“Beautiful!!!”

Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
London
“Beautiful!!!”
Reviewed 9 August 2007

Stayed here 2 weeks July 2007. This is my 2nd year at Decameron and once again had a fab time. All inclusive Hotel in ideal location on Gloucester Avenue "THE HIP STRIP"

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Nice beach, nice food, nice weather, nice pool.

Reggae Sumfest was fantastic once again. Enjoy Jamaica!!!

• Liked — Its Clean!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank TallgirlD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2007

I returned from the Royal Decameron a little over a month ago and I miss everyone so much! This was my 4th visit since February 2006. Obviously, I love this resort! Victor and all of the staff are wonderful. They will do whatever it takes to make your stay enjoyable. I've read a few reviews saying that the front desk staff are unfriendly. When we walked into the lobby, the lady at the front desk greeted us with "Welcome home!" That was just the start of another fabulous vacation. The entertainment team consisted of a lot of new members since our last visit, but we were still treated like family. The bartenders not only serve the best drinks, they keep us entertained all day! The staff consists of some of the warmest and friendliest people I have ever met, the food is delicious, the resort and grounds are immaculate, the water is crystal clear; to me, the Decameron is Heaven on Earth! The security is great; I feel as safe and comfortable here as I do in my own home. Worried about the Hip Strip? No problem; my daughter and I have never been bothered on the streets and are very comfortable venturing outside of the resort. We made some wonderful new friends who we talked to on Tripadvisor before our trip. Miss you all and hope to see you in Jamaica again real soon! (Love you Jen!) A big thank you to all of my Decameron Family and can't wait to see you again!

• Liked — The Staff, the activities, the beach/ocean
  • Disliked — I love everything about this resort!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank JAdelight
Granby, Quebec
Reviewed 7 August 2007

We stayed from July 29th to August 5th. As far as value, its a great place for the price. No there isn't much of a beach, but it gives you a choice - wade in the water or go snorkeling. The beach is pretty quiet, don't know where everyone is, most times there were only 4-5 groups on the beach. The rooms are ok, and no there isn't much hot water but after all that sun who wants to take a hot shower anyway! There was Jamaican food in the buffet or at the restaurant and they do try to vary the foods every night (American/French). I have a feeling they are trying to improve their services. There is always something being painted or cleaned. But I agree with the fact that the customer service rep at the hotel should change jobs as she was very rude. The staff is quite friendly with the exception of the front desk. At the bars if you gave a tip, they were quite friendly. This isn't a 24 hour/day open bar, the bars only open at 10 and close at 2 a.m and believe me its right at those times and no earlier or later. The wine though at the site is awful! The security is great and if you venture off the site they note who you are and if you aren't back by the next morning, they send out a search party. Don't believe what you read about the hip strip, it is quite safe. A few locals will try to sell you stuff but once you say no and walk away there is no problem. If staying at the Decameron its a must to leave the site and visit the hip strip, great music at the Coral Cliff. I was disappointed with Margueritaville though, no air conditionning! We took the time to go to a local restaurant (Townhouse by the Sea) and the food is excellent and affordable.
Also, be sure to go on a couple of tours, its worth it. Al in all the at the Decameron you get what you paid for....if you want more luxury, try the Sandals or a Riu. I also heard that the Grand Bahia that just opened is going to be fantastic in a few months!!

• Liked — Very quiet, not many rooms so not many people
  • Disliked — The staff at the front desk
13 Thank ckirchie
Cleveland, Oh
Reviewed 3 August 2007

Stayed here July 1-10. It was awesome, the rooms were clean, friendly staff and we enjoyed all of the activities. Its your vacation so you have to make the most of it. If you're from America, were one of the richest countries so we can not expect the Ritz Carlton for $699 all inclusive. Meet people, have fun get your money's worth.

• Liked — The Jamaicans
  • Disliked — The mouse in the kitchen
6 Thank travelbeast01
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2007

My boyfriend and I (he's 26, I'm 25) stayed at the RDMB from July 8-15, 2007 and we had the greatest time! Our best experience was definitely with the staff - they are all friendly, fun and helpful and actually put on really good entertainment shows every evening (compared to the entertainment at other Caribbean resorts I've stayed at).

It was really nice that the hotel was only a 5 minute drive from the airport and, although we met a few couples who weren't happy with their room/didn't get the accomodations they reserved, we were thrilled with our room (#314), especially the big balcony with lounge chairs and an amazing view of the ocean. The extra cost for the oceanview room is definitely worth it. Everyone we met eventually got a room they were happy with, but for some it just took an extra day or so.

Food was great on most days at the buffet restaurant but we think (and others agreed with us) that they should have more Jamaican food days!!! The Jamaican food/BBQ they served was delicious!! They served a different cuisine almost every day and we could have lived without the French or Mexican nights (yuck). We dined at the a-la-carte twice and it was delicious. There is also a good little beach snack bar where you can get fries, burgers, soda, coffee/tea, etc until the wee hours of the morning, which was very convenient.

The hotel buildings and grounds themselves are great - both restaurants are open and face the ocean. There are plenty of couches and lounge areas to hang out with a drink, and I never once had to struggle for a beach chair which is a problem I always encountered at other resorts. You also have a variety of choices on where to relax during the day - 2 pools, 2 small beaches, and a small sandy area off the boardwalk. The only negative is that, for people who like to walk for hours on the beach, you can't do this at RDMB as there is no long stretch of beach. For those who just want to relax, dip in the water, play some water sports, bounce around on the water trampoline, what they provide is perfect.

When I was there it was mostly couples, newlyweds, and a few families. Very few young children were on the resort .

Many tourists we spoke to complained that the locals - especially the young men who hang out at the end of the resort's beach - were pushy and agressive trying to sell weed, rent seadoos, etc. Keep in mind that most people in Jamaica are poor (there is a 30% unemployment rate) and they are just doing what they can to support themselves and their family. If you acknowledge their presence when they call out to you (which they definitely will, especially if you are female), they will leave you alone when you decline whatever it is they are selling. If you ignore them, they will get upset and won't leave you alone (I saw it happen). I personally went over to chat with the gentlemen one day and ended up getting the best foot massage/pedicure I've ever had. My favourite thing about Jamaica was the Jamaican people we met and the culture we experienced outside the resort.

Enjoy!

• Liked — Nice big room with great view!
  • Disliked — Bad shower pressure during peak times (am/early evening)
10 Thank Mara_J_H
Toronto
Reviewed 2 August 2007

As for the hot water comment below..... There was plenty..... they only tricky thing was if you wanted hot you have to turn it to the Blue...which we think is cold.... and vice versa.... took me a few days to figure that one out..... But yea over all the Food was Great... expected more Jamaican food..... No Ackee or saltfish..... I wish the jerk was spicier but it was still pretty good over all. The rooms were always clean.... Ocean view BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVED THE BAR TENDERS AND ENTERTAINMENT CREW!!!! Sean and Meeka from the entertainment crew always had a great show with the performers. Jamaicans are Very SOCIAL people :) If you go you have to get drinks from Franky, Seymore, and Errol............If your looking for entertainment be sure to go by the pool area during the afternoon they have beach volleyball, basket ball, cat fights... (You will understand when you get there), Jamaican trivia.... OHHHHHHHHHHHHH BE sure to have a BOB MARLEY SHOT... Ask one of Seymore or Errol to make it for you.......Margaretville was good........not really much to say....but the later you stay the better the music gets.....Overall I must say that I would go back in a heartbeat……

9 Thank TanishaS
Barnsley
Reviewed 1 August 2007

Yet again this hotel was fantastic. We stayed at the RDMB from July 10th till the 24th. We only had one 2 minute rain shower and it was hot, hot, hot. This was our third visit here and it has still let me wanting more. From the moment we checked in we where welcomed back by Victor (manger) who remembered us and saidany problems just see him. We requested a room beforehand and we didn,t get this on arrival but by the next day Victor had sorted this and we moved to room 14. I won't bore you with a long review just to let you know the food was excellent the Bar tenders Patrick, Simone and The main man who is now Bar Supervisor John still makes them good drinks. Anyway the only thing i didn't think was a good as previous years was the entertainment but this was understandable as there was a lot of new staff and Orlando was only there the first 4 days of my stay which made a difference as he was good when he was there. Anyway i reccomend this hotel to anybody and wish i was back there now.
p.s Anybody visiting say hi to Darren the lifeguard from Ian in England. Ask him if he is still wearing that England shirt!

10 Thank Bailey80