“Chukka forgets to pick you up and has terrible customer service”

Chukka Caribbean Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
US$98.00*
and up
Jamaica Catamaran Cruise to Dunn's River Falls from Ocho Rios or Montego Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Chukka Jamaica Montego Bay - a full range of tours for families, couples and friends. Experience the best we have to offer at one of our exclusive locations including Sandy Bay, Montpelier and YS Falls. Try the original horseback ride and swim or our ATV Buggy, jeep safari, zipline, river tubing, kayaking, catamaran sailing and more. Transportation to and from all major hotels and piers. Chukka offers the best of Jamaica, Belize, Grand Turk and Dominican Republic.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Braunfels, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Chukka forgets to pick you up and has terrible customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband I returned from our vacation to Jamaica last night. I am writing this email to express our disappointment with Chukka Caribbean Adventures.
We trust Costco and with the purchase of our vacation, we had a $100 Chukka Tour Credit. On May 30, 2014 we went to the Chukka office at the resort and the reprentative set up our tour for the Dunn's River Climb and Catamaran Cruise for May 31, 2014. She only gave us a piece of paper with a confirmation number.I had to give her my credit card number, but never had to sign anything. I did not get a receipt either.
Our pick up was at 7:10 am. Later that day, we had a voicemail changing the pick up time to 7:50 am.
We were at the lobby for pick up the next morning at 7:40 am. At 8, I went to the front desk asking them if they could check on our pick up. They called Chukka for me and I waited on hold until 8:30 until a man answered the phone. He said that they never sent anyone to pick us up. He said he would send someone. The Chukka rep did not get in until 8:30, so we went and told him what was going on. He said someone would pick us up by 8:45, but we did not get picked up until 9am.
We were the only 2 people in this van and he drove very fast. We met up with another van with 6 people in it for the same tour. They were waiting on the side of the road for us. We had to get in that van to proceed to the tour.
We got to the boat dock at 10:45 am. Our driver immediately looked worried and mad. He got on his cell phone and got out of the van. He was on the phone for over 20 minutes. He said that the boat left without us. Then we saw a rescue inflatable with motor boat come to take us to the catamaran. We were told that the catamaran was just around the boat dock island and that it came back for us. This was not true. The family of 4 got on the rescue boat first. The rescue boat came back about 11:15 for my husband and I. This boat had silver duct tape on the sides. We were given life jackets and we had to ride this boat all the way out to the snorkel sight. When we got there at 11:30, all the other people from the tour were already done snorkeling and on the boat waiting to leave to the next location of Dunn's river. They were looking at us like we did something wrong. No one on the catamaran met us to apologize or give us any information. We were just handed the snorkeling equipment. We swam out to join the family of 4 that was already out there. We were in the water for 10 minutes and they told us to all swim back and we had to leave at 11:45. My husband and I talked with Captain at 2:45 and told him how disappointed we were with the tour. He said that he called the office and they would do something for us. He was not sure what.
We then proceeded to the Dunn's River. After that a driver picked us up and took us the hotel. We got back to the hotel at 5.
It would have been nice to have someone meet us at the hotel to apologize or at the very least have a voicemail on our hotel phone. We did not get either.
The Chukka reps were already closed for the day.
I wrote a note and placed it under there door expressing our disappointment and wanting a discount/ refund.
We did not hear anything from them Sunday. We went in person Monday morning and the rep did not remember us. A second rep there tried to be helpful calling their marketing manager to find out what they would do for us. We waited here for over 30 minutes again while they were on the phone. They said that we were getting a package. When we checked back later, it was still not there. They said that they would leave it at the hotel front desk. We told them that we were not sure of the value of the package they were giving us and that we wanted to snorkel. We had already had another excursion to Dunn's river so that was not a priority for us. We said we wanted a discount or refund. She said the marketing director was not willing to give us any discount or refund.
Upon check out on June 3, our package was a plastic bag with one Chukka t-shirt and one nylon Chukka crossbody bag.
We took 3 other tours with the company Amstar and they were on time and more enjoyable.
I would suggest the Dreamer Catamaran Snorkel and party boat. They were on-time, fun, and the snorkel sight was better.
No one wants to spend their day on the phone or waiting to do something fun on vacation. This could have been a rare mishap, but would you want this to happen to you?
Don't choose this tour!

6 Thank ShinerRanchman
ChukkaCaribbean, Public Relations Manager at Chukka Caribbean Adventures, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
We sincerely apologize. This is not the standard of service or experience that Chukka is known for or wants to deliver to any client. We would like to ensure that you are satisfied with our response to your issues and as such ask if would you please email our Country Manager Mr Frank Peeters at fpeeters@chukka.com directly so that he may personally correspond with you and find a satisfactory solution.

Houston, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“River tubing and Canopy Zipline at Montpelier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was a great tour!! We did the combo of tubing on the river followed by the zipline adventure. The river guides were Ned and Damian, who is also known as "Shrek or Bigfoot". They were great along with entertaining. The best!! The zipline guides were John and Troy. Again...the best! They are so knowledgeable and took great care of us. Beware of the mosquitos and buy the repellant when the suggest it!

1 Thank Tara W
ChukkaCaribbean, Public Relations Manager at Chukka Caribbean Adventures, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Tara, thank you so much for your valuable feedback! We’ll be sure to let Ned, Damian, John and Troy know how they have excelled in customer service! We are thrilled that you had a great time and we are looking forward to hosting you again soon
Mobile, Alabama
“Still no pictures..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My tour was through Royal Caribbean on May 21, 2014. We "didn't have time" to wait in line for our pictures because "the cruise ship would leave us" when in all actuality another group from our ship had just begun the tour. I was severely annoyed with this as we asked to use our GoPro camera and they refused. It is now June 3 and i've received no email with pictures. I have submitted two photo requests (both me and my boyfriend) and we've called several times. Still no pictures. They just blow it off. Will not book an excursion through Chukka again.

Visited May 2014
ChukkaCaribbean, Public Relations Manager at Chukka Caribbean Adventures, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hello Gabrielle. We thank you for your review and we sincerely apologize for what has happened. We have just spoken to the Photo Supervisor about your situation, and your first and last name is needed in order to proceed. So please email us your contact information, briefly explaining the issue, to info@chukkacaribbean.com so that we can send your memories from your trip as soon as possible. Best regards
Harrisville, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“relaxing, friendly and very informative horse ride, not to mention beautiful...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I highly recommend the horse back riding trip it is a mostly shaded trip through a field and then into the woods following an old kings highway from the old rum and cane sugar exportation days. If you are lucky to ride along with one of the guides they will open right up about what exactly you are seeing or possibly hearing. If you go in the water, try to talk them into allowing you to go barefoot. I wore teva's and they acted like sails underwater. not fun. The horses were treated well and in good health. A lot of them are polo horses used on a field next to the facility.

Visited August 2013
CHUKKATours, Public Relations Manager at Chukka Caribbean Adventures, responded to this review, 30 March 2015
Trevor, we are so glad you have enjoyed the original Horseback Ride and Swim Tour – it is an experience ideal for all ages! Thank you for choosing Chukka and for your great feedback, we hope to see you again soon in Jamaica, Belize or Turks
Inglewood, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The male staff was the highlight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked a 1:30 tube ride. When I called them to confirm, per the instructions on the voucher, no one picked up. I emailed them, and got a prompt response - we don't have an afternoon pick-up scheduled for you...but we can pick you up for the morning tour. That's fine, but just so you know, my voucher clearly says that I paid for the afternoon tour.

The driver, Teddy, was amazing! What a great guy - we talked like we'd known each other forever and he was a great guide as more and more people joined. When we got there, the surly lady behind counter informed us that the lock rental was $5 and the bug spray was $6 (make sure to bring your own bug spray, and split the cost of the locker rental, which should have been included or only two bucks, as far as I am concerned).

Our guides were AMAZING! They were spirited, full of energy, focused on keeping us safe, funny, everything you would hope they would be. Although we did not get the complimentary rum punch, they passed around sugar cane and coconuts with fresh water in them.

They overcharge for the photos - ten pictures for thirty dollars???? I split the fees with some nice women I met, otherwise, they could have kept those photos (the photographer was, eh). Again, there were some surly women at the register. Not sure what that's about.

Don't think I would book through Chukka again, because of all the nickel and diming, but my hats off to the guides and my friend Teddy.

Visited May 2014
ChukkaCaribbean, Public Relations Manager at Chukka Caribbean Adventures, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your review. While we never like to hear we missed the mark we do appreciate all feedback as we strive to continually improve our product and over deliver on expectations. We'll be sure to tell Teddy and the guides – we’re delighted to know that they have made your excursion memorable. They truly are the heart of our Chukka family. We have shared your comments with our Operations Team for their review. We value all of your input and we hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to host you again.