“Fantastic, wonderful hotel”

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 July 2008

I have never written a review for a hotel before despite being a very frequent traveller but we have just returned from two weeks in Jamaica Inn, Ocho Rios and we had such a wonderful holiday I wanted to let others know what a great place this is.

We have a rule that we will never go back to a hotel that we have visited as there are so many locations that we still have to try but I think we will now be regular visitors to the Jamaica Inn. From the minute you arrive until the minute you leave the whole experience is fantastic.

The hotel, is relatively small compared to many of the larger hotel groups in the town such as Sandals but this makes it much more personal I believe. We were met by the general manager upon arrival and quickly checked into our room and suitcases delivered immediately which was great after our long journey from the UK (a long transfer from Kingston). Montego Bay airport is probably closer.

We woke on the first morning to the beautiful private beach and clear waters and immediately relaxed. Our room was great (we were upgraded upon arrival to a verandah suite) and only 20 metres from the beach. Having stayed at the hotel I do not think that any of the rooms will have a bad view although some may be a little louder if they are near the restaurant when they have live music. Having said this the entertainment is fairly low key and not that loud and does not carry on late into the night.

The food was excellent whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner as was the choice of drinks. The staff serving were also excellent many of them having worked at the hotel for a number of years especially the guys on the beach bar one of which has worked there for 50 years!! As a result he has some great stories of the famous guests that have stayed there! I would definitely recommend any of the Daiquiri's, they were all great. I would also recommend the fish dishes they serve which were excellent.

In addition, I would recommend the garden tour with Henry who will take you around the hotel talking about the flowers and fruits in the wonderfully maintained gardens.

There are also a couple of Kayaks and small sailing boats for use of the guests free which I would recommend. Albert who looks after these is also very helpful and willing to spend some time with you to perfect your sailing skills!

The hotel is perfect if you want a relaxing holiday in a beautiful location. I would not recommend the hotel if you want lots and lots of activities, organised functions and late night partying. I would also not take children as they may be bored but for couples looking for a relaxing break and the opportunity to venture out of the hotel and explore I wouldn't go anywhere else in Ocho Rios. We did do some excursions with Tony who works with the hotel to dunns river falls, laughing waters and snorkeling which I would also recommend. They will just take couples so the schedule is completely around you which is also perfect.

The hotel is situated about 4km from Ocho Rios town so a very short taxi ride or about a 30 minute walk.

We also paid to upgrade to the White Suite on our last night which is just superb (private swimming pool, sea access and numerous areas to sunbathe and relax). Winston Churchill stayed in the suite and you can see why!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrewcant304

Reviewed 28 June 2008

My wife and I chose this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary based on the wonderful reviews we had read on this web site. We were not disappointed in the least; without doubt this has been the best holiday experience we have had in our 25 years of married life. Quite simply from the moment we arrived until we left 2 weeks later it felt like we were being treated like royalty, all the staff we met were very professional in the way they went about their business, and more importantly in my opinion always had a smile on their faces and nothing was too much effort for them.

We paid the extra for a premier suite overlooking the water facing Ocho Rios and didn’t regret it. Every morning after breakfast we returned to feed the fish from our verandah, watched a Green Heron fishing six feet from us and on occasions, marvelled at a Brown Pelican plunging into the water for fish a little further out. But best of all were the evenings we spent watching the sun go down before heading off for pre-dinner cocktails and the nights entertainment, absolutely breathtaking.

I will not repeat what the other guests have said about the wonderful food, beautifully clean beach and unique charm this hotel has, as it is all true. What I will mention though, is take advantage of the excursions on offer if you have not been to Jamaica before. We had a great time riding on horseback in the sea, cycling down mountain roads in the Blue Mountains, plunging into mountain pools under refreshing waterfalls and even swimming with crocodiles in the Black River, what an experience!

When the time came to go home we were very disappointed we had been treated so well by all the staff we felt like we were leaving family and home behind. But as they say in Jamaica, “You have to leave to come back” and we will most definitely be doing that. I can’t recommend this hotel enough, stay here and you will not regret it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Planesman
Reviewed 26 June 2008

Well, I have to say that I'm not usually one to write this type of online review. However, the ones I read on this site were so helpful in our selection process, I figured I may be able to help someone else.

Having said that, my wife and I spent 5 days, 4 nights celebrating our 10th anniversary at Jamaica Inn and could not have been more pleased with our selection. This place truly is the definition of affordable seclusion. We are not easily impressed, and frankly, usually a little disappointed that the real thing doesn't live up to the brochure, if you will. Well, I can say without hesitation that if you view the review photos on this site and Jamaica Inn's website, you will not be disappointed upon arrival! I think what impressed us the most was the fact that there were times when we literally had the entire beach to ourselves....only the bartenders and beach attendents sitting quietly at their posts, eagerly awaiting your request(s). I can only reiterate what has been said time and again.....if peace and quiet solitude, without distractions, on a most charming little beach are your vacation goals, do not pass this one by. I'm not sure it can be beat for the money.

Tip of the day: If you drink alcohol at all and plan to eat most, or all, meals on site, go ahead and get the all-inclusive. That way you won't fret about that extra $11 glass of wine or $15 calamari appetizer.

• Stayed: June 2008
4  Thank EACTB
Reviewed 20 June 2008

If you want peace and quiet, first class food and service, a good beach, clean and spacious rooms without TVs and DVDs, a verandah to chill out on, and rum punch on the beach then this is the place for you. If not, please don't go to spoil the delightful atmosphere for others! This is a gem of a hotel that needs a preservation order. We could not fault any aspect of our stay. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William18
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I just got back from a fabulous stay at the Jamaica Inn! I was a little nervous to take the trip as I went alone; however, the staff made me feel right at home and set me at ease. I would recommend this Inn as the pefect get away from it all destination.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank whiteking
Reviewed 1 May 2008

We opted for the private car transfer from Montego Bay to the hotel. Our driver was on time and had complementary drinks for what ended up being about a 1.5 hr drive. Arrival and check in was perfect. Our bags were delivered to our room and complementary Rum drinks were delivered soon after.

We stayed in a Superior Suite which was more than adequate and comfortable. Like others have said, the Superior Suite has more privacy since it is on the second floor and better views than those on the first floor below which are actually more expensive. The beach was never crowded and you always had plenty of your own space. For that matter the hotel was never crowded anywhere - when we got our pictures back there was never anyone in the background except for dinner - quite amazing actually. We also took out the kayak and did some freelance snorkeling on the reef just out from the hotel. Careful with the Sunfish though - one couple got out and couldn't get back so they had to send a "rescue" boat for them - a bit embarrassing for them but we enjoyed the laugh.

The food was great as well. There was an option to have breakfast on your balcony which we did about half the days. Tea, coffee, juice, bread, a huge plate of fruit, etc. all delivered and set up on your balcony with fine silverware and white linen - truly great service. Lunch and dinner was similarly well done. Dinner included 7 courses - each was unique and well presented. There was also live music every night with dinner. At dinner we almost felt that we had the resort to ourselves. Even though the hotel was quite full there was probably always less than 20 people eating on the patio at any one time - only 10 of the 30 or so tables being filled. I think a lot of people have dinner in their suites which cuts down on those on the patio. Great candlelit dinner under the stars.

If I had one recommendation, it would be not to plan on much time in Ocho Rios itself (the city). We spent about 2 hrs in town just for a couple souvenirs and that was plenty - we were very very ready to get back to the solitude of the Jamaica Inn...

• Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank travelers1526
Reviewed 30 April 2008

My wife and I decided on a trip to Jamaica... where to stay? After a lot of researching between all the choices (location, activities, service, and value) we decided on the Jamaica Inn. We took the transfer (not the private one from the hotel although we might next time) so we could see all of the resorts on the way. If you fly into Montego Bay and take a bus transfer purchased from Jamaica Tours, it'll be about a 2 hour trip. You'll stop once about 25 minutes outside of the airport where to can pick up drinks, food, and souvenirs. There is a just completed highway (about 8 years late according to locals) that will take you all the way from the airport in Montego Bay to the Jamaica Inn resort just outside of Ocho Rios where the cruise ships come into port. Since you're going to the Jamaica Inn (basically, the last stop) you'll see a good number of the resorts you've come to know about through all of your looking online.
Some people may have a better imagination, but I can't imagine a nicer place to stay. You are treated so cordially it seems almost like you're royalty. Once you're checked in (very quick), you'll be shown around briefly and taken to your room where you will soon be visited with your luggage and a nice drink. Don't worry about tipping right now (you can leave something before you return home) - it's built into the price. Basically, at this place relaxation is the name of the game. While there are sailboats and kayaks available (they'll sail it for you), you can choose to go snorkeling (a reef is close by) or just float on a mat. The beach seems to be crushed shell and is kept in great condition. The thatched beach umbrellas complete the idyllic picture of a Caribbean getaway.
There are a few places to eat - not as in different restaurants on the grounds - but actual locations. For breakfast, it's pretty much on your rooms back deck or on the breakfast terrace overlooking the ocean. For lunch, you can have it under the umbrella on the beach or a couple of spots around the main building. For dinner, you can have it on your back deck (very nicely done), a table setup on the beach, the main dining yard, or, if it's a Tuesday evening, they'll roll a bunch of tables out to the beach and its buffet style (think very upscale country club - not lunch at Pizza Hut). You'll just give your room number anytime you want something - no need to carry any cash or cards. A bar is located on the beach, so if you want anything while on the beach, they will take care of you. If you decide to go off site for eating, most places will send a taxi for you (make sure you request it or you'll be paying $24.00 for a taxi ride). Only accept rides from the taxis with red license plates or what is arranged for you by the Jamaica Inn staff. There are several choices for dining if you venture out - can't go wrong with Evita's close to downtown Ocho Rios.
Unless it's a must, don't worry about bringing a laptop - they have wireless if you do - there is a computer in the library where you can surf. Not sure of everyone else, we could not call out on our blackberries although we could receive calls. If we wanted to make a call, we had to use the phone in our rooms. Make sure to bring an extra battery for each of your accessories (media player, camera, etc.) as we had some issues getting our stuff recharged.
We stayed from Monday until Saturday. We ate out twice for dinner and once for lunch. If you never left, you wouldn't feel you like missed out on anything... the food and service is that good. On our final bill, we were pleasantly surprised to find it was considerably lower than we thought it would be due to all of our indulgences. You can be as outgoing or anonymous as you like at this place. This place specializes in the little things (a fresh pitcher of water and tub of ice) saves you looking for an ice machine or drinking bottled water all of the time. The gift shop is well stocked for your convenience. Their spa is top notch and located on the backside of property overlooking the water. We met some people who had visited 25-35 times... I can see why. We plan on going back. Next time, we'll stay longer, bring more books, and pack half of the clothes as we did this time.
On your way back, you can either get a private transfer from the resort or you can take a transfer from an operator like Jamaica Tours. We didn't choose the private one this time and we arrived in plenty of time to go through airline check in and customs... don't forget patience and manners as you'll need both in this airport when it's busy. By the way, you'll stop back by the shopping/dining area you originally hit on the way to the resort to spend any loose change.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!