“Nice Time”

Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Burlington, Canada
“Nice Time”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Royalton from June 28th to July 5th (standard suite)

This was a first time visit to Jamaica for both of us.

This review will be fairly detailed so get comfortable. Here we go.

The bus ride to the resort was around 35 to 40 minutes. We arrived at the hotel Saturday evening at approximately 9pm. We were greeted with friendly, smiling staff who offered us cold towels and rum punch, Yum!

Check in was smooth and quick.

ROOM: We were assigned room # 544, on the 5th floor, in “D” Wing. It is true what everyone says, the rooms and bathrooms are small but it was just perfect for the two of us. When we entered, the room was clean with the lights and TV on. Very comfortable beds! It's also true, the shower doors do not seal properly when closed but we didn't experience any water leaking because we don't shower like Tasmanian Devils. There was one morning we woke up to no water. When I contacted the front desk we were advised that a pipe had burst and they we working to fix the problem. The water was out for about 2 hours.

VIEW FROM OUR BALCONY: This was a huge bummer! I stepped out on to the balcony to check out the view and let me tell you it was not good. There was nothing appealing about it. We overlooked some sort of storage place, where empty skids and kegs were kept and where broken umbrellas and loungers went to die. It KILLED the experience. Personally, for that view we should have paid less. Please see the pictures I posted titled – “Our not so appealing view” The next day I consulted with our Sunwing rep who advised us to go speak to the front desk but told me that the hotel was at full capacity and chances were the front desk’s hands would be tied. Also, we had met a couple who had asked for a room change and were given the run around. I didn’t bother to ask for a room change as I figured I’d get over it and I had already unpacked. But EVERY TIME I opened the curtains, it killed a little of my experience.

The grounds are beautiful, modern and well maintained. There was always staff cleaning, wiping, shining, dusting, sweeping, everything.

All the pools are beautiful. We used the “adult pool” only. But the family pools looked nice too. I also tried the big slides in the kids water park section, they were fast and fun.

THE BEACH: Very small, but very beautiful nonetheless. The warm turquoise water, soft sand and shallow water made for a comfortable and lovely beach experience. We were on the beach every day. There was some seaweed at times, but it never bothered us. There are many palapas and about 4 or 5 cabana beds, however, they all fill up fairly quickly and by 9AM they are all full. There are spots by the pools that are usually available all day long.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment staff did a great job. They work their butts off all day long, morning to night. While we didn’t really participate in any of the activities, it was clear to see they got guests involved and showed them a good time. Well Done! On July 1st Canada Day, they had a marching band march around the pools with a Canadian Flag, and they played the Canadian National Anthem. It was cool. (They also did the same thing on July 4th, for the Americans)

FOOD: This is a biggie!

I’ll start with the A La Carts. In 1st place we both picked the Italian Restaurant. Delicious lamb chops, pizza and pasta. (my mouth is watering right now at the thought of it) In 2nd place we have the steak house. Beautiful pieces of meat grilled to perfection. And in 3rd place, the Asian Restaurant great entertainment with tasty food. *Note The Italian and Steakhouse need no reservation and you can eat there as much as you like. Only the Asian restaurant needs a reservation*

THE BUFFET. This was disappointing. My boyfriend and I are huge seafood lovers. We had been to other resorts in the past that had offered an abundance of seafood selections and I guess we went to the Royalton with the same expectation (considering it’s the Caribbean) but there really wasn’t much. We ate at the buffet every day for breakfast but that was it. We walked into the buffet for dinner one night, but didn’t find a great variety. I found the buffet left much to be desired.

JERK HUT: YUMMY YUM YUM! Had it every day at lunch!

SPORTS BAR: for you Poutine lovin’ Canadians out there, JERK POUTINE! Very tasty! We had that at least 4 out of the 7 days we stayed there.

All the drinks were delicious. The coffee was also very good for you cappuccino/espresso lovers. I always added a little rum crème to mine

Overall we had a nice stay. The buffet and the balcony view were the main shortcomings of our experience. The resort is nice and small, just the way we like it! We would return to this resort and would recommend this resort.

I also wanted to recognize the many delightful staff members that helped make our stay that much more pleasant;

Patrick: Our Sunwing Rep. HILARIOUS! Well spoken, knowledgeable and friendly.

Kwasi: Lifeguard on the beach. Helped first aid my bloody toe when I stubbed it. (I blame the rum punch) He saw me the next day and took a look at my toe to ensure it was ok.

Damion/Kenroy/Gary @ the Steakhouse: all very professional and friendly. Asking if we were enjoying our meals but did not intrude on our space and allowed us to eat in peace.

Owen – Worker at the beach. Always friendly came to chat with us every morning.

Ainsley – Worker at the beach. STAND UP GUY! Very genuine and friendly! He’s the type of guy you want to be friends with. He works SO HARD every day, all day, ensuring the beach is well maintained. We really enjoyed his company. THANKS!!

Shannon @ Zen. HILARIOUS! Excellent chef and a great entertainer!

Denise: Drink staff on the beach. Quick, courteous and attentive. Always on the go, working very hard.

Paul @ the Italian restaurant. Very friendly and professional. We were pleased with his service.

Judith: Omelette lady at the buffet in the morning. Very friendly and quick. She makes a tasty omelette!

Carl @ the Lobby Bar. Very impressed with his service and the pride he takes in his work. To be honest all the lobby bar staff were great, but Carl really stood out.

Diane @ Room Service. I didn’t actually meet her, but I spoke to her when I ordered some food to our room and she had SO MUCH enthusiasm! She instantly makes you feel like she’s your friend and her main goal is to ensure the guests are well taken care of. She even called to follow up on the room service to ensure quality. SHE ROCKED!

JODY-ANN: Our House keeper. Very personable, quick and friendly. She always did a great job.

Akeem: At sports bar. So cute and friendly. I believe he was a newer employee but he did a great job.

If anyone has any question or requires any additional information, please do not hesitate to message me.

Thank You Royalton!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank j j
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear j j,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on trip advisor. We really do appreciate this and thank you for having chosen Royalton White Sands. We do look forward to hosting you again.

Community Relation's Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My girlfriend and i stayed at the White Sands for 4 nights and 5 days and i loved it. It was one of the best experiences out of the country I have ever experienced.
The service in the sports bar from Akeem was amazing and the service in the buffet from Travoy was exceptional. Both young men made an impact on my experience in the most positive way and i truly grateful from all of the staff at the Whites Sands.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kiara G
Dear Kiara G,

We are happy that we were able to be apart of that very special occasion and that we played our part in making it quite memorable.
Yes Indeed! Akeem & Travoy is simple the best. Our team members will be happy to hear about your commendations. This will be very motivating for them.

Thank you for choosing our beautiful resort, and please do come again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Very disappointing. No bottled or canned beer - warm draft beer in plastic cups. Tips definitely were expected by staff for anything and everything. Redundant daily activities. 4-5 stray dogs from the locals would wonder on the resort. Sewer smell would waft through the resort late at night and in the early morning hours. Not a great experience.

Room Tip: Wifi only worked on balcony or beside balcony door. Did not work well in our room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Cheryl C
Dear Cheryl C

Thank you for this very detailed review.
We appreciate all your commendations and apologise for all the inconsistencies.
Please note that we are always working to ensure the highest level of satisfaction for all our guest.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Royalton White Sands Resort is an first class hotel, I would rate it a 5 star hotel. I truly enjoyed my stay. The beach, pool, food, employees, just everything was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel in beautiful Jamaica.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Lisagayewalker
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Lisagayewalker,

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. We are happy that you had a fulfilled time with us. Your review will most definitely inspire our team.

We rely on the comments of our guest to determine whether or not we are meeting our service standards. Your positive review has shown us that we are right on the target of our aim.

Thank you for your review! We cant wait to serve you again.

Have a Royal Day!

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Over the past 15 years I have stayed at some Premium Resorts in the Caribbean, I recently stayed at the Royalton White Sands and it is among the best. Its service, world class facility, international cuisine and the warmth of its team sets it apart from many of the other family resorts. I stayed at the resort when it was Starfish and one of the things that impressed me most on this visit, was the fresh new look and feel of the property. The rooms were wonderful. I stayed on the 7th floor and the view of the property out to the ocean made me wonder if I should stay on the balcony of my room or go out and enjoy the facility. The kiddie’s centre was great, the Steakhouse was great, the buffet was great, my 10 year old daughter is already planning her return trip to the resort. I would highly recommend this property to families with small children. Thanks to the team at Royalton, my family vacation was made that much more special.

Room Tip: Higher Floors have a great view of the property and the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nadine W
Dear Nadine W,

EXCELLENT....Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands!

Thank you for the feedback. We are motivated to have you rank us as a great resort.
Our management team and team members will continue to work towards maintaining our great factors and overtime exceeding them.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we will be happy to do so a second time.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from RWS yesterday. Stayed from July 2-9 2014. My brother got married on the resort and oh man was this was an experience! Our group was about 45 people and there was something there for everyone. There are a few negative things but they should not cloud your judgement about this hotel- it’s truly amazing.
First off CHECK IN- they tried their best to accommodate such a large group. A lot of our rooms were not ready as we had arrived at 10am in the morning and check in was not until 3. They greeted us with delicious rum punch and gave our rooms if they were ready. For everyone else they left our luggage in a private room. I however took my luggage and left it in my friends room and when my room was ready a bell boy went to my friends room, grabbed my luggage and brought it to my room- very much appreciated.
FOOD- food was great. This is not an extremely large resort so there were about 5 places in total to eat. The Buffet, the Japanese tappenyaki, the steak house, Italian restaurant and the sports bar. The Buffet had something for everyone, also the service with serving drinks was very slow, at most times i would bring my own drink from my mini fridge as i would usually finish my food before someone finally came by to ask if i would have a refreshment with my meal. There is lots of variety at the buffet to choose from- during breakfast there was an omelette station which during lunch and dinner would be the pasta station. I ate that pasta 4 days in a row, it was simply delicious. The Japanese restaurant was by far the best meal i had at the resort. The service was lightning fast, they gave us as much sushi as we wanted, and the chef was entertaining and very funny. And the deep fried ice-cream was to die for. The steak house was one of the first restaurants we went to. I found the temperature inside very hot and there was no air circulation- the entire room was flooded with smoke. The service was also pretty slow and the steak a little under cooked. But it was a nice atmosphere. The day after we went to the Italian restaurant for the rehearsal dinner. The bride and groom set up a fixed dinner which included a soup, a pasta, a steak dinner & a dessert. We were about 40 attending this dinner so the service was probably the slowest i had experienced on the resort. Our dinner was about 3 hours start to finish and most people didn’t even wait for dessert. However, all the food was wonderful- even the bread served with olive tapenade- delicious. The sports bar serves things like wings, onions rings, burgers, fries etc... Be prepared to wait about 40 minutes for anything to be serviced to you. The wings were actually really good as were served dry with a sweet sauce on the side. They also served jerk chicken on the beach for lunch. The chicken is very good, served is good quantities and comes with lots of sides such as rice, roast potatoes, chopped veggies, eddo, beans etc... the sides also vary from day to day and the line ups go by fast which is a really convenient when you are lounging on the beach and don’t feel like getting ready to go to a restaurant to eat lunch. I recommend asking Dion the chef for ‘Jerk Pork’ which is served apon request also re: room service. Nothing great there- only thing decent i had was the cheeseburger and the French fries. Their penne pasta tasted like the sauce was made of ketchup. Even the diamond club room service menu was nothing to boast about. Pretty much the same things.
BEACH- the beach was absolutely stunning, very little seaweed compared to other resorts i have been too. Always chairs on the beach. It is a smaller beach but i like that a lot better. Also the waitresses were very nice and helpful.
ROOMS- our room was beautiful, we had the option to upgrade to ocean view- did go through with it but we received a beautiful ocean view anyways. Everything worked in our room- absolutely no complaints. The giant shower head was fabulous- great water pressure, always hot water. The rooms are very modern although small but we never spent time in the rooms anyways. Lots of ample lighting!!! The TV always had my boyfriend’s favorite shows on (which kind of annoyed me). They also showed the world cup games which meant all the men on the resort were nowhere to be found.
GROUNDS- i had recently stayed at another resort in Mexico that was so huge that you needed golf carts to get around (not kidding). The walk from your room to the beach was literally 12-15 min each way. RWS is not like that. From any restaurant to the beach to your room to the lobby was all a nice short stroll. I really appreciated the small size of the resort. The resort is also not overcrowded and we were able to enjoy every one of the amenities because of this. Including their water slide (very nice touch 4 different slides and all terrifying). The 3 large pools, the nice beaches etc...
ENTERTAINMENT- every night outside the sport bar there was some kind of entertainment. Whether it been steel drums, a magic show or a dancehall group that came and performed for us. It was always followed by the staff coming out and leading to a bunch of dancing. Almost everyone joined in; it was a lot of fun every night. On Monday they had a beach party and held dance competitions. And the manager was even there to talk to people. The resort threw us a bonfire for the people in our wedding group which they blocked off the private diamond club beach and provided us with drinks. Nice touch.
WEDDING- the wedding day was very nervous for the bride but everything was amazing, the coordinator Chandlyn was fabulous- always came through to her word. Hand delivered all the flowers to the brides room, made last minute detail changes- everything!. koodos to her. The ceremony was absolutely beautiful except it was on the windy side. It included a saxophone player and a singer who had such a beautiful voice i didn’t even realize it was a live person- i thought i was a cd playing. The photographers were trying to be very patient with the group but being such a big group of us and no one was paying attention you can tell they were getting a little frustrated. After the ceremony there was a cocktail hour which included 3 types of kaboobs with sauces and a wide variety of drinks including champagne. we had the reception at the private convention hall- oh man the food selection was ON POINT- they had every type of meat and sides and sauces and the desserts were great. The cake was simple and beautiful. The bar was loaded with every imaginable type of liquor- however the bar tender seemed very tired throughout the night.
Last but definitely not least- the service- where do i begin; everyone who works there need to be recognized for their warm welcoming efforts. From start to finish i felt as though i was pampered. This alone would make me come back to this resort. From the gentlemen who makes the cappuccinos in the front lobby, to the man who made my pasta every lunch who took care and love with each plate, to the ladies who cleaned our room. Every last touch was given by the staff. The entertainment crew during the pool hours were hilarious and the gentlemen Love who gave us a small tour of the other suites at the resort really gave us his time and care.
All in all this was the best resort i have ever been too. i can’t wait to come back. Defiantly a 5 star in every respect. Don’t listen to other reviews putting this place down- its a real gem!

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Jayf89
Dear Jayf89

Thank you or choosing Royalton White Sands. Your informative review assisted us with analysing our overall customer service and amenities.

It was a privilege to have been able to host you. Its always our sincere wish that each guest returns home feeling happy and rejuvenated.
We hope to welcome you back very soon to our resort.

Have a Royal Day!!

Regards,

Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Didn't want to leave. Absolutely fabulous. Service at its best with nice and dedicated staff. If you have kids this is the spot for you. The kids Club is so amazing. Only one issue; I had to leave too soon! Can't wait for my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank aliveyah
Dear Aliveyah,

AMAZING INDEED.........

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to read your commendations about our great food, excellent service and our helpful team members. This is our main aim, to provide a great vacation experience. Thank you for choosing one of Jamaica's best: Royalton White Sands.

It was our pleasure hosting you, and we cant wait to do it again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!