“Best hotel we've ever stayed in !”

Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Please ignore the negative review from Mr & Mrs Complain about everything ! We've just returned from an amazing week's holiday staying in this hotel and I can't stop raving about it. We travel quite a lot and have stayed in many hotels that claim to be five star and aren't but believe me, this one is definitely five star. The staff, service, rooms, setting and the food are all outstanding. If your going to Montego Bay then this is the hotel to stay in. Perfection in every way ! Thank you Riu Palace for an amazing holiday.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jackie H

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Let me start by saying I have travelled to Jamaica a total of 20 times and this was the 3rd time this year.

The reason I chose this resort because it was new. I was there Dec. 9 to 16, 2013 (3 days after opening the doors)

With all resort opening one has to be patient because everyone is getting acclimated to the new place.

Check in:
After traveling so long you want to cool off and rest. The check in process was quick and smooth. The chilled champagne was an excellent touch.Special thanks to Rochelle, Florence and Dannot

Rooms:
I was the first person to sleep in room 2045. This room was in a perfect place. Ocean view room and next to elevator and cannot hear the neighbors.
The room is very spacious with plenty of storage. Be advised the they have a non-traditional bathroom. The bathroom "parts" are not in a closed off room like most bathrooms; the toilet is in private little room. The shower in the corner with frosted class and purple glass brick still very private and huge with a rain shower head and hand held shower head with adjustable settings. The vanity area is spacious with 2 huge bowl sink. The room does have a blow dryer and plenty of outlets 120v. Also in the room is a jet tub with room for only 1 really. The King bed is huge roll twice and still on the bed. The bed is pretty comfortable too. The rooms is actually a Jr. Suite with a couch and desk/table. Huge television with a good selection of channels. The balcony is very spacious. Like all Riu resorts you have a liquor dispenser in the room (no additional charge), this resort you get a rum, whiskey, vodka and brandy. The mini bar includes soda (coke, diet coke, sprite and club soda), beer and water. Wonderful housekeeping. The room is services twice a day with turndown service. Thank you Maxine for checking on me everyday I needed that.

Food:
The buffet is plentiful and deliciouse better than expected for an all inclusive. I did not try the speciality restaurant because space was limited and it filled quickly and I wake slowly lol. Chill out bar (Aqua Lounge) open 24 hours with awesome food, the salmon is delicate and moist. Wonderful wait staff Christina took take care of me every morning, and Rochelle had me for lunch. Jaime one of the cooks always made my day.

Bars:
Lobby bar, Pool bar with swim up, and Aqua Lounge. All the bartenders are skilled at getting you drunk. My favorite bartenders have to be Fabian, Richard, Kemar, Andrei. These guys kept me feeling nice.

The resort has 2 pools the are not huge pools but just right for this small resort. The lifeguards are the friendliest people. Much love to Evereth, Andreka and Quwayne for watching over me and making me laugh.

The beach is very small again just right for the size hotel. There is a huge drop off in the water not far from the shore so be careful.

Bonus: The resort has exchange privileges with Riu Montego Bay. You can go over there and use all their facilities. That is where the watersports, nightly show, disco, spa and loud party is and when you are done casually walk back to Riu Palace Jamaica for quiet time and top shelf drinks.

Overall: The resort is a gem and give it a month or so for all the small new kinks to worked out. Great ADULTS ONLY RESORT WITH A GREAT PRICE.

One last thing the resort is located across from 2 shopping areas and only 15 minutes (if that much) from the airport. A little bit out of Montego Bay. Approximately 17 minutes to Hip Strip and 20 from Downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
17  Thank dantravel
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I especially enjoyed bartender Shevroy, server D-wayne, Devon, & Florence. Without these individuals, the experience may not have been as great.

This place was an excellent resort, led by a wonderful staff. The food was superb, the beachfront view was outstanding, and all amenities provided were beyond great. What was so great about the Hotel Riu Palace that differed itself from it's sister resort, was that it was way more intimate and personable. The other may have had more people, but the staff here at Hotel Riu Palace made sure to go out of their way to learn my entire group's name and make us feel welcomed. They would cater to every single one of our needs, without complaint (as this seemed to be the entire trend for all the workers at the Palace). From cleaners/maids, to bellhops, maintenance, the front desk, servers, and especially bartenders; they all treated guests with the utmost respect. If I had to define my favorite part about the trip, it would be the people at Hotel Riu Palace. Everyone was constantly in a good mood, from staff to guests. Being around this brings out the best in one. I have to give a shout-out to a few workers. Florence, thank you so much for dealing with our problems in such a kind manner. You did your very best each day we saw you. Devon, keep up the great work. Morris & D-Wayne, you are exactly what every server in America should be like. If only we had more like you around here, the expectations for US servers wouldn't be so low. And biggest shoutout to my boy Shevroy. The kid is talented and is going to go far in life. He did everything he could to make the experience wonderful and he def left a mark on this vacation. They def need entertainment at Aqua. Unfortunately, they only had live music there one night. Had they provided more entertainment, this place would be rockin. With Shevroy's excellent bartending skills and music, many more guests will come. I look forward to coming back next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

This is simply the best hotel ever... The negative review down below ?? Those guests were complainers... Get a life ! The staff in this hotel as well as the food and drink were 1st class ! Amazing everything... The layout... The design... Everything ! Well done Riu !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Markcowen
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Arrived December 6 on opening day. Few minor problems but were all taken care of asap. We were upgraded to an ocean view room on the top floor. The staff was superior. We were unable to get reservations at any of the themed restaurants, however we thought the buffet was excellent, lots of choices. My cousin and I were there mostly for the sun and lounging around. We did not attend any of the shows that were next door, however we did make use of the spa facilities. We had a wonderful time and would not hesitate to return. Wish it could be next month!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy S
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We can't even start to list all the terrible things about this resort

Room was nice - one of the sinks leaked and created a puddle - we ended up turning the water off to keep our feet dry - advised desk didn't fix. Hair dryer didn't work. Finally got them to fix it so I could dry my hair before we left. Advertised specialty restaurants - but only opened one per night. Don't forget your alarm clock so you can get up early and TRY and make a reservation for the 1 restaurant that will be open that night. They will act like they are doing you a favor and try and get you a reservation next door - but it is for the most part the same stuff over and over again. There is nothing spectacular about the food, the drink, the staff or the resort itself. The steak house wasn't even an option during our stay.

Pay for top shelf liquior but they won't pour unless you specifically ask for it.

Don't plan on sleeping in either unless you can sleep through a jack hammer starting around 8.

We had a broken water pipe outisde our room one morning - 5:00 am - of course we only know what time it was because my husband had a watch on. No clock in the room. So loud, cleaning up from water pipe break my husband went out to ask them to quiet down.

Two computers in the lobby but only 1 worked. One was down three days in a row.

I'm reading the reviews and I can't believe these people stayed at the same resort we did. It is no where close to a 4 or 5 star resort. The food, the service, the resort itself were all merely okay. I wouldn't recommend this resort to my worst enemy. The management is the worst I have encountered. Personally, they didn't care if you liked it or not - they should all be fired. They have your money and you are stuck.

I have never written a review - so this is an indicator of how bad this place is. I honestly got tired of complaining. We walked to the bar to get a beverage more time than they came by on the beach. All moved in slow motion.

Oh and if beer is your drink of choice, you better like Red Stripe - because that's it.

No night life, no entertainment! Don't waste your money on this place. Take your travel dollars and go elsewhere.

There probably were no more than 100 people staying each day during our trip and still this was the type of service we received.

There were mojitos on the drink menu - but guess what no mint! I guess there are no stores in Jamaica! I don't get it. Disappointed beyond words!

We have traveled a great deal and have been to numerous all inclusives and this by far is the absolute worst experience we have ever had.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
29  Thank TDmarathon
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is an amazing hotel. Stayed during the opening week. Everything is nice fresh and clean. The staff is amazing. The rooms are absolutely the best on the island. This is a most stay for everyone visiting Jamaica. Food is good. Every thing is iris. Like the saying goes Once you go- you will know. Give it try!!! You would be disappointed

Room Tip: Stayed in room 2050 . Absolutely gorgeous