“Great trip to Oasis at Sunset”

and 1 more site!
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Kitchener, Canada
“Great trip to Oasis at Sunset”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just returned from an awesome week in Jamaica at this resort. This is my fourth time to Jamaica and my first time to the Oasis at Sunset.
Some things to note:
- the Sunset hotel, adjoined, is aptly named. We watched some great sunsets there so remember to pop over and get a great seat for the view
- the Oasis 'section' made the trip for us. When I go on vacation to a resort one of the things I find most annoying is worrying about where to eat and 'did we make reservations in time' or 'do we have to line up for an hour' etc. There was none of this worry for us. Since we were at the Oasis we were entitled to eat at their main restaurant and we were able to get a table (our favourite one for six of us) each evening at 6:30 and each morning for breakfast at around 8am. I will say that the food does take a while - I called it 'slow-asis' but who wants to feel rushed on vacation, really? And the food was great so it was worth the wait. They accommodated my gluten/dairy issues (yes I am a pain to feed. They even bought some gluten free pasta for us.) Chef Conrad was awesome and came to visit us many times at meals to make sure we were taken care of. We travelled also with a Celiac and he had NO issues the whole week - which is unusual when eating out that many times.
If we needed a quick meal we could always hop over to the buffet at Sunset.

You do hear planes here - it's close to the airport - but it certainly wasn't annoying and the kids enjoyed watching the planes and the cruise ships (which dock just past here) come in.

We didn't try any of the a la carte restaurants at Sunset because the a la carte at Oasis was sufficient and easy - and we didn't need to book anything. The buffet was 'ok' but that's mainly speaking from a gluten/dairy free perspective. My family were happy when they ate there as the selection was wide - just not a lot of options for me. I ended up doing the 'grill' nearby often and didn't have issues with the jerk chicken which I was told was gluten free.

The rooms were decent. Not top of the line (i.e. granite bathroom counters etc - and the tiling job was not great but I'm not living there and it suited our needs just fine). We were in West 117 and it was a nice compromise - super close to the slides and waterpark and close to Sunset for the buffet. Out our back sliding glass we could walk to the beach in 30 seconds and we could see some of the ocean (and the wedding gazebo). The East side would be good as well if you wanted more quiet - just a bit further away from everything (but not more than a minute or so extra really).

The beach was great - yes there are 'some' weedy parts a bit further out but there was also a lot of sand and the kids absolutely loved every minute.

The snorkeling - if you go out to the far white buoys - is awesome. I managed to spot a nurse shark and a family of 3 sting rays amongst many beautiful varieties of fish/coral. Getting back from way out there you want to make sure you head back the way you came - as some areas of coral are VERY close to the surface and you can end up in areas where you have to backtrack. We ended up finding the best way to do it was to head out from the far part of the beach near the bar and go straight out and then when done come back the same way. Bring an underwater camera and be prepared to be impressed - the coral is a bit less vibrant than when I was in Belize at the reef there but still very good. The 2nd last day there was a bit of a rain storm (only around a half hour) but that was enough to ruin the snorkeling the next day due to the sand being kicked up so your mileage may vary depending on the weather before your trip.

The water slides require your kids to be 48 inches tall (although they didn't seem to enforce this that well). It would have been nice to know before exciting my 2 and 4 year old about water slides but luckily there is a small slide and kiddie pool behind the main waterpark that they enjoyed.

We are definitely planning on coming back. The service was excellent and there wasn't that much pressure to tip (although we did a bit).
Special mentions go to Mr Jump, Deneasha, and Carol at the a la carte 'The Terrace' - picking my top 3 servers for the week.
We were told that they have around 300 repeat customers a week and throw a returning dinner one night for the repeat guests. That seemed like a lot but it came from what we feel is a reliable source there and I'm not surprised. We met one guest whose family has been coming for 7 years now. They're very happy with the renovations and updates.

Room Tip: East is quieter it seems - avoid the waterfront views on the West side unless you are ok with noise...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eprklims

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The property at Oasis is lovely, service is great, Sunset buffet is meh, Oasis Terrace restaurant is very good. The staff is super friendly and nice. Our room is a little on the small side for a family of four, but comfy and clean. We asked for an oceanfront room and we got one. We chose Oasis instead of the regular Sunset at Montego Bay because we have kids and we like to be able to escape the crazy and let the partiers do their thing elsewhere. Unfortunately our room was right beside one of the few smoking patios, so there was often a cloud of smoke coming into our room. Also right outside our room is the daily drunken sunset beach volleyball game, featuring a guest with a portable Bose cranking Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy. Why would you host smoking and cocktail-hour beach volleyball at someplace called the Oasis?

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Karin H
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very friendly staff but empty promises. When we made our reservation at Oasis and as soon as we checked in we requested a room in the west block. We kept being told, tomorrow there will be a room. Tomorrow there will be a room. Meanwhile more and more quests were checking in and our promised room was never available.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 114Sam
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in the Oasis in mid January and really enjoyed it. We were a little anxious prior to our holiday as we could not find any reviews on lines. We agree fully with all the wonderful reviews which have been posted since. Wifi did not bother us...we were on holidays and the odd email or text message was more than enough!!!!
As already pointed out the staff especially in the Oasis restaurant are second to none. They seem to make every guest feel important and their needs are paramount. Everybody we met was pleasant, happy and helpful. Special mention must go to Andrew, Mailey, Albert and Paul in the restaurant, they are truly outsanding. Thank you all for making our holiday one to remember for all the right reasons. If you are planning a visit do not hesitate. IMprovement to the grounds etc were on-going when we were there. It did not interfere at all with our enjoyment of the resort, there was no loud noise and the staff were more than pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Where I am
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would actually rate this resort as 4.5.

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I was looking for a week of sun and relaxation, and that's exactly what I got. The rooms are in the process of being updated, but they still fall short of 5 star standard. Additionally, the included wifi was spotty at best. But those two small issues pale in comparison to all the wonderful attributes of this resort.

The entire staff is amazing. I especially want to thank the Guest Services team (Nadine, Renae, Roland and Shandae (sp?) and the staff at the Terrace (Albert, Andrew, Denesha and pretty much everyone that works there). It was the staff that made this vacation my best all inclusive Caribbean vacation ever.

The Oasis section of the beach deserves the name Oasis. There is tons of room and it is the only place at the resort where you can have a drink served to you at your lounger.

I didn't check out too much of the entertainment, but what I did, I thought was good.

The water park could use a coat of paint, but that's just cosmetic. I enjoyed floating around on the lazy river.

On the few mornings when I needed to have a quick breakfast, I went to the buffet. Service was friendly and the food was tasty. I ate one dinner at the Asian a la carte, which was fine but it couldn't compete with the Terrace, which is where I ate most of my meals.

I did tip (USD) for what I felt was excellent service, but in my opinion, everyone delivered great service, whether or not they were being tipped.

For excellent service and a relaxing vacation, I would definitely return to the Oasis.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank neferTT
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

One of our best ever holidays. The place we will be going back to soon. The staff was great and the service was really a five star. We enjoyed having our resort area "private" and had the use of the sister resort. It was great, none of the problems we have incurred at other resorts. No lack of anything here and the staff was out to do everything to make you feel right at home. The food the drinks and the entertainment awesome. We were in a beachfront cabana and it was great. New a worry about beach chairs or anything. One beach area even had drink service on the beach. Lol, also a private nude beach for Oasis guests to use.There were not many kids here, but over at the sister resort was more for the families.

Room Tip: The beach front is a bit more, but was well worth it for us. There is no smoking on the balconies...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karkle
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Just returned yesterday from 7 days at the Oasis at Sunset. Probably one of the loveliest of holidays I have had. I have visited many all inclusives but rate this as one of the best. The reason is simple - the amazing service we received. From the moment we arrived until we left every staff member made us feel like they were there to make our stay the best ever. Also having the full service restaurant meant that we really never ate at the Sunset all inclusive - why would we when we could have meals that we chose, prepared wonderfully and served by a great staff. While the rooms weren't luxury, they were completely everything we needed. The beach was great, and I never felt like I was crowded on a small strip of land - because I wasn't! We began keeping track of the names of all the wonderful people who made our stay so lovely and can't name them all but Nadine, Andrew, Ernest, Omar, Roland, Albert and all the rest of you made this a stay to remember. We aren't looking for the most exclusive place or the most amazing entertainment. We were looking for a time where we felt pampered, rested and taken care of - and the Oasis gave us that. The only issue I had was the WiFi that they say is available in the rooms. It was on and off and not reliable. For someone who owns their own business I was looking forward to being able to do my bit of business every day in the comfort of my room but that didn't always happen. I do appreciate that they tried to help by moving us to another room but really the wifi is not reliable on a regular basis. Such a silly thing to worry about when you are enjoying sun and fun!

Room Tip: Sorry - we aren't worried about the room - what are you doing sitting in the room when you are i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,905 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Cove Montego Bay? Share your experiences!