“Nice place”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Small but a nice place to visit. I have been to this resort 4 times and will keep going back. Jamaica is beautiful and being able to walk the hip strip from the hotel is good. People always trying to sell their goods but each country I've been to they all do the same. I would recommend the hotel to the middle class people as it is a 3 1/2 star with a 5 star heart. Keep up the good work royal decameron beach resort.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Barb Z
Write a ReviewReviews (3,226)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I traveled to Montego Bay last week for 5 days with a friend of mine. It was a great experience. Everyone was extremely helpful and food and drinks were also really delicious. Met lots of new people and became friends. This location is very nice becasue it is close to night clubs and the downtown Montego Bay area. I would say that the price I paid for this trip was a good spending and I will totally go back again!

2  Thank amina a
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I visited the Royal Decameron in April with a group of friends (4 couples) for a few days of fun and we were not disappointed. The biggest thing for me was the fact that they were not very crowed; we never had a problem finding empty beach chairs. I am not a fan of the over crowed larger resorts so this place was perfect in that respect. For the most part the food was average, however I would give extra points to the reserved dinners at the restaurant on site, which were great. The rooms and resort as a whole was always clean and the views from just about anywhere on the property are amazing. Another big plus was the staff, AJ, Sprinkles, David, TT, Kim, Landford, and Marco to name a few, were all really friendly and blast, which made the experience that much better. I would diffently go back here. This place is by no means a five star resort but you will not be paying 5 star prices. This a truly a place to go and relax and have a good time and that is just what we did!

1  Thank James V
Reviewed 16 April 2014

To start, I have been to Jamaica 7 times. We've stayed at the RIU, Secrets, Holiday Inn Sunspree, Sandals, and the Royal Decameron. I absolutely love this little hotel. The price is outstanding for the services you receive, and that's why we keep going back.

The positives for me are:

The Sunsets are amazing, so close to the aqua blue water,

The snorkeling is very good, take a piece of bread or banana and it's even better.

So close to the airport. Once through customs, you're in your resort in less than 15 minutes.

The size of the hotel, easy to navigatge, never have to save a chair anywhere. There are plenty of lounge chairs in each section of the resort.

The dining very relaxed, plenty of room, don't have to fight for a table, food above average overall, can always find something different and good to eat.

Close to hip strip and Cornwall beach, if you want to shop and interact with the Jamaicans. I play soccer with the Jamaicans on Cornwall beach on Saturday mornings.

I'd recommend going to the market behind the stores. Walk down the back alley and support the local / Jamaicans. Don't be afraid. Everyone back there was very appreciative of us coming back there. They don't get the same traffic the hip strip does. A lot of the gift shops are indian owned, and you may not be supporting the Jamaican economy.

The staff, overall a pretty happy outgoing bunch. Especially bartender Elisha. She has a smile for everyone, whether you tip or not.

Drinks were very good, no complaints there at all. At some of the resorts we've stayed beer was skunky or flat, but not here.

Negatives for me. You can't take a long walk on the beach, but you can out the front door.
We went for a long walk several mornings on the hip strip.

The bathrooms are definitely outdated and could use some updating.

It is a bit older hotel and does show some wear and tear, To me this hotel has a lot of character. It was probably built in the 60s, I wouldn't be suprised if it was one of the first hotels in Montego Bay.

Activity staff, if that's your thing, a lot of times what's scheduled doesn't always seem to happen. I think it depends more on how easy it is to get people involved. Because it's a smaller hotel, it seems to be a little more difficult than some of the other resorts.

That's it. Hope that helps someone.

Room Tip: If you love sunsets and being close to the water, you'll love this place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhags3
Reviewed 16 April 2014

You won't please everyone, and every hotel has it's problems. WE booked several months in advance because we were 5 older women and wanted to make sure we got adjoining rooms on the main floor. I even phoned the hotel the day before we left to make sure we would get that request, we ended up on the 3rd floor 5 rooms apart. They wouldn't budge. We had to request an extra set of towels several times, we never did get a clock for our room, and they give you one bottle of water that you have to refill yourself daily. Food was excellent, rooms and resort was very clean, most employees were pleasant and helpful. One waiter, Kitson, was excellent and took very good care of us. Entertainment was pretty good at night, just a couple of nights it was very loud and boomed up to our room. There's not much beach to walk, and swimming area was limited. Pools were good but closed at 5 p.m. Drinks were plentiful but you were on Jamaican time, so don't be in a hurry........for anything. Relax and enjoy the heat, sun and amazing sunsets. Would I go back, no, but it was okay.

Room Tip: you can't choose a room, they just put you anywhere they want
1  Thank 2oldbroads
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My friend and I stayed here on 6th September for one night before I returned to the UK. We are both in our mid-20's. On arrival we were met by a hotel porter who gave us a really friendly welcome and got us some 'mocktails' from the bar while we waited for check in - throughout our stay the staff were all extremely nice!

The room itself was very nice - we had a scenic view from our balcony and the room was very clean (so clean it smelt of bleach when we arrived)! The bath and shower are a little small but overall we couldn't complain.

The resort itself, in my opinion is a little dated....needs a little bit of TLC in terms of replacing the pool tables and other leisure equipment. They could also provide better information about activities happening at the resort and perhaps recommend some of this on check in. We were only staying for one night and we were keen to do as much as possible and unfortunately missed out on a lot of things as we had been unaware they were happening.

The food was very disappointing at lunch. My partner ordered a pasta dish that the chefs cooked in front of him and when we tasted it, it was the blandest thing ever. Maybe they are trying to cater to the British and North American clientele but the food just was really poor. My friend is Jamaican and I had just spent six months living in Kingston so perhaps are taste buds were a little more developed but I reckon if you are coming to Jamaica, you should have the opportunity to experience this wonderful food to the highest level.

At night we booked a table at one of the restaurants on site and it was really nice...good service...plenty of wine and nice food so that made up for it somewhat.

Overall, we had a nice time here but for the amount that we paid, I definitely think I could have got so much better elsewhere so in that respect I was disappointed. This hotel was probably great about 5-10 years ago but is definitely in need of a lift. I wouldn't completely dismiss this if you are looking for a nice place to stay close to the airport but I would definitely shop around first as your money does not go as far as you think.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jadey1988
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've stayed at more luxurious hotels in the past... although this may not be a 5 star resort, it was still AMAZING! Super clean, every room is pretty much oceanfront... great staff... good food... close to EVERYTHING. 5 minutes from the airport (if even). 5 minute walk from the "Hip Strip" (All local shops/restos and nightclubs ie: Margaritaville). If you're expecting a 7 mile long beach like Negril, then you will not be pleased, BUT if you want, beautiful water, a decent sized beach, lots of chairs, nice pool with a swim up bar... THIS IS YOUR PLACE! Seriously, so nice. Crowd was kinda mixed, couples and singles. I reccomend this place 100%!

Room Tip: Everything is ocean view!! Only tip: Ask for something on floors 2, 3 or 4, just so you have a bette...