“Beautiful Honeymoon”

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here for our honeymoon and it was wonderful. I preferred the balcony because of the view and privacy. We loved having dinners served on the balcony - the staff was excellent. The beach was so quiet and peaceful. All the staff were lovely and attentive. The room was so freshly painted and immaculate which I really appreciated. The only downside is that we got a little bored by the end of the stay since there's only one restaurant and the food was ok. I would definitely stay again if I needed to rest and zone out but if I was looking for action I might go elsewhere. It's quite a trek from the airport as well.

Room Tip: I liked the balcony for the view and private dining experience.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I spent 12 days in the Jamaica Inn from Easter Sunday 2014 until May 2nd 2014 and it is a truly peaceful place, I had come to the Jamaica Inn for swimming after a big operation and the sea there in this little bay with the private beach is just ideal for that. The hotel is very well kept and nicely furnished. It has a lot of atmosphere, I loved the library, it gave you the feeling of being at home .I had a big room with a wonderful view overlooking the hotel grounds, the beach and the sea and a big balcony with an armchair, a fridge and even a sofa on it, all kept in the colours blue and white.
There were hardly any insects and I enjoyed lying on the deckchair under one of the almond trees on the beach reading. I liked the fact that beach towels are provided at the beach and that they are nicely decorated in big baskets, - tasteful. There was never a hurry or any loud noise, no TV, no radio, not even at the beach bar, no animation, - and everyone seemed to enjoy just that!
The Jamaican staff was very friendly in a natural way,- you are truly looked after well in this grand little hotel. It feels a bit like a family place, the owner or the manager is around all day to make sure everything goes well.
The Jamaica Inn is an expensive place. I found it worthwhile though and I would love to come back one day. However it is not okay to be charged 10 US Dollars (about 7 Euros) for a cup of coffee!

Finally I would like to share something special that happened to me at the Jamaica Inn. When I got there very tired on Easter Sunday after a long journey, I met a Canadian lady by the PC in the library and we talked for just a few minutes. She had come down from near Montreal with her family over Easter and was going back home the next morning. She told me that they had been to the Jamaica Inn a few times before and that they loved it there. I told her that I had only booked breakfast for my 12 days because it was such an expensive hotel,- she agreed on that but added that I would be well looked after there.
Two days later I received a call from the reception and was told that someone had purchased a dinner for me,- she wouldn't tell me who.
So the next Sunday evening I had a nice dinner with candlelight and the band playing and it was only the very last evening that I found out that it was the lady from Canada who had invited me for this dinner, a dinner that costs 110 US Dollars. Thank you Louise for your kindness - and thank you for pointing out that the Jamaica Inn is a special place!

Room Tip: I had room 58 on the top floor, I loved the room because of the view, but I didn't like the Jama...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Anneliese R
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Jamaica Inn. It was absolutely wonderful. Our room (#20) in the West Wing overlooked the water, which was romantic and relaxing. The verandah was a huge bonus. The beach at the hotel was very nice with clear blue waters. You can snorkel right off the beach and there are plenty of other water activities. The food was very good, some of the best we have had at a Caribbean hotel. We have seen nicer facilities at other hotels, but what makes Jamaica Inn truly special is the staff. Every employee seemed very happy and excelled at customer service. If we needed anything, whether on the beach on in our room, we had it within minutes. We really appreciated the personal touch from the owners, Eric and Peter. Kyle, the GM, was also very nice. The manager's cocktail party and the beach cookout on Tuesday was great fun. Our massages at the spa were great. We will be back!

Room Tip: The White Suite and Cottage 7 are awesome, but the Premier Verandah Suites in the West Wing may be t...
2  Thank jp913
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife pronouced last week to be one of her favorite vacations ever and I agree. The staff was amazing, the resort very relaxing, food was tasty. No need to go on any excursions since we had had everything we needed at the resort. Massage was sooooo relaxing. Cottage 2 has the best view We will be going back next year.

Oh yea, fishing with Tony was a waste of time.

Room Tip: Cottage 2 has the best view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jagfan9999
Reviewed 4 May 2014

After a fabulous holiday in 2011, we returned to Jamaica Inn for another dose of paradise last month. I'm delighted to say that, even though the manager has changed, the standard was as high as ever and little had changed (with a few small improvements, if anything). The location is absolutely outstanding - it really is heaven on earth! The beach is perfect and the service on the beach was impeccable, with cold fruit punch or Planters punch served every morning and with comfortable sun beds and parasols. The rooms are simple but comfortable and they are kept meticulously clean. The piece de resistance is the wonderful verandah, where I think we spent many happy hours reading, looking out over the gardens and the beach and, on a couple of occasions, dining in style.

Other than on one occasion when the service went completely wrong, breakfast was a complete delight, with the freshest fruit, juices and pastries you could wish for, as well as an abundance of hot choices. Not good for the waistline! Dinners were stylish and delicious, even though we realised we needed to take our torches to be able to read the menus!

This was the perfect, relaxing holiday for the two of us and our two teenage daughters and we will be sure to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank delligill
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I don't profess to be a world traveler and I do consider myself a bit of a foodie. I wanted to address some of the not so perfect reviews, oh wait, there isn't any ! Here are some insights on other reviews.

I love children more than most but this is a place to leave them home, it is more comfortable for adults and children seem out of place here. Not that you couldn't bring them, however I would try to find a sitter.

The food, ever been to an island? I would rate the food quality here better or as good as anyplace I have dinned. I wiped my plate clean on almost every serving. Preparations are simple with Caribbean flair. For a week stay there is more than enough choices to satisfy.

Service, well, everyone raves about the service and for good reason. Almost every staff member makes you feel special. They make you feel that they sincerely want to please. Hey boss, can the guys wear Bermuda shorts with their uniforms on the beach? Everyone did look very classy but I felt sorry for them in the heat wearing dress pants. Stretch, smiles and greetings made us light up...think he's working on employee of the month..cannot help but smile when you see him..I could mention almost everyone but the list would be around 150 names.

Grounds, well well maintained and the gardeners are the friendliest, smiling bunch of guys..kudos. If there would happened to be a weekly staff meeting, please mention how their smiling greeting made our day.

Beach, the best I could see in the area. Manicured daily, clear blue water and if you want to snorkel, head over to the west side. There are a few small living coral heads and tiny groups of fish. I counted over 40 species though be it in very small quantities.

Rooms, all rooms appeared to be great. Your only choice should be facing the beach, how close to the sand do you want to be or do you want sunsets every evening while getting ready for cocktails. The rooms are clean and appropriate for island life. Furniture was fine, you don't want to feel like you're at your grandmother's house and afraid to sit on the couch right?

We had a rough winter, jobs are killing us; we were not up for any excursions but plenty are available. We were content to stay on property our entire stay and do nothing. The Jamaica Inn delivers nothing very well!

Ok, now for telling time. There is a pot of coffee at the bar around 6 am for those early risers. Then there is breakfast, we chose the all inclusive breakfast plan and ate well. At 11 am rum and fruit punch is severed to you at your beach chair. Around 1 pm, the vary well dress staff bring you menus so that you may order your lunch and dine never having to leave your chair. 4:00 o'clock, tea with finger sandwiches, cookies and cakes, by the way, everything is homemade. At 7 pm, civilized cocktail hour or two where guest can mingle and little delicacies are delivered to you while sipping your beverage of choice. 8 pm dinner with the band.

The band, guest appeared to be off all ages from honeymooners to those that have been coming for years. The bands are wonderful period! They seem to be suppressed by management a bit. It's a shame, they really are very good and when they get to let go and play the vibe really changes..Free the band !!!

Would we go back, life is short and we are trying to see as many countries as God will allow. We rarely or never go back to the same place but sitting on the beach, we actually began to plan our return visit. This was not just due to the beach and resort but equally due to the people. Well done!

7  Thank john b
Reviewed 1 May 2014

If you are looking for PARTYPARTYPARTYDAYANDNIGHT... Then this is not your hotel. If you want peace, beauty, classic, casual elegance, delicious food, impeccable service, a quiet, manicured, secluded beach, and few kids, then this is the place for you. We spent four days there last week (our first visit) and felt more rested and recharged than after much longer vacations lots of other places. It is a true refuge. The online photos are entirely accurate -- it really is that beautiful. Drink a dirty banana, read your book, and reconnect with your significant other. With no TVs or radios, it feels like the rhythms of this place are timeless and maybe haven't changed for 50 years. That's because there is nothing to change. We are already planning our return.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room, numbers 41-47. The beach is your front yard. Perfect! Or get a cottage if...
3  Thank Greg M
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!