“Perfection, except...”

Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I traveled with a group of friends to Montego Bay for the Reggae Sumfest. We stayed at this resort from July 14th to July 19th. A year ago, we traveled to Punta Cana and stayed at the Riu Palace Punta Cana. We had a great time, but the resort was underwhelming. We weren't planning to stay at another Riu in Jamaica, but when we saw that this was a newer resort and completely different in style from the usual Riu resorts, we decided to go with Riu again. Our choice was a great one. The property was beautiful, well-maintained. Every staff member was hospitable and courteous.The best part of the resort: the FOOD. My wife and I only ate at the buffet. The resort has private dining options and our friends tried a couple of the restaurants, but they all remarked that the buffet had the best food, hands down. Every day they had Jamaican dishes available, and they also had food us Americans are use to eating. My wife especially loved the fruit because of how fresh it was.

What keeps me from giving this property a 5-star rating, though, is the beach. THE BEACH!!! I knew beforehand, from reading Tripadvisor reviews, that the beach would be disappointing. The reviews were spot on. If you are a true beach lover, you won't like staying at this resort. I think that if I didn't already have plans made for the trip, my vacation would have been a lot more disheartening. The beach is man-made (though they do a great job cleaning the seaweed from the beach floor) and small, less than the size of a football field. If you do stay here, make plans to go to Doctors Cave Beach in MoBay or plan a day trip (with Joe Cool Taxi) to Negril and visit Seven Mile Beach.

To recap,

PROS: Beautiful resort; the FOOD and drinks; staff (MoMo, Oral, Lorenzo, Jason, Romero, Lisa Hype, the professional photographer, lobby staff, cleaning staff); Caribic Vacations (located on the sister RIU resort next door and probably has the best prices for a catamaran cruise in MoBay)

CONS: Small beach, room service food options were depressing

PS: best drinks - Bob Marley (with an extra shot of rum) and Jamaican (Miami) Vice

Room Tip: No tips for choosing a good room. But you definitely want to ask for a true queen or king bed becaus...
4  Thank cheekydemeanor
Write a ReviewReviews (2,436)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This trip was a celebratory "Girls Trip" with 16 professional women. We had a great time, however, the resort is geared more towards couples it seems. We were told on 2 consecutive nights that we needed to be quieter, although we were not excessively loud. The first night the security patrol told us that if we wanted to continue to "party" we should move from the lobby bar to the 24hr beach bar. We moved down to the beach and a differnt security officer came over and told us to keep it down because there are guest rooms above the bar. He was quite rude and was basing his request on the fact that guests MIGHT complain, they had not even received any complaints! You could hear the bar music over the noise that we were making. Not the place to go if you are looking to party after 10pm.
The food was pretty good. Lots of variety.
The bathtub is in the middle of the room, so if you aren't going as a couple, just be aware.

Room Tip: Wifi is better in the lobby than in rooms
1  Thank Courtney G
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I had such an awesome time there. Great food! Great service! Great time! I can't wait to go back. Literally everything you need or want is at the hotel. The workers are so friendly my favorites. were Romario, Lorenzo and carlington. Btw you have to check out Lorenzo fitness classes kept me in shape while pigging out. Romario definitely added to my experience with his funny jokes and answering all my questions about the jamacian culture.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yolanda M
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The staff was so professional and loving!!! For whatever reason when we arrived, my reservations wasn't in the system; an error on my travel agent part. I was freaking out but the manager was really nice. He had me to email him the reservation confirmation & stated he would take care of it from there & put us in an awesome oceanfront room( 3038). The room with a nice size & cleaned & up to date. That is the main reason i chose this hotel. The other hotel rooms in Jamaica looked outdated to me. When I told them it was my birthday, they kept meeting with my guy. They did so many nice things for me, to make a girl feel really special on her day. When we arrived, they had someone in lobby to help you book your excursions. We did Dunns river fall & horseback riding. Both were really fun& great. On our way to the fall we really got to see and learn different things about their culture and see so that was a really interesting. Okayback to this amazing resort, Saturday night they had a movie by the pool really nice and relaxing, Sunday they had and all white party, THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!! After the party, it was the after party next door at the club. MONDAY night, they had the beach party. This was a lot of Jamaican dancing and them teaching you how to dance & move your body like them. THEY CAN REALLY DANCE. I'm not sure if this is the normal schedule for these parties or if they change the days up because we didn't get a schedule of any of this stuff it was just kind of word of mouth. But the entertainment crew truly keep you entertained the whole time you're there. They were the best ever. I would most definitely stay here again and again and again ,I loved it so much. And the food& servers were so nice !!!!I had the best birthday ever!!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tee l
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I cannot stop bragging about this resort to all of my family and friends. I have never received such great service from an all=inclusive before. The staff are absolutely wonderful and they know how to make you feel like royalty. The resort is small but it is not over-crowded. The food was delicious and the snack bar is the best at this resort. They offer 24 hour room service and the Disco played great music. I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Jamaica. The great part is it is close to the airport and being in a main city allows you to travel a bit more outside of the resort.

Room Tip: I do not think you could go wrong with your room selection. Maybe try to avoid having a room on top...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tarisha S
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed July 26 - August 2, could not have asked for better weather. The staff at this resort are second to none, you never went without being asked if you were okay, or if you needed anything.

The grounds are super clean, no garbage is ever left for more than a minute or two, and there were no dirty bugs or raunchy insects roaming around. I think they also spray for mosquitoes, because I usually get destroyed by bugs, yet this time I wasn't bitten once, and did not even use any of the bug spray that I brought.

The pools were very clean, and never crowded, you can always find ample chairs to sit or lounge on (I was with 4 other people, and we never had an issue finding chairs all together, no matter the time of day). Pool bar is well stocked, if you want top shelf liquor, just ask!

ENT staff are really good, and try to get all the guests involved, but are not too pushy. Thanks to Jo-Jo and MoMo for always being on point!

Bar and Wait staff are the real gems of this place, as they were always smiling and happy to assist, huge thanks to Danian (Capital "D"), Christopher (the late night psychiatrist lol), Avian, Candy, Oral, Romairo, Natalie, Neville, Ricardo, and all the others who went more than above and beyond, to make every guest feel welcome. I want to single out Nadine at the main buffet though, as she was almost motherly to us, and made a point to ensure we were having a good time, and ensured we were staying properly hydrated :)

The food quality was top notch, always plenty of selections at the Buffet, I didn't even go to any of the a la cartes, as I they are not my thing and I didn't feel the need. Try the sirloin burger at the Aqua lounge, that was really good (not to mention all the Jamaican food at the buffet).

This is the best All Inclusive I have been to, and would definitely go back.

On a side note - if you are traveling with Sun Wing airlines, be prepared for really long and annoying travel days. They really don't have their stuff together when it comes to timely or organized service, and that's even with paying the extra for Elite Plus. Our trip back to the airport from the resort was a nightmare. It is a 10 minute drive, but took us over a half hour because of an unexpected pickup of over 50 people from the neighbouring Riu (which included a lot of screaming kids). Nothing against kids, but when you pay extra to go to an adults only, you should at least get a heads up that the airport transfer on the way home is going to be a trying one (we would have gladly taken a cab if we had known). Plus, the plane was way late to board (both ways), so there were many restless kids getting really cranky at the airport (understandable). Sun Wing needs to get that part together, but I can't fault the Riu Palace for that.

All in all a great trip, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Room Tip: Room 1059 is right overlooking the Ocean
6  Thank Big Mike M
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is my husband and I first time staying at the hotel and although I am Jamaican I haven't been back for over 10 years and this is my husbands first time visiting Jamaica so I wanted his to have an awesome mind blowing experience and so far it has been exceptional . The 5 star world class service here at the rui palace blew us away from the time we walked in and greeted with 2 glasses of champagne. and our check in person taneisha was so delightful and waiter Neville--awesome and not to mention hostess mellisa--world class service--she went above and beyond. and the white table exective buffet with all the Jamaican and international variety food is exception--just superb---just over the top. and the entertainment here is awesome too. will stay here again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple