“Not quite 5 star but a great vacation”

Royalton White Sands Resort
Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Not quite 5 star but a great vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The refurb on this since it was called breezes is excellent and it is much improved. The staff are generally great and the food was excellent (best food was jerk hut on the beach - nuff respect Dion). However for the money there could be more - the food choice is limited compared to the similar resorts in the Caribbean and the entertainment didn't cut it for us. There could have been more reggae and it's a disappointment that the main late night bar is basically an imitation of an American sports bar with little reference to the Jamaican location.

There was a daily schedule if events but it changed with little explanation. It did seem that the staff were enjoying the entertainment more than the staff sometimes.

We were there 2 weeks so the repeat of the weekly schedule was a drag too.

Little things - like attending to advance requests for a crib - are what set fine service apart. So not 5 star and not huge on value for money.

Room Tip: Get one of the suites at the seaward end of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank iTropical D
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello Itropical D,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing Royalton White Sands. We are Happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the commendations of our resort. I will be sure to share with our team.
I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Royalton White Sands.
Have a royal day.

Community Relation's Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,360)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Burnley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Where do I start a fantastic welcome at the hotel with a very civilised check in system seated on comfortable sofa's with organised staff handing out AI bands & room keys. Helpful porters taking us to our seaview room. Wonderful A la carte restaurants with only1 requiring booking. All the food even in the buffet restaurant was delicious good to mention the lovely Allison Henry, the sports bar where I highly recommend the buffalo wings the sauce is amazing especially if you like it hot mention for our server Betti Ann & Lavardo our bar man who had an excellent rapport with the clients. Enjoyed the variety of outdoor entertainment. Steak restaurant served a really good tenderloin cooked to your liking, Italian restaurant is a must if you enjoy pizza & lamb cutlets again cooked to your liking yum. The Zen restaurant gave a wonderful show & served up some tasty red snapper, chicken, beef, stir fry veg worth at least one visit.
We prefer the beach which was glorious with air conditioning supplied by the lovely breeze security was taken seriuosly in a good way as they kept the beach sellers at bay, the sunloungers were more comfortable than previous resorts we've stayed at. The service of drinks on the beach was personalised by Denise only 1 of our servers always smiling & helpful. The FREE wifi was available even on the beach.
We thoroughly enjoyed the seating areas which were beautifully set out from the sumptuous couchs next to the mood lighting & the fountains, or the ground floor settees facing the sea & feeling the breeze. Martini bar shout out to Clarence for a cocktail or a short of Benedictine.
The entertainment team were fun & well performed. I joined in the aqua aerobics a couple of time hosted by Marlon I think was his name he worked us hard but made ti very enjoyable.
The rooms were very modern Patrick filled our beer fridge & it was kept very clean & well stocked with toiletries & towels. The bed was super comfortable.
I would highly recommend this hotel the only thing I would say is if you prefer a busy resort with lots of hotels around this wouldn't be for you.

Room Tip: My preference is always a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lesley B
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello Lesley B,

Thank you for your review of Royalton White Sands.
We're so happy that you had such an amazing visit with us. It seems like you enjoyed every minute of your vacation stay and that is exactly the kind of excellent feedback we love to hear! We wish you the best and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reading, Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We travelled with Thomson 24/7 - 8/8 as a family of 7 including a teenager and 2 children.
Check in at the Royalton was quick and smooth, we were shown to our 2 rooms (requested by email week before to have rooms next door to each other ). First impressions were nice clean modern rooms but quite small, when I went onto the balcony I was disappointed - the 3 rd floor room overlooked the back service road and some kind of water tank. Although we hadnt paid for a sea view I expected to see some of the resort and gardens. We politely asked Dahlia if we could change rooms and the following morning we had 2 rooms (207, 208) overlooking the steak house and gardens. We had the usual problems with the rooms, air con playing up, smell from bathroom etc - the maintenance team were always there to try and fix the problem. Dahlia always asked how our room was as we passed by her each day.
Food was great and we never had a problem getting seats together. Trudy Ann in the buffet always had a smile and a joke. We never had a problem getting into the restaurants.
Go to the welcome meeting as Alex the Thomson rep is great - it's short n sweet and no pressure to book anything. We done several trips and highly recommend Mark who is affiliated to the Hotel and has his own mini bus ( he is situated on the roundabout on left as you walk out of reception ) he is far far cheaper than Thomson and you aren't tied to times with him. He took us to Dunns Falls, where we stopped to shop on the way and whilst we spent the day at the falls he waits in his mini bus - you arrange the price per head before you go (haggle )!! he brings his cool box full of ice so you can take your drinks
from the mini bar and his bus is comfy and air conditioned .He took us to Ricks Cafe, shopping at Montego Bay, and to the
bank. The locals on the beach are friendly and all have a story to tell you , they braid hair really reasonable and sell the usual trinkets.
The lifeguards at the pool are a real bonus, it's reassuring to have them there, Lionel and Michael always sat with us and had a chat, they all love their jobs and work so hard.
Our waitress at the pool, Shanoy was brilliant , she is constantly coming round with drinks - she treated us so well - we don't tip until the last day and we can honestly say we were treated no different to those that tip each day.
We always got a lounger and parasol and it's a bonus not needing a ticket for towels. The only fault we have is through Thomson as they dont advertise
The swim up bar and pool as adults only. Also the adults only pool needs a bigger sign stating this - we heard Damion a pool maintenance worker snap at children on most days for using this pool but if you enter the pool from the beach area there is no sign saying its adults only. The adults pool was quite empty on most days and almost seemed a waste.
The beach is lovely and clean and the water safe for children.
As most people mention in their reviews the staff here are absolutely amazing, everyone is so polite and friendly, you can't fault them. This seems the norm in Jamaica, wherever you go the people are lovely. If only people in the UK had this attitude!
We would love to return, maybe next time we would have a suite for a bit more room.
weeks.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank baytree97
Hello baytree97,

Thank you for taking time to write such a kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your encounters with our staff and that we were able to assist you with your needs. We appreciate you sharing your experience and hope to welcome you back to Royalton White Sands.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just came back from a week vacation here with family and friends and their families. We all have young children from 2-7 years old and all the kids had a great time especially in the water-park area. The adults had fun going down the slides too!
GROUNDS: and decor were modern, new and clean. The property is small but cozy.
ROOM: clean, a little tiny but cozy, new bed, new pillows (too new they were so stiff. We were punching them to break them in). Unfortunately the WiFi only worked in the washroom and if I held my iPhone over the balcony but our friends didn't have any issues getting wiFi in their room so it must've been where our room was situated. I told the front desk 3 times and they said they'll get to the bottom of it but it never got resolved. We were happy we got wiFi everywhere else on the hotel grounds so it wasn't a big deal.
FOOD: was great. Can't really complain having 3 omelette stations, a smoothie station in the buffet and 3 restaurants, Steak, Italian and Japanese. You don't need to make any reservations except for the Japanese restaurant. Which, I was surprisingly impressed with the chef's tappenyaki skills. Very entertaining. The food was pretty decent too. You get 3 options for appetizer but only get to choose 1. Go with Miso soup. The spicy soup was too spicy to enjoy and the tempura was way too greasy. You don't need reservations for the steakhouse but it was a very loooong waiting time. Be prepared to walk out smelling like food. It gets pretty smoky in there from the grilling. Try to get a table outside. There's also no reservation required for the Italian restaurant. Salad bar was pretty sad, same with the pasta but the pizzas are really good. It's wood burning oven. Risotto was pretty good too. They had lamb chops which were pretty tasty.
I generally eat only veggies but on this trip I ate like a carnivore! All the beef, lamb and chicken were just so good! Oh and their patties are the best. It was clearly a favourite for everyone.
Every day starting 12:30pm they served jerk chicken and pork by the beach and burgers and hotdogs by the pool. The buffet restaurant was open for lunch too.
MOST MEMORABLE: BBQ BEACH NIGHT! They brought all the buffet foods out on the beach and had grills burning for the jerk chicken and pork and set up white linen tables on the sand. It was beautiful. Afterwards they had entertainment and hermit crab racing you can place bids on! Lol. Finally they opened the dance floor and my husband and kids never had so much fun dancing in the sand with our sandals off. It was such a lovely evening.
GYM: NO AIR CONDITIONER. YUCK. People complained but still worked out.
WEATHER: Prefect temperature. Didn't rain a single day. But it was really windy. Some days we didn't go on the beach cuz the sand was whipping at us. There was even a day we had to close our umbrella by the pool cuz the wind would've knocked it over.
OVERALL: we had a great time and would definitely go back again. Hopefully when it's less windy.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello Heidi R,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and all that our lovely resort has to offer! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We always strive to exceed our guest's expectations and I'm happy to hear that we were able to accomplish that with you! Thank you again for our comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Maple Ridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

my husband planned our entire honeymoon (ladies point them in this direction) and it was fantastic. we had the diamond package and it was well worth the money. the staff is amazing. our housekeeper Angela was amazing. the food was some of the best resort food I've ever had.
and even though we don't have kids in the future when we do i would come back with them.
it is good too for doing day tips because it is only 45 minutes away from ocho rios.

Room Tip: all rooms have an ocean view so they are all good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kendra D
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Hello Kendra D,

Thank you for your great review!
We loved hearing about your incredible vacation experience at Royalton White Sands and that you thoroughly enjoyed exploring the beautiful island surroundings. It's great that you felt completely pampered during your honeymoon time with us,and it was our pleasure being able to make sure all your needs were met. We hope to see you again soon and we look forward to welcoming you back to paradise!

Have a royal day,

massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I just deleted my old review of this hotel and updated it with a lengthier review. You really should consider staying here.

I have to rave about the staff. Wonderful and attentive to our needs. Kudos to Daryl at check in, Darienne with valet And Stephan the concierge. The hotel is beautiful, clean and there is a great attention to detail. But truly, it is the staff that makes the hotel so special. The bar staff made great drinks for me (easy on the rum) and my husband (who asked for them strong) and they did so with a smile! The buffet food was nice and there was a nice variety each day. Most of our meals were at the buffet.
Trudy-Ann ( buffet hostess) was superb and always greeted us with "here's the happy family!" The beach lunches are a must as well as the steak house. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant and they were great with catering to my seafood allergy and my daughter's vegetarianism. The Italian restaurant was good, but if there is no breeze, it gets hot.

The staff is incredibly friendly and hard-working. Remember to bring lots of small bills and tip them well! They stocked our fridge and kept our room sparkling. If you order room service, you will probably get amazing service from a waiter who brings the trays to you on his head. So cool.

I highly recommend getting the van to The hotel to/from the airport, arranged through the hotel. Fast, friendly and safe! Ask for Keith or Rennie; they took very good care of us to/from the airport and Keith did a fabulous job one day taking us to Green Grotto Caves and Blue Hole (see my reviews on those!).

I would suggest you stay on the third floor with a beach view (Portions of the x-shaped hotel nearest the beach.) It makes for an easy walk to everything, as the elevators sometimes get hot and crowded. We just walked up most times. The noise at night was never too bad and we turned in early (lots of early morning excursions).

We did not join the diamond club; the beach access looked about the same, but perhaps you got more behind the scenes perks.

My daughter and son (14 and 17) loved the place, though we did not utilize the teen club. There was plenty for them to do onsite day and night. Great water slides, pool access and nice evening entertainment. The place is so safe for kids to roam.

We ran in to a lovely 4-generation family from Toronto and we all agreed that guests at the hotel were great. All the guests were friendly and having fun, but never obnoxious or "snooty." I cannot say that about many places I have visited! It truly was a nice balance of a wide range of people just happy to be there. It seems that guests come from all over the world and we heard many different languages spoken, though it seemed guests were primarily English, Canadian and American. Many Jamaican families came for the weekend from Kingston.

We saw several weddings (WOW! Is all I can say). I would recommend this hotel to any couple or family. The service is superb and the setting lovely.

I only have one criticism: there was no Ting or Ginger Beer! These Jamaican sodas are so tasty and I was disappointed that I had to go offsite for them.

I could go on and on. You need a taxi to get to other attractions, but the solitude and beauty there are worth it!

Room Tip: Third or fourth floors facing the beach make for easy walking to the beach, restaurants, activities.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mama_in_vegas
Hello Mama_in_vegas,

Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands as your hotel destination.
We're elated that you had such a wonderful time! It means the world to us, that you thought our
staff was first class and loved everything about the property.

Thanks for your good wishes and we will be sure to let the staff know that their service exceeded your expectations (as it is our biggest goals).

We hope the world is ready for a ROYAL experience, because we're ready to provide it!
Have a Royal day.

Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

The staff at this hotel make sure that you feel comfortable during your stay. The food & drinks are excellent. If you are going to stay here with a family of four it's best to get a Family Room instead of the standard room. This was our first time at this resort & we're happy that we had two rooms to spread out. I will definitely come back here in the future with a bigger room.

• Stayed August 2014
Hello Altess45,

Thank you so much for your overwhelmingly positive comments about Royalton White Sands! Our team takes great pride in our level of service and I'm glad we were able to make your week a happy and memorable one. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home Royalton.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!