“Paradise”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 7 May 2010

If you're reading these reviews and wondering if you should try out Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel, think no longer and start booking. Every member of staff went out of their way to assist us. I read in a couple of earlier reviews that the reception staff had been a little unhelpful, but when we stayed at RDMB we were treated with the utmost respect. Thank you Lee, Melody and Sharnakay on front desk for all your help. The hotel is very clean and you will always see someone cleaning, painting or tidying. Every morning after a banquet of a breakfast we headed over to the pool bar to join in with the fun and games provided by the Entertainment Team - Sunshine, Happy, QQ, Twilight, Zulu, Chris, Styler and Sean we love you guys to the max and will definately be back next year! The bar staff were so attentive, and once they got to know what you drink, you simply had to sit down at the bar and they were refilling :) Oh man - happy days! Special thank you to Fluffy, Conroy, Christopher and Dwight:) I now have all the ingredients for the famous hummingbird and it tastes GOOOOD! lol. Alternatively, if you are looking for peace and quiet, you will not be disturbed. There are plenty of places to lay and relax in the warmth of the sun. There are three small private beaches, and enough sun loungers and canopies for everyone.

Although there are three places to eat; the Zouk restaurant (you need to reserve a table), the main dining room and the Beach Grill Bar, we mainly ate at the main restaurant. There was so much variety, you simply could not complain. I am very limited to the things I can eat as I have food intolerances, but I could always find lots of lovely things to eat here. Again the staff were excellent, in particular, Lamar, you little sweetheart, always singing and smiling:) Thank you Lamar and also Demetri -new trainee. Keep up the good work.

If you're heading out on the hip strip and you don't want to buy from the local sellers, then keep to the right hand side of the road, and if approached a polite but firm no thank you is all thats required. In a country where there is no benefit system one has to respect that the Jamaican people need to earn an honest living, so wherever possible I bought a couple of items, but don't be afraid to bargain! It's actually good fun :)

Ok on to tours/taxis etc., Right across the street you will find Fabion, he is an absolute diamond and will not rip you off. Fabion is affiliated with the hotel and you can call front desk and ask them to get Fabion for you. Fabion will then drive into the resort to collect you. Tell him Lady Lex recommended you and he will look after you for sure!!

If anyone would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me on trip advisor. I will provide an honest answer or opinion.

1  Thank Itinually

Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stayed at the Royal Decameron Montego Beach for two weeks over Easter 2010. First holiday in Jamaica but have visited several islands in the Southern and Eastern Caribbean over the last few years, generally staying at three star medium size AI hotels. Chose the RCMB because of the excellent reviews, price, size and proximity to the airport, did not fancy a long transfer after a ten hour flight from the UK. A high proportion of the hotel guests were Canadians usually staying on short breaks up to a week. Weather 31C during the day 24C at night, some heavy rain evenings and at night but “wall to wall” sunshine for 14 days.

The RCMB is located on about six acres of very well kept grounds with a 400 yard frontage onto Montego Bay. Not a modern hotel but well maintained and kept very clean. One of the main areas with the most comfortable sunloungers and plenty of shade is in front of the main accommodation block and consists of a very clean man-made beach with access to the sea via a couple of vertical ladders. Either end of this area is a sandy beach with decent access to the Caribbean, however there are some rocks and I suggest wearing aqua shoes when snorkelling. The hotel was full the whole time we were there but never had problems getting a sunlounger on any of the three beaches. There are two pools one, very small, little more than a plunge pool. The other is “J” shaped with a swim-up bar and many of the games are played here; consequently most of the swimming is in the sea.

Our room 218 is one of the largest I have seen in the Caribbean, with 2 double beds and room for two more beds, sea view slightly obstructed by a small tree. The rest of our party was in 219, also a large room with king size bed and room for more. The rooms were interconnected by a door on the balconies, handy if you have an extended family or small football team! There are no fridges in the rooms, ice-making machines elsewhere, and no tea/coffee making facilities. Power is 110V 50Hz with American flat two pin sockets so a US adaptor is required, although we had one UK three pin socket in the room! A dual voltage travel kettle will boil eventually.

This was my first Caribbean experience of a large, bearing in mind the size of the hotel, entertainment team modelled on the style of the resort hotels in Spain but much better. They worked tirelessly from mid-morning to the early hours and, in my opinion, are entirely responsible for the high rating of this hotel. You are not obliged or pressurised to take part in any of the activities, they will come and introduce themselves and have a chat when you are on the beach or in the bar. This is the fifth Caribbean Island I have visited and have always found the local people helpful and courteous, the Jamaicans are no exception.

After reading several rave reviews regarding the food I was somewhat disappointed, particularly with the evening meal which became repetitive if you are staying for 14 days. Breakfasts were fine with an egg/omelette man and a waffle/flapjack man and the fresh fruit bar was very good. At lunch the main restaurant served a good choice along with a pasta station, decent salad bar and sandwiches made to order. The beach grill was open until 5pm which gave you a second choice or both! The restaurant, with a full hotel, was very busy at dinner until 8pm and poorly lit. Dress code was lax and I cannot understand why some people insist on wearing baseball caps to dinner, place resembled a works canteen at times. Plenty of Caribbean/Jamaican food, which I appreciated, but spicy food can become repetitive and does not agree with everyone. The A la Carte restaurant serving Jamaican fusion cuisine, was very much underused, would have been better with an Italian or Oriental franchise. With the bars open 16 hours/day a few could not stand the pace resulting in collapse and being ignominiously carted off to their room by the entertainment team in the hotel wheelchair.

I usually hire a car for a few days in the Caribbean and tour around with a good guide book. Not advised to in Jamaica due to the poor state of the roads, erratic local drivers, questionable insurance, poor sign posting and my age being over 65 also great care advised by the FCO. There is plenty to see and do on the island and suggest consulting the Montego Bay Forum on this site which offers advice on taxi tours, excursions etc.

If you are looking for a lively time with plenty of activities Jamaica is the place for you - if you are looking for total peace and tranquillity, rest and relaxation then Antigua or St Lucia may be more suitable. The average year round price for the RDMB is 180 USD/day for a twin room all inclusive and represents excellent value for money; do the 500+ room “Ultra All Inclusive” resorts at treble the price offer treble the value, no way!! The photos that accompany this review were taken at 9.30am, shows how many make it for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank popeye66
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We went to RDM for our honeymoon- a very short one week get a way. We had a very nice time at this resort. my husband and i relaxed much on the beach chairs- overlooking the great, big and beautiful ocean. the beaches were divided into three beaches... we loved the beach to the far right- the water was clear and perfect. We especially loved the little chouches that were near the bar area and also overlooking the ocean. the view of the ocean was the best thing about this resort.. it was always bright and sunny when we were there and the water was sparkling and glistening all day long. the drinks were okay, not the best. the nightly entertainment was great on some nights and not so great on other nights. we enjoyed the dance shows the most! the dancers did an amazing job. The staff is very helpful and they try to make everyone feel comfy and right at home. the cleaning guys are alwys walkign around picking up the garbage from the beach and keeping the resort clean and litter free. we didint like sunshine, we thought she was especially rude and tacky AND only liked the old, white men... she would run up to them and sit on their laps and pull them up to dance (only the old, balding, or married white men).
i took a 30 mins massage at the resort, and it was quite peaceful, but the atmosphere was def not like a spa. as a matter of fact, they have NO SPA so if u are looking for a resort that offers body scurbs, aloe wraps, etc... this is not the place to be. they only offer hair braiding (which i did not do) and massages.
the food at the resort was delicious-- we enjoyed all the different options. every night was a different themed night. the menu was mostly jamaican- which i loved (jerk chicken, callalloo, saltfish). didint see ackee though :(
oh and the water pressure sucks... it would change from cold to hot, which was very annoying. and on the VERY last day or our stay, we flushed the toilet- only to realize that it was almost flooding over! yuck! luckliy we were ready to leave so we didint care at all! the rooms were comfortable and the balcony was spacious and nice... we had a pool view to the left , overlooking the ocean.
the disco was lame.. and no one ever hangs out there. ur best bet is to go to margaritaville with the free shuttle that comes around 11:00-11:15pm almost every night. then u can take the shuttle back to the resort at 1:30 am or 2:00am.. we went one night (easter monday) and it was so crowded there, no room to breathe... but everyone looked like they were having a great time!
this hotel is nice for a short getaway, where u are watchign your budget but also want to have a relaxing and fun time-- i would recommend this resort to my friends/families.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nadiashaindra
Reviewed 2 May 2010

This was one of the best holidays i have ever had the staff was amazing, the food was amazing the location was amazing. Everything was brilliant. I had so much fun and stuff to do on the holiday and the e&t staff are great they plays games with you every morning always say hello and make sure you are ok. i never had a dull moment on this holiday. I cried when i had to leave because i knew i would miss jamaica and all the friends i had made there. Everyone here is perfect from e & t staff down to the cleaning staff. The veiw from our sea view room was perfect you could sit out and watch the sunset which was beautiful. I cannot express how much i loved this holiday and i cannot wait to get back there next year. I loved all the staff that were there but all of them made my day especially twilight aka Natasha such a sweetheart and i hope to see her there when i go back. Lamar the Singing waitor is amazing so kind a friendly was brialliant to be around we loved sitting in his section when we ate. Demetri ( Mini Lamar ) another amazing waitor kind friendly and sweet. E&T Staff Happy, Sunshine, QQ, Shane Styla Zulu amazing these guys made my day Happy made me laugh so much. Bar staff are amazing Conroy Dwight Fluffy Simone christopher. these guys made my day too. Smiley made my day aswell the singing cleaner. I would recommend this hotel as it is perfect whether you want to relax or party. It caters for all.

4  Thank El121
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My sister and I have just returned from a trip to Royal Decameron and must admit were a bit worried after reading some of the reviews but needn't have done. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the food and drinks were awesome and the location (even if it is on a fairly main road one side) was superb. We can totally recommend a walk down the hip strip, you may get a little harrassed but a polite 'no thank you' was enough and we never felt unsafe even being two females on our own. The only complaint I could possibly have was that a week was not long enough.........

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank buffyfan731
Reviewed 1 May 2010

We stayed at the Decameron for a week and wish it could have been longer! Everything about this holiday was truly great. We booked it through Thomas Cook and everything went extremely well. We usually book via the web but for this holiday we used one of their branches and it couldn't have been easier. We asked for adjoining rooms as our children are now 13 and 15, too big for a family room. The transfer to the hotel was smooth - literally 5 mins from he airport (so may be too close for some but it wasn't that busy) The people at the front desk were lovely, really nice and very efficient. We never had to queue for anything. Because we wanted adjoining rooms (I think) we were given the penthouse which was amazing. The view was spectacular!, we even had a lounge and as far as I know this was not extra! The beaches were lovely - there are 3. Just be careful if you swim at lowish tide (its not really low as in UK tides) but the coral has sea urchins etc and my husband caught his hand on one and the spines stuck in his hand (not the Hotels fault - just one of those things!) Beaches have white sand and there are plenty of sun loungers and little tents to sit under. Yes, there must have been some Europeans there because there were towels on some of the loungers at about 6am but this was really unnecessary as there were plenty. The pools are lovely - there are 2 small ones but the sea is like a pool - clear beautiful water and the most amazing colours. Food at the hotel was excellent - we have been to 'all inclusives' before in Europe the food is the cheapest possible, but here they had pancakes, French toast, syrup etc. They made them for you and also they cooked eggs and bacon for you. Lunch was a choice of burgers, hot-dogs, salads, pizzas, ice-cream. In addition there was more formal meals but the kids liked the burgers etc and so do we. Evening meals were also good with a wide variety which changed most nights.
One thing that strikes you is the beautiful colours of the Caribbean, white sand, turquoise water, blue sky...so striking.
Staff were very friendly, pleasant lovely people. The house band were great - we didn't watch much of the evening entertainment as we were exhausted after a day in the sun but what we did see was entertaining. The beds were excellent (pillows were great!)
One thing that was not so good and nothing to do with the hotel was that you should be careful if you leave the complex. The locals can get a bit to friendly (if not desperate) to sell to you and can hassle you - but that is my personal opinion. My husband wouldn't agree he thought it was OK. The locals I met via the beach (through the fence separating us) were lovely and we had a nice chat but the ones outside were more aggressive in their marketing techniques!

Overall - if we could afford to go every year we would. Everything was really lovely, a real Caribbean dream - the best caribbean holiday we have been on (we've been to Barbados and Antigua before)

5  Thank guitarwidow
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We arrived at the resort on April 23rd and left April 27th -2010, our stay was very nice, and this Hotel should really be listed as a 3.8- 4.0 level. The bartenders were great; they can make any drink you want, especially bartender seaymore. “Hi C-Moore”. The hotel is truly clean: all the workers constantly clean the hotel through out the day. The staff was friendly and helpful. So many things to do at this hotel, if you’re going to relax this would be the place for you. Rooms were fantastic and the ocean view was just a beautiful site to see. I will return again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends