We just returned from an awesome week in Jamaica at this resort. This is my fourth time to Jamaica and my first time to the Oasis at Sunset.
Some things to note:
- the Sunset hotel, adjoined, is aptly named. We watched some great sunsets there so remember to pop over and get a great seat for the view
- the Oasis 'section' made the trip for us. When I go on vacation to a resort one of the things I find most annoying is worrying about where to eat and 'did we make reservations in time' or 'do we have to line up for an hour' etc. There was none of this worry for us. Since we were at the Oasis we were entitled to eat at their main restaurant and we were able to get a table (our favourite one for six of us) each evening at 6:30 and each morning for breakfast at around 8am. I will say that the food does take a while - I called it 'slow-asis' but who wants to feel rushed on vacation, really? And the food was great so it was worth the wait. They accommodated my gluten/dairy issues (yes I am a pain to feed. They even bought some gluten free pasta for us.) Chef Conrad was awesome and came to visit us many times at meals to make sure we were taken care of. We travelled also with a Celiac and he had NO issues the whole week - which is unusual when eating out that many times.
If we needed a quick meal we could always hop over to the buffet at Sunset.
You do hear planes here - it's close to the airport - but it certainly wasn't annoying and the kids enjoyed watching the planes and the cruise ships (which dock just past here) come in.
We didn't try any of the a la carte restaurants at Sunset because the a la carte at Oasis was sufficient and easy - and we didn't need to book anything. The buffet was 'ok' but that's mainly speaking from a gluten/dairy free perspective. My family were happy when they ate there as the selection was wide - just not a lot of options for me. I ended up doing the 'grill' nearby often and didn't have issues with the jerk chicken which I was told was gluten free.
The rooms were decent. Not top of the line (i.e. granite bathroom counters etc - and the tiling job was not great but I'm not living there and it suited our needs just fine). We were in West 117 and it was a nice compromise - super close to the slides and waterpark and close to Sunset for the buffet. Out our back sliding glass we could walk to the beach in 30 seconds and we could see some of the ocean (and the wedding gazebo). The East side would be good as well if you wanted more quiet - just a bit further away from everything (but not more than a minute or so extra really).
The beach was great - yes there are 'some' weedy parts a bit further out but there was also a lot of sand and the kids absolutely loved every minute.
The snorkeling - if you go out to the far white buoys - is awesome. I managed to spot a nurse shark and a family of 3 sting rays amongst many beautiful varieties of fish/coral. Getting back from way out there you want to make sure you head back the way you came - as some areas of coral are VERY close to the surface and you can end up in areas where you have to backtrack. We ended up finding the best way to do it was to head out from the far part of the beach near the bar and go straight out and then when done come back the same way. Bring an underwater camera and be prepared to be impressed - the coral is a bit less vibrant than when I was in Belize at the reef there but still very good. The 2nd last day there was a bit of a rain storm (only around a half hour) but that was enough to ruin the snorkeling the next day due to the sand being kicked up so your mileage may vary depending on the weather before your trip.
The water slides require your kids to be 48 inches tall (although they didn't seem to enforce this that well). It would have been nice to know before exciting my 2 and 4 year old about water slides but luckily there is a small slide and kiddie pool behind the main waterpark that they enjoyed.
We are definitely planning on coming back. The service was excellent and there wasn't that much pressure to tip (although we did a bit).
Special mentions go to Mr Jump, Deneasha, and Carol at the a la carte 'The Terrace' - picking my top 3 servers for the week.
We were told that they have around 300 repeat customers a week and throw a returning dinner one night for the repeat guests. That seemed like a lot but it came from what we feel is a reliable source there and I'm not surprised. We met one guest whose family has been coming for 7 years now. They're very happy with the renovations and updates.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As an all Sun Club resort, Sunscape Cove Montego Bay offers an enhanced Unlimited-Fun(R) Caribbean escape, where everything is included. These charming beachfront accommodations, featuring 122 newly renovated rooms with chic décor and a Caribbean flair, are surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, Jamaica's fully underwater national park, on a private peninsula along a white sand beach. As well as enjoying full access to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay next door, where you will find dining, bars, lounges, the expansive Pirate's Paradise Waterpark and more, you will also receive special check-in and checkout with concierge service, complimentary room service (7 a.m. - 11 p.m.) and an upgraded mini-bar refreshed daily. Kids will enjoy cartoons, milk, cookies and other special treats in their room. Two restaurants and two bars, as well as a Sun Club Lounge with complimentary Wi-Fi are available exclusively for Sun Club guests of Sunscape Cove and Sunscape Splash. Eight dining options, seven bars and lounges, the Explorer's Club for Kids and Core Zone Teens Club, daily land and water activities, live music and local entertainment provide Unlimited-Fun(R) for everyone! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U., Travel Republic (UK), Holiday Gems, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sunscape Cove Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.