia who were warm, friendly and gave great service! If you go try the Bob Marley and Miami Vice frozen cocktails as their delicious!

There are 3 large pools at the hotel however my main criticism is that there is not enough shade, as someone who burns very easily in the sun you would expect there to be more than 5 umbrellas around the pools. Marquees are available (if your up at the crack of dawn it reserve them). On our second week we started sitting in the beach as there is a little bit more shade (yet still not enough). However, we did notice that the staff in the yellow shirts seemed to be reserving beds for tips. Some mornings we were going down and there were towels on all the beds but if you offered them a dollar to find a bed the towels seemed to disappear. We also heard other guests giving the lads money to save them beds the next say.

Tipping is customary in the hotel, there are a lot of Canadians and Americans at the hotel who seem to have a different tipping culture. With some members of staff it is obvious they are just after a tip.

I almost forgot to mentions the sports bar - the best wings I've ever had!

We didn't take part or watch much of the entertainment however there was a lot of things going on, there were films shown around 7pm and the entertainment/bands in the martini bar were great.

The beach is lovely to walk down, there are a few shops a little further down the beach owned by some locals. They do stand on the beach and try to get you to visit but a polite no is enough they aren't as badgering as some countries I have visited, and once you get in the shops there is some lovely handmade and gifts that are reasonably priced and can be haggled with.

Overall the hotel is lovely and I certainly would go back and Jamaica itself is a lovely holiday destination.

Room Tip: Definitely go for ocean view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank bex090690
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have just got back from this hotel after a 2 week stay for my honeymoon and I loved it. All of the staff are great and can't do enough for you. The rooms are lovely and clean though a little smaller than expected with lovely big rainfall showers and great room service.

The food is all very nice with plenty to choose from so you don't get tired of anything. The main buffet restaurant is different everyday for lunch and dinner. At breakfast you can have almost anything you can think of. We ate at all 3 a la carte restaurants (Italian, Japanese & Steakhouse) all were really good. The Italian pizza's are amazing and served at lunchtime as well and there is a great jerk BBQ on the beach at lunch as well!

The entertainment was also really good. The staff kept you entertained all day and there were different shows every night. An indoor area for the evenings would be great though as when it rained on a couple of occasions they had to cancel the evening show. There is also the sports bar which is great. It's has football, cricket, baseball, basketball etc on all day and serves great bar food. The wings and jerk chicken cheesy chips are great!

There are some great trips you can take either by booking through the hotel but if you fancy venturing down the beach there are some locals that will offer to take you to different places and will save you a bit of cash. Probably not recommended by the hotel but we went out to the luminous lagoon with a local and had a great time!

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hello Mark J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your most recent visit. I am happy that you enjoyed everything about our resort including the food and our friendly staff. It was a pleasure to have been your hosts and we look forward to other opportunities in future.

Once again thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands.

Have a royal day!

Best Regards,

Debbie Bailey
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this resort from the 7th May - 21st May 2014.
We were slightly nervous as previous reviews were going from one extreme to the other although in recent reviews did seem to suggest that new management were improving the resort.
On arrival we, along with other new guests were met by Ms. Dahlia "Oprah" Walker who was the Quality Assurance Manager.
She explained the workings of the hotel and assured us that should any issue arise we should contact her and promptly passed out her business card to all the guests.
The reception area on arrival was beautifully arranged and spotlessly clean, which made us feel that we had arrived at a "special place".
Our room was located on the 3rd floor and was a very modern space with a fabulous rainforest shower.
The vista from our balcony offered great views of the ocean and the garden as well as the restaurant and pool areas.
Dining was excellent whether we chose the Buffet, Steak house, Sushi Bar/Teppanyaki or the Italian restaurants.
Beach and all pool areas were well maintained by the most friendly staff who made everyone feel special.
There were daily activities provided by the enthusiastic entertainment crew who were very successful at getting guests to join in the fun.
A very busy towel hut was located in the centre of the garden/pool area.
In addition there was a great coffee/ice cream shop, sports bar beauty spa, gym and several shops offering a variety of wares.
Evening entertainment was provided every evening and included live singers/groups etc. in the Martini Bar or entertainment Plaza.
The beach area was well maintained and cleaned every morning with more than enough beds for everyone - despite what previous reviews may have mentioned.
There is a presence of seaweed under the water but this a natural condition caused by the constant wave motion which was amazing.
I must mention my room housekeeper whose name was Ocelia who worked tireless everyday to ensure our room was kept in tip top condition.
Another mention to Dean Martin my regular waiter in the Hunter steak house - great guy, great service - a credit to the hotel.
I could write endless things to say about this marvellous resort but it is best if I leave some things to be enjoyably to be discovered by future guests.
In closing this review I would like to praise to new manager - Alexander Arias for his attention to detail and tireless efforts to improve this great hotel which can only continue get even better and flourish under his
presence.
And finally - Ms walker - keep up the great standards - and take a day off you truly deserve it and we will look forward to seeing you on our return next year.
Thank you all !!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the pool/ocean/garden area.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!