“ONE OF OUR BEST VACTION”

Royalton White Sands Resort
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Hackensack, New Jersey
“ONE OF OUR BEST VACTION”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Well where do I begin? My family & I including 11 & 10 year old spent 8 wonderful nights July5 to 13 I have bene to several resorts over 30 years this is one of the best, We checked into the Diamond Club and immediatley taken to our suite ocean view which was perfect, 24 hr rooom service 1 & 1/2 bath loved the pillow menu.

Now the most important was the staff everyone was so attentive had the same server for breakfast & lunch Karina we sat down and she knew what we drank. Roberta was also a lovely person. We ate at all 3 restaurants enjoyed the Zen the best, the night we went to steak house Mr. Alexander suprized us with a bottle of wine @ our table. (he also a great dancer)
Loved the idea of including Jamaican dishes,lots of fruits. No matter were we ad dinner we always return ot the dinning room for deserts. The Marttini Bar was a big hit. After my morning walks on the beach it was delight to be able to stop at the Cafe for a cup of coffee and converse with our guest.

No matter where we went on the property the staff always greeted us with a smile, the Diamond Club beach had cabanas food & drinks orders were taken, even by the pool. The WATER PARK was a big big hit with everyone loved the bucket drops. Life guards were very attentive Did I mentioned there were bottled water available around the property.?

Our houskeeper Ophelia and Chrisan (our night turn down) took time to leave us a lovely note on our bed on our last night. Would alos like to mention Steven, Ian, Omar, Dahila and the ovely ladies in the Diamond Club lounge always available.My daughter also had a spa treatment, said it was great. A special thanks to Richardo who it seems to be everywhere, everything I ask of him was accomplished, he even extended a hospitality room to us after checking out.
Everyone and thing exceeded our expection, they were all professional management was always approachable and available, Extra, Extra thanks and appreation to Kerry Ann Quallo .

We look forward to our next vacation at Royalton White Sands, next time for alonger time.

Room Tip: From talking to other guest it seems all the rooms were great. The suites are however better if...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank compcare
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hello Compcare,

Your kind review is most appreciated. It is great to read that your experience with us was wonderful overall but I am particularly happy to note your love for our food and friendliness of our team members.

It is most gratifying to be listed as one of your best vacations, and I hope that you will be back to enjoy more in future.

Thank you for sharing your review!

Community Relation's Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,412)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This first part was written my my husband:
I can only compare this to our trip to Dominican Republic at The Excellence Punta Cana, but this fell a bit short of my expectations. We traveled down for my sister-in-law's wedding, and 49 people were with us.

The positives:
- The resort was extremely clean and well kept, 5 out of 5 if that were the only criteria.
- The staff were very friendly, despite the fact I think they were understaffed and unprepared for the amount of people at the resort which we were told was "at capacity".
- The wedding was great, the setting by the ocean, the dinner and dancing all went off perfectly.
- Beach towels were always available
- The Beach area is very nice, and a good breeze comes in from the ocean so it keeps it very cool.
- Free wifi

Our experiences that made this fall short were:
- I found the prepared food, overall, to be quite salty, be it pasta sauce, steak, chicken, fries, pizza etc... all quite salty for my taste.
- Phones for the 2 rooms we needed to contact didn't work (one was for the bride to be) and were never fixed. We were told this was a resort-wide problem but did not have any trouble reaching the rest of the guests in our large party.
- room service on 2 of 4 occasions had to be called in twice after a 2 hour wait
- the room service that did come was a 1.5 hour wait when they said it would be 45 mins
- They had no chicken wings left for the first 2 days... not really a big deal but something to be aware of
- The room cleaning/stocking was a bit sporadic. We arrived at 11pm on Saturday. Sunday, they came at 8:30 am and woke us up, we asked if they could come back later, after we had used the towels, and they said yes, but never did. We did get our mini-fridge stocked that day though.
The second day, we left the DND sign on the door until 10am when we put the "Service Room" sign up. We came back at 4:00 with nothing done, so my wife asked the cleaning lady who was down the hall and she was kind enough to come and change our sheets and towels next. She apologized and said she had to get the new arrivals ready. We got no mini-fridge service that day, but we did get a call at 10pm asking if we needed our mini-fridge stocked...
The third day (our last full day) the mini fridge was stocked and the cleaning staff came by around 1:00pm...
- The first 2 nights, it sounded like machinery or something was running outside our room somewhere causing a hum, I wondered if we were by a laundry room, cooling unit or something, but never figured out what it was and thankfully was tired enough to sleep anyway. The last 2 nights were quiet.

Again, the staff was extremely friendly and the place was really well maintained. I imagine that is quite a bonus. Our stay at The Excellence in Dominican Republic was above and beyond service, so that set the bar very high. Also, there were no pushy salespeople selling trips every day, like at the excellence.

If you don't mind going out of your way a bit to get service, and want a clean place then you'll probably enjoy yourself.
--------------
I would like to say in addition to that:
1) The assortment of food was below my standard for a 5 star resort - I expected more authentic cuisine at the buffet, and a better selection of fresh fruit juices.
- some guests told me that they booked 5 days in advance for the Zen restaurant. When we got there, the food was good, but our chef did more talking and no skills show. We noticed other chefs putting on a fine show. I was disappointed. There were only 3 tables that seated 8 people each, available at a time for dinner. Far too small of a restaurant for the capacity of the hotel.

- the tenderloin at the Hunter Steakhouse was delicious and perfectly cooked. It was disappointing that we were kept waiting 2 hours to seat 6 of us. The restaurant was quite small in table numbers.

2) The beach was pretty. White sand and lots of beach chairs. Staff did a good job of keeping it clean, despite the amount of seaweed that washed up regularly. We went later in the day after the morning rush and we were always able to find a chair.

3) The phone system - my sister got married at the resort and the entire time that we were there, their phone was not working. We were told that they would have it done "today" over the course of many days. Never happened by the time we checked out. The bride had to keep going down to the lobby every time she needed room service, or to make arrangements with the spa or concierge whom we asked in the lobby to help us carry the bridal things to the spa. We were told that they would send someone up, and as a result of waiting for staff who never came, we were late to the spa for our hair and makeup before the wedding, having to take everything there ourselves.

The wedding coordinator, staff an photographers did a great job with the actual wedding. The stylists at the salon were amazing and went above and beyond to create beautiful hairstyles for the bridal party and the bride, as well as makeup. The food was perfect and we had no major problems for the evening. Thank you Royalton for doing a beautiful job with my sister's wedding.

My impression is that the resort, although renovated and beautiful, has too many rooms and not enough restaurants or activities to accommodate the guests. We won't likely return to this resort. Probably another resort on the island next time. I would rate it a 3.75 out of 5 stars.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank NursingGirl03
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Hello NursingGirl103,

We are happy to have had the opportunity to host you at our resort and that you were able to enjoy what we had to offer. It is however disappointing to note that your expectations were not exceeded in a way we always aim for.

I do wish to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us as this very helpful. We are continuously making improvements to our resort and its services to further increase guests’ satisfaction and as such, your sentiments have already been reviewed. It is our hope that, in light of this, you may consider our resort for future.

USA
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just returned from a week at the Royalton with 14 family members/friends and everyone had a wonderful time at the resort. The staff were the most welcoming we’ve experienced at any resort anywhere in the world - warm and friendly, eager to help and everyone always greeting you - which makes for a great atmosphere. A special mention to Allison Henry in the buffet who was like a family member by the end of the trip and anticipated our every need! We were a mixed group and both the younger and older couples and those with small children found activities and environments to suit them, which was perfect. Food was excellent (including in the buffet!) and there was something to suit every appetite and diet. Finally, the resort has some great innovations like free wi-fi (we always got a great signal in our room and balcony), self-serve buckets of iced bottled water throughout the resort and the ability to get as many beach towels as you want at a time, which we really appreciated.

The few drawbacks we experienced really weren’t serious, so just be prepared to take them in stride. If you want to eat at the Italian restaurant know going in that it will take an almost unbelievable amount of time to receive your food. We dined there twice and both times our meal took forever to arrive. (On one occasion our party of 6 had to wait 45 minutes when the restaurant wasn’t busy just for our appetizers, which were salads. On the other occasion it took 20 minutes just to get water.). But the food is delicious if you’re not in a rush! If you have a room in the smaller buildings which house the suites, bring mosquito repellant or bug spray. We killed 19 mosquitoes in our room in one evening alone. (And we never left the door open!). The jerk hut is as good as everyone says – but Jamaican patties appear randomly and infrequently so definitely ask for them every day and hopefully you’ll get lucky at least once during your trip.

Finally, as we got married at the resort, a few words on the wedding services. In short, the wedding team is exceptional. The wedding location is picture perfect and Chandlyn and Jodi-Ann went out of their way to make sure our day was exactly what we wanted. And since Royalton only books one wedding a day (or so I was told, as compared to other resorts) each couple feels like the center of attention on their special day. I would 100% recommend getting married here to anyone considering taking the plunge at Royalton!

All in all, Royalton is a great resort with great people and great facilities. Don’t hesitate to book here if you’re considering it. We are already looking forward to coming back again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank UsaFrequentflyer
Hello UsaFrequentflyer,

Thank you for visiting our resort for your recent wedding celebration. It is truly quite pleasing that your expectations were met and you enjoyed our resort overall. Thank you also for commenting on the friendly and entertaining service of our team members.

It is always a satisfying feeling when guests leave positive comments so we thank you much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Have a royal day & please do come again.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This truly was one of the best ever holidays and one of the best ever hotels. Beautiful kept throughout, the very friendliest and most helpful staff, absolutely wonderful dining experiences in all the hotel's restaurants and buffet. I have absolutley no complaints.

Jamaica can be rather intimidating off site, obviously a poverty stricken country for some. But that didn't reflect in the people working at the hotel. They were always pleasant, helpful and very accommodating.

The hotel is rather remote from any other pubs, restaurants, or places to visit, so not really a place to go off walking in an evening or daytime.

Yes I would absolutley love to visit again. There are lots of opportunities to use the local travel services for trips and excursions, to let you experience the sights and adventures that Jamaica can offer.

Room Tip: I found our standard room (no upgrade) was absolutely fine, with wonderful Jamaican perculator coffe...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joseph H
Hello Joseph H,

Your kind review of our resort is most appreciated. Thank you for having selected Royalton White Sands as your hotel destination of choice and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
Thank you also for your open appreciation of our teams’ attention to details. I am happy that you loved it here and you will be back.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Royalton Resort. The experience was very good, from the warm welcome at check-in with Sudique , pleasant and helpful. Patrick Campbell, Assistant Housekeeping Manager very professional, informative and customer oriented.

The grounds of the property are well kept and very quiet, the staff are very courteous and takes very special interest in the guests well being by ensuring we enjoy and maximize the vacation.

Kudos to Stacy in Sales, Tiffany, Keresa , Romeo (Zen), Tanesha and other members at Entertainment good work. The staff is superb.

Myself, children and the group enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We will return.

M. Forbes, Montego Bay, Jamaica

Room Tip: Seventh Floor rooms are very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Michelle F
hello Michelle F,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at Royalton White Sands. We are indeed happy to note that your time with us was an enjoyable one and wish to thank you for highlighting the individuals who had a positive impact on your stay.

We are very happy that you made us your destination of choice and that we were able to satisfactorily meet your needs and expectations.

Have a royal day & please come again.

San Jose,calif
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We enjoyed the week in this resort . Staffs appeared working hard and professional. Front desk staff ( except one receptionist) did extra steps to help me with phone calls to taxi drivers for our excursions. The funny thing was the resort offers free international calls to some countries in North America,( US, Canada, Mexico) and some European countries. But they charge $ 1USD/ minute for local calls.
The maid services, twice a day, were excellent. Feeling bad , I asked the maid in evening shift not to bother cleaning my room. Food meets my standard. One worker lady in the buffet restaurant makes good smooth from peanut butter, cereals, raisins and other stuffs. The first time I tried it and it was the best peanut butter smoothie in my life. Other worker 's smothie was not as good as hers. Sorry that I don't remember her and other excellent staffs' names.
The Jamaican jerk barbecue meals served at the pool/ beach were excellent.

The children enjoyed the water parks, and nice warm ocean.

There was only one thing which bothered me was sale persons stationed on each floor, by the elevators. I used the stairs at the end of the wirng to avoid sale pitch.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean views, but will be noisy. Don't choose on ground floor ( VIP rooms) facing the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank teeteeSanJose
WhiteSandsGM, Manager at Royalton White Sands Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello TeeteeSanJose,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort. It was certainly a pleasure to have been able to open our doors to you and extend our usual great service. Thank you for choosing Royalton White Sands.

We look forward to welcoming you back Home for many more vacations to come.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Where do I begin?

Went down for a wedding, stayed five days.

PROS:
The resort is beautiful.

The pool is gorgeous.

Certain staff are friendly and helpful:
Arshaney at the front desk. I think he's a bellman.
Allison, Petal, Robert & Jaise at the buffet.
Chandlyn & Jodi-Ann in Wedding Services.
Alishia from housekeeping was great! I left something after checkout, drove back to the resort to retrieve it and she was holding it for me hoping I returned!
Robert at the transportation desk. I think he's a bellman.

CONS:
The beach is rocky and dirty.

Guests smoke at the pool, beach, and outdoor bars.

The phone in my room didn't work from the day I checked in and no one came to fix it although I reported it upon arrival. That means anytime I needed something I had to walk to the front desk.

Upon check in (I got there about 6:30 pm), my bathroom had a stack of dirty towels in the center of the floor and the wastebaskets hadn't been emptied.

No hooks in the bathroom to hang wet towels. Not a one!

The food is bland and common; everything you eat at home is served here daily. NOT ONCE was a traditional Jamaican breakfast offered. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. everyday.

Some women at the front desk are downright nasty. One even tried to discourage and actually stop me from attempting to retrieve my left item! Told me that no one turned it in so it must be gone. She wasn't even going to check with or call someone in housekeeping!

Another woman at the front desk told me that I couldn't set up late checkout a day ahead of time although I was holding in my hand, the departure letter from the hotel stating that their policy was to schedule late checkouts the day before departure. So was this woman unfamiliar with the hotel's policy (it was clearly printed on the letter I was holding), or was she just choosing not to allow me to set up late checkout?

I paid for transportation back to the airport. I arrived thirty minutes ahead of time to the transportation desk. The men sitting at that desk spent their time laughing and joking so much, my ride came and left. Their job was to inform me when the van arrived, but they were too busy clowning around. They thought it was hilarious and laughed right in my face as well as spoke to me harshly as if it were my responsibility to go up to every van that pulled up every five minutes to ask if it was there for me.

I did notice that when certain guests are present, the staff in general, seems to pull out their best professional behavior. However, they seem to be under the impression that certain guests don't warrant the same treatment.

NOW FOR THE THIEVERY:
A person in my party had $1200 stolen from her safe. Another woman had $400 stolen from her safe the day before. Every room has a safe, you input your code, you're done. Both ladies went to use their codes, the safes wouldn't open, a staff member came to use the hotel's override code, safe opens and the money is gone. The common denominator? Both women were BRIDES! Both thefts occurred while the weddings were in progress. The timestamps from the electronic key cards prove this in my friends case.

Another person traveling with us had the same thing happen where her code didn't work and the hotel staff had to use the override code except that she didn't have money in her safe, she had electronics.

The management (Mr. Love and his boss the General Manager) were unhelpful, dismissive, and downright condescending. They accused the bridal party of stealing the money, and when that theory didn't fly, they actually blamed the groom of stealing his own money! They suggested he take a polygraph exam to exonerate himself. How insulting! I can't make this stuff up folks! You had to be there to witness this circus. The police came and of course found nothing. No print dusting, no questioning staff, just determined that the case was closed because the culprit couldn't be determined.

Something else odd happened. I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door, but at 11:30 pm someone knocked on my door and declared they were from housekeeping. I looked out the peep hole to see two men with towels in their hands. I told them I didn't need anything. I wonder if they were really trying to deliver towels or just see if I was in my room?

So all in all I felt unsafe, the menu was tasteless and repetitive, and the greater majority of the staff possessed an arrogant, discourteous, grouchy demeanor.

STAY ANYWHERE BUT HERE!

#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Royalton White Sands Resort? Share your experiences!