“You get what you pay for!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Ok first off when we booked(my bestfriend and I) we thought ok no problem we will stay on resort and we wont have to worry about being robbed or harrassed if we go on strip..... Wrong!! We didnt want to get room cleaned because we didnt want our stuff missing.. But on the second day we said oh ok we didnt think so long story short my pandora bracelet went missing... As im going downstairs to inform the from desk I get stuck in the elevator.... Once there they let security they search ALL my belongings still no bracelet. So after speaking to them they say supervisor will contact you in a.m. which never happen wasnt until 6 pm after repeatedly calling to find out who this person was they say no report was filed. After speakung to this supervisor which said he came to my room which never happen they take us to General manager he said that the housekeeper never saw it and nothing will be dne to compensate me. I asked for a copy of report he flat out says no bc they cant find it! He told me to go to police and file a report. After all of that not getting messages from my fiancee and the food being mediocre I was pissed. I asked for phone to be fixed not until we spoke to general manager it was fixed. Only good part of this this trip was the enetertainment ppl Dale, Baby Boi, Shackena, Sha, Fraz they are the only reasons I came out my room oh yeah I dnt want to leave out the Bartenders from the pool bar and the bar by main stage!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Sincerelyyours09
, General Manager at Royal Decameron Montego Beach, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Sincerelyyours09,

Thanks fo taking the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very important to Improve our services.

The security supervisor that was suppoosed to take a report for your alledged missing bracelet since not reporting by written which is a serious breach to our internal policy is no longer a collaborator of ROYAL DECAMERON MONTEGO BEACH RESORT.

In your review you mentionned : "General manager he said that the housekeeper never saw it and nothing will be done to compensate me. I asked for a copy of report he flat out says no bc they cant find it! He told me to go to police and file a report."

Let me correct what I have said : I told you I will not compensate you. I had no report to give since it didn't exist and ask you if you would like to have a police report. We could have easily called the police, they would have come and make a report or if you wish you clould also go to the station which is a 5 minutes walk which is much faster.

I also have asked you about your stay. How everything was and you didn't mention anything about the food. As you qualify our food of Mediocre, I would love to hear from you and see how can we improve our food quality.

The housekeeper that cleaned your room, whom happened to be the only one to have a key of your room is our employees for 7 years and never had a issue with her. She has been checked and nothing was found on her or in her locker.

The phone repair is something that should have done in 10 minutes from the day you reported but if you remember you had posted the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign to your door and this is something in every hotels in the world that cannot be violated but there were lack of follow up from our part it and there are no excuses for this. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards

RDMB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I wanted to getaway for the memorial weekend, I booked my trip to Jamaica the night before I left, this hotel was one that had a great deal (all Inclusive) for a very low price. I must say at first I was hesitant about staying in Montego Bay because I think Negril is much nicer. We arrived at the Royal Decameron Montego Bay on 5/26/2012 at 9:30am once I got there I absolutely loved it, loved it..The place was so beautiful and you did not get the feel of being in the busy city of Montego Bay at all, all the rooms are ocean view and very clean, the staff at the front desk and the staff at the bars are so helpful and friendly..I did not have to ask twice for anything I needed. The entertainment was wonderful every night I was there my son had a ball, the singers in the lobby performed everyday and they were so entertaining..Hello Joseph (stammer)..

Housekeeping was great (Keisha) you are the best, she made sure my room was very clean everyday and she was soooo nice..I was not able to see her before I left but I will return and I will remember her..Thank Keisha.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would return to Montego Bay only to stay at the Royal Decameron. The food I think was good and fresh, they had a large selection to choose from..The waiters and waitresses were very helpful and attentive to your needs. Trust me I am a very picky person but I must say the Royal Decameron know how to entertain their guests. The guys that work there make sure you're never bored. The employees all smile with you. You have no need to go anywhere else when you are at this resort, they had plenty for you to do and even though its close to the aiport you are not bothered or disturbed by the airplanes, the view is WONDERFUL..I did not want to leave this hotel.. BUT!! I just did not like when the jamaican food ran out because the employees would come from all over the resort to get food from the buffet area and the hotel guests would not get to have enough or any at all, I think that is a little unprofessional..Other from that I loved it there and would definately return again and again...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JamGirl321
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We have frequenlty travelled too many countries in the carribean however this was our first and most definitely not our last trip to Jamaica. We stayed at Royal Decameron the week of May 21-27th /2012. Our expectations were not too high as we were aware it was only a 3/5 star but we were surprised and feel that the hotel is underrated.

We found all the staff friendly and courteous. Always greeting and saying good morning/evening. We went with a group of 5. We found the food good esp. on certain nights there's a bit of everything for everyone. People need to realize that most of the time hotels as such arent going to give you top of the line gourmet food and if thats what your seeking get with a higher rating. The grill - the food was okay not as good as the restuarant food what was good was the self serve drinks at the grill and that it was always clean.

The hotel itself is nice, we did not stay in the main building we stayed in the ocean view rooms ( the seperate smllaer buildings) and it was a nice view. The resort provides many spots for you to relax hammocks,chairs etc. Our rooms were comfortable and cleaned everyday and were provided clean towels. Nothing ever went missing.

Downside... We felt that the pools and facilities were closed too early and that the pools were not cleaned often enough. What would improve this hotel is the bars being 24hrs or at least later consider 24hr as most hotels do, not everyone goes to bed early.

Entertainment- nightly shows were provided.Entertainment cast was generally friendly
Special thanks to Dale, Annief, Mark, Shane!! (the livliest bartender), & Anthony as they always provided a good & humorous time.

Additionally we never feel unsafe outside the resort.

We were content with our trip to J.A that we even look forward to going back in Augus!!.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view rooms not in the main building
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nicas_Cas
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Had booked this hotel over the Riu MB due to the good reviews, but I now wish I paid more attention to the people leaving the reviews. this is definitely a hotel for the older crowd. we finally arrived at the hotel at 3:30pm after a long day of travel with a flight at 5:30 am. Even though it was late in the day, no rooms were available which was frustrating. They also said they didn't have any oceanview rooms available for our first night, but would move us to one on the second night. Note that when we checked in, another guest approached the desk that was very angry because he had been given the whole do-si-do thing on the rooms as well and they STILL didn't have an oceanview room for him available.
We had planned on staying at this hotel 5 nights but only stayed ONE because it was horrible. We had our travel agent promptly switch us to the Riu for the next day.
Other things that were horrible about the Royal Decameron:
when our room was finally ready on that first day, they hadn't provided us with any towels
we were immediately and frequently asked by the staff if we wanted to purchase drugs
upon checkout, they told us we owed money because we didn't turn in our towel keys (completely false). obviously we didn't lose them--we were barely at the property for 24 hours.
Food was disgusting
Staff was not friendly and check-in/out process was LONG and painful
As we were checking out, another angry guest was at the desk complaining that his oceanview room he was promised was STILL not ready. They clearly don't manage their reservations very well in terms of room availability and what they promise guests.

The Riu met all our expectations, had people under 50 on the property, and was extremely clean. and we were NOT offered drugs by the staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CP2369
alainrichard, General Manager at Royal Decameron Montego Beach, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am interested in getting more informations about your stay, such as dates, room number, travel agency used and name. Please feel free to email me the informations at:

arichard "at" decameronjam.com

Regards,

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Oh.... where should I start?? This place looks nothing like on the net. Royal Decameron is old and run down and yes this is from the outside before we even entered the hotel. When my husband and I checked in the concierge had (much)attitude. It took over 30 minutes for us to check in - it was like she couldnt focus on what she was doing. We get to our room and it was like we stepped back in time - I almost cried. The rooms are old and stinking. Instead of maintaining the room it looks like they just threw paint everywhere - horrible. Some days we had water and some days we didnt. If we did have water it was not a study flow of water. The best part of this hotel was in the entertainment - and I do mean that was the only good thing about this hotel. The food was horrible! The only reason that we didnt leave is because we didnt want to lose our money! Please look at what is included in their all inclusive resort (not)- watered down alcohol, left over food and all the gnats you want.

Room Tip: Dont do it!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CeT P
Dear Guest,

Thanks for submitting your review. I am very interested in investigating what went wrong and where we failed in order to improve. Basically if you can email me name, room number and dates of stay that would be a huge help.

Thanks

Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just returned from a week stay and I feel 100% relaxed and happy;) traveled with a group of 8.... with 4 rooms and while the rooms are a little outdated they were very clean and comfortable- my only complaint would be the poor lighting. The pools and beaches were GREAT!!! Loved the beds in front of the pool bar and could have spent my entire week laying there:) my only complaint was having to get up and walk to the bar for a refill instead of having them brought to me. But the music made up for that. The pool side entertainment was always fun from water aerobics to line dancing to games. LOTS of fun. The food was always great- omelets and French toast every morning made me very happy- the only thing that would have improved breakfast? Mimosas. But we did learn to buy a bottle of champaign every morning and make our own. Lunch was fabulous- paninis..... the best. With a great variety of salads, breads, and meats. And if we couldn't find something there- the snack bar always had hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizzas. Dinner was good- sometimes felt repetitive- with oriental night being our least favorite. Only tried the restaurant one night ( they were closed Tuesday and Friday ) but it was very good - a little spicy for a few in our party..... weren't told they could get in less spicy. The entertainment staff was amazing- always went out of their way to make sure everyone was having fun and always working hard at it. Shows were always enjoyable. LOVED Markus at the lobby bar in evenings..... GREAT drinks and super nice. The entire staff always went outbid their way to make us feel welcome. And the entire resort was clean, clean, clean. Highly recommend;)

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank DanielleMayo
Dear DanielleMayo,

Thank you very much for reviewing the hotel. We are very happy ypou appreciated your stay with us. If you feel there are something we could improve please do not hesitate to let me know. As per the food I will gladly review the menu and its whole composition so we can eliminate that sense of repeatitiveness.

Once again thank you. Best regards

ct
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My best friend and I went last week for 5 days to celebrate our birthdays.
ROOM: #34 with double beds was on the second floor with a great view and was at the quieter end of the complex. Flat screen TV, iron & board, blow dryer provided. Small lock box you had to pay a few dollars for the key.No coffeemaker, but you could get some at the restaurant fairly early in the AM. Only one dresser. O/W clean and comfortable.
FOOD:OK. Some pretty bizarre offerings like cream of lettuce soup and cow foot, but I enjoyed the BBQ chicken wings at breakfast one morning. There were always buffet offerings of the more "american" variety as well. We ate one night at the restaurant (reservations need to be made that same morning) and had steak strip that was pretty good. For breakfast, you need to ask the egg making cook for bacon as they don't keep it out.
DRINKS:Some seemed so strong that I couldn't drink them, so stuck to pina coldadas and red stripe beer, but never seemed to get a buzz off them?? My friend had rum and cokes the last night and said she wished she had been drinking them right along.
BEACH/WATER The water was PERFECT! So very clean and just the right temperature with snorkeling right from the beach. There are no long beaches, but there were two with enough sand to lay out in. Others had ladders or stairs where you could get in to swim or snorkel. DO TAKE THE SNORKELING TRIP with Captain Poly! price was reasonable and worth it. Snorkel gear included and by using a life preserver I could really relax and enjoy it. Be sure and bring beach shoes, or be VERY careful, we spoke to someone who had also stepped on a sea urchin.
STAFF: We found the entire staff to be friendly and helpful. I brought a number of singles to leave tips for servers and bartenders. They did appreciate it. No one ever bothered us about transferring to the other hotel like some have said.
GIFT SHOP: Be careful! Everything is marked in Jamaican $$. Be sure and ask for the price of each individual item in US$ then figure out total yourself. My friend was over charged, but then given correct change when she questioned it.
OUTSIDE/TRIPS: We did venture outside the complex ourselves a few times. Went to outfitters and strawberries (where you get a free phone call with your purchase) and bought some things from Sofias's stand. You will get pestered. Some will say" remember me?? I was your bartender", "I remember you, you broke a magnet in my shop" etc.... Just say no thank you.
If you say I'll see you on my way back, they WILL NOT forget. Items at the airport were very pricey. The only trip we went on was to luminous lagoon. It was NOT very luminous :(

Biggest downer was the cost of the phone calls to the US. $2 fee for every call and $2 per minute. $20 deposit and they WILL let you know when that is low and you have to go to the front desk and give them more $$. You can rent a phone in the airport for $10 a day with unlimited minutes. next time...
I took showers in early AM. Pressure and hot water aplenty. The later it is in the day, I think the worse the amount of hot water and pressure is.

I hope to get back to here again someday...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear KATNIP CT,

It has been a pleasure serving you and it's nice to hear you enjoyed your Caribbean Vacations to ROYAL DECAMERON MONTEGO BEACH RESORT.

I notice you mentioned the hot water pressure which have a logical explaination: We have change our heat exchanger not long ago and therefore since the property is very old a lot of leaks had appeared here and there and are presently still working on fixing those leaks. Rest assure those wiñll be fix at your next visit. ;)

Regards