“Two Nights at the Gloriana with breakfast.”

Hotel Gloriana & Spa
Ranked #41 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
morant bay, st, thomas, jamaica
“Two Nights at the Gloriana with breakfast.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Early November 2012, during our travels in Jamaica we decided to visit Montego Bay.
As usual we had not booked accomodation, we like the freedom to choose as we go from place to place. We ask local taxi drivers to reccomend a hotel for us and two reccomended the hotel Gloriana. On arrival, we found the receiption area to be decorative, the staff warm and polite.After looking at their price list, We chose a room at where they call 'the basement', the cost of this room at that time was JA$4,100 about US$70 per night. The room was very basic, but we took it , base on the price. The other rooms were more expencive. On the negative side,there were no window, Very poor clothe hanging facility, and noisey plumbing.On the plus side, there was a Queen size bed, comfortable,Hot water in the shower,( the shower needed a complete renovation),and air condition, and Tv.
The choice of breakfast was limited, we would have liked to have some fresh fruits but that did not seams to be available, so we had what vegetable were available on the menu, Yellow yam, callaloo, green bananas and mackeral. This was well presented, and tasty, the restaurant staff was polite, we did not have to wait a long time for service, the price for the breakfast was ok, as i was only staying two nights, about US$22. over all our stay was reasonable.

Room Tip: choose a room with plenty of space and a/c. The higher floors are more expencive, but if you are sp...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barefootguesthouse
Eugennie M, Manager at Hotel Gloriana & Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2015
We have just gone through a series of refurbishing and have some new and upgrade rooms you can check it out on our website hotelgloriana.net or on our facebook page Hotel Gloriana.Thank you for making Hotel Gloriana your home away from home. We will be having a huge special on our room rates for this Christmas which starts now with walk-in rates at US $46.00 and reserved room at $57.00 and $70.00 per night so we are looking forward to seeing you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Montego Bay, i.e. Sandals, RIU, Iberostar, Hilton, GloucesterShire, Secrets and even at the Palmyra Resort and Spa where everybody calls me Doc over there. Thus, when I decided to "experiment" staying at Hotel Gloriana in the middle of October, 2012 I was pleasantly suprised at the cleanliness of the rooms (even though I could not find the remote for the TV) and the delicious chicken and fish dinners I had over there and the all of this for less than 1/3 to 1/2 of what I am used to paying elsewhere in Montego Bay ?. Of course, I did NOT get 5 star service but It was close to 5 Star service from Miss G, the Proprietor who takes a hands on attitude in making guests feel welcome in her hotel. Thus, I can honestly say It boggles my Imagination, some of the comments made by that one Reviewer about the "manageress is very rude" ? Are we living in a parallel Universe here or what ? Or is It because, I am an American citizen of african descent while that other Reviewer might be ...... with some real "biased views" ? Is that why our perception of the same place is so different ? The staff at the hotel was very friendly and even kept my luggage for me at the front desk after checkout. The best thing about the hotel for me though, is It's proximity to the Public beach i.e. If you walk down Sunset Blvd for 1 minute and turn Right, you get to the beach. To get to the Strip, you walk down Sunset Blvd for 1 minute and turn Left Instead. I was able to walk along the strip at night to Coral Cliffs Enterntainment Complex and Blue Beat Nightclub (next to Margaritaville ) and walked right back to my hotel room early in the morning without having to worry about transportation or calling for expensive taxis. Early in the mornings, I was able to go for a nice swim in the ocean after a less than 5 minutes walk from the Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Doc-Palmyra
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

i stayed in the hotel as i was a quest at my friend wedding it was a nice relaxing place to chill out the rooms were comfortable however the house keepers need to pay a little more attention to details such as the cornors of the floor which was dirty and area around the handle of the doors the internet service was poor however dispite of the negitive comment i would stay there again as its good value for money

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maria H
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

Don't even think about this hotel. The staff are like zombies VERY unfriendly. The manageress is very rude and laughs as silly laugh in your face while she refuses every request you make. The room was dirty, especially the floor. We had no light in the bathroom and the man who came to fix it complained about having to do so, expecting money from us for doing it. The telephone in our room didnot work. We didnot eat there as we were afraid someone might spit in or food. All in all it was a hell hole which I wouldnot recommmend to anyone. The manageress should be ashamed of herself and her childish attitude. She is supposed to be a grown woman. Ha!!! Lots of people we have spoken to said she has a bad reputation. NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: Don't bother with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Isobelis6
Eugennie M, Manager at Hotel Gloriana & Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2016
thank you for making hotel Gloriana you home away from home. sorry for your bad experince. and thanks for your comment. when you come again you will have a choice to choose your room. we you come again we will give you a discount for $55 per night. as we have upgraded since your last visi. we have also since change our manager.

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

We needed a place to stay as we got stranded during hurricane sandy. Upon arrival to our room it smelled musty and mildewey , later that night a HUGE roach the size of a mouse ( not kidding) ran across the room, I know it's the tropic and you expect roaches, but still a uneasy feeling when you are about to go to bed. The bathroom smelled of raw sewedge . I would say the staff is pleasant and the pool area was the best part of the hotel. I guess for the price you can't complain, it was shelter from the storm but it was not a very comfortable place to be, if you are looking for a inexpensive place to stay then I guess this is it... 59.00 a night but anything beyond that this place is not for you.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kelly L
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed here for 1 night as my family were flying back to the UK before me. I have stayed Montego Bay several times but never at Hotel Gloriana. I chose it for its location, 5 mins drive to Sangster airport and the value. I paid around £30 which is reasonable. The hotel staff were welcoming, the room was very spacious two double beds and a seperate toliet and shower room. The decor dated but very clean which to me is more important. I spent my evening in the bar, we were the only ones's! There are mural's on the wall and a picture of Gloria. I think i saw her pull up outside in a Mercedez! she had a swag about her. The hotel is a couple minutes walk to Bucaneer beach to the right or hip strip to the left. There is an ATM machine located near 5 mins from the hip strip which is useful, a chinese resturant too. Further down is margaritaville and a little further downtown Montego Bay and KFC! Overall Hotel Gloriana is a budget hotel perfect for one night. A big downside was that it had no window as it was boarded it and the curtains were permenantly drawn.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank SweetJamaica
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I visit Jamaica monthly and usually end my trip at Gloriana. It's very close to the airport, walking distance to the hip strip, comfortable, clean and safe. One of the best bargains in Montego Bay for the money!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room over the pool. Sometimes it can be noisy but it's closer to the front an...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo