“It was FUNFUN!!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Magical experience. We were greeted by champaign at the front desk!!!! After getting to our awesome good smelling super clean rooms, we went for a dip in the ocean. After that we hit the pool. Unforgettable service. But one thing that stood out was this one guy in a red and white uniform. His name is "FUNFUN". Now this guy was as humble as he was fun. He approached us and invited us to join the pool games. For the rest of the week he treated us with respect and gave us awesome tips for the resort and outside. Always making sure that we were safe. On Thursday night he joined us and gave a few in our group the courage to sing karaoke. Man is this guy awesome. I would 100% recommend hanging with him while there. I hope I see him when I go back. Thanks Andre. And all the riu and riu palace staff.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank ONETIME89
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Odd start to a 5-Star review but overall this entire trip and hotel was excellent. Having stayed at other Riu Palace properties before, this resort was not at all what I expected and did take the first day or so to adjust. This is more of a small boutique hotel however still a very very nice place.

For both work and play, I travel extensively. I have made numerous trips to RIUs and their immediately competing properties such as all-inclusive Iberostar and Barcelos. While not seeming at all like a true RIU Palace this was easily one of the best.

I really could go on and on but do not want to just ramble. The short and sweet is this property offers a touch of everything you might want in a quieter adults only resort but also immediate next door access to a much larger sister property. I probably spent more time next door but it was great to be able to come back to a more peaceful and upscale setting anytime. The neighboring RIU was great as well and really felt like one big resort with a private section reserved for me on the side.

Airport - VERY close by. It took longer to get in the bus than to drive to the property. The mentions of air traffic is true but never bothered me. Most would toast to the plane and you started to not even realize it the few times a day it happened.Quick transport to and from out weighs an occasional flight noise.

Check-in & Rooms - Fast and easy check-in with room ready early. My luggage had not arrived with me but they took care of handling it for me. Room was spotless and brand new. Identical to the new RIU Palace in Cancun. Never had an issue with rooms being cleaned, towels, etc.

Food & Drink - Food did not dazzle me but was indeed above average. Honestly I would have been fine eating on the beach at the jerk chicken hut everyday. That was amazing! Drinks at the adults only side are a notch above next door. A nearby local jerk smokehouse is worth the short drive and was my best meal of the trip. Sadly Ive forgotten the name but very safe for tourist.

Entertainment & Staff - VERY good. Even though a smaller adults only property, they made it a point to talk with you and invite you to participate. Never once pressured to play a game but the made aware of what was going on. The adults only side had lower key entertainment but was still great with a beach party and softer music. The entertainment on the other side was MUCH larger. Huge covered and outdoor stages with really entertaining shows. Staff very friendly and knew my name every day.

Beaches - Very nice beach. The adults only side has a VERY small beach but you have full access to cross over and walk the maybe mile long beach on the other RIU. Never hassled to buy anything from beach vendors. Lots of chairs, never an issue to find a place to lounge.

Excursions - Staying in Montego Bay keeps you in the center of it all with more options. A day trip to Ocho Rios or Negril is very much worth it. A night trip to the Luminous Lagoon was very different and not expensive. Lots to do around the resort if you dont want to leave the property.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I would definitely recommend this property and stay here again. It was worth the money to spend a little more and stay at the adults only side while having full access to more action next door.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
22  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I just returned from a trip with the bf. The location is good. It's a little outside of the city of Montego bay in a place called Ironshore. Really close to the airport ( you hear occasional planes but not overly bothersome) . If you take a local taxi expect to pay around $20 US. They do not have an airport shuttle. My advise is to get a local driver- We used- Ja Trad Tours ( excellent- Dale was funny, informative and we felt completely safe- www.ja-trad.com )
So the hotel is in a pair- the family side and the adults only side. We stayed in the Palace( the adults only). Relaxing- atmosphere. Beach is fairly limited on this side- but can go over which is just a simple walk to the other side and participate in water sports at a larger beach. The otherside was loud and exciting if that's what you want.
The rooms were going for modern- white with pops of purple. We were ocean front just above the aqua chill bar. A little loud at night but view was great.
Food was adequate. We ate at the buffet which had alot of options- not all were appetizing. The other side had jerk chicken and tastier options- we did that once. We also did the italian once-it was ok. We ate too late- the specialty restaurants shut down at 9 pm. breakfast had good options. Alcohol flowed freely.
Overall trip was great, but probably would not go to RIU again. Pools and beach are off limits after 7??? what was that about. The security took their job very seriously- kicked us out the beach and the pool. I went to a bar to grab some drinks from the pool. Asked to leave because I was wet ( everyone is wet), i was standing . But they were nice enough to get my order and bring drink to the beach. Some of the servers looked bothered.
Standouts for us were- Julian front desk- Clive ( drinks), Nadine ( restaurant) were all great.

2  Thank HKnewbie2
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Paradise made by beautiful friendly people.This hotel matches other top 5 star hotels we have visited throughout the world, with excellent accommodation, themed restaurants and service. Special thanks to Laura, FunFun, Audley, Sanjay, Kerene and Errol who's service was first class.We enjoyed several excursions visiting Dunn's River Falls by catamaran, Martha Brae river rafting, shopping at Rose Hall and Montego Bay which were all great days out and worth the money..To say Hello is 'Wa Gwaan' or for younger dudes touch palms, slide and link fingers before flicking thumbs, saying 'Y PREE' to become hip and cool. It really made them smile as I am 62 and English. To say goodbye it's ' see ya latar' although you will not want to leave this fabulous island but remember to take a high factor sun screen (30+) as the sun always shines it's no wonder everyone is so happy. Plus it is Ideal for anyone disabled or with walking problems with slopes everywhere, even into the pool that is only 4 feet deep with seats and beds to keep cool. Only a fool would find fault so we will definitely return 'No Problem Mon'.

Room Tip: Given free upgrade to 2050 due to my knee problem this overlooked the center and restaurants,but the...
4  Thank steve_bamford
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having stayed at the Riu Palace in Aruba, I had expected a lot more from this resort.
The entrance makes you feel like you're arriving at any generic Hilton in a business district, it definitely doesn't have a "Palace" feel at all. However, this hotel is part of the new more modern design that Riu's seem to be adopting.

Overall the property is very small, and it feels like it was shoved into a spare piece of land from the giant Riu next door. The beach is small and is bordered on both sides by man made rock jettys. The water also drops off very suddenly (which they warn you about with a sign on the beach) The pools are also small, and lacking a hot tub of any kind, but have the requisite swim up bar.
One thing that was annoying was the pool opened at 8:00 am, and while the bartender was there setting up (scheduled to open at 10:00 am) they refused to give you anything even water. The 24 hour bar is close by, but they have clear signs stating "No wet clothing". So bring your mini-bar drinks with you until everything is opened.

The food is pretty generic as expected at an All-Inclusive. But their own local foods were really great and what I focused on.

Most of the staff were welcoming, helpful and always had a warm smile. However there were some who seemed to be miserable, which kind of ruins the vacation spirit.

Rooms are large, with a seating area and balcony, but unfortunately ours overlooked the overgrown bushes of the property next door. Room was 1055. Bathroom was nice and modern, but at only 7 months old, there was already water damage on the ceiling and the faucet from the tub seems to have been leaking for months.

The crowd ranged from older European couples to young local couples. I'm sure the ones there doing most of the partying were there for Reggae Sumfest.

I'm a huge fan of Jamaica, and was disappointed this resort was my boyfriend's first exposure to such a beautiful country. I wouldn't return to this resort, but will definitely go back to Jamaica.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the outside rooms, instead ask for those facing the courtyard/pool areas.
3  Thank Wandy712
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a great time. Super close to the airport- 15-20 min cab ride. Hotel was very modern. Greeted at the receptionist desk with a glass champagne. Wi Fi very shotty in the rooms but definitely a signal in the lobby and it's included.

Rooms were ok. Probably could use some minor touch ups. Bed comfy. Reminded me of miami hotels, modern, boutique feel. Open bathroom plan, meaning the toilet was enclosed in small room, but the 2 sinks and tubs out in the open. Standup shower was nice. Everything in the fridge is free. They have some alcohol bottles in the room also included (brands were unknown to me).

Restaurants were delicious. There may have been 2 in which you had to have pants and shirt on if you were a man- MANDATORY. The food was pretty good though. No complaints.

Drinks were everywhere :) There was one pool bar. Swim up to the bar. Drinks were good. If you wanted top shelf liquor you had to ask. The Bob Marley was mostly what we imbibed.

They have outdoor activities. Aerobics, Darts, cute games in which they need audience participation.

The beach is right at your feet. Pretty clean. You can use the other Riu's water sports equipment of you want, it is right next door.

4  Thank TimberlyBokker
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great resort and staff. Staff always willing to assist. Food was great, with a wide selection at the buffet. Specialty restaurants were great, but be sure you are there early if you want to eat at the steak house. Can take advantage of next door activities/shows at the family Riu hotel next door. and return to the quiet at the Palace. Hotel assists with obtaining transportation to other locations/excursions during your stay, with most tour/excursion group leaders ready to assist you in the lobbies of both Riu hotels. Pools do close at 8pm, but we were told that you could indeed re-enter that evening if we wished (nobody does). You do hear the planes flying overhead due to being close to the airport, and it is even more noticeable if you experience the occasional shower (rain lasted 5 mins during our stay). Overall it was a great trip and even greater hotel.

7  Thank Key_34