“Fantastically relaxing”

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I just can't wait to write this review. I am still here and leaving in a few hours. This place just oozes relaxation. We had a premier beach front room. We just hop over a low wall and we are on the private beach and about 25 yards from the Caribbean Sea. The rooms are small by modern hotel standards, but that does not matter as the location and service makes up for everything. There is no-one telling you to play volleyball or join the next beach dancing competition, you are just left to relax. The only interruptions from the staff on the beach are from the waiters asking if you want a rum cocktail, or the spa staff trying to get you to go for a massage (I succumbed). Eating a room service lunch on your own private verandah so close to the beach is heavenly. Eating dinner on the open air terrace under palm trees, as the sun goes down over the sea is wonderful, particularly after having a pre-dinner cocktail. One word of advice.. until the new road to Kingston is open, fly into to Montego Bay. It is further in distance, but only 90 minutes away, as opposed to Kingston which is well over 2 hours due to the poor road over the mountains.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willolot
There are newer reviews for Jamaica Inn

Reviewed 30 March 2011

Jamaica Inn has a fantastic location with its own white sand beach! The rooms all have big balconies or verandahs, which makes every room into a suite. Service is great and very friendly. Beautiful gardens surround the hotel. If you like privacy and romance - the White Suite or Cottage Number 3 are fantastic!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louisedev
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My second visit to the Jamaica Inn ~ the first being several years prior. Without doubt, it's one of the most enjoyable spots to relax and enjoy the calm and quiet of the Caribbean. The location is tucked far enough away from the tourist spots of the Island but still within reach should you want to visit. The staff is truly exceptional ~ friendly, warm and also willing to help. The only thing I would say is that the food wasn't as good as my first visit. Nevertheless, I would return and actually hope to next year.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank flaxen1946
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I’m not sure I can add a lot to the many glowing reviews of the Jamaica Inn.

My husband and I just returned from our third stay in as many years. Since our first visit, I have continued to do a lot of research to try to find, for the sake of variety, a hotel or resort in the Caribbean that compares favourably to the Jamaica Inn. But every single place falls short in at least one aspect – usually many.

For people looking simply to chill (and to be treated like royalty), the Jamaica Inn is perfect. From the daily-raked, beautiful, protected beach; to the ample number of beach lounge chairs sitting under thatched-roof shade; to the cleanly-designed rooms with great outdoor “living space” (we have always stayed in a Premier Verandah Suite on the beach, where we hop over to our beach lounge chairs, less ten steps away); to the relaxing Kiyara Spa; to the delicious food served on the terrace, with live but not overwhelming music played each night (there is a different menu every night, including a new, inventive vegetarian entrée offered each night for us non-meat eaters; meals can also be served in-room); to the complimentary rum (or fruit) punch served each day at 11:30am, the Jamaica Inn is paradise.

But the Jamaica Inn’s best feature is its staff / service. From Mary, the hotel’s manager, to Johnson, Marlon, Alvin, Teddy, Desmond, Patrice, Karen and many, many others, the employees of the Jamaica Inn elevate the vacation experience from excellent to incredible. The hotel employs a great group of people – friendly, courteous, respectful, responsive, and competent. Make sure you budget to tip the employees generously – they deserve it.

A few words of caution: the rooms are elegantly and cleanly furnished, and the balconies or verandahs are heaven, but don’t expect a huge bedroom or fancy new jacuzzis in the bathroom, for example. Further, as many others have mentioned, if you’re looking for “nightlife”, you won’t find it (thankfully, from my perspective!) at the hotel itself. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy a beverage and to socialize, but I think the hotel would lose a lot of its regular visitors if it suddenly became a party palace! [I ranked "sleep quality" four out of five because noise from the adjacent road can, on rare occasions, be loud in the beach wing, and on our last night, guests staying in our wing had a bit of a party on their verandah, until after 2am - totally inconsistent with the hotel's normally quiet vibe!] Some reviewers suggest there aren’t a lot of available activities on the property. It’s true that there aren’t a ton of watercraft available, but the kayaks and sunfish sailboats seem to suit everyone’s needs. As well, Tony and Marvin are always available to take guests out snorkelling, fishing or to Dunn’s River Falls. There are also several popular attractions in the area. Finally, keep in mind that everything adds up – from airport transportation, to the food, expensive drinks, service charges, the spa, money for any outside excursions, and tips, a stay at the Jamaica Inn can be pricey. … but it’s worth every penny.

My husband and I will continue to research other hotels and resorts in the Caribbean. But I doubt we’ll be willing to risk our precious vacation time by staying anywhere but the Jamaica Inn.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KarenPeter
Reviewed 2 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Jamaica Inn in October of last year. I really don't know what to write that hasn't been said already. It's amazing. It's like stepping back in time where long sunny days were filled with swimming, croquet, and a nice chat with other travelers. No noise, t.v.'s, loud boats or vendors.

We stayed in a Premier Veranda suite that looked out to the sea. It was so nice and very private. Everything is five star.

The Inn is not big and concrete and busy. There is only one pool and no organized sports and activities. Jamaica Inn is exactly what I hoped an all inclusive would be. Everything is there if you need it, but nothing is pushed upon you.

Rupert the bar keeper is one of the sweetest people I have ever met, and I would go back to the Jamaica Inn just to visit him again. Lots of repeat guests.

We met some wonderful people at the Jamaica Inn. Many guests went into town, but we never left. My husband said he could stay a week without going anywhere. Me, I am a little more anxious to get out and see some sites. So, we took a boat ride with Tony. Nice fellow, and that satisfied my urge to roam.
We will try to go back to the Jamaica Inn sooner than later.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susie_Q_ca
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I went there for 5 nights with my husband to celebrate our anniversary. Overall we loved it and want to go back ASAP.

Details:

food - We thought the food overall was very good - excellent quality. We bought the "modified American plan" (breakfast/dinner only) and found it to be worth the money. We didn't really miss lunch, as the breakfasts include so much food, you really don't need lunch, unless you are looking to gain weight (and even w/o lunch, you may STILL end up gaining weight...). Bar drinks are pretty expensive, though we didn't order many of those (for example, a Dirty Banana was ~$15). Dinners are 5 course, if you don't buy a meal plan then it's ~$90/pp. I'm a picky eater, and I had no problems finding things I liked or even trying new things that I loved here.

beach - is excellent. It is a good size beach for the number of guests, so you never feel crowded or have to sit very close to others if you don't want to. The beach butlers are great, they usually come around 2-3 times to see if you need anything, but they don't push drinks. There is a small beach bar also, so if you happen to need something when a beach butler isn't around, you only have to walk a few paces to order it. Also, there was never a need to hurry down to the beach to stake out your chair like at some resorts; people seemed to begin filtering down there somewhere between 9-10, but there seemed to be plenty of room with good locations on the beach, even if you didn't get out until later.

suite/accommodations - Style is sort of a simple but elegant plantation-style. We had the entry-level suite (superior balcony), and we loved it. The only thing I would change about it is to make it just a bit bigger, it was slightly on the small side. It really wasn't too bad, and I would probably stay in this same suite again, even if size isn't ideal (for me). The suites do have A/C and ceiling fans. Our ceiling fan was rather noisy, so we didn't use it much, but we did use A/C at night. There are no screens on the windows as pointed out by others, so you *may* get the occasional bug in your room. We did see a mosquito every now and then, but we really did not have any issues with them at night, so I didn't think it was a big deal. The bathroom was nice - no frills; the size was fine (I think another reviewer had said they were small), though the door was kind of in an in-the-way spot. As I've seen noted before, the shower temperature seems to be uncontrollable. Mostly it was lukewarm, sometimes it would be warm, but it didn't bother us too much. There was once or twice when we really wanted it to be warm and it wasn't, but mostly lukewarm is fine since you're usually showering after a (hot) day at the beach anyway. While I wouldn't say the suite/bathroom was "luxurious", they were quite lovely and very comfortable. One thing I did notice was the lock on our suite door didn't seem all that secure. However we did not ever feel unsafe at the resort, so it was not a concern for us...I only mention it because it may be a concern for others. The furnished balcony is great too. We ate all breakfasts there - it was a small (~$7) charge, but well worth being able to eat on your own balcony every morning.

fitness center - needs updating as others have said. The manager did tell us they're aware that it is lacking and they plan to improve it in the future (not sure exactly when). While it's true that you don't go there to hit the gym, it is still nice to have the option for those that have a regular fitness routine. Equipment is: 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical, 1 bike, 2 weight benches, weights. The gym has no A/C, 1 small fan that is aimed at the treadmill (so if you're not using the treadmill, this fan doesn't exist), and an overhead ceiling fan that produces a bit of a breeze. Just be prepared to be dripping in sweat. The room also has water and towels.

resort - is gorgeous - not too big yet seems like there's plenty of room for the guests. The resort is set far back from the beach (not on top of the beach like other places). The grounds are well-kept, and you often see workers outside tending to the grounds. (There is also a pool and croquet court, but we didn't really use them.) There is also wi-fi available in the suites -- for no extra charge. The signal could be a bit spotty, but overall it worked well and we appreciated having it included.

staff - very friendly and seemingly genuinely concerned about making sure everything is to your satisfaction. I heard the staff ratio is something like 3 staff per guest, and it shows. Everyone we encountered was very friendly. By the time we left, well, we didn't want to leave.

atmosphere - very low key and relaxed. the only entertainment is nightly at dinner. while we were there, they mostly did "easy listening" kinds of songs, we assumed for the crowd that is mostly in the 50+ age range (we're not). The entertainment wasn't great - since it seemed geared to the over-50 crowd, but it wasn't bad, just not our taste (something more "authentic" would have been nice, even if only occasionally...). We loved that the beach was pretty quiet - no kids, no rowdy groups - the perfect place to relax and enjoy the view and mostly sunny warm weather. If you want to party, don't come here - this is the wrong place for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lynnlynnTravel
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Each and every visit to Jamaica Inn is better than the last!

We decided years ago that this little gem of a hotel is the only place we can relax and and enjoy our limited time off. The stellar service, the wonderful dining experiences, Teddy's rum punch, the perfect beach, and our peaceful verandah. Did I forget the spa, the library and better WiFi service than we receive at home?

Back to service - three cheers to a staff that welcome's you home! The problem is you can't take them home. I can honestly say that we truely care for these warm, loving friends, who not only remember you, but love their jobs.

Jamaica Inn is a true winner, thank you all for another magic stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!