“Cheap ...handy for a stopover”

Hotel Gloriana & Spa
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here for one night has i was catching an early flight the following day. I paid approx 4500 Jamaican dollars which is very cheap for a kingsize room by the pool. Yes the poolside rooms are noisy, music stops playing at about 9p.m.

The rooms are basic and require updating. This place is useful for a stopover and nothing else really....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Eugennie M, Manager at Hotel Gloriana & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2015

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is cheap by Montego Bay standards. We paid 5000J for one night. Chosen because of its proximity to the airport, it did what it had to, for the cost. There were mostly Jamaicans staying there which was nice.
The grounds were nice, I loved the chickens and ducks and peacocks walking around from the farm next door!
The room itself was spacious but there was no natural light and the decor was dated and worn. The shower had hot water and good pressure (we used it early in the morning) The bed was not super comfortable but still ok. The tv reception was poor. The internet worked only outside the room. Front desk staff was ambivalent. The food at dinner was average and the breakfast was awful and very expensive.
The airport shuttle was a ripoff at 1000J (the airport is 3 mins away) .. get a taxi outside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TalbsOnTheGoGoGO

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I've stayed there before for a night due to its proximity to the airport. Its location is the only good thing about it really. There was a nasty smell coming from the bathroom which made the whole room smell bad. The shower didn't work properly. And the lock on the door didn't work properly either. The drinks at the restaurant downstairs were way overpriced, but luckily there is a convenience shop right next door. However I was hassled during the 10 steps to the door by 1 taxi driver and 1 crackhead trying to sell bracelets using the "tie it on your wrist then magically can't get it off when I don't want it" scam. I wasn't feeling great the next morning, so we decided to get a ride to the airport rather than walk. we asked for a taxi at the front desk and they said they'd drive us...it ended up being 10 american dollars, which was a big rip off. While waiting for the lady to pull her car around out front, 3 taxis stopped and offered us a ride to the airport and they would have probably cost a third of the price. Also, due to the proximity of the airport, there were a lot of planes flying overhead (to be expected, not their fault).
The pros: the rooms are pretty cheap, and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the airport. I'm not familiar with other hotels in the area, so I can't say whether you should go elsewhere, just know that you're staying here for the convenience and not much else. If you want a taxi to the airport, just stand out front and wait for a couple minutes....it'll save you some cash.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thatt G

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel is one of the nearest to the sangster international airport and is managed by the owner, Gloria Minto, after whom the property is named. It is therefore as native as it gets. On a particular morning breakfast comprised boiled bananas served with ackees and roasted breadfruit all harvested from the back of the property...so very fresh and tasty.My bed was drizzled every day with flower petals which I realised also came from the property. I was able to watch the feeding of a variety of domestic birds including ducks,geese,pigeons,chickens and peacocks right there at the back of the farm-like backyard. I certainly felt at home and close to nature, but within a walk of the famous Doctor's Cave Beach.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DunbarMc

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My mom and I went down to Jamaica for a few days and my cousin recommended hotel Gloriana so we said sure, why not? The location is great because you're close to a lot of things but I'll say this, customer service is not their forte. The ambiance is great and the room was comfortable, although a little outdated but that's not a big deal. The workers at the front desk are a little slouchy and the workers at the restaurant take FOREVER to bring your meal. My mom and I went down for breakfast the Saturday morning and I noticed you have to get the attention of the workers, they don't just approach your table and take your order. I actually saw a couple a few tables away from us that waited for about 10-15 mins. before getting any help. Another thing is you see a lot of locals. Other than the not so great customer service and the undesirables that may stay a night or two, I met the owner and she was really sweet but I don't know if I'll stay again here in the future. 3 stars overall for the good food (even though it took a while to get to us), location and the ambiance. I'd recommend for a night or two but longer than that, maybe not.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Crystal D

The food we provide is done on a cook to order basis this is why it may take a little time we are apologetic for any inconvenience this may cause. We have just gone through a series of refurbishing and have some new and upgrade rooms you can check it out on our website hotelgloriana.net or on our facebook page Hotel Gloriana.Thank you for making Hotel Gloriana your home away from home. We will be having a huge special on our room rates for this Christmas which starts now with walk-in rates at US $46.00 and reserved room at $57.00 and $70.00 per night so we are looking forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I like to say I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. The rooms are real out dated. The staff is clueless an not helpful at all. I had to switch rooms twice one because I had hug roaches in my room. The second time because the phone did not work. I like to add a travel tip for this hotel. This hotel is for young people who don't have a lot of money,that need some where to lay there head. If You are young an want to party this is the place for u. Because u will meet people hear that want to party. Even the local hang out hear.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank oshyiana

Reviewed 4 September 2013

the rooms were run down giving its name i thought it would live up to its name mark you this was our first anniversary and the staff werent so friendly maybe 1 and 2 maids , i would not reccomend anyone to stay there

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple