“Oasis of Smiles”

Sunscape Cove Montego Bay
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have been lucky enough to travel numerous times to different tropical locations every Year and am able to compare different Islands and coastal Resort areas... we always return to Jamaica.I have stayed at the Sunset Beach on five occasions, but this my first time at its attached/affiliated Sunset Oasis.
They did an awesome job of taking the positives of Sunset Beach and magnifying and expounding on them to obtain a truly excellent Resort! When you arrive you may be greeted by Renae or Shaudae... when you see them smile or meet them you know you have reached Paradise... customer service is both their first and 2nd name!
The Terrace restaurant was A la Carte for all Meals and the food was 5+... Thank you Albert, Carol, Ava and rest of the Crew and Thank you Chefs Conrad and O'Neil and their awesome job in the 'Blue Mahoe'. for another 5+ rating. (You must try the 'Coq au Vin' as you main course... unbelievable!)
The Beautiful secluded and private Beach is perfect for relaxation and space, Thank you Vinston for allowing me to enjoy your Beach that you look after so well. If you desire a more exciting and lively aspect for your waterworks you may take a walk to the Swim up Bar at sunset Beach.
The little Bar near the Terrace Restaurant is nice and quaint and fun. To experience( Waiters) Earnest and Nico provide their comedy show is always a welcome time.
Every Wednesday evening the return Guests are invited for a Sunsetters Club private Extravaganza. I must mention Lorna and Karlene that help guide this Awesome 'Sunset Ship' in a positive and progressive direction. I wish I could mention everyone names that deserves to be noted but I just retired and unfortunately my Brain is currently in a 'non-absorbent neutral mode'.
Cutting to the chase, The number one why this Oasis works has a FIVE STAR are ALL the EMPLOYEES. The Staff is 2nd to none. They love their Jobs and proud of them...they display it Physically and Mentally every minute,- every shift.
Thank you Oasis! See you in November

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank KenR993
Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

As a prequel to this review, I'd like to give some background to the audience about myself, since that seems relevant. I am a 34 year old male and I went on vacation with my wife and 1 year old daughter to enjoy some good food and relax. This was my third stay in Jamaica (also stayed once at the Riu Ocho Rios, and once at the Riu Montego Bay). I paid ~$3200 for a 7 day vacation and flew via WestJet.

THE SKINNY:

For those who want the conclusion but not the fine details, I not only had a nearly perfect vacation, but felt that my family received exceptional value for what we paid. The service was nothing short of spectacular, which in my opinion, is the most important factor when evaluating an all-inclusive vacation resort.

I highly recommend this resort to almost everyone, but especially to families with young children. Teenagers will have fun here too, but I'm not sure I would recommend this resort to party people. I didn't get the party vibe from anyone there, and didn't see many groups of young singles (18-25). Most of the people here were either couples or families.

THE LONG VERSION:

THE RESORT GROUNDS - (4.5/5) - The lobby is extremely inviting, and obviously very new. Upon arrival, you're greeted with a hot facecloth and a drink of your choice. The wait for us was very short, and they have a comfortable sitting area. The Oasis at Sunset is a new addition to the Sunset Beach resort. They are basically 2 resorts joined together. The Oasis at Sunset guests enjoy some special privileges; full use of the Sunset Beach resort, a private beach, a private water park that features a water slide and lazy river, and a few other perks that I forget. The water park is pretty awesome, especially if you have kids. Loved the lazy river!

Internet access was highly available. There are desktops that you can buy time on, and there is high speed Wifi in the lobby and in the rooms. There was enough bandwidth to allow me to download my favorite TV shows for my wife and I to watch in the evening. I didn't run a speedtest, but my torrent downloads hit 1MB/sec, which is extremely fast for an island resort. I started a 6GB download at midnight and it was done at 6AM. That's a pretty awesome bonus when you're on an island vacation.

The resort grounds overall lose half a point for aesthetic. A resort doesn't need to be pretty in order for me to enjoy my vacation, but if I were looking at this place from the outside, I would never dream that it is anywhere near as good as it is on the inside. The Sunset Beach high-rises look ratty, and the exterior building aesthetic doesn't do this excellent resort any justice.

FOOD - PERFECT SCORE (5/5) - I am a picky eater and have been to many Caribbean resorts, and I have never had food like this before on a vacation. The terrace restaurant would rival some 5-star restaurants in Toronto, and that is not an exaggeration. The service, ambiance, presentation, and food quality is impeccable. We had about 5 meals at this restaurant; 1 breakfast, 2 dinners, 2 lunches. On the first dinner, there was a performer who sang classic songs over an acoustic guitar and he was awesome. His voice did not overpower the ambiance, and all the covers he chose were excellent. He sang an amazing, soulful rendition of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song". On that evening I had a delicious pumpkin soup, followed by a spinach salad, jerk chicken supreme as the entree, and a chocolate dessert. The jerk chicken was the best I've ever had, and everything else was excellent. The dinner was so good that when I returned a few nights later, I ordered the exact same, and it was perfect again. The only difference was that on this evening, they had a different performer who sang country music over an acoustic guitar. I'm not a huge fan of country, but he picked some great songs including "Ring of Fire" and "The Gambler". The diners and staff joined in and it was just fantastic. At lunch, I had a fish entree that was spectacular, a spinach soup and I forget what else. At the breakfast, I had eggs benedict and bacon, banana bread, and a fruit platter. I didn't leave a crumb on my plate.

The terrace restaurant was so good that it pretty much hogged the spotlight from the other restaurants, that were almost equally exceptional. As good as I thought the terrace was, my wife's favorite meal was at the Jamaican a-la-carte called "Byron's". It's not an enclosed restaurant, since they essentially convert a dining area close to the beach to an a-la-carte option, but the food is top notch. We ordered 3 appetizers, which were all small portions, but tasted great --- akee and codfish, tiger shrimp, and avocado rolls. I went with the jerk chicken and my wife had the fish. We had ice cream with fried plantain for dessert. It was just delicious. We also tried an indoor a-la-carte called the "Blue Mahoe", and I forget what I had, but remember it being excellent. We skipped the Italian and Asian restaurants so I can't say anything about those.

The buffet is very good. At breakfast, you'll find a typical assortment of foods; fresh fruit, omelettes, french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, etc. The lunch was pretty good too. I thought the soups were excellent and my wife loved the pasta. We also enjoyed the dinner buffet. Once a week, the dinner buffet is hosted close to the beach. They have a live steel band play during dinner and they were great. Also once a week, the buffet is hosted in the large stage area, and they serve buffet food of all varieties --- Asian, Italian, Jamaican, etc. I really enjoyed it but the stage area gets packed quickly so arrive early.

DRINKS - VERY GOOD (4.5/5) - My favourites were the banana daquiries from the pool and stage bars, since they are made with fresh bananas at those two locations. The bananas do run out quickly though, so try to get those fresh banana daquiries early, otherwise you`ll have to settle for banana liquor which is far less tasty. If you are not big on alcohol, make sure you ask for a little less, because the mixed drinks are quite strong by default. I did not try every possible drink, but 90% of what I did try was very good. The wine wasn't great, but still was better than wine I have had at other resorts. The fresh fruit smoothies at breakfast were amazing. The coffee in Jamaica is something special --- we were looking forward to it, and were not disappointed. There is a coffee/tea counter just past the Banana Walk restaurant that is available 24 hours.

ROOM - MEDIOCRE (3/5) - We stayed in room W114, right across from the waterpark. The location was ideal, the room was clean, and the air conditioning was functional, so all the important factors were accounted for. There were 2 double beds and a bunk bed. We asked for a crib and had one delivered and set up immediately, which was great. The room had an ironing board, a safe, a flat screen TV with a decent selection of channels, a dresser, coat hangers, and good lighting. Aside from that, the room was somewhat disappointing. The washroom was clean, but small, and it looked dirty. The reason it looked dirty was that it was obviously old, and had a lot of wear and tear. That doesn't mean it actually was dirty, it just wasn't very inviting. There was an old school shower/tub combo. The tub was crusty looking and did not have an antislip mat. The water pressure in the shower was good and the hot water plentiful. Unfortunately, we didn't figure out that the hot water only comes if you rotate the tap more than 360 degrees. If you just point the water dial to hot (without the 360 degree rotation), you'll get cold water. There was a vent in the washroom which was nothing more than a flap to the exterior, so you could hear everything from the outside and vice-versa. I probably don't need to elaborate on why that is a little gross. The blow drier was useless. Ladies are recommended to bring their own.

The refrigerator was broken, which we found out later when the baby food we put in there spoiled, which was pretty annoying. The walls were paper thin, which really sucks given that there are a lot of kids at the resort. We had a baby in the room next to us that cried day and night for our entire vacation. I have a kid too, and it's not their fault --- but man, did it ever get annoying. Good thing our neighbors didn't get too freaky, otherwise we would have had to listen to that soundtrack. Also, there was loud music coming from somewhere at night --- not sure where, but it was loud enough to disrupt our sleep. We found out later that all the good rooms are in the "E" wing of the resort. Several staff members mentioned that we should have stayed there instead, because that's where the good rooms are. Those are beach facing rooms, so they are likely more expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for. I will definitely consider them for my next stay.

SERVICE - PERFECT SCORE (5/5) - I will definitely return to this resort not only because of the excellent service, but even if all else were to have been mediocre, I would return solely based on the effort, warmth, and sincerity of the staff at this resort. They were absolutely exceptional. I've been to places where the staff don't do their jobs properly, or do their jobs lacking sincerity or pleasure, and it really takes away from the experience. The team at the Oasis at Sunset is special --- they make you feel truly welcome and seem genuinely pleased to do whatever it takes to make your vacation outstanding. I can be quite a difficult customer, and I'm the type that only tips when I feel it is deserved. I brought $200 in USD for tips, and ran out of tip money. I lost track of occassions where someone really deserved recognition for doing their job with exceptional effort and charisma. I wish I remember all the names of the staff, but I'll do my best:

Mongoose Kids Club: Yineik, Serena, Charmaine, Esmie, Tanasha - We were extremely nervous about leaving our kids at a daycare, but these girls put us right at ease. My daughter took to them immediately and they treated her as their own. She felt so loved in their care. As parents, we could see and feel their care. Much love to the Mongoose Kids Club --- Vienna misses you!

Breakfast buffet crew: Shinique, Damian, Xavier - Shouts out to Shinique and Damian. We miss your infectious smiles and obsequious care. You always started off our day in the best of company. Vienna misses the chickens and roosters at breakfast :). Props to Xavier for making perfect omelettes with ruthless efficiency. This guy would mow through an endless lineup of guests like it was nothing --- making 5-6 quality omelettes at a time. Remarkable work ethic and proficiency at what he does. Much respect.

Terrace Restaurant: Albert and Daneisha. Thanks for making us feel so welcome whenever we were in the restaurant or the lobby. We always felt taken care of when you were around. Shouts out to the other servers as well --- wish I remembered all your names, but you were all great.

Guest Services: Roland really got our vacation off on the right foot. As soon as we entered, he was doing everything he could to make us comfortable. He made our wait in the lobby short and escorted us to our room. When we asked for a crib, he went and got it himself and set it up. He didn't leave us until we felt we were in good shape. Owayne was just a natural with kids --- he smiled at my daughter and she went running to him. They were laughing and giggling immediately. He scooped her up and took her for a walk around the lobby and she was loving it. The staff seemed to have this natural positivity about them that my daughter loved.

GYM - GOOD - (3.5/5) - The spa has a decent fitness room that is well ventilated. There are some freeweights, a bench press, and some univeral machines - chest press, row, shoulder press, dip, crunch, and hamstring curl. Also, there are swiss balls and a very reasonable number of cardio machines that are fully functional. Not bad at all! I didn't try the spa so no comment there.

ENTERTAINMENT - VERY GOOD (4/5) - The daily poolside entertainment wasn't anything special, but the performers at the Terrace restaurant were amazing (see earlier in the review). The steel band was also excellent. Like most resorts, there is a small onsite disco, but we didn't go inside so no comments there. The casino is a typical slot casino --- nothing really interesting there.

BEACH - VERY GOOD (4/5) - The beach is short in depth but decent in length. The sand is well kept and comfortable. The beach chairs are functional, accessible, and well situated. There is a nicely shaded area for those seeking sun refuge. There is a bar at the end of the beach, which is quite convenient. Where the beach is a little lacking is in the cleanliness and comfort of the water and ocean floor. Much of the ocean floor is full of seaweed which gives the water a murky look. Stepping into the water, the sand becomes coarse, sharp, dirty, and uncomfortable. About 10 paces in, the ocean floor becomes a gooey, mushy seaweed swamp. Every step feels quite gross. There is an area towards the end of the beach where the ocean floor is clean and comfortable. You'll see most of the guests in the water there. If possible, pack swim shoes. The great part of the Oasis is that there are two private beaches just for Oasis guests. The first is a topless beach, and the second is a nude beach. Both are well maintained and have staff taking care of them. They also have private servers who bring you drinks on the beach. No cameras, kids, or bathing suits in the nude area. These two private beaches are mostly empty, so you can have all the privacy you want.

THE CONCLUSION:

If you looking for excellent service, amazing food, and a nice beach, you will really enjoy this resort. We are definitely returning. I hope this review was helpful, and if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Happy vacationing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
20  Thank Malitz
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I traveled alone but did not feel alone since I met great hotel guests and the staff were very welcoming and very friendly.It was a great value overall from the food, the bars, and having complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. I will post pictures, but the photos you see are true to how it looks, even better in person.

Some of the things I really enjoyed that would be great for singles is that they have complimentary night shuttle service to Margaritaville (popular club in the area) on the Hip Strip which is a short ride from the resort.The Oasis is quieter side of Sunset where you can relax, meet a few people, or stay low key. As far as the activities they seem to be a great variety, but I didn't participate in any since I wanted to mainly relax but I did go out on the boat rides a few times and listened to some of the live performances, that was about it.

The property is beautiful, clean, and secure. I went off walking through the resort and the beach at night and felt very comfortable. The only improvements I would say is that the beds are really firm, but I didn't spend a lot of time in my room so it wasn't an issue. The rooms are clean and fully stocked minibar which came in handy for me.

The staff really goes above and beyond. They will treat you so good that you will want to come back again and again. For instance, the manager Lorna let me borrow her modem from her office in order for me to get stronger WiFi signal in my room which was the junior suite. The staff was amazing so I have to recognize the ones that really made my experience at Oasis comfortable and very enjoyable: Fabian, Albert, Tanya, Omar, Roland, Judy Ann, Saundra, Conrad, Ava, and the entire wait staff and bartenders whose names escapes me.

I really look forward to returning again and perhaps next time I'll bring one or two friends.

Room Tip: Try to select the East Wing as it was very quiet and hardly any people traffic. If you want a nice v...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank MonetfrmNJ
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at this resort the end of April and I must say we were more than pleased. This is rated a 4 star resort but the staff and food make it a 5 star. The staff were very friendly, polite, respectful and most all of extremely helpful throughout the resort. The food at the Oasis restaurant is amazing along with the staff, very professional and it is run extremely well, always on top of things. We also went to the Asian and Italian restaurants and again treated extremely well and very much enjoyed our meal. Drinks were good and only a short walk to the beach bar. The beach is small, a little pebbly but good for swimming and if you have children you can easily keep an eye on them. What also makes this resort attractive is the location, only 15 minutes from the airport. Have traveled since the 70's and have to say that the staff, service and food is by far the best I've ever encountered. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach are very appealing, you are able to run to your room if needed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darlene---George
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We first booked into Sunset Beach side of this hotel, which we found to be lacking in all areas with the exception of the staff and the food. After expressing our displeasure, the front desk recommended we upgrade to the Oasis side, and it entirely made our vacation. The staff attention, service and friendliness was outstanding. The private beach for Oasis guests was absolutely amazing, hardly anyone on this side at all. The water had lots of sea grass, but with water shoes it wasn't an issue, and the snorkeling was great. The staff at this entire resort was 5 star quality, the people entirely genuine, and we had an absolutely fantastic vacation. A big thank you to Vinston, Alton, & Threena who were fun, friendly staff members that absolutely made our vacation. I would absolutely recommend the Oasis to anyone. The food and staff at this resort is taking a serious attempt at 5 star quality & service. We stayed in the East wing Beach cabana, the room was large, although the bathroom a bit small, was spotless, comfortable and maid service outstanding. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the staff throughout the entire resort. All in all was one of the best vacations we've had, a huge part of that due to top notch staff, and great food & drinks.

Room Tip: East wing seems a bit more private and further from the waterpark. Very happy with our room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Well if you really want to meet the manager, and have an upv front, close, and personal relationship…… arrive late and tired. Grab a cocktail and just light up a cigarette on the balcony. Not the balcony in the room, the balcony walkway leading to the room. The manager at the oasis at the sunset is Ms. Lorna Clark within five minutes of me lighting up that cigarette on the balcony I got a phone call from Mrs. Clark. She was extremely pleasant...pleasant to the moon and back. She explained the new smoking policy for the entire of country of Jamaica to me. Seems that Jamaica pretty much does not allow a lot of public smoking anymore. It is individually up to the hotels and resorts to govern themselves on their own individual property. She was very kind and explained to me that I was restricted as to where I could have that occasional cigarette. No smoking in the rooms of course, and no smoking on the balconies of the rooms either. There is a smoking area in front of the lobby where they have attempted to make if comfortable with a couple of chairs and you can take your coffee or cocktail, sit and relax. There are a couple of very secluded, isolated smoking areas that are located along the beach. This is to curb people from smoking in front of small children and inconveniencing others with their cigarette smoke. It's not all bad, maybe a good idea but you can get used to it and you can survive as I did for the three days that we were there. I cannot say enough good things about this lovely little property. The Oasis at the Sunset resort has been in entirely refurbished, remodelled and updated. The rooms are nice light, bright, airy and very comfortable. The restaurants, especially the main restaurant and the steakhouse at the Oasis are absolutely outstanding. Their Chef is amazing and the steak house promises you will not be disappointed. The bars are small and intimate. I was on the property for a travel agents familiarization trip and again, I cannot say enough good about this particular property. Their entire staff bends over backwards to accomodate you. I could encourage people to check it out because their rates are very affordable and they are certainly modestly priced. The difference is that you get the service that you would see at those resorts that spend the big bucks on television ads......but you are not paying the big prices. Their beaches are very lovely and it is in an area of Montego Bay that is a little bit away from the general population and all the mega-resorts.The Oasis at the Sunset is almost like a resort within a resort it is located within the larger property which is also a sunset resort. The Sunset Resort offers all of the amenities for folks with kids who want more dining, drinking and playing opportunies. The Oasis is just that. It is a little Oasis you can call your own and has the quaintness of a small boutique hotel within the larger property. It offers its own ambiance and privacy that makes it unique. If you are looking for an intimate setting, privacy and fewer people in "your dance space" this is it. I recommend you get your self a fabulous travel consultant. and DO IT!!! If the manager is busy and you really want to meet her....do what I did and just light up a cigarette and o Miss Lorna will be there to GREET you. Love her and want her to be my new best friend. Oh! by the way, do me a favor.....Tell her Debbie sent you.

Room Tip: Be sure and get on the beach.....I liked the beach front walk outs. Do know that the Oasis rooms ar...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is by far the best place I have ever stayed. The food, drinks, room, pools, entertainment, and the people are 110%. They go above and beyond. Special thanks to Denise and Clifton, for our "special" treatment. The entire staff goes out of their way to make your trip enjoyable. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple