“Opening week”

Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Opening week”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I arrived during opening week, so they were still working on some cosmetic details like planting and hanging pictures but that did not take away from our experience. The service was great, food awesome, rooms were very modern. The staff is amazing! Everyone is extremely helpful and will go out of their way to make you comfortable. Definitely going back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Qtkira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ontario
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I am currently a guest at the RIU Palace and will be staying here for two weeks in total. We have only been here for a couple of days and already this hotel has really made an impression on us! Checkin was wonderful and Rachelle was fabulous answering all of our questions asking I wont be able to remind you again about Secret Santa! Hope you are able to participate and Merry Christmas! We are flying now! we are doing every chance she gets. Very professional and personal service! The elegance and modern decor of the hotel is the first thing you notice and we were served champagne immediately upon arrival. I will do a more thorough review after checkout; I felt it necessary to put this up now for anyone considering booking for the holidays. We felt very apprehensive about facing NEW hotel issues. I can assure you this hotel is not functioning like a newborn at all. So far everything has run very smoothly and every little request is filled. The staff really goes the extra mile! For example, I noticed there was no Redstripe beer in the minibar fridge and asked for some to be put in. What came was amazing! Not only did they bring the beer, they brought it delivered chilled on ice! That is just one small example of the level of service you will receive. We have had several such experiences already. The hotel staff have been very well trained and are truly attentive to every possible need. So many times now I have been offered service before it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a little extra service. An example is a server that carried my plate to my table for me after I filled it then picked up an apple leaving both hands full. Although I don't think I would have dropped my plate, that kind of extra service is spectacular! My husband doesn't impress easily and he has been nothing but impressed! He has found the Lobby Bar to be the most comfortable with perfectly made drinks. Recardo has been the most attentive bartender for him as well as myself although I am a beer drinker and cannot attest to the quality of mixed drinks. The spirits offered are premium, nothing watered down and there is simply no waits, no lines and quick service. If you have any questions or wish to see specific photos posted please message me while I am here and I will try to answer/help. So far this is not the 5 star I am used to, this is a 10 star!!! Oh and a previous review mentioned people bothering you at the beach? There are simply no beach peddlers on the palace side of this resort. No worries about that! As soon as any of the regular sellers see your Palace band they leave you alone. Peace and Tranquility is what this Palace is all about!

• Stayed December 2013
13 Thank raegingirl
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The rooms and facilities here are beautiful. The staff is friendly, helpful and they make you feel right at home....we were greeted by the bell hop a wonderful gentleman, made sure the room was good and how to work lights.... the front desk bring you Cava and.provide you with much information...I have not eaten at the specialty restaurants, however the buffets are delicious and plentiful. Visitors of the Palace can use the facilities of the neighboring Riu, this is where the shows are currently going on and water activities. The Palace has nightly music. The one small negative, the sea has sudden drop off.after about 2 ft of walking in...although there are warning signs and lifequard..I would have spent more time swimming in the beautiful green sea...this should not reflect your decision to come here..I'm fortunate to be here opening week ...Thanks Riu and the people of Jamaica

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank MsLadyBorsa
Cooper City, Florida
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The first impression of this ultra-luxe, ultra-modern resort was spectacular. We checked in opening night after traveling from Miami; the front desk staff were all warm, friendly, familiar faces from the sister resort so we immediately felt comfortable. However, it was obvious that it was opening night as it took longer than usual to check in and we were even given a room that was already occupied; still impressed with the property and a glimpse of the room, we were not the least bit turned off as the staff quickly handled that situation and we were in our room, oohhing and ahhing at the modern decor.

We paid for an ocean view upgrade that we realized at sunrise was not worth the extra bucks as the garden view in our opinion is a much better view. To get an ocean view, you must step onto the balcony and lean over to see the ocean(not sure this is safe). Most of the view is of thick brush. The upgrade to ocean front would have been a better value for the buck.

The food was great and the wait staff are so friendly! We encountered Keisha(I think thats the right spelling) every day of our stay and she took care of our every need. The service is top notch and its obvious staff have been very well trained. We have stayed at all the other RIUs in Jamaica and you can see a huge difference in the service.

It was extremely quiet and peaceful; for couples with no kids, this is it! We thoroughly enjoyed the no-crying zone and was reminded of it after our walk to the other property-it was so full, you were stepping over people on the beach. There is however a downside to peace an quiet-no entertainment but we did take a short stroll to the other property in the evenings to enjoy the shows.

All-in-all, we had a fantastic stay and have already booked our next stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Kathy W
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We just checked in on opening day, having been at Royalton White Sands for 5 days prior. What a DIFFERENCE!! Royalton has been open for a month when we got there (see my review on TA), and yet over here at The Palace, on day ONE, everything exceeded our expectations and beat Royalton hands down!

Check-in was a breeze, no waiting, everyone knew what they were doing. All the staff are so excited to have their first guests, you can just tell! The service is hands-down bar none. Everyone is genuine, everyone is there to make your trip great, and managers are everywhere quality controlling. This place is running so smoothly, you'd never think it just opened on Dec. 6th!

We're in an Oceanfront suite, it's SPACIOUS, ultra modern and loaded with a rockstar bathroom! The property is much smaller than you'd imagine. The Palace is essentially a large new wing directly attached to Riu Montego Bay. Guests of The Palace can use all amenities and services at Riu MB, however Riu MB guests can not enter this resort. The entire Palace is BREATHTAKING! From the moment you arrive in the lobby, the wow factor sets in, and really doesn't stop. This place is super sexy and the design finishes are gorgeous. This is the new Riu styling that the chain is putting into all their properties. It's a sophisticated and long overdue rebrand, and they've done it right!!

The beach is small, but beautifully manicured! This resort is allegedly located on the best spot of this bay. There are small break walls separating our beach from next door. In the water, there is a very steep drop close to shore, so you can't wade out too far before the ground disappears. It's great for snorkeling, and there is a large designated swimming area. Really doesn't bother me. There are two gorgeous pools if you'd rather. Plenty of sun and beach chairs, cabanas and hammocks! Booze & food is essentially 24/7 including room service. Yes, phones work and room service has lots of nice options. AC & wifi work GREAT all over resort. I also saw the Jacuzzi Suites, definitely worth the extra $$! They are just stunning and are located oceanfront.

The a la carte restaurants open this coming week. But for now, the buffet is going full speed. I hate buffets, and I must say... I'm SO impressed! It's first-class food, served in small portions and refreshed constantly by the chefs at each station. The selection and service is incredible. Kind of like a Vegas buffet, endless options! All the staff at the restaurant: waiters, chefs, hostesses, all pros! They make you feel special. Once the a la cartes open, they will add even more amazing options, as the menus are now on display at each restaurant for all to see what's coming. Steakhouse, Japanese, Italian, Fusion Gourmet. Each it's own sexy looking venue, can't wait to try them out!

PLEASE NOTE: Riu Palace Jamaica is beside Riu Montego Bay which is beside Sandals. Sandals private island is visible from our shore. We are DIRECTLY under the flight path! Planes fly overhead constantly. It's honestly a little annoying, but not real a huge problem considering the rest of this place! Not a deal-breaker in my personal (picky) opinion. ;) The planes actually become a spectacle to everyone watching.

I believe The Palace is currently only at 40% capacity so they can get up to speed slowly. Very smart! It's slower paced, but still a party here! Mostly younger/middle aged couples. There are some older couples too, and it looks like they're having a great time as well. Seems to me like they finished the top floor (3rd floor) first and are working their way down to ground level suites. There is NO construction noise or bother what-so-ever. Everything is done! Yes, they are finishing minimal decorations and dressing rooms, but housekeeping was out in full force today readying a whole bunch of new rooms. I've heard not one complaint from anyone... pretty crazy for a brand new resort!

This place is great. Hands down, it sets a new precedent for 5 STAR service here in Jamaica. I couldn't recommend it more! People from the next door Riu are even transferring over here to get away from the kids and crowd over there.

If you're on your way here, you're in for a really great treat! Enjoy it! (Pics to follow...)

• Stayed December 2013
30 Thank Watstar
Lowville, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This resort was above my expectation. Of the four RIUs in Jamaica I feel this is by far the best. I suppose the palace vs club level has something to do with this, but the price was really not much greater. Bloody Bay is one of the best beaches in the islands and the resort sits directly in the middle. The staff was outstanding and grounds well kept. Lots of locals on the beach peddleing their wares, but are harmless. Enjoyed a walk down the beach to the Office of Nature for a lobster and Red Stripe. The resort is a great place in a great spot.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Drysdale
Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel exceeded our already high expectations. It came highly recommended and was even better than we had been advised. The room was fabulous, housekeeping superb, mini bar even bettered the patio with Jacuzzi was a great touch - even the hammock.
The food was quite frankly some of the best I have ever eaten, with breakfast and lunch being buffet style mostly although not if you wanted a la carte, but evening meals were all a la carte with a huge choice of food - steak house , Italian pizzeria, Chinese , spice.
All the bars offered a huge choice of cocktails and drinks and all staff offered great service. Cuba entertainment was impressive with some great acts and singers .
Overall the holiday was the best ever and I would without question recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"