“Chukka Cove Horse Ride”

and up
Jamaica Catamaran Cruise to Dunn's River Falls from Ocho Rios or Montego Bay
Ranked #14 of 80 Tours in Ocho Rios
More attraction details
Owner description: Chukka Jamaica Ocho Rios - Exclusive locations including Chukka Cove Farm, Cranbrook and White River Valley. Journeys to Bob Marley's home, Dunn's River Falls and sailing offer something for everyone. Try the original horseback ride and swim, cliff jumping, ATV, zipline, river tubing and white water rafting in season. Endless options for families, couples and friends. Transportation to and from all major hotels and piers. Chukka offers the best of Jamaica, Belize, Grand Turk and Dominican Republic.
Ronybaby
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Chukka Cove Horse Ride”
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Was there on march 10 2009. That was a really great day. The guides are very friendly and "No Problem" at all. The horse ride in the sea is a must do. It's so much fun and it is long enough cause it is not easy to stay on the horse on almost a bareback. You just have a little foam pad with a handle to help you keep your balance. Special thanks to SHERDON, our guide. We gave him our cameras and he took a lot of picture and films of us, that will make incredible souvenirs. He was the nicest guy I met during this week vacation. So SHERDON, Manon, Robert and John Wayne (Ronald) salutes you ! I will surely do the ride again the next time i am in Jamaica !

4 Thank Ronybaby

Albany, NY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Once in a Lifetime Experience!”
Reviewed 19 December 2008

My boyfriend and I did the canopy tour on 12/13/08 and it was absolutely amazing! We booked it at the tour desk in the Riu Ocho Rios for $93 each. The Chukka Caribbean site was $88, but we decided to wait to see the weather. Travelocity had a buy one tour, get one half off, but it was booked several weeks in advance and had no availability on our dates.

The shuttle bus picked us up in the lobby at 12:45 & we were brought to Chukka's ranch to sign waivers. Use the bathroom here as there are only porta-potties at the site. From there it was a long, treacherous drive up an extremely narrow, steep, pothole filled gravel road, beeping our horn as the road permits just one vehicle. Looking out my window, it was a very long drop down! We saw tiny houses and skinny dogs and children by the side of the road playing.

Upon arriving, we were quickly strapped into helmets & harnesses and given a 3 minute demonstration on what to expect. We walked about 10 minutes to the first platform. There are 2 big hooks on your harness. They are pretty heavy & bump against your legs as you walk. There were a lot of wooden, stone filled stairs & the walk was very slippery and muddy. We clutched on to trees & a rope railing for most of the walk. It was definitely not an easy walk!

There are 7 different platforms. My legs were literally shaking (from both the slippery walk and from nerves!) when I did the first one. The guides hook you to a safety line as you step up on the beam to the platform & they attach your two hooks to the line. It feels like someone lifting you up by your belt straps to hook you on a clothes line. It's a very tight and secure feeling. I wondered if it would feel like a free fall, and was glad it did not. They tell you to just sit back and off you go. You don't have to jump off the platform to get moving.

You come in very fast on the first platform. I thought I was going to crash right into the tree before the guide caught me! The 2nd one is even more of an angle, with increased speed. The 3rd one I absolutely could not believe - it is straight down, like rappelling down a fireman's pole! The first 3 are the scariest. I laughed out loud at the remaining ones and very much enjoyed the ride! On the 4th one, I did not reach the platform and had to reach up, turn myself around, and then go hand over hand, backwards, to the platform! Not as scary as it sounds as you are wearing leather gloves. The last one is the longest and most exhilarating! My boyfriend video taped it (he wore the camera on a strap around his neck), and you can hear just how fast you are really going!

After the final ride, the guides assist you with removing your equipment and you sling it over your shoulder and begin the long walk back. You will see tall, gorgeous, fern like trees and plants and will end at a rushing stream.

I am afraid of heights, but I absolutely loved this! It is a once in a lifetime experience. The sheer beauty of the exotic ferns and plants make you feel like you are in paradise. The guides are very nice and patient. I told O'Neal that I always do something that I am afraid of to celebrate my birthday and he laughed and said I'd be screaming, just like the day I was born! There is a tip box for the guides and a keg of water at the end of the tour.

The drive back is much easier. You are returned to the Chukka Ranch to spray off your muddy sneakers and get drinks at the bar. We bought a package of 21 pictures of ourselves, a video showing each of the runs and pictures of the area for $30. Our pictures are outstanding close ups of us and it was great to be able to show our families what we saw on each of the runs. It was well worth it! We were back at the hotel at 5 p.m.

Suggestions: 1) bring a hair tie if you have long hair. I was told to wrap mine tightly under my helmet so it didn't get caught up in the hooks. 2) It is extremely humid! We wore bug spray and brought tissues. The guides wear bandanas on their heads under the helmets. 3) I was glad I wore old sneakers, as they were covered with mud, but I slipped a lot on the stone pathway & could have used more traction. One of the women in our group fell and scraped up the front of her leg on the stones. 4) I wore nylon workout pants. They were very cool and prevented the chaffing from the harness straps that occured with shorts. The bottoms of both of my pants were covered with mud, and it easily washed right off.

Chukka definitely lives up to its promise to provide "fun filled excursions for people who know how to enjoy life to its fullest"!

8 Thank MexicoCat
stirling, on
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dune buggy ride rocks!”
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We chose this as a shore excursion (Nov 08 Carnival cruise) because we wanted to have fun and see the countryside. IT WAS A BLAST! Courtney, our guide, was great. Be prepared to get dirty!

Dan & Carol

2 Thank canadianeh88
San Francisco
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Best on the Island”
Reviewed 17 October 2008

X-hilarating Experience of a Lifetime

(DISCLAIMER: WEAR WATER RESISTANT MOSQUITO REPELLANT or you may regret it)

Ok, this is an exhilarating experience of a lifetime. Now I will start off by admitting I am the BIGGEST fear factor walking around!!! No, not daring, like the contestants on Americas Fear Factor, but fearful of exhilarating adventures.

Now, I’ve tried the two zip lines in Ochi: (Chukka and Mystic and) I would say Chukka is BY far the BEST!!!! Mystic is convenient b/c its closer to the cruise ships if you come by BOAT, but I would definitely try to venture out to Chukka, just a short distance away. I stayed at the Riu only 5 minutes from downtown port and less than 15 minutes to Chukka. I mean if you’re gonna pay, you might as well get your $$$$ worth. (Plus, I paid for Chukka and got Mystic for free, but I would definitely pay for Chukka over and over and over each time!!!!)

First, the driver/tour guides on the van are GREAT and amusing!!! We had Joe and he definitely kept us entertained. We stopped at the farm before we went up the BIG windy road, which is an amusement ride on its OWN. There we were able to buy nick knacks and what in the store there. I found the items cute, but a lil over priced. I bought a bag with a defective zipper, so I am a little biased about the store there.

So the ride up is on this long one lane windy road, that’s rickety and bumpy, but with the most scenic beautiful site as you overlook the “bush” ie jungle/forest mountain with the ocean horizon, while right along side the road about a 20 foot drop is a beautiful river paralleling the cliff side. DEFINITELY TAKE YOUR CAMERA!!!!!! You will not likely get an opportunity to take pictures like this again.

When you get to the top and unload the van a whole entourage of BEAUTIFUL hiking zip line guides awaiting you on a green encased wood platform to “harness” you nice and secure.

Dalton and Janet were my favorite. Dalton because of his subtleness/patience when he “harnessed” you and his calm soothing and unintentionally sexy voice and patois accent when he’d remind me “Don’t Worry Man, Don’t worry”. (I was also impressed with his amazingly boyish beauty at 6’1.) AND Janet, b/c one, she was the only female guide on our tour which is impressive and she was VERY encouraging when I nearly cried from anxiety at a few of the platforms. She’d remind me it was ok (and felt like one of my fam/friends who had already been whist away before me as I fearfully held up the end of the tour). And, she was always right because as soon as I’d step off the platform I was like Tarzan(a) of the jungle and felt like I was flying (but with safety rope)!!!! Oh, and Lance, b/c his voice is sooooo distinctive! (Kinda like Buju Banton if you now who that is). He was also very FUNNY and entertaining! They make you feel like one of the gang as everyone is standing around waiting to get “uncomfortably” harnessed.

But don’t worry; the lead tour guide goes over everything at the start, although it is difficult to pay attention because the whole time (s)he is instructing, you’re overlooking him(her) at the beautiful mountainous scene behind him. (But DO pay attention b/c these instructions are important!). Well all they tell you, so I hear, is to hold on tight and if your line stops before you reach the next platform, to turn around backwards and use your hands to pull you’re the few additional inches/foot to the platform (and that’s IF that ever even happens. I never saw it happen, so I think it was jus legal precautionary!

The great part is that the tour guides allow you to leave your things (backpacks, cameras, sunglasses) in the truck with them to drive down and meet you at the bottom. Hat way you can take all the photos and videos while you harness and listen, when the tour van leaves. (DON’T WORRY, I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE THINKIN’ BUT YOUR THINGS ARE PERFECTLY SAFE!!!! You’ll have to realize, companies like this can only employ honest staff members, otherwise they’d get a BAD rep which wouldn’t instill faith in tourists. Your stuff, (Louis Vuitton cache bags and Sony camcorders and all) will be just as you left them when you get to the end of the tour!!! But keep $$$$ on you since you tip the zipline guides before you get out the “bush” and you’ll want immediate refreshments at the end, before going back to the farm.

So, then you start to take a three to five minute walk down a mostly stair cased “bush” path to the first platform. I prefer to walk down than up and this is when you’ll start to appreciate the water resistant mosquito repellant b/c you will be sweating because there are NO sea breezes IN the bush! Best part of this “hike: is that it is MUCH better to walk down than up, t the platforms!!!! This hike gets your adrenaline going for the anticipation. When you get to the bottom of the walk and approach your first platform the adrenaline starts going WILD as you watch the first of the few tour guides sail/glide away ahead of everyone to their prospective platforms doing upside down acrobatic trips as you watch in amazement b/c all you’ll be doing is holding on for your life (joke).

There are about 8 lines in total and you go fast! There is one killer straight down drop that I feared the most but want to do over and over!!! Now warning, no matter HOW scared you are when you leave the platform, please SMILE when you get comfy b/c they do have a photographer capturing every moment for you to purchase at the end when they return you back to the farm.

At the bottom of the tour, they sale drinks, COLD bottled water and flavored water. (They could have had pops or the like but you are so dehydrated from the vigorous bush activities and heat, all you want is WATER! And this is from a woman who can’t start her day without a diet pepsi and Starbucks white mocha EVERY morning on my two hour commute to work in SF. I recommend bringing $$$ along with you on the zip (in your pocket), b/c you feel kinda bad having to decide if you’re gonna tip the tour guides OR buy a drink. I learned that the hard way the first time and the guides lost out, even tho they were deserving. Plus, I’ve learned they make an entire day what I (many of us) make an hour here in the states!!!

You can take awesome pictures when you walk back to the van also. So if you had the guides or tour van keeps your camera you might wanna hurry back to get your camera at the bottom and walk back up along the trial from the last platform to take more historic pictures. After they return you back to the farm you look at the pixs and decide if you want to purchase and have a drink at the outside bar before they take you back to your ship or resort.

OH YEAH: like I said at the start: wear a lot of water resistant mosquito repellant because you’re in the bush and you will definitely sweat. I stayed an entire week one time and there was one of the only places I received one of my two bites, down near my ankle!!!!

11 Thank angel_esq
TEXAS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Loved Dale”
Reviewed 28 June 2008

We went to the ride and swim on the 2nd to last day of our trip, and it was wonderful!!! After getting on the horses we rode in a circle while everyone else got on, then we went to a lg field and rode around for everyone to get used to it and then we were off! We rode through some trails and a few sm hills. This probably took about 45 mins. Dale stayed close to us and we enjoyed learning about Jamaica and his family. He would take our camera and take pix of us which was very helpful. When we arrived at the water, we got off the horses and went to the area where this a bar and restrooms. They put the water saddles on the horses and we went back in sm gps. When we got in the water the fun began! Dale had put a halter on my horse and he was making him go crazy, it was so much fun. I had an extremely bad sunburn on my legs which made riding in the water very painful, but it was still so much fun. I had to hold on for dear life sometimes, but it was so worth it. I highly recommend this tour, it was one of the highlights of our trip. We bought some pix on a disc and it was well worth it. Some of the people went out twice, if I had known you could, we would have definitely went twice! Go and enjoy!!

4 Thank WeLuvJam