“Fabulous Vacation!”

Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Athens, Alabama
“Fabulous Vacation!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I chose the Adults Only Riu Palace Jamaica for our 10th anniversary. The hotel is a short 5-10 minute ride from the airport. Upon arrival, we were blown away by the Palace and the staff that works there. The lobby is magnificent, as is the style and design of the entire hotel. Kareth at the front desk welcomed us with a friendly greeting and got us checked in very quickly. She also provided maps of the hotel facilities and a schedule of events. Our room was nice and extremely clean. We had no issues or problems with our room at all, and the shower was great.

We certainly did not lack for food during our stay. The main buffet was always really good for dinner the nights we did not go to the Steakhouse. For lunch they had a large buffet inside and then even more options outside including some awesome jerk chicken.
All of the waiters were awesome, we had Romiero at the Steakhouse and Jason more than once at the main restaurant. They took good care of us and made sure we had everything we needed. Also should mention my man Clive on the beach, he came up with a nickname for me early in the week that he stuck with throughout our stay. The entertainment team were all great. Lorenzo, Lisa, and Fun Fun, among others kept us involved in various activities during the day and some at night.

Another neat benefit of staying at the Palace was being able to go to the bigger Riu property next door any time and take advantage of the additional food options and to see the shows at night. We went over at lunch to get the jerk chicken at the hut on the beach, and it was very good. The shows later at night were also pretty entertaining.

I would, without a doubt, return to the Palace in the future and I hope that happens sooner than later!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 256wm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Got here July 16 had a blast every night and day fun was great food was good I highly recommend this place. The rooms look exactly what u see on the internet. And Richard the bartender was great. And my boy his name is FUN FUN. LOOK HIM UP IF YOU COME THIS WAY.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gershom J
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at that palace from the Friday 27th of June for 2 weeks.
Right from the start of our stay we was treated like royalty! As we entered the absolutely gorgeous lobby we was greeted with a glass of champagne and a big friendly welcome from a Abraham the porter and Ricardo the receptionist, we knew we had made the right choice for our holiday after having a bad experience in Mexico the previous year!
We was told to leave our luggage and not worry about it as we was now on holiday, so we went to our room which was out of this world we was on the 3rd floor which I like. The room was a really good size, spotless and was beautiful decorated so to my liking! Open plan bathroom with a jacuzzi bath a huge king size bed. We opened our balcony door and I was totally blown away with the view!! We was looking over the pool and sea amazing!! Abraham was soon to be there with our luggage, he gave us a little tour of our room showed us how to work the jacuzzi and most importantly showed the mini bar which was filled with beer soft drinks and water and on the wall was 4 optics brandy, vodka, whiskey, Appleton rum. My husband had asked Ricardo when checking in if they was red stripe in the room and he said I can sort that for you, true to his word 3 bottles of red stripe came to the room from room service.
Don't understand why people on here are moaning about the alcohol not been branded, the bars have the brands you just have to state what brand you want or you'll get the local alcohol.
Breakfast and lunch is served at buffet and is truly amazing with lots of choice. At home I always skip breakfast but I think I only missed breakfast once in the whole 2 weeks!! The omelettes were amazing and freshly made with your choice of fillings. Ryan and Richard made each morning for us special and then again at lunch they are 2 amazing guys that we now call friends nothing was to much trouble and we loved talking to them.
We spent most of our time around the pool relaxing and soaking up the sun (well I did!) the pool we sat around had a swim up bar and was the main pool for entertainment which I loved watching!!
A big shout out to the entertainment team especially fun fun such a top guy again another friend we have made!! They all do an amazing job at keeping everyone entertained even if your not one to join in they'll come and chat to you to see how your doing. Shout out also to Barbie,Lisa,Rory and Lorenzo all fab guys!
The bar staff around the pool were also amazing couldn't do enough for you especially omaine he looked after us for our stay we didn't have to ask or move for our drinks he would bring them straight to us once he knew what we liked they're was also a lady that was ace to but didn't get her name.
At the evening we'd spend most of our time chilling in the vogue bar with the main man Fabian! The bar is gorgeous and air conditioned. Fabian made the best cocktails! And the list of martinis is endless again they are the best!! The bar had singers and musicians on every night which were really good. The main entertainment was at the aqua bar with the entertainment team, each night was different with a white party, beach party which had the steel band then a live singer, retro party, karaoke. On the chilled nights they was a movie on the beach.
The 2 restaurants we tried were beautiful one thing I will say is they need background music, we only managed to try the steakhouse which you need to be there early and Krystal due to eating at the buffet most nights which I need to mention Jason and Sanjay made our night each night!!!
We had the most amazing time and the palace is definately worth everyone of its 5 stars!! What I will say is we didn't spend much time at the sister hotel apart from watching Michael Jackson show and going to the jerk chicken hut apart from that they're is no need to go there at all!!
We will definately be returning to the riu palace!!!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Danielle W
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd stay at a Riu chain, the 1st being the Riu Palace Bavaro in Punta Cana. I must say this trip to Jamaica and my stay at the Riu was the best vacation I ever had. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable. If you are looking for adults only this is the place. Separated by a bridge from the Riu Montego Bay (the family resort), you can still wander to that side for the nightly talent shows, and events,and the jerk chicken hut, but the folks from the family side cant can't come over to the
adult side. The food is great, offering a wide variety weather its at the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants. Im not sure when I will be going back to Jamaica, but I won't think of staying anywhere but the Riu Palace Montego Bay.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Lisa W
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Went to Jamaica for 5 days at the beginning of June. Very quaint chic hotel. Tub is literally in the room beside the bed. So not really any privacy. Otherwise, the food was the best I have had at any all inclusive resort. The staff was delightful and addressed us personally by name. Definitely would visit another RIU property! Had a great time!

Room Tip: Hotel is shaped in a "U", there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle D
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is our 7th year of vacationing in Jamaica and our first year at the Riu Hotel chain. I will start off with what we liked and then delve into what we feel needs improvement.

The Good

The resort is close to the airport so it is a quick ride from the airport as opposed to the hour plus it usually takes to get to Negril.

The hotel and rooms are very modern looking and kept very clean which is great!

Audley (sp) the server from the morning and afternoon buffet restaurant was great and deserves special recognition for his up beat attitude and all around happy demeanor.

Richard the bartender from the swimup bar was also great and very friendly!

The Average

The beach...My wife and I are indeed beach snobs and are just pampered by the sandy white beaches and crystal clear water we normally see in Negril. The beach at the resort was rocky and the water was as clear as mud. If I want to see water like that ill go to Lake Lanier. It is also very short so dont expect taking long strolls unless you go to the other hotel next door.

The food....We read in many of the tripadvisor comments that the food was exceptional but we found it to be very average. Ill be the first to tell you that I am not a food snob by any means but we have been to other All inclusives and the food was much better in those places.

The Steakhouse - First off...they have a very limited seating space and it is first come first serve. This restaurant really should be by reservation since they have limited space. The food presentation was great but it fails when it comes to taste. The Surf and Turf should change its name to small and tough. The Steak was not juicy but tough and needed alot of A1 sauce which I never normally use since a steak should really stand on its own. The Lobster was overdone/dry and very small (4 bites max). My wife ddid enjoy the ribs though and our friend also enjoyed the chicken so if you do go I would recommend trying those. Also the Steakhouse is held outside so it can get very humid so wear light clothing.

Zen - Asian restaurant was decent but for some reason didnt have alot of flavor. I got the fish which was tasty but was the size of two sushi rolls so I was a bit hungry after the fact. My wife had the Beef with noodles and it was decent but very greasy as it is served on a skillet. The dessert was pretty good but who doesnt like fried ice cream...lol

Montego Bay - The buffet restaurant was where we did eat most nights as they had a decent selection of foods each night. It would be nice if they changed around the menu in the buffet a little as you found many of the same dinner items in the same place night after night. Still...as many of the previous posters on this site have mentioned it was the best of the choices we had available to us.

Krystal and Italian Restaurants - The schedule they gave us wasnt correct so the night we chose to go to either they were closed. The hotel rotates all of the restaurants except the buffet for being open and close.

The Drinks
The drinks are GREAT! BUT....they have a limited selection and you have to ask for triple shots of anything you want mixed to actually taste the alcohol. Also..if you want top shelf than ask for it by name or you will get the cheapo liquor. Im not a big drinker but when you have to triple shot anything to taste the liquor then it becomes a bit annoying.

The Activities
So this is where it gets annoying...To do any of the watersports you have to go to the Riu Hotel next door and essentially get harrased to tip them for providing the watersports of your choice. The gym in the hotel is slightly larger than a broom closet so you will have to again go to the other hotel and even then youll have to fight for a cardio machine as out of the 6 that were there 3 were broken.

The Entertainment Staff
This is where the resort really lacks in experience. My suggestion would be to bring in some veterans of their Negril hotel to get the hotel going. The staff was friendly enough but they tried to cram all of the entertainment and games into two hours (10-12)and then disappear for the remainder of the day or not even make an appearance at all. This is an "Adults Only" resort so have fun with the people and hang out. Also....pool music was very annopying! I couldnt tell if it was a reggae cd or a music station but it would repeat the same songs for 4-5 hours straight. NOT COOL!

Smiles
This is a thing or rarity among the staff as many have their heads down or just plain dont look happy. A smile on a face makes you feel welcome and frown makes you feel like a burden.

This is the first time I have ever posted on TripAdvisor but I felt a need this time around. The hotel has great potential and I am sure as time passes it will be right up there with the big dogs but it needs time.

Room Tip: The Wifi is very spotty.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Samuel T
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a great time at the Riu Palace Jamaica. When we arrived we found out our ocean front room had only a king sized bed in it, instead of the double beds we requested. But the bed was very roomy and that was the only complaint we had. The food was excellent and the service superb. We really liked the swim up bar and our bartender Richard took excellent care of us. We stayed in the adults only part of this huge resort and I am glad we made that choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica? Share your experiences!