I booked and pre-paid for an ocean view room. What they gave me was a dingy, dirty room with no view of the ocean. Apparently, they were hoping I wouldn't notice. When I arrived at the hotel, the rather unpleasant woman at the desk told me simply "you're in room 228". After a few minutes in the room, my wife and I noticed that the bottoms of our feet had turned black from the dirt on the floor. We also noticed that we couldn't see the ocean from our room. So, I went back to the front desk to complain. This time, I spoke with the front desk manager, who told me that "she (the person who checked me in) should have told you that we didn't have any ocean view rooms left" and they were sold out.
They moved us to an ocean view room on the second day. Even that was difficult. The same woman who had checked me in told me that I would have to check-out of my first room and wait in the lobby with my bags until 3:00 pm to check-in to my new room. When I asked why I couldn't leave my bags in the first room until they had a new room available, she said simply "that's our policy". I responded that their policy should be to give people the rooms they paid for.
I also spoke with the front desk manager about an adjustment in price for the first night, since they hadn't given me the room I'd paid for. He told me that they hadn't yet been paid by Travelocity (who I'd booked through), so I would have to work a price reduction through them. When I did so, however, Travelocity told me: "As per your request, we contacted Hotel and they denied for the refund. Also hotel has received a payment in full. We thereby regret to inform you that we will not be able to provide you with any form of refund at this point of time." You have to be kidding me. Apparently, they think it's okay to charge you for one room, give you something worth much less, and not at least refund the price difference?
Fortunately, the second room they moved us to was nice and the location of the resort was good. The food was okay overall - sometimes good and sometimes not. The service, however, was rather slow (largely, because they seemed to be short staffed). That apparently explains why so many people routinely tipped the bartenders, even though tips were supposedly included in the all inclusive price. There was even a "tip bowl" next to the omelet station (letting us know that tips were expected?)
I don't think I would have returned to this resort, even if I hadn't experienced the problem with the first room. There are much nicer all-inclusive resorts available. But after the way they handled this reservation, I definitely won't be back. And I'm now disputing (through my credit card company) their refusal to give me a price reduction even though they gave me a room much worse than the one I'd pre-paid for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located five minutes away from Montego Bay International Airport near the commercial district and the Hip Strip, Royal Decameron Montego Beach is a beachfront property on white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters. Its facilities and ensure a relaxing holiday environment. This hotel has two restaurants, PassaPassa and Souk, where you can enjoy different international and regional dishes. During the day, you can partake in different recreational activities including dance lessons, aerobics and non-motorized water sports like kayaks, sailboats and diving lessons in the pool. In the evenings, enjoy our shows and dance till you drop at the disco of the Royal Decameron Montego Beach hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Royal Decameron Montego Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack Tar Village
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Bay
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Montego Bay Jamaica
- Montego Beach
- Decameron Montego Bay
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach All Inclusive