“Really Great Time”

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
whitewater,wi
“Really Great Time”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was my first time in MoBay, but my 6th time in JA, and I will go back. My girlfriend & I did an "Attitude Adjustment" get away and that' exactly what it was.
Judy had never been out of the US, so I thought it best to stay close to airport. Our travel agent found RD, so we decdied it was perfect. It was!
The front desk crew was super! The room was very comfortable. The patio was our favorite, well, next to the pool. Never had a problem getting a lounge chair & Paris made sure we had floats.
Best time ever! Can't wait to go back!

2 Thank davesgirl50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

this was my 6th time in Jamaica, 2nd time in Montego Bay and the best part of the Royal Decameron was it's proximity to the airport. We landed at 10am and were on the beach by 11:30 (took FOREVER to get the pre-paid shuttle to the hotel). We didn't care that our room wasn't ready since they held our bags.

On the plus side - the rooms were huge and well maintained. We were at the newer building I think and aside from it being pretty basic with no toiletries, having that much space and such a nice balcony with such a great view was wonderful. They kept it clean and we only had one maintenance issue (which did take forever to get addressed).

Food was average/good - a la carte restaurant was horrible.

Only downside to the trip, really, was the front staff. I think that's more the Jamaican way, though, in that they are so relaxed and everything is so "no problem" that it's hard to get through to them. But, it didn't really affect our trip.

Given the price and the location, I would go back.

2 Thank srddc
Prior Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 April 2014

If you are looking for a party place with all the bells and whistles, go somewhere else. If you want a resort where the staff are friendly, the atmosphere is relaxed and there are plenty of loungers for everyone, this is the place for you.
There are only 142 rooms in the whole place. I think 140 of them face the ocean. Unlike larger resorts, just about every room is steps away from the water. The rooms were perfectly fine. Water pressure was good, the mattresses were a little hard, but not bad. My wife prefers a firmer mattress, so she liked the beds. The pillows were a bit on the stiff side, but if that is the worst complaint (and it is) I can't imagine worrying about it.
I was amazed how many different English-language television stations we got in the room. I could keep up-to-date on March Madness as well as Premiership Football. We didn't spend much time in the room, but it was nice to have when we wanted it. The air-conditioning unit worked fine and it was great to have the remote to change it as we needed.
The food was fine. The buffet was mostly pretty generic, but there was always fresh fruit and you could get a few items made-to-order at any meal. There is also a restaurant that is open for dinner. You make reservations at breakfast. There does not appear to be a limit to how many times you can go in a week. We went twice. I recommend the Jerk Chicken. The resort also has a snack bar by one of the beaches that is open for lunch and late-night snacks. It serves standard burgers, fries, wings, hot dogs. It also has self-service beverages, including Red Stripe.
All the bar staff were excellent. My wife was constantly asking for "something cold and fruity with rum" and the bar staff came up with a fabulous variety of concoctions. If you like smoothies, order a "dirty banana." Once I had one, I don't think I had any other mixed drink the entire time we were there.
The swimming was great. I've read a few reviews that said the resort lacks for beach. It has five different swimming areas. Some are beach walkouts and some are more like a boardwalk. I loved the fact that we could go from one area to another depending on what we wanted. If you want to snorkel, go to the rocky areas. If you want to relax with your toes in the sand, go to the sandy bottom areas. If you want more excitement, use the trampoline area. Just remember, if you are in a rocky area, wear some sort of water shoes.
If you like snorkeling, this is definitely the place to come. My wife and I snorkeled the coral in the swimming areas and saw a ton of variety, including two sting rays and a puffer fish. All of that was within the buoys of the swimming area. There was a constant stream of boats for hire that would take you about five minutes out to an even better area where you could snorkel for an hour. Prices are around $20 per person. We even met a couple who had snorkeled over to Doctor's Cave from our beach.
I am not really interested in the entertainment at the resorts, so I tend to avoid it. One great thing about the RD is that you can go to a different part of the beach if the entertainment crew is getting a bit loud. Also, I did not go in either of the pools with the ocean right there. The people in the pool area seemed to be having a good time. I suppose the swim up bar helped with that. There was also a late night disco that opens at eleven. I went in twice and never saw another person in there. Maybe they need to open it right after the evening entertainment. I think all the party people head to Margaritaville.
The only bad thing I can say about the place is that it is in Montego Bay. I wasn't a big fan of Mobay. I found the "hip strip" to be mostly closed businesses. I had expected a reasonable number of bars and restaurants and there just wasn't much there. If you are looking to stay on property or only do trips to other places, however, you can't beat the Royal Decameron. I even enjoyed watching the planes land just next to our resort. They don't come in at night and give you something to watch during the day.
If I were ever to go back to Montego Bay, I would definitely stay at the Royal Decameron again.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, get a room in the building far from the pool. Also, the rooms in the recently re...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank basa13
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I'm a bit late at putting in my review therefore I apologize, but I thought better late than never since I rely on people input here all the time, so it's only fair!

Stayed at the RDMB December 30-Jan 6th. We couldn't have been more pleased! Upon check-in we were offered to be upgraded to another hotel (RIU Montego Bay), not sure why?? Still don't know why! lol. Anyway after much hesitation and after they showed us a room, we decided not to take the 2 day stay at the 5 star, I enjoyed the vibe as soon as I entered the lovely breezy lobby and plesant bell boy. The rooms are basic, (we were on the 2nd floor, Room 205) no frills, but extremely clean and a nice view of the sunset at night. The hot water did act a little funny just a few times but no big deal...was never freezing cold, just a few cold blasts, but that was it.

The beach towels that everyone complains about, not sure what they are talking about?? NEVER had an issue with clean beach towels, always available. Thought we would have had an issue being New Years and all but none whatsoever.

Grounds are beautiful, entertainment staff are wonderful people and always helpful and wanting to get people involved. I truly enjoyed their company.
What I mostly loved about this hotel was the fact that you were able to be on one side which was a bit more quiet, smaller beach but enjoyable and on the other side there were activities, the pool, the beach beds and the ocean in which you can jump into and enjoy the sunbeds and trampoline in the ocean as well. LOVED IT! The music was louder but we loved every minute. Then the middle section you were able to lay on the beach with a shade cover, whatever makes you comfortable! Lots of options! Also there is another little beach area that is quiet and has a mini resaturant you can get lunch, its not buffet.
Food was excellent! I was plesantly surprised, I was expecting a 3 1/2 star quality but I must say I always found something good to eat every day and I'm a picky eater! Breakfast was a bit repetitive but which breakfast options aren't. I was especially impressed at the New Years eve dinner, there were many options and soo much food! It was fantastic!

Entertainment at night was fun, I usually hate AI hotels but I actually found myself wanting to check out the shows. They also provide a free shuttle a few nights during the week (11pm - 2am) if you want to hit Margeritaville or Pier 1. Some of the staff also join....so everyone is having fun!

Only negative comment I have to say is that the lobby staff isn't very knowledgeable. Sorry I have to say, I went back and forth several times beacause my friend and I wanted to get massages. They told us to knock on the door (massage area) we did and no one answered. (I did this twice) The front staff wouldn't call them and neglected to tell us that they do the massages in the canopy near the water....I realized that the last day! I was mad!!

Anyhow, regardless of the non-efficient front desk, the vacation and hotel was wonderful! I would consider going back and I enjoyed Montego Bay and especially the location of the hotel to the airport! Under 10 mins! Loved it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TdotSL
yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had an issue when we arrived, we came from another resort and check out was noon, and check in was suppose to be 3 at Royal Decameron, for some reason they claimed there wasn't a room ready, although they weren't booked, and couldn't get in a room till after 4, I was disappointed as we were only staying one night, BUT other than that the buffet was good, service was good, and the place is older but well kept and clean. Loved the small beach area, loved watching the planes come in ( close to airport) we would stay here again, Simply disappointed in the 4+ hours it took us to get a room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Westlock, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Our first time to Jamaica and so glad it was at the Royal Decameron. The somewhat smaller hotel atmosphere totally added to the Jamaican experience. ALL the workers from the bar staff to the waiters/waitresses, to the housecleaning staff to the fabulous entertainment crew were all amazing. They work long hours and always had a smile, joked with us, laughed with us and made us feel so welcome all the time. We were on 2nd floor with a fabulous oceanfront view with breathtaking sunsets every evening. We had a comfy king bed with a table and 2 chairs, flat screen TV (even though we never turned it on), a dresser, large wardrobe mirror, large patio with 2 chairs and table, fairly large vanity in bathroom with tub/shower. Everything in our room worked great. The food in the ala carte restaurant was delicious but we preferred the buffet. The selection was always changing and there was always plenty of everything and variety from soups, meats, veggies, fruits, desserts, salads, juices and more. Ate way too much! Yes each bartender has their own version of how a drink should be made, but that was part of the fun and with 3 bars to choose from you could easily go to the same bartender if you really wanted to. Front desk staff were always friendly and eager to help with whatever they could. WiFi was only available in the lobby area and there were 2 computers available if you didn't have an iPhone. The beach area was small, but very clean, raked every evening. Very nice lawn chairs on the beach areas and nice lounge chairs by the 2 pools and along one of the boardwalks on the beach. Good snorkeling right from the beach with lots to see. Kayaking, windsurfing, catamaran snorkeling all avail free at the hotel. Only about 10 min from the airport which was great not to have a long bus ride after our flight. It was cool watching the big jumbo jets fly in right from our hotel (and surprisingly not noisy). Was great to be able to walk right out of our hotel onto the Hip Strip for some great shopping whether it was in air conditioned stores or the many little craft markets. Margueritaville was only about a 10 min walk down the strip and a definite must see both day and night. Another great thing was being able to drink the water! Never having to worry about having bottled water to brush teeth etc.
All-in-all it was a fabulous holiday. We definitely plan to return....and soon!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms 204-212 - great view, best access to beach, bar, restraints without needing eleva...
1 Thank Joan G
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

what can i say i loved every moment of my holiday the food was perfect the place was absolutely spotless my hut was so nice i want 1 built in my back garden The staff are just amazing i was made to feel welcome from the transfer at the airport to the hotel ive never felt so more wanted and at home and when leaving was made to feel like i was going to be so missed like leaving home im defo arranging to return nxt yr
the entertainment staff were great the energy they had was amazing the bar staff put a smile on your face and a drink in your hand so quickly the whole staff from cleaners to management were amazing
the beaches the water the coral reef everything about this hotel was excellent
all i can say for a rated 3.5 hotel it was way more than i expected
my last words are I'm going back home asap

Room Tip: all hut rooms are great i recommend them rather than the apartments even though the apartments are l...
1 Thank tania w