“Best Hotel in Jamaica”

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Bahamas
“Best Hotel in Jamaica”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Just returned from staying here for the second time and already I'm planning when to go back.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and go out of their way to give you a great holiday and help you in away way they can. The water sports they offer are excellent and all for free with great staff teaching you. Hotel is very clean and looked after, with staff cleaning the grounds and raking the sand from very early in the morning. Only thing I think could be improved is the bathrooms, which are getting to be dated, but still clean.
Excellent food, something different at the buffet every night and always delicious.
Only downside I experienced was the Beach Party they had one night, right by my room and it was ridiculously loud, which was not needed, especially when it wasn't that busy and was 11:30 at night!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the centre away from cabaret stage and pool bar where they may have a beach party once a we...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank JaneSimpsonBahamas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Let me start off by saying that upon arrival I was a little disapointed in my room. The location and look of it left me feeling unsure about my stay. This isnt the worst hotel but I certainly wouldnt stay in a place like this in the States. But there are a few points I want you guys to know

I traveled there from 10/4/13-10/13/13. It was a group of 7 with 3 rooms total. 2 of the rooms were decent enough clean bathrooms and working AC. My room however the bathroom was NASTY. It looked worse than the projects and left me uncomfortable. The the AC unit had some mold looking stuff on it and I refused to use it for fear I may breath in something terrible. So we opted to open the doors and use the fan. No problem

The staff at the front desk are rude and really not helpful at all. We had to find out everything from other workers such as the waitstaff.

The food was so/so some days good some days terrible but that was to be expected with buffets.
THe waitstaff I love.... Shana Kay, Kerry Ann, and Omar were the best. They treated my entire party so good. I love them!!!!!! They were polite and helpful

Housekeeping was cheap with towels we had to complain to get fresh ones several times. Matter of fact they felt like sandpaper anyway so bring your own. Beach towels too!!!!

The entertainment..... The ENTIRE entertainment crew is awesome. Whether you see them at breakfast or performing they are friendly and energetic. There are various things going on throughout the day like at the beach or near the stage.. they are just awesome. I love Peppa, Chocolate, Sprinkles and Dimiri-- watch out for him, he is a character. Just kidding Lol Love them all they keep the place lively and fun.

I rated the hotel at a 3 because of the staff above. Had it not been for them I would have hated my stay here and rated the place a 1. They would be the only reasons I would consider coming back, honestly and truly.

So overall if you want a livable place to sleep while in MoBay then this will do but if you want luxury or atleast a US standard of stay then spend more money somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Nataya H
texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We chose this facility as it was within five minutes from the airport and based upon other posts decided to try a smaller resort, which we were glad we did. Immediately upon arrival you see the ocean (ahhh), check in was a 5-10 minute process, the room was okay but the view more than made up for that, eating breakfast, lunch, dinner steps from the water..oh my, sitting at the bar and watching the sun set..priceless! Met great people from the UK, Scotland, Canada and Cali, the nightly entertainment folks did an outstanding job keeping up from being bored. Sprinkles, Chocolate, the MC and other lady you guys are awesome and can dance! Bar10Ders Kaleisha, Westside, Landford and others you make yummy drinks. The water sports gus Ivan (aka BooBoo) were equally awesome. Dining area Kim, Atkeem and others you guys were so kind and sweet thanks for making breakfast and lunch pleasant. They all knew us by name and knew what drinks we wanted at dinner and at the bar. The food choices are okay my hubby got creative and made us turkey and ham sandwiches, the salad bar is okay; however, if you want jerk chicken go off the resort. Hot water water was hit or miss. Our room was by the outside massage huts and the hammocks. Others have tried the fancy schmancy resorts; however, they return to RD because the hospitality and friendly people you get to know over the days makes up for the lacking of little things!

Room Tip: Older section (rooms 20 - 36) are okay, no loud pool music or club music.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MassageGyrl
Sainte-Adele, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We went for one week in September, 2013, and I'd be ready to go back right now, for two weeks. There are few other places that I could say that about. This is more than a 3*. You will eat here like in a 5+*, and it is extremely clean. The people are so kind, they just are willing to help you out whenever you need it, with a smile and a courteous way. We will return here. Being close to the airport, we thought it would be loud, but no, I think the water absorbs the noise. We did the catamaran one day, and the Young man (Yan) was very helpful with our questions about the coral reefs and the Jamaican life in general. Barman Langford and his accolyte Andrew made us laugh and were a good time. Pool Entertainment made us pass a good time during the day, though sometimes the music was way too loud. Loved it when he put reggae music, but some of the other music got to be stressful. Have you ever gone to a hotel resort where the bathrooms by the beach actually smell good? Well, this is the place! It was cleaned regularly and always was fresh. This was a very pleasant aspect for me, the cleanliness. The people at this resort represent very well their country. I WILL return here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sylvanne_75
Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This hotel is in a great location, not far from the airport and within walking distance to Hip Street. The staff are wonderful, very friendly and helpful,the entertainment staff work really hard to keep everyone happy there is a lot of audience participation when the shows get going but they don't push it if your not happy joining in. This resort also has it's own night club which doesn't cause a problem with noise. The two restaurants are good one is buffet style with lots of selection and the other is sit down waiter served, the menu doesn't change but going here once or twice makes a nice change. I traveled here with my husband and daughter but would not have a problem going here alone we all had a great time and will defiantly go again :))

Room Tip: This hotel has very few garden view rooms almost all are ocean view I was on the pool side and my da...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank KitchenerCanadaExpat
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Decameron in June 2013, third time around for him and second time for me. On arrival we were given a garden view room which appeared to be ok but later we found out there was a problem. We reported it to reception staff and in no time we were upgraded to another room. As we only booked a weeks vacation we decided we would stay for another week. By then the hotel was fully booked up but the admin manager pulled out all the stops to ensure we got the extra week. To the general manager I say Shadene is an asset to your team Everyone was really friendly and welcoming. Food was good especially the jerk chicken, very tasty. We really enjoyed the entertainment and the dancers are brilliant especially Sidique (not sure about the spelling) Why hasn't anyone mentioned him? He is hot and so are the rest of the dancers. One request I have though, I think once weekly there should be a party night for the guests where we can dance the night away to Authentic Jamaican music That would be really enjoyable. I know there is a disco after the show, but that is geared towards the younger age group. What about the 50 plus age groups? We don't really want to retire to bed at 11pm. Perhaps instead of show time, for one night of the week we could have that party. Think about it!! I would like to mention a few names who treated us like family. They are Shadene, Noble Carlos, Sprinkle,r Dr Drey, and Pepper. Thank you for making our vacation a very enjoyable one.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Gallied
Ohio
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Montego Beach September 18-26th. We had room 114 right by the pool. We loved this room with one exception when ever the red headed guy on the entertainment crew showed up the music became unbearably loud! So much so to give you a headache and everyone at the pool was annoyed and some driven away. On the other hand when Sprinkles on the entertainment crew was doing the music the volume was perfect, loud enough but not vibrating us off our patio. We found the service to be good our air conditioner broke at 11pm one night they offered to fix it first thing in the morning or move us to another room when the A/C tech on duty could not fix it. We chose to stay in the room with the ceiling fan going which was a little sticky but not too bad for one night. Another tech arrived 9:30am and promptly fixed it. The next day it started leaking all over the floor and again was fixed promptly and remained in good working condition the rest of the stay. Our room was cleaned very well every day as well mostly by Ms. Camelia who was a sweetie. Service in general was good all over the resort.

I find it odd people complain the food is bland we found the exact opposite to be true. As an example there was white rice on the buffet almost every night and for lunch too. May have looked like the same thing but it was flavored different every day. As an example one day it had ginger and tarragon the next garlic and peppers etc. etc. We found the food to be good especially on Monday and Friday nights which the buffet was Jamaican themed. There was a different theme each night. We ate in the reservation restaurant two times and found the beef to be greatly improved, tender and tasty compared to our last visit. The omelet lady at breakfast was great and she made great panini grilled sandwiches at lunch too. There is a little white crane type bird that hangs out on the sidewalk in front of the buffet restaurant at breakfast he/she prefers egg should you like to give the bird a treat.

The bartenders at the pool bar were very friendly. Fitzroy made the best drinks and I learned to play dominoes from Eliscia. Made sure to visit the older rasta gentleman at the craft tables he's very nice and has great wood carvings. We didn't partake in much of the evening entertainment but what we did see was nice.

Will we visit the RDC again? There is a good possibility as you can't beat the value of this resort and how close it is to the airport. Love to have another room by the pool if the volume of the music is kept at a reasonable level.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!