If you're looking for a bed and breakfast (or ANY small/quiet hotel, for that matter) in the center of Montego Bay, you can stop reading about other options. This is it. Book it.
Since everything that has been written is true, there's no need for me to repeat everyone else and talk about how great it is (one of the few places that exceeds the "hype"). All I will do is offer a few tips/things to know ahead of time (I don't want to say "warnings," just FYI's that have nothing to do with the quality of the B&B).
1. Keep in mind that you're located on a street that is smack above the the Hip Strip. So while the grounds and street in front of it are incredibly peaceful, when you walk down to the main drag, you will be in the thick of it all.
We thought this was fantastic, but I could see some other people not considering this to be a plus.
But again, you are well above the Hip Strip and in a little bubble of tranquility.
2. Doctor's Cave Beach (which is less than a 10-minute walk and your closest option) isn't free, and the fees for renting chairs and an umbrella are small but do add up. However, you are getting such a steal at Polkerris that it makes up for it.
Doctor's Cave Beach is absolutely stunning. However, we weren't there during the high season, so I can't comment on whether it would be an issue to have to deal with the reportedly huge crowds every day. You do have Cornwall Beach next door. But I can't imagine how the beach itself at Negril is any better than the beach at Doctor's Cave. Like Polkerris, I had read the reviews and was still taken aback when I got there.
3. The street where the Polkerris is located, the "Corniche," is fairly unmarked and easy for a cab driver to miss, even though he will obviously say he knows where it is. Make a mental note when you get there of where exactly the turn is off the Hip Strip so that you can tell the driver to hang a left/right when you're approaching it on your way back from another location.
4. Bring a TON of bug spray (that's not Polkerris; that's Jamaica).
None of these things should deter you; they're just things you might want to be aware of.
Like I said, book it now. It is as good a B&B as you will ever find. I wish I had spent more time talking with the owners to ask how on earth they originally got that gorgeous house with that view in that location. If you find out, please share. I'm sure Jeremy (an Englishman; his wife is Jamaican) would be more than happy to tell you all about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Polkerris and Vista de la Bahia are two villas nestled on a hillside with fabulous views overlooking the Montego Bay harbour. Less than half a mile from Doctor's Cave Beach and a few minutes from the 'Hip Strip' with it's many shops and restaurants. Rooms are air conditioned with en-suite bathroom, TV, refrigerator, safe and ironing board. A full breakfast is included with a wide array of Jamaican and International dishes to choose from. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Polkerris Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Polkerris Hotel Montego Bay