“Only thing missing...hammocks and basketball”

Royalton White Sands Resort
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Atlanta, Georgia
“Only thing missing...hammocks and basketball”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We just got home from our week long visit with family. There were a total of 8 of us. This was my family's third trip to Jamaica, but everyone else's first....what a way to experience Jamaica for the first time!! I was very worried because of some of the reviews leading up to our trip, but as they say in Jamaica....no worries mon!!! It was amazing. The site we booked through did not get our rooms right so we had one night in a room without an ocean view....the staff assured us we would be moved the next day as soon as one was open and cleaned and we were! We were asked multiple times a day if we were having a wonderful trip and if there was anything we needed. The kids loved the slides and the activities and all the lifeguards and staff were attentive and engaged the kids to play. They did say it would have been nice if they had a basketball court. I think making one of the tennis courts into a basketball court would be perfect. There was always someone around to bring drinks, help with umbrellas and catching hats that blew off in the breeze. The kids did miss being able to use the swim up bar as the adult only pool rule was enforced except for infants. After the first day they got over it and it was nice to visit with my husband while the kids were on the slides. You were allowed to save your seats in the morning, but finding chairs was not an issue at all. The cabanas on the beach were a bit harder, but worth getting up before 8am to have for one day....best beach nap ever!!!
The food was excellent. The Japanese was the only one that required reservations and was so much fun! The sushi bar is walk in and great for an appetizer and drink too. They say closed toe shoes for men, but are not strict with the dress codes. As long as you are not in your bathing suits and bare feet they would allow you to eat at any of the restaurants. The steakhouse cooked my filet perfectly and had amazing creme brûlée. There was a bit of a wait for 8 but we let the kids hit the buffet for something to hold them over and we had cocktails on the couches outside. They gave us a pager to alert us when our table was ready. The Italian was our favorite and won two nights!! The pizza for lunch was also a huge hit...but get there early as it tends to back up. Keep in mind they are made to order and in a real brick oven!! The beach party on Monday night was so much fun and delicious. Everyone worked so hard to be sure we had as much as we could eat and drink all week. The sports bar was great for lunch and with the World Cup going on while we were there it was fun to just hang out. The coffee/ice cream bar was a nice little treat in the morning and afternoon. Jerk chicken hut on the beach was my husbands favorite and adds an awesome local touch. The only suggestion I would offer is they should add staff for dinners where they have a reception planned. We were turned away at Italian one night because there was a wedding party and the kitchen was going to be too busy. They did let us put our name down and come back an hour later, but other than the wedding there were only two other parties so the restaurant was almost empty and it seemed odd they could not attend to more diners. All in all though we were thrilled with the food choices.
The teen room was a fun get away for the kids in the heat of the day or after dinner. Movie nights and shows were fun when we were not too worn out to stay for them.
There were photographers all over and you could book sessions if you wanted. They take great pictures, but the pricing was a bit high and they save them to a disc at a resolution that is ok for smaller sizes but if you wanted to blow them up to 8x10 or larger would not be great.
Every floor has a designated concierge to keep you apprised of the daily schedule and answer any question or solve any issue.
We would absolutely go back and recommend it highly for families!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MillerFamily03
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear MillerFamily03,

Thank you for your pleasant insight review of our resort. We are happy that you enjoyed your vacation. We also would like to thank you for commendations on our staff and service.
We thank you for your reviews on our entertainment, restaurants, kids club and food. We are happy that you get to experience them all.

Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands and we do hope to see you again.

Community Relation's Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The overall stay was excellent with great amenities, stress free environment and excellent customer service. Everyone was extremely attentive and caring. Special mention goes to Ainsley, the beach attendant, who was extremely pleasant, professional and helpful. He went beyond the call of duty to help my wheel chair bound mother. Also special mention must be made of Andrea, the room attendant on the seventh floor. She was professional, always smiling and extremely helpful. The entertainment was great, food was abundant and even though the hotel was at full capacity it did not feel crowded. We would highly recommend this hotel for everyone.

Room Tip: amenties great for everyone from baby to teeenager and older adults
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dera A S:

It is great that we were able to offer you a memorable vacation experience.We are happy that you think our staff is extremely pleasant, professional and helpful and that overall you had a great vacation. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our food and thought our entertainment was great.

It was indeed a pleasure hosting you and we look forward to doing so again.

Krisia Hardie
Elmont, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Cute hotel, workers without exception friendly, helpful and always smiling, very good restaurants clean rooms,half an hour from the airport thas good. The beach small but is ok , I have no complaint.

We would go back again. the only thing wrong is the asecensor no have air conditioning available in that time.

We totally recommend....

Thank you Royalton for exepcional Vacations.

Rosa & Xavier Navarrete

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rose2969
Dear Rose2969:

Thank you for your review. We are happy to have provided you with a great experience.
All your commendations are noted and will be shared with our team members.

It was indeed a great pleasure to host you and we know that we will be hosting you and your family very soon again

Krisia Hardie
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Before going on our trip, we read a few bad reviews about this place. When we got there, it was the complete opposite. The staff at the Royalton White Sands Resort had the best customer service we have ever encountered! The hotel was the perfect size, not too big not too small. You can walk the entire resort without getting too tired. But there was more than enough to do. The room was nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a shower withh a rain forest showerhead. Excellent! The food was great. The resort has an Italian restaurant, a steak restaurant, a Japanese restaurant, buffet and room service. We got there on a Monday and that night they had a beach party with all types of food. It was so nice. Also, my husband woke up at 3 o'clock in the morning and went to the buffet. Although he was the only person there, the chef came out and made him whatever he wanted. We went on a few excursions too. They had free snorkeling, but we decided to go down to the reef (which is typically $70). Our guide Richard was amazing. The nicest guy you'll ever meet. If you want to go snorkeling while you're down there, that's the guy to go with. I was a bit afraid because it was my very first time. Richard held my hand as I got off the boat and the whole time we snorkel until I got comfortable. Then he returned me too my lovely husband. You have to go see Dunn's River Falls! It was a little crowded because all the cruise lines came at the same time. They said that usually doesn't happen. However once we got into the waterfall we forgot all about the line. It was such an amazing experience. When we come back to Jamaica we will definitely visit Dunn's again. Overall we highly recommend this resort. We have no complaints.Everything was perfect!

Ps. Bring a lot of one dollar bills for tipping. My husband is cheap but he loved tipping over there because of the great customer service!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank AlexLaAja
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear AlexLaAja

We thank you for your kind words of commendations, and we are indeed happy to know that our resort has met your expectations and beyond. Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands as your destination hotel and for your great insights review of our resort. It is was our pleasure to host you.

We do hope to see you again.

Best Regards,

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I don't know where to start I have so much to say!

Myself, partner and 5 year old son came here on 19th May for my partners birthday, I emailed ahead and contacted the lovely Krisia to ask if we could do something special for my other half. she was amazing and decorated our room with banners and balloons and organised a birthday cake and a bottle of Champaign, she also arrange a room upgrade with an ocean room, what a start and what great customer service.

I also have to say a massive thank you to a perfect maid Michelle, we stayed in room 407 and she was the best, we got sun burnt on one cloudy day and she went and got us some aloa vera. well over and above out expectations, my little boy loved her, we all did and looked forward to seeing her everyday we miss you sweet pea xx

Now the hotel is lovely, the pools are lovely, the kids pool is brilliant with a pirate theme slides and climbing bits, our 5 year old loved it and we had to go every day, there are plenty of sun loungers and shade. The kids club is truly amazing and modern with play stations and wii, gaming chairs, tv room with bean bags and out slide park area with climbing frame and slides, my sun went every day and loved the staff, special shout out to Mario you were amazing with Ethan.

The beach was lovely, beautiful water and has a lovely private island that you could walk through the sea too. You did have to get up very early to reserve a large bed with shade but there were always plenty of normal sun loungers with shade.

Now the food, the jerk chicken was great my partner loved this and its right on the beach, the buffet was good I loved the breakfast and had an omelette cooked for me every morning yummy, We loved the steak house, steaks were gorgeous and the crème brulee was lush. Italian was good and loved the lamb chops, the zen restaurant was good with them cooking the food in front of you, sports bar was a nice change for lunch where you could get chicken wings and burgers etc, you could also get amazing stone baked pizzas at the Italian and these are the best pizzas I have ever had, room service is free 24 hours and we used these a couple of times, basic but good.

There are lots of bars around and there is a Martini bar which is great, we enjoyed working our way through the menu, loved the chocolate martini, and lots of cocktails I would recommend the dirty banana and the bob marley.

The staff at this hotel are all amazing and friendly, the life guards are lovely a shout out to shelden who would chat to use most day but all the guys were lovely and would always high five my son. Daliah you were also lovely always making sure we were having a great time

We were so sad to leave I had a little cry and my son was still crying his eyes out on the plane on the way home, Jamaica is a beautiful country and without a doubt we will be back,

Some things we think would make this even better would be:

You have more a la carte restaurants the food was great but more choice would have been perfect, we didn't really like being disturbed at around 8.30/9pm to see if we needed any more towels the idea is nice but when you are asleep its a bit annoying., the maid would knock then just let themselves straight in!.

If you have any more questions or want to ask me anything please do, ive missed out loads im sure,

Room Tip: ask for a room on 4th floor or higher to get a sea view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Holly K
Dear Holly K,

It is our pleasure to have had you with us. Your review have shown not only Royalton White Sands but the clients we serve that we have been listening and ensuring that each step forward into enhancing this resort has at its core the views and needs of our guest.

We strive to be the best resort in Jamaica. The five start hotel that everyone wants to be at. Your review have shown us that we are reaching this goals.

I will definitely continue to encourage our staff and will review our feedback with them.

Best Regards

Berkley
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel because I am planning a "big event" and wanted to experience it. Kaylah is amazing. She came right up to us and said "I am here to make your vacation the BEST ever!" Well, she totally delivered. She was our source for directions, shopping, everything!. I absolutely recommend looking for Kaylah, she will over-deliver on customer service.

The cold towel to welcome you along with a nice cold rum punch was a great way to welcome us after a long flight. The room was a little small, but it was spotless clean and modern.

The food was pretty good too. Ask for Suki at the Zen Restaurant. She gave us a show that you won't forget. She was our Hibatchi chef and she made us laugh, the food was great and we even got to help on the grill.

Reny was a friendly, and our driver while we stayed at the Resort. He is funny, intelligent and knows everything about the Island.

I tried the spa and thoroughly enjoyed my reflexology done by Claudia. Ask for a gift certificate to the spa if you attend the Timeshare presentation. Hint...it is not a free 5 day vacation because you must pay the "resort fee" so it's just a discount for your next visit. Don't get the gift basket unless you drink the rum because you can't bring it home, and it costs $50 to mail it home. Totally not worth it.

The water aerobics instructor was probably my most favorite daytime activity. He has a big, wide, bright smile and heavy Jamaican accent. So I did the water aerobics and the poolside bar was just a step or two away! Loved it.

Ok...so here's the not so great part...1. The wedding gazebo near the rocks on the beach is not that attractive. It could use a major face lift because it is plain and blah. 2. The sports bar food took FOREVER to bring out and there weren't more than 10 people in there dancing. We kept wondering why is this taking so long? Maybe they also do room service, we just weren't sure why it was such a long wait.

I wasn't a big fan of smoking being allowed in the lobby either. To their credit, it is a completely open reception area and the breeze feels magnificent. It would have been perfect if I didn't smell second hand smoke.

Overall, I am looking forward to going back in February!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jaye S
Dear Jaye S

Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands as your vacation destination, it was a pleasure hosting you at our resort.
Thank you for the commendations of the great team members.
Please be assured that your second visits will be even better.

Community Relation's manager
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had an amazing time in Jamaica with my Mom and her boyfirend despite being sick with a cold the whole trip. The resort was small but absolutely beautiful, extremely clean and very well maintained. They explained that they do monthly spray downs of the rooms to prevent bugs ( the resort was almost bug free!) and during our stay they had maintenance repairing tiles by the martini bar which had the tiniest chips on them! The beach is very clean as staff clean up the seaweed each morning.

The rooms were small and shouldn't be considered suits but this wasn't too big of a problem as I wasn't in my room very often. Apart from this, they were clean and modern. I would suggest for them to add some hooks on the back of the washroom door or on the walls.

The highlight of the trip for us was the amazing food and staff. I've been to resorts in Mexico, Cuba, and the Dominican and none are even close to being on par with Royalton. We tried all the restaurants but our favorite has to be the buffet. Everything that was offered was so fresh and delicious. We had to give props to the chef!
Lastly, the staff and their service is on a whole other level! During breakfast, my mom and I would always order a soy cappuccino wit h no sugar and extra cinnamon. By the 3rd day somehow multiple staff knew our order! I was also known as the hot water miss as I would always ask for hot water for my oatmeal. The staff always has a smile on their face and never gave us a hard time.

In all this was by favorite resort that I've been to and I would recommend Royalton White Sands to anyone visiting Jamaica!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jessicababii
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear jessicababi,

Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands as your destination hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your vacation to the fullest. We do appreciate you taking the time out to send us your feedback on our resort.
Your feedback is very important to us and we are thrilled that you felt at home away from home.

Thank you for your commendations on our staff and service, and we hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!