“Good location, lovely hotel but some negative issues”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good location, lovely hotel but some negative issues”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Stayed here in May 2011, we were given a lovely ground floor room at the far end of the resort, this was ok, as enjoyed the walk back to the room at night. Room very nice compared to RDCC in Runaway Bay, only one restaurant at night which was disappointing.
Swimming pool area was very good and the snack bar area was always full, ate here most lunch times.
The beach was quite shingly, but did not spoil my swim as I wore beach shoes.
One gripe is that in the morning only the beach bar was open and this was always busy, so difficulty in getting served, the entertainment team here were not on a par with RDCC Runaway Bay even thou the shows were the same.
One extremely positive remark was the location, I walked Montego strip and felt safe, the tourist police approached us and asked where we wanted to go etc, yes we were asked did we want ganga etc but wherever you holiday locals try to sell their wares.
I would visit here again, but would hope that the entertainment and food were on a par with RDCC Runaway Bay, if I could move staff, food quality and a bar that opens as well from Runaway bay to Montego bay, I would return tomorrow.
Overall fantastic location, lovely hotel and only approx 5 mins from airport

Room Tip: Request room on 1st fllor or a balcony
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank HelenH-E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Okay so I know most people complain about everything but I swear I'm not one of those people! I was really expecting a more than HALF decent resort...we arrived around midnight and there were NO lights what so ever walking to the beach grill outside and frankly with the resort being dead at that time, it was creepy. Everything at the beach grill was dirty, sticky and absolutely filthy, It was pitch black all the time in our hallway when we were coming back to our rooms after midnight we even mentioned it to the workers and he didn't seem to care. Our hairdryer broke and they said twice they would call the maintenance worker who NEVER showed up! You also have to PAY for your safe...which I've personally never heard of. The walls are paper thin so don't expect to get any sleep on your vacation because I was constantly up with my neighbors. The buffet was weak but the a la carte restaurant was delicious. Entertainment was so random and not entertaining at all...The workers were alright and I didn't have any issues with them, but the hotel/resort itself could definitely use some work.! Enter at your own risk.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I just came back, July 11-18 2011, from Royal Decameron and I would have to say I had my concerns after reading some of the reviews. We kept in mind that it was rated a 3 1/2 star resort so we didn't go in with high expectations.
We arrived early in the morning and knew we would have to wait for our room so we spent time walking around the resort getting familiar with everything. When we got our room we noticed a problem with the air conditioning and they sent someone right away. That's when we met Jerry and he helped make this a fun vacation. While he was fixing the air conditioner he let me pick his brain about Jamaica and giving us advice. I have very fair skin so he told me to be out between 8 am to 11 am and that when we shop on h,ip strip to avoid the craft market but every where else we would be okay. I took his advice I didn't get burned and other than taxi drivers wanting to take us places (they leave you alone when you just tell them no) the hip strip was fine. Jerry was great he always stopped by the pool just to say hi and to see how we were, he turned 25 on the Wednesday when we were there so if you are going there soon ask him how it feels to be a quarter of a century, he'll know it was me. If you have any issues with your room ask for Jerry not only will he let you pick his brain but he'll have you laughing.
The hotel is old and yes it could use an upgrade but the rooms are always clean the cleaning staff are wonderful. Our room was over the pool on the second floor and though it was noisy between 9 to 5 we found it completely quiet after dinner.
Which brings me to the food. The buffet had a wide variety and even if you are a picky eater like me you could always find something to eat. Yes there were days when my choices we're limited because I'm picky but there was always fresh fruit and vegetables if nothing else appealled to me. The a la carte restraunt had a great menu of chicken, steak and fish and my suggestion there is that if you are unsure that you'll like the choices on the menu book the early dinner because that way if you are still hungery you can always go to the buffet.
My husband and I found everyone on the cleaning staff, grounds staff never walked by you without saying hello, though the ladies at the front desk could be nicer.
I wouldn't call this a party hotel unless you want it to be. I spent the week by the pool relaxing and recharging my batteries but the entertainment do have activities if you want to participate but no one goes around hasseling you to join in.
Overall this hotel is a great value for your money. The majority of the staff make you welcome and happy to chat with you.
My personal feeling on the hotels rating is that the small buffet and only one a la carte, the evening shows (they are mostly just reggae music and dancing every night) as well as the age of the hotel are what keep it from being rated higher.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ladyspd
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My friend an I stayed at RDMB for 10 days in July, and once again they delivered! We have stayed at other resorts (Breezes, RIU, Secrets), but honestly you can't do much better than RDMB. The intimacy of the hotel affords you the opportunity to make friends with just about everyone there. The location is great, also. You can be at Margaritaville, Blue Beat jazz bar, Pork Pit, and shops on the Hip Strip withn a 10-15 minute walk.

The people who work there are the ones who make your stay there so memrorable...starting from the top...Mr. Bent (the GM) is friendly and approachable, and stopped and talked to us many times. Lee Sinclair took care of some pre-arrival requests we had and went out of his way to make sure we were accommodated, then made sure throughout our stay that everything was ok!

Noble (dining room manager) took time out of his busy schedule to ask us if the food was up to par, and was never to busy to say hello. Kimmarly and Kirk (twin chefs in the dining room) made omelettes and eggs to order and always had a smile on their face.

The bartenders there are fantastic! They helped make our stay so much fun...especially Hoshane, Christopher, and Anthony. They made our time at the bars an experience!

For the money, you can't beat RDMB's location and service. We have already booked again for November, and July 2012.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building (all are oceanfront).
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank CassieBVA
Midlands
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Been back a while now but will never forget our holiday.
This was our second visit to RDH and we will be going again, the hotel had not changed some change in staff ,but those that were there on the whole remembered us, well most of them, they are so friendley and i must say hello to Janet ,in the dining room, the nurse who took great care of my husbands gippy tummy, and our room maid , the staff work so very hard in making your holiday great.
The food is basic but filling a good choice ,how many choices do you have at home , and it is well cooked.
My only gripe about Jamaica is tipping.
Would I return to the R D H yes we are thinking of booking again next year .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mary4302
Meadow Lake, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and two of our friends stayed at the Royal Decameron in February 2011. I have read some of the reviews, and can only shake my head at the ones who have found nothing but negative comments to report. We have vacationed in several countries, provinces, states, and cities, staying in all inclusive resorts, going on skiing vacations, taking cruises, and I can honestly say, without a doubt, our most memorable and enjoyable vacation was the one we had at the Royal Decameron. The staff is unbeatable, the place is clean, the food is very good, and the proximity to the sea is wonderful. We were very impressed and we did not waste any time in booking our next vacation to this resort for 2012.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mommy031
Kitchener
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Our stay started out wonderfully. The second last day, my husband fell leaving the pool area and seriously injured his right knee. He required medical treatment at the local hospital, a cast and special seating on the plane coming home. The steps did not have a center railing which would have prevented the fall.
He was well treated by the nurse, BUT........ the management and front desk people at the resort showed NO compassion, NO remorse and tried to avoid him at ALL costs. They were rude and unprofessional. They didn't even have the decency to pay for the Taxi ride to and from the hospital.
Also, earlier that morning, we were taking out a paddle boat and when he leaned back, the seat broke! Luckily we were close to shore and were able to return safely.
NOTE - both of these incidents were NOT the result of alcohol!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family