“Top Royalty service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Cove Montego Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Top Royalty service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The Food was great plenty of selections for different styles of taste staff friendly and knowledgeable
so much to see and do on the resort also front desk took care of you when you wanted to go on excursions outside the resort. I went for honeymoon but club mongoose for kids waterpark ping pong water sports daily and pm shows

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank STM0902

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I usually would never book a hotel unless i check the reviews on tripadvisor. I must say this is the first time i was disappointed and probably a little mislead by the reviews. I came for a wedding and my family stayed at the resort the wedding was being held at (which was beautiful). We wanted to save a little money so we chose this resort. Well u get what you pay for. While this resort is quiet and serene and I understand the vibe their going for; it was somewhat of an let down compared to the reviews.

Pros: quiet, serene, great food, chefs were extremely kind and answered my questions about their cooking methods.

Cons: I kept looking for the great customer service everyone raved for and honestly it was not there. I am used to 5 star treatment and I know what it looks like, never even received a level of 3 star treatment. The common areas have been updated but the rooms need major overhauls. Our room smelt musty and moldy the entire time, there was a leak in the ceiling which leaked onto my cloths. The first room we were put in was noisy (by the pool) and every surface of the room was wet from the moisture. We asked them to move us to another room and this room was not much better.

I did speak to the manager about my concerns and if they wanted to be billed as a 4 star resort they have some more work to do. I would not return to this resort unless they completed a major overhaul of the room and grounds. I am a traveler who observes everything and the grounds were neat but could use some updated landscaping.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tinalmnj
moncton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The staff at this resort make this the best resort we have been to.We had the ocean view which was wonderful. The food was great and was by menu so we only ate at the sunset resort buffet next door twice.you get the best of both worlds, the small resort of oasis sunset which was quiet and great personal service and the larger attractions of the adjoining sunset beach resort and water theme park.Also you can go to there resort but they cant use the oasis resort which was very nice for a great atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived at the oasis expecting the typical all inclusive offers , you know the ones were after a couple of days you can predict exactly what the day would bring ; but to our surprise every day was something new , fun and exciting. Our vacation did not start smooth to say the lease; we were surprise when we arrived to learn that our reservation could not be found. This was the first time to Jamaica for my friends and we were not happy. Within minutes Rowland from guest services took our anxiety for ten to zero, with his calmness and warm smile. He was courteous and worked diligently to resolve the mishap, not only did he resolve the issue he also upgrade our room. During our wait in the lobby, we were given cold wash cloth to cool us and cocktails made specially by Fabian who named the cocktail “lady killer” which my friend had all the bartender trying to replicate not knowing that he made the drink specially for us; That was the start of our amazing vacation.
We spent six days at the oasis and every day felt like our first the service does not compare. The rooms are clean and well kept, the grounds, beautiful. Every staff member was friendly and makes you feel as if you are the most important person at the resort. The beaches are beautiful there are sufficient beach chairs for all the guest it’s never crowded and you can have your our private area if needed.
“Food” The only word to describe is simple “Amazing” we mostly ate at the Terrace the view of the garden and beach while eating is extraordinary. There is the buffet on the other side of the resort and four addition restaurants to choose from. It’s not often that the chef of any restaurant or resort comes out to meet the guest. Thanks Chef Conrad for stopping by and talking with us every chance you got. The resort is elegant and not stuffy you find yourself chatting with the other guest and comparing your experiences. The staff at guest services is always available and courteous thanks ladies for tolerating us needing to get change every day.
We would like extend our sincere gratitude and appreciation to the team that serves us during our stay. Calvin, Andrew, Ava, and Manley; Thanks for the coconuts Jonesie (gardener) Carol thanks for your humility, genuineness and warm smile you are the best. And Paul for your fun loving spirit, and ability to have us laughing and entertained, for your quick and efficient services and the mangoes, for going above and beyond to get us what we needed thank you . To Lorna (operations manager) thanks for talking with us and making us feel special you have an awesome team.
If you are looking for the perfect escape to a place of friendly smile, great food and beach; to be pampered and tend to with no hassling and disturbance; whether it’s with friends, family or for couples to unwind. The Oasis at Sunset will take you there. We will definitely be back for our next vacation.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms gives a view of the beach from the verandah. I like my room on the west with the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Massup02
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have been lucky enough to travel numerous times to different tropical locations every Year and am able to compare different Islands and coastal Resort areas... we always return to Jamaica.I have stayed at the Sunset Beach on five occasions, but this my first time at its attached/affiliated Sunset Oasis.
They did an awesome job of taking the positives of Sunset Beach and magnifying and expounding on them to obtain a truly excellent Resort! When you arrive you may be greeted by Renae or Shaudae... when you see them smile or meet them you know you have reached Paradise... customer service is both their first and 2nd name!
The Terrace restaurant was A la Carte for all Meals and the food was 5+... Thank you Albert, Carol, Ava and rest of the Crew and Thank you Chefs Conrad and O'Neil and their awesome job in the 'Blue Mahoe'. for another 5+ rating. (You must try the 'Coq au Vin' as you main course... unbelievable!)
The Beautiful secluded and private Beach is perfect for relaxation and space, Thank you Vinston for allowing me to enjoy your Beach that you look after so well. If you desire a more exciting and lively aspect for your waterworks you may take a walk to the Swim up Bar at sunset Beach.
The little Bar near the Terrace Restaurant is nice and quaint and fun. To experience( Waiters) Earnest and Nico provide their comedy show is always a welcome time.
Every Wednesday evening the return Guests are invited for a Sunsetters Club private Extravaganza. I must mention Lorna and Karlene that help guide this Awesome 'Sunset Ship' in a positive and progressive direction. I wish I could mention everyone names that deserves to be noted but I just retired and unfortunately my Brain is currently in a 'non-absorbent neutral mode'.
Cutting to the chase, The number one why this Oasis works has a FIVE STAR are ALL the EMPLOYEES. The Staff is 2nd to none. They love their Jobs and proud of them...they display it Physically and Mentally every minute,- every shift.
Thank you Oasis! See you in November

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank KenR993
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

As a prequel to this review, I'd like to give some background to the audience about myself, since that seems relevant. I am a 34 year old male and I went on vacation with my wife and 1 year old daughter to enjoy some good food and relax. This was my third stay in Jamaica (also stayed once at the Riu Ocho Rios, and once at the Riu Montego Bay). I paid ~$3200 for a 7 day vacation and flew via WestJet.

THE SKINNY:

For those who want the conclusion but not the fine details, I not only had a nearly perfect vacation, but felt that my family received exceptional value for what we paid. The service was nothing short of spectacular, which in my opinion, is the most important factor when evaluating an all-inclusive vacation resort.

I highly recommend this resort to almost everyone, but especially to families with young children. Teenagers will have fun here too, but I'm not sure I would recommend this resort to party people. I didn't get the party vibe from anyone there, and didn't see many groups of young singles (18-25). Most of the people here were either couples or families.

THE LONG VERSION:

THE RESORT GROUNDS - (4.5/5) - The lobby is extremely inviting, and obviously very new. Upon arrival, you're greeted with a hot facecloth and a drink of your choice. The wait for us was very short, and they have a comfortable sitting area. The Oasis at Sunset is a new addition to the Sunset Beach resort. They are basically 2 resorts joined together. The Oasis at Sunset guests enjoy some special privileges; full use of the Sunset Beach resort, a private beach, a private water park that features a water slide and lazy river, and a few other perks that I forget. The water park is pretty awesome, especially if you have kids. Loved the lazy river!

Internet access was highly available. There are desktops that you can buy time on, and there is high speed Wifi in the lobby and in the rooms. There was enough bandwidth to allow me to download my favorite TV shows for my wife and I to watch in the evening. I didn't run a speedtest, but my torrent downloads hit 1MB/sec, which is extremely fast for an island resort. I started a 6GB download at midnight and it was done at 6AM. That's a pretty awesome bonus when you're on an island vacation.

The resort grounds overall lose half a point for aesthetic. A resort doesn't need to be pretty in order for me to enjoy my vacation, but if I were looking at this place from the outside, I would never dream that it is anywhere near as good as it is on the inside. The Sunset Beach high-rises look ratty, and the exterior building aesthetic doesn't do this excellent resort any justice.

FOOD - PERFECT SCORE (5/5) - I am a picky eater and have been to many Caribbean resorts, and I have never had food like this before on a vacation. The terrace restaurant would rival some 5-star restaurants in Toronto, and that is not an exaggeration. The service, ambiance, presentation, and food quality is impeccable. We had about 5 meals at this restaurant; 1 breakfast, 2 dinners, 2 lunches. On the first dinner, there was a performer who sang classic songs over an acoustic guitar and he was awesome. His voice did not overpower the ambiance, and all the covers he chose were excellent. He sang an amazing, soulful rendition of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song". On that evening I had a delicious pumpkin soup, followed by a spinach salad, jerk chicken supreme as the entree, and a chocolate dessert. The jerk chicken was the best I've ever had, and everything else was excellent. The dinner was so good that when I returned a few nights later, I ordered the exact same, and it was perfect again. The only difference was that on this evening, they had a different performer who sang country music over an acoustic guitar. I'm not a huge fan of country, but he picked some great songs including "Ring of Fire" and "The Gambler". The diners and staff joined in and it was just fantastic. At lunch, I had a fish entree that was spectacular, a spinach soup and I forget what else. At the breakfast, I had eggs benedict and bacon, banana bread, and a fruit platter. I didn't leave a crumb on my plate.

The terrace restaurant was so good that it pretty much hogged the spotlight from the other restaurants, that were almost equally exceptional. As good as I thought the terrace was, my wife's favorite meal was at the Jamaican a-la-carte called "Byron's". It's not an enclosed restaurant, since they essentially convert a dining area close to the beach to an a-la-carte option, but the food is top notch. We ordered 3 appetizers, which were all small portions, but tasted great --- akee and codfish, tiger shrimp, and avocado rolls. I went with the jerk chicken and my wife had the fish. We had ice cream with fried plantain for dessert. It was just delicious. We also tried an indoor a-la-carte called the "Blue Mahoe", and I forget what I had, but remember it being excellent. We skipped the Italian and Asian restaurants so I can't say anything about those.

The buffet is very good. At breakfast, you'll find a typical assortment of foods; fresh fruit, omelettes, french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, etc. The lunch was pretty good too. I thought the soups were excellent and my wife loved the pasta. We also enjoyed the dinner buffet. Once a week, the dinner buffet is hosted close to the beach. They have a live steel band play during dinner and they were great. Also once a week, the buffet is hosted in the large stage area, and they serve buffet food of all varieties --- Asian, Italian, Jamaican, etc. I really enjoyed it but the stage area gets packed quickly so arrive early.

DRINKS - VERY GOOD (4.5/5) - My favourites were the banana daquiries from the pool and stage bars, since they are made with fresh bananas at those two locations. The bananas do run out quickly though, so try to get those fresh banana daquiries early, otherwise you`ll have to settle for banana liquor which is far less tasty. If you are not big on alcohol, make sure you ask for a little less, because the mixed drinks are quite strong by default. I did not try every possible drink, but 90% of what I did try was very good. The wine wasn't great, but still was better than wine I have had at other resorts. The fresh fruit smoothies at breakfast were amazing. The coffee in Jamaica is something special --- we were looking forward to it, and were not disappointed. There is a coffee/tea counter just past the Banana Walk restaurant that is available 24 hours.

ROOM - MEDIOCRE (3/5) - We stayed in room W114, right across from the waterpark. The location was ideal, the room was clean, and the air conditioning was functional, so all the important factors were accounted for. There were 2 double beds and a bunk bed. We asked for a crib and had one delivered and set up immediately, which was great. The room had an ironing board, a safe, a flat screen TV with a decent selection of channels, a dresser, coat hangers, and good lighting. Aside from that, the room was somewhat disappointing. The washroom was clean, but small, and it looked dirty. The reason it looked dirty was that it was obviously old, and had a lot of wear and tear. That doesn't mean it actually was dirty, it just wasn't very inviting. There was an old school shower/tub combo. The tub was crusty looking and did not have an antislip mat. The water pressure in the shower was good and the hot water plentiful. Unfortunately, we didn't figure out that the hot water only comes if you rotate the tap more than 360 degrees. If you just point the water dial to hot (without the 360 degree rotation), you'll get cold water. There was a vent in the washroom which was nothing more than a flap to the exterior, so you could hear everything from the outside and vice-versa. I probably don't need to elaborate on why that is a little gross. The blow drier was useless. Ladies are recommended to bring their own.

The refrigerator was broken, which we found out later when the baby food we put in there spoiled, which was pretty annoying. The walls were paper thin, which really sucks given that there are a lot of kids at the resort. We had a baby in the room next to us that cried day and night for our entire vacation. I have a kid too, and it's not their fault --- but man, did it ever get annoying. Good thing our neighbors didn't get too freaky, otherwise we would have had to listen to that soundtrack. Also, there was loud music coming from somewhere at night --- not sure where, but it was loud enough to disrupt our sleep. We found out later that all the good rooms are in the "E" wing of the resort. Several staff members mentioned that we should have stayed there instead, because that's where the good rooms are. Those are beach facing rooms, so they are likely more expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for. I will definitely consider them for my next stay.

SERVICE - PERFECT SCORE (5/5) - I will definitely return to this resort not only because of the excellent service, but even if all else were to have been mediocre, I would return solely based on the effort, warmth, and sincerity of the staff at this resort. They were absolutely exceptional. I've been to places where the staff don't do their jobs properly, or do their jobs lacking sincerity or pleasure, and it really takes away from the experience. The team at the Oasis at Sunset is special --- they make you feel truly welcome and seem genuinely pleased to do whatever it takes to make your vacation outstanding. I can be quite a difficult customer, and I'm the type that only tips when I feel it is deserved. I brought $200 in USD for tips, and ran out of tip money. I lost track of occassions where someone really deserved recognition for doing their job with exceptional effort and charisma. I wish I remember all the names of the staff, but I'll do my best:

Mongoose Kids Club: Yineik, Serena, Charmaine, Esmie, Tanasha - We were extremely nervous about leaving our kids at a daycare, but these girls put us right at ease. My daughter took to them immediately and they treated her as their own. She felt so loved in their care. As parents, we could see and feel their care. Much love to the Mongoose Kids Club --- Vienna misses you!

Breakfast buffet crew: Shinique, Damian, Xavier - Shouts out to Shinique and Damian. We miss your infectious smiles and obsequious care. You always started off our day in the best of company. Vienna misses the chickens and roosters at breakfast :). Props to Xavier for making perfect omelettes with ruthless efficiency. This guy would mow through an endless lineup of guests like it was nothing --- making 5-6 quality omelettes at a time. Remarkable work ethic and proficiency at what he does. Much respect.

Terrace Restaurant: Albert and Daneisha. Thanks for making us feel so welcome whenever we were in the restaurant or the lobby. We always felt taken care of when you were around. Shouts out to the other servers as well --- wish I remembered all your names, but you were all great.

Guest Services: Roland really got our vacation off on the right foot. As soon as we entered, he was doing everything he could to make us comfortable. He made our wait in the lobby short and escorted us to our room. When we asked for a crib, he went and got it himself and set it up. He didn't leave us until we felt we were in good shape. Owayne was just a natural with kids --- he smiled at my daughter and she went running to him. They were laughing and giggling immediately. He scooped her up and took her for a walk around the lobby and she was loving it. The staff seemed to have this natural positivity about them that my daughter loved.

GYM - GOOD - (3.5/5) - The spa has a decent fitness room that is well ventilated. There are some freeweights, a bench press, and some univeral machines - chest press, row, shoulder press, dip, crunch, and hamstring curl. Also, there are swiss balls and a very reasonable number of cardio machines that are fully functional. Not bad at all! I didn't try the spa so no comment there.

ENTERTAINMENT - VERY GOOD (4/5) - The daily poolside entertainment wasn't anything special, but the performers at the Terrace restaurant were amazing (see earlier in the review). The steel band was also excellent. Like most resorts, there is a small onsite disco, but we didn't go inside so no comments there. The casino is a typical slot casino --- nothing really interesting there.

BEACH - VERY GOOD (4/5) - The beach is short in depth but decent in length. The sand is well kept and comfortable. The beach chairs are functional, accessible, and well situated. There is a nicely shaded area for those seeking sun refuge. There is a bar at the end of the beach, which is quite convenient. Where the beach is a little lacking is in the cleanliness and comfort of the water and ocean floor. Much of the ocean floor is full of seaweed which gives the water a murky look. Stepping into the water, the sand becomes coarse, sharp, dirty, and uncomfortable. About 10 paces in, the ocean floor becomes a gooey, mushy seaweed swamp. Every step feels quite gross. There is an area towards the end of the beach where the ocean floor is clean and comfortable. You'll see most of the guests in the water there. If possible, pack swim shoes. The great part of the Oasis is that there are two private beaches just for Oasis guests. The first is a topless beach, and the second is a nude beach. Both are well maintained and have staff taking care of them. They also have private servers who bring you drinks on the beach. No cameras, kids, or bathing suits in the nude area. These two private beaches are mostly empty, so you can have all the privacy you want.

THE CONCLUSION:

If you looking for excellent service, amazing food, and a nice beach, you will really enjoy this resort. We are definitely returning. I hope this review was helpful, and if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Happy vacationing!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
20 Thank Malitz
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I traveled alone but did not feel alone since I met great hotel guests and the staff were very welcoming and very friendly.It was a great value overall from the food, the bars, and having complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. I will post pictures, but the photos you see are true to how it looks, even better in person.

Some of the things I really enjoyed that would be great for singles is that they have complimentary night shuttle service to Margaritaville (popular club in the area) on the Hip Strip which is a short ride from the resort.The Oasis is quieter side of Sunset where you can relax, meet a few people, or stay low key. As far as the activities they seem to be a great variety, but I didn't participate in any since I wanted to mainly relax but I did go out on the boat rides a few times and listened to some of the live performances, that was about it.

The property is beautiful, clean, and secure. I went off walking through the resort and the beach at night and felt very comfortable. The only improvements I would say is that the beds are really firm, but I didn't spend a lot of time in my room so it wasn't an issue. The rooms are clean and fully stocked minibar which came in handy for me.

The staff really goes above and beyond. They will treat you so good that you will want to come back again and again. For instance, the manager Lorna let me borrow her modem from her office in order for me to get stronger WiFi signal in my room which was the junior suite. The staff was amazing so I have to recognize the ones that really made my experience at Oasis comfortable and very enjoyable: Fabian, Albert, Tanya, Omar, Roland, Judy Ann, Saundra, Conrad, Ava, and the entire wait staff and bartenders whose names escapes me.

I really look forward to returning again and perhaps next time I'll bring one or two friends.

Room Tip: Try to select the East Wing as it was very quiet and hardly any people traffic. If you want a nice v...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,785 reviews

Been to Sunscape Cove Montego Bay? Share your experiences!