“Best vacation Ever!!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Best vacation Ever!!!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is the first review I have made for a hotel...the service here is a 6 star to me. Rooms were ultra modern with a Jacuzzi in the middle of the room. In room bar is excellent and this has to be one of the cleanest hotels I have been to.
Service was excellent to the highest level....the wait staff is nothing but first class.

The service by far exceeds any expectations I could imagine. The pools were great with daily activites like volleyball, aerobics... although the beach is small it is actually very cosy with little waves.

Enterntainment next door is first class. the Micheal Jackson show is the best I have seen.....rivals shows in Vegas.. no kidding. The sister property next door is a different story but caters to a different clientel.

This was the best vacation and place I have stayed. Will make this an annual trip. There are no negatives to this place.. anyone that says otherwise should stay home. The food was magnificient. Everything you could imagine was there. Like I said. it does not get any better.

Room Tip: Don't pay for sea side view... get the courtside view... it is excellent
3 Thank KV A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lawrence, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I went to this resort for our 12th anniversary and we had a great time. We also got a room update complimentary of the resort. Is great for couples since is an all adult hotel. Rooms were always nice and clean. We hardly used the ac in our room because the rooms were always nice and cool. The food was amazing as well. The only thing is that if you like a bigger resort this one is not the right one for you because if fairly small but enough. Overall it was a perfect vacation and the staff was also great. Loved it and will be going back soon.

Room Tip: Is defiantly worth the upgrade we got courtyard pool view and it was amazing it motivates you to wak...
2 Thank Judy M
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just came back with my wife for a week stay beautiful new Resort food was very GOOD hats off to the chef respect and thanks to Kagelia Spence for being a professional and a grate manager( restaurant & bar) job well done you guys are the BEST keep up the good work will be back soon

Room Tip: any ocean front suit
1 Thank Andres357
Providence, ri
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Before I get to my negative points, I want to first compliment (all of) the staff for their excellent service, our entire stay. My wife and I have been to many Riu properties in Jamaica, DR, and Mexico, along with other resorts, and this hotel had the best service by far. From the reception area, bars, restaurants, to name a few, we were treated very well. Now to my honest review. First of all this is not a 4or5 star hotel. Lets cut to the chase. The food was a 2 at best. I got to become friends with the head chef-at the time, Mr. Big Spoon and will not put the blame on him, but both of us found the meals disappointing. I want to emphasize that the main problems were with dinner. Now the beach. To be honest, there was no beach. There was maybe thirty, forty yards between rocks that was called a beach. If you wanted to lay out on the beach, you were better off going next door to the Riu Montego Bay, it's sister property. Now the rooms. Though the rooms were identical with the other Riu's in Mexico and DR, they were smaller. We were given a different room with a better view, after I saw the first one we were given, but again, much smaller. The two pools for the property were small and as I have stated in my other reviews, when I see people hang out at the pool bar and never get out, to use the bathroom, I avoid that pool. I can't speak for the night life at the resort, because there wasn't much of it. If you wanted to see any shows you had to again, go next door. This is where my main problems were. My wife and I stayed at the Riu Montego Bay a few years ago and did not like it at all. For some reason this hotel caters to kids from very young to older teens, who seem to run amuck throughout the hotel. A lot of times these kids are drunk and without parental supervision. Lastly, the so-called "fitness center" was smaller than our room. don't waste your time going there, unless it's at odd hours. Once again, I walked over to the other property and used their gym. So, in conclusion, although I made a lot of friends with bartenders, waiters and other staff, we will not be returning to this hotel. Before I forget, the transfer company SWA vacations used-JTL Tours were either bad or laughable. Although the airport is only ten minutes away (no joke), we were picked up to leave before 12:30 for a 3:30 flight. We did an excursion to Negril that was a WASTE of $80. 1) A LONG bus ride to JB Margueritaville, where we sat out, in the rain, on another small beach. Here the locals harassed you to death over everything. 2) We were taken to a shopping area, which was mostly closed (Sunday), to once again get gouged. 3) We ended the day, in the rain, at Rick's Café, to watch the sunset and once again, pay very high prices for everything. Here, we watched young boys risk there lives jumping off cliffs. Did I mention that it was raining the whole time, so you could imagine the sunset. Well, there you have it. One more thing. Be very aware of mosquitoes, day and night. It gets so bad at the Aqua bar, pool bar, on your balcony, and at the other resort that they have to "spray bomb" both places, at least once a week.

Room Tip: Get a room on the two top floors. Better views and less noise.
3 Thank cardinal
Staffordshire
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous week at the Riu Palace in Jamaica. This is an adults only, boutique style hotel situated 10 minutes from the airport. It was great to be sat on the beach within an hour of landing.

The hotel is barely six months old and so as you would expect, everything about the place is pristine. We had a jacuzzi suite overlooking the sea and would recommend one of these rooms, just make sure it is not over the Hanover Bar, otherwise, for two nights a week you may be kept awake by the music. It is not excessively loud, but if you prefer early nights it might be an issue for you.

The rooms are excellent with all the facilities you would expect such as king size bed, bath with hydromassage, walk in shower room, wide screen TV, wifi and mini bar that is replenished daily. The room was spotlessly clean and fresh linen provided every day as well as a turn down service and towel replacement in the evening.

There is a choice of five restaurants, three a la carte, a steak house and the buffet restaurant. Formal attire is required and enforced in the a la carte restaurants, we saw a number of people turned away because they were wearing shorts. It is less restrictive in the buffet and steak house, however, there were still guests turned away for wearing vest tops. It makes a pleasant change to see these types of standards in place and adhered to. The food in the restaurants we tried was of a very good standard, however, the steak house is very popular and can often mean an hour’s wait for a table. We tried it once but it wasn’t great enough for us to try it a second time and endure the wait. I would also recommend the jerk chicken shack for lunch at the adjacent hotel, which you are allowed to use during the day. Outside of the chicken shack, I’d avoid next door!!!

The outdoor area is excellent with plenty of sun loungers around both pools and on the beach. There is no dawn rush to reserve sun loungers. If you want a more sedate time then it is better to avoid the pool with the bar attached. It can get a little loud around the bar area so we tended to use the other pool and the excellent waiter service.

Others have commented on the beach, the sand does seem man made and can be a little rocky and sharp under foot as you walk to the sea. It’s certainly not the type of Caribbean sand we’ve come to expect. That may be why the sea is a little cloudy too.

The biggest plus point of this hotel is the staff. They cannot do enough for you and their manners and grammar are impeccable. This may also seem quite a trivial point to you, but one thing that stood out for me was the dress code for the staff, especially their shoes. Every single member of staff had spotlessly clean shoes, and as the old saying goes, you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. It also highlights the standards of the hotel. I would like to give a special mention to Osborn and Obrian who looked after us so well in the restaurant during our stay.

On the downside, there is not too much to say. The entertainments team try to encourage your involvement in the daily activities, but I would have thought that in an adults only hotel there would not really be the need for this. The vast majority of people seem to only want to relax and chill out. Also, sometimes the daytime music can be a little loud, again, not conducive to chilling out. Other than that there were no other issues.

From a weather point of view, we checked out the forecasts before we flew out and if they were to be believed, it was dark cloud, thunderstorms and heavy rain every day. Nothing could be further from the truth. There was some occasional cloud late in the afternoon with a few spots of rain but otherwise it was 30 degree+ heat and sunshine all the way. Ignore the forecasts, we nearly changed our destination on the back of them, I’m so glad we didn’t.

Overall, I think that this is a great hotel, if you are looking for a bustling vibrant party type hotel, this place may not be for you. But if you are looking for a modern, well run hotel with good facilities, good food and excellent staff, look no further than the Riu Palace Montego Bay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try and avoid the rooms over the Hanover Bar
9 Thank SteveOStaffordshire
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The service was fantastic ,The room was Beautiful . I love the fact that it was so close to the airport,The Palace was so clean ,They have a great Breakfast buffet and Lunch ,I loved the Jerk Pork and Cheeseburgers ,The booze was Top Shelf not local lables .I been to many other islands and loved the way I was treated there everyone seemed to go out of their way from " J " at the towel shack to Clive serving drinks by the pool and beach ,My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time , I stayed there 7 nights and 8 days May 7th to the 14th and we really enjoyed ourselves until the 6th day as I left the ocean which I love very much and proceeded to wash off at the shower where the beach ends and the pool starts I WAS KNOCKED TO MY KNEES !!,as I turned on the shower the top part flew 4 feet into the air came down and hit me in the head knocking me to my knees as you can imagine i saw stars ! Needless to say I was in pain,dizzy and suffered my last 3 days ,I received a lot of attention from " J " to the PRODUCTION MANAGER ,I was given 2 asprin and was told if I needed lunch they would send it to my room ,well I did pay for 24 hour room service ,LOL !! They suggested I go to the hospital but wanted me to PAY for it !!! I think they could have gone out of their way as far as my injury ,IT WAS THEIR FAULT ! I would love to return there and have a better time , IF INVITED !
I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD FROM RIU MAIN OFFICE AS OF YET AND WILL KEEP MY FELLOW TRAVELERS HOW I MAKE OUT ...

6 Thank frank g
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2014

So relaxing... Can't wait to go back! Returned from a great, relaxing and long weekend in Montego Bay and all we wanted was to stay a couple more days.

Food - We have been to all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and the food is always mediocre but we were nicely surprised with the options and food quality at the RIU Palace. The breakfast and lunch buffet were very good and the dinner in all the restaurants was great. Gentleman just remember that you need long pants for entrance in some of the restaurants for dinner.

Facilities - The hotel was just recently built so all the facilities are in great condition. The decor is modern and contemporary. There are two pools, plenty of lounge chairs and loved that they clean the sand every morning so it is perfect and white. The hammocks by the restaurant are great! This hotel was perfect because you are able to go to the RIU property next door for shows and other variety restaurants but the guests on that side are not allowed to come to this side. Therefore, the service and grounds are better maintained and much less crowded.

The only thing, which could be both a positive and negative, is that it is very close to the airport. The good part is that you go to/from in two minutes but the bad part is that there are planes flying over all the time. You get used to the noise but still.

Another point to consider is that there is a shopping center across the street, so you can walk over for some souvenir shopping and other things. There is no need to pay for a taxi driver to take you across the street. Remember that all prices are negotiable!!

Room - There are only few rooms with Ocean View so we were in a room facing the pools and center courtyard with a partial view of the ocean. Everything is perfectly clean and new. The bed was very comfortable and there is a sofa bed that fits two others. The bathroom has his/her sink and a large shower. The entire room has a very nice open concept.

Since we were there to relax and disconnect from the world, we only did one excursion to the Dunes River Falls. Had a great time! Make sure you bring water shoes and a water proof camera because there are many great spots to take pictures.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica? Share your experiences!