“Best of Jamaica”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cornelius, North Carolina
“Best of Jamaica”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Good as it gets in Jamaica! That was my experience during my stay at Jamaica Inn. The staff takes care of all details, insuring a pleasurable visit to this side of the island. Rooms are immaculate with open air bedrooms on the ocean. No need to leave the premises for meals; all meals were and the menu was different each day.
Can't say enough about the quality!

Room Tip: Take the boat trip to the falls!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank george60898

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 24 December 2012

My sister and I stayed at Jamaica Inn in November, it is the most perfect place for a calm, peaceful, restful vacation. We loved the private beach, the amazing staff and attention to detail over all of our requests. Mary, the hotel manager checked on us the day after we arrived to make sure we were happy with everything. When I told her as vegetarians we didn't find too many options on the menu, she informed me she too was a vegetarian and would be happy to speak to the chef and prepare veggie choices for us. We wanted to try cuisine in different restaurants and didn't have the opportunity to take her up on her offer.
There is one note of caution for people traveling to Jamaica, the medical service available there is not the best, you may have medical insurance but that will not get you great medical service. My sister had a medical emergency and I was appalled at the medical care she received. The only saving grace was, Mary Phillips, Sherlene, Kingston, the amazing housekeeping staff and Andrew the driver who ferried us back to the hotel from the hospital.
Everyone at Jamaica Inn treated us as if we were family, all of my needs were attended to while I took care of my sister. Had it not been for Mary taking care of all the details I don't know how I would have managed. She sent away for medication I needed as well as ordering Indian food for my sister from a restaurant in Ohco Rios. She went above and beyond the call of duty!
I am so grateful for Mary and her exemplary staff, thank you for taking such good care of us!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #43 it's right on the beach, just perfect! Rooms are small, but then, you spen...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sunita S
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2012

As you first arrive your expectations might be not be exactly fulfilled. The resort has a shabby chik sort of appearance. There is nothing grandor about the place, the rooms are a bit under the bar the website pictures set, and overall the place is somewhat underwhelimg.

As you stay however, the resort quickly grows on you for all the right reasons. The resort staff is top notch. The provide just the right level of service at all times. You can feel completely relaxed at all times. The place is so quite and laid back you soon relax its true existance.

The food is above average, Dinner is especially good. As normal the service at dining is perfect.

Improvement Ideas - Beach Service - Put fresh towels and lounge covers on the chairs for guests. Offer water to the guests throughout the day instead of the self servce cooler near the bar as its a far walk from one side and people may not have a bottle to fill. I know the TV room isn't a high priority, but if its going to be offered, make it nicer. The current state of that space is less than diseriable (some people do want to catch a game, as silly as it seems on vacation, its impt to some people). Details in rooms can be attended too. Spilled paint on the roof, wicker on the bed chipped, etc... (Nothing big on the rooms, just small details)

Drinks - My biggest complaint. The drink prices in my opinion are much too high. $16-20 per drink with the service and taxes. I walked .25M up the main road to a mini mart and bought beers and rum at roughly $1.00 a beer (same beer as resort) and $18.00 for a bottle of rum and some bottles of coke zero. I put this in my fridge at the room and enjoyed :). I would reccomend taking this walk and/or having your driver stop on the way in to save a few bucks if your not ont he AI plan at the resort.

Overall - I would return. Not right away. This resort serves an impt purpose in travel. RELAXATION. This can not and should not be understated. This is the best get away from it all place I have ever been.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jeffrey S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed in mid December for 5 nights and were blessed by great weather for the duration of our stay.

The staff at the Inn are exceptional, everyone always speaks to you as they pass, and nothing seems to be too much trouble, both from our own experience and from what we saw around us.

Age range of the guests was from early 20s to graceful retirees.

We didn't have dinner in the restaurant, found the allure of dining on our verandah too enticing, however breakfast in the restaurant, lunch on the beach and dinner on our verandah was always tasty.

The private beach was fantastic, more than enough loungers for everyone, and attentively looked after by the staff. We particularly enjoyed our late afternoon cocktail at the beach bar each day.

We received a complimentary upgrade to a verandah room (thank-you) and found it to be wonderful, comfortable, and nothing quite like relaxing in the verandah at night listening to the band in the dining room. And a big thank you for the birthday cake for my husband.

If you are after a comfortable, relaxing holiday (who would have guessed I could go without tv for 5 nights) then give the Jamaica Inn a try, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mazzieg
Oregon House, California, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The Jamaica Inn is for people who know how to amuse themselves. The extremely attentive staff is always at hand to supply anything one could wish, including knowing when to leave one alone. The rooms are beautiful; the beach, superb; the food, excellent. After a few days, the thought came that I had not realized how much I needed a time for doing nothing. And clearly, when one needs to do that, this is the best place.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful. Extra money merely buys a little more space or shortens the very short walk...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Girard H
Oregon House, California, United States
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My wife and I traveled for a get-away before an expected busy month. It was perfect. The staff is uncommonly accommodating without being obtrusive. The rooms are casual and inviting while having a tropical elegance. The common patios are expansive, warm, and gracious and a wonderful before dinner venue. The meals are accompanied by a modest yet diverse menu that accommodates all discerning palates. Best of is the beach, set in a cove with a coral reef a short swim away -- paradise!

Room Tip: Great views an second floor. The beach-front rooms in the single story annex arer special.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard K
California
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Was really an amazing experience to have the pristine, private beach (always with plenty of empty chairs) and very cordial service. Was so inspired that I painted even more than usual - had a really wonderful time! - Hoping to go back.
What I'm not used to in hotels is that the owners and managers were always casually availalble for any questions.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!