“Best Place Ever!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Redondo Beach
“Best Place Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Jamaica Inn. Ironically, friends of ours (who also wrote a review here about a year ago - Hi Cris & Tilo!) also honeymooned there, and highly recommended the Inn.

This was, by far, THE BEST place we have ever stayed! We honeymooned in the White Suite, which was also occupied by Winston Churchill and the King of Yugoslavia at one point. This was a lovely 2000 square foot suite with a wonderful private plunge pool and it's own lookout point. There was a ladder that went right into the water from the terrace of this suite, and we had some of the best snorkeling around just outside our door! We also made a point of getting to know the staff - who were extremely helpful and friendly. They taught us how to play croquet and would often just stop by our table to chat during dinner. We decided that we wanted the dinner and breakfast plan, and all meals were fantastic and there were lots of options!

If I had to pick a disadvantage, it would have to be that the other big touristy resorts like Plantation and Sandals were quite loud at night and the echoing came right into our room. Not to mention, our suite was a frequent attraction for boats full of tourists who would snap pictures of us in our soft, Jamaica Inn robes every few hours. The Sandal's and Plantation boat passengers certainly couldn't hide the look on their faces when they saw the Jamaica Inn. You could tell they had wished they stayed at our Inn instead. As my husband says "those huge places are like daycare centers for adults". Touche.

This is a very cozy, quaint Inn that is reminiscent of old school Hollywood. I believe Marilyn Monroe even visited our suite at one point. The hotel is by no means, large and touristy - which was one of the reasons we loved it. It was quiet, friendly, and as the lovely manager Mary pointed out, the hotel is run like a home, not an Inn.

If you're looking for 7am water aerobics classes and a "dance till you drop" salsa contest, this is not the place for you. The Jamaica Inn truly reflects the style, ambiance, comfort, and wonderful people of Jamaica.

Susan & Mark
Redondo Beach, CA

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank Susan_and_Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Montclair, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2006

My girlfriend and I spent a much needed restful week at the Inn. My girlfriend is a native of the island however it was my first visit.

The Inn was exactly has showcased on their website. Our room was lovely, and the verandah extended towards the beach. The view was spectacular day or night. Surprisingly we did not miss the TV or the radio. They have a TV room but we did not feel the need to have the TV wash over us, when we were surrounded by so much beauty.

On our second day at the Inn, we had booked a couple's massage at the Spa. The Spa layout overlooked the beach and the room in which the massage took place was situated right over the waters. You felt relaxed before the massage has even begun and afterwards, you simply wanted to be left there on the massage bed for the rest of your days.

The meals at the Inn were delicious; we especially enjoyed drinks being served on the beach and Tea times. The staffs at the Inn and Spa were all smiles and eager to ensure you were having an enjoyable stay. Room service was always very prompt and the Chef was the best - thanks for the delicious Ackee and Salt-fish breakfast. Turn down service every night.

On our last night at the Inn there was a bonfire soiree - a wide variety of dishes displayed buffet style for our enjoyment. I tasted every delectable morsel (I was surprised I did not have a stomach ache the next day). Soothing music echoed by the waves lapping on the beach as we watched the flames of the bonfire. We enjoyed our last evening with new friends saying good-bye; and a chance for us to have one last romantic evening in paradise. The next day, Rupert, bartender and crochet expert (smiles) surprised us with a big smile and two complimentary Planter Punches a few minutes before check.

Special thanks to Mary Phillips, GM and her staff for making our vacation one of the best. We are already planning our return before the year is out

Stayed July 2006
14 Thank Sweetcheeks2006
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

The food is lovely. The rooms are lovely, even if the bathrooms are a little bit old. The verandas are lovely and ours had a fan (maybe they all do). we got a room facing the garden, not directly on the beach. You may not want a room on the beach because they get direct sunlight all afternoon long and there is nowhere to hide (it is VERY HOT - you will want to hide sometimes). Also, if you have a room on the garden then you MUST pass the bar on your way to the sea.

The nightly entertainment was lovely - especially the song about "the big bamboo". Food is excellent - we did not eat out once in our five night stay. Service is impecable. When were were there is seemed that there were 4 staff members to each guest.

The resort is very quiet - only music at the bar during the day - it is a peaceful and adult atmosphere.

At night there are VERY LOUD crickets. Louder than any crickets you have ever heard in your life. The air conditioning does not drown them out. Bring earplugs.

Mary Phillips, the manager, was very accessible and helpful.

The resort looks EXACTLY like the photos.

• Stayed June 2006
17 Thank 111patricia
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our 25th wedding anniversary. I chose the Classics of Jamaica Package which is three nights at the Jamaica Inn and three nights at Round Hill in Montego Bay. Our experience at Jamaica Inn was superior to Round Hill (I will review Round Hill at their site) and needless to say, we plan on returning to Jamaica Inn. All positive reviews of the Inn are true. My husband was leary of visiting Jamaica in the first place so I was nervous how he would feel about where we were staying. Jamaica Inn far exceeded our expectations from the rooms, the service, the beach and the food. We were sorry to leave after just three days but felt we needed to see another part of Jamaica. We now know that Jamaica Inn is the only place to stay when visiting Jamaica. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay such a pleasure - especially to Samantha and Patrice. We can't wait to see everyone again next year. Rick and Julie

• Stayed July 2006
10 Thank ccmo
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2006

Jamaica Inn
June 2006

A beautiful hotel filled with charm and understated sophistication.
The rooms are restful in blues and whites, with a beautiful arrangement of tropical flowers on the dressing table. Each room has its own verandah type sitting room, with a view of the lovely Caribbean Sea, where you can enjoy room service from elegantly clad, gentle Jamaican men.
The dining area under the stars can be enjoyed after being lulled by a tropical sunset in the peaceful outdoor bar.
They have a fine beach where one can swim out of one's depth, if you so desire!
To add to their charm, they also indulge thier guests with complimentary drinks on occasion!
A true home from home.

7 Thank RonsyRoo
Avery, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2006

Before our trip, I read a number of Trip Advisor reviews, and even contacted a reviewer with additional questions. He very kindly responded, and helped me understand what was included in "all inclusive."

I still cannot decide if going all inclusive (AI) was the best way to go, but I feel we got our money's worth. The best thing about all inclusive is that, if you want to order champagne (offered by the glass only, as are all beverages) you don't have to think twice.

When you look at the breakfast and lunch menu prices, you can see that the cost of just those two meals adds up pretty quickly. The full breakfast for one person is $25.95, and that does not include 15% gratuity and 8.25% tax. So the $145 that we paid for the AI (may vary according to season) per person per day, which includes all food, beverages, gratuities and taxes, seemed very reasonable.

The staff is professional but fun and they learn who you are pretty quickly. Though they ask your room number each time you order anything, even on the AI plan, they probably knew which room was yours by the second day. Gratuities are always a bit of a problem for me, because I tend to overtip, and I had to restrain myself from tipping when a staff member brought breakfast to our room each morning. It is quite an elaborate affair for a beach hotel, as they set up the verandah table with a linen table cloth and all the accompanying niceties, and take some time in doing so. However, to have any meal delivered to your room means an additional five dollars, so that--on top of the 15% gratuity--seemed adequate.

I will say that when we were taken to our room and our bags delivered, my husband asked about gratutities, and we were told that they were always appreciated. I then asked, "So even though we are on the all inclusive plan, and gratuities are included, they are not necessary but are appreciated?" He said, "Yes maam, that is it exactly."

Enough about gratuitites...on to more pertinent data about the resort. From the reveiws I read, I knew what to expect regarding the rooms and the non-screened windows. We kept the air conditioning going in the bedroom 24 hours a day, keeping the shutters closed all the time, and the drapes pulled as well. This seemed to be quite adequate in keeping the room comfortably cool and the mosquitoes out. A ceiling fan in the bedroom added to the comfort level. It is June, so it was quite hot on the verandah, but there was a ceiling fan right outside the bedroom door. We moved our dining table back under the fan for comfort while we ate. We also took mosquito coils and lit them anytime we were on the verandah, and that kept us well protected from bites.

In terms of decor, the rooms were adequate, not more. I just have to say that you don't go to a resort like this if you expect to spend all your time in the room. However, the special attention paid to comfort and detail added a degree of luxury that belied the simplicity of the room. Towels were always fresh, as they were changed twice a day. The room was always well-cleaned, and the turn-down service was so very nice. The cleaning staff seems to take more pride in their work than almost any place I have stayed. (I did track down our maid one day and gave her a nice tip, along with my thanks, because she had been doing an exeptional job.) It was so nice to be out on the beach for hours, then come back to an immaculate room. Nice touches, as other reviewers mentioned, included the towels shaped like swans and put on your bed with fresh flowers. Fresh flowers in the bedroom, the bathroom and on the verandah were different each day. The water pressure in our premier verandah room was quite good. After our evening meal, we returned to a freshened room with our bed turned down and all beverage glasses removed. Very nice. The bed and bedding were very comfy (high thread-count sheets) and I loved my pillow so much that I seriously considered inquiring about buying it...and I am picky about pillows!

Perhaps one of the nicest treats was lunch on the beach. At one o'clock, a waiter appears with a menu and takes your order, then approximately thirty minutes later returns with a tray which he places on the table between your lounge chairs. It is heavenly to sunbathe, dip in the gorgeous waters of the Caribbean, relax, eat on the beach, then lie back after the tray is promptly removed, and continue to be lazy. Okay, I gained three pounds, but it was worth it! The beach has a remarkably cool breeze all the time, which is another reason to stay there as much as you can. Eating on the upper terrace during the day can be very hot, though it is covered. We noticed, however, that the breeeze is nice everywhere on the property in the daytime compared to the evening, when it seems to just go away; thus, the "hot" dinners on the open terrace (different than the covered terrace) that other reviewers wrote about. You just have to get used to it. The variety of music offered up each evening was very good, and there is a "dance floor" of sorts for people like us who enjoy dancing. The only cool and comfortable evening we spent dining was on Tuesday, when there was a fantastic "barbeque" down on the beach. Of course, there were many choices of food other than barbequed food, and every aspect of it was as elegant as anything you could envision. Gracious dining on a lovely beach with a cooling ocean breeze made for as perfect an evening as we could ever hope to have at any time, anywhere.

The food: on a scale of one to ten, I would give it a nine overall. There was not a breakfast item, lunch sandwich or salad, or dinner entree that we did not enjoy. Though the menus for breakfast and lunch were always the same, dinner was a special treat. Several different entrees were offered each evening, and the same one did not appear for a second time the entire time we were there. The food was really well prepared, and in all cases, quite plentiful, to say the least. We could never finish breakfast, even though we started ordering less and less each day. When we ordered less, they would bring an extra dish for us "to try." I don't think I had a single dessert (except the wedding cake on the night of our friends' daughter's wedding) because I just did not have the room, even though I always skipped one or two of the courses.

The last thing I will talk about is the beach. It is a beautiful beach, albeit small compared to the miles and miles of beaches I have been used to in Miami and on other islands, but it is perfect. Private, slightly horse-shoe shaped, with no one who didn't belong there striding by. There were loungers under thatched tiki huts, and loungers under lovely old trees. Wherever you were, you had enough space to talk comfortably and we felt a sense of privacy at all times. Guests were quiet and respectful, and only rarely did we even hear other voices, except those of the staff asking you if you wanted anything. Those voices don't come around that often, however, so there is a bar right there on the beach, which is manned for your drinking pleasure throughout the day.

The ONLY negative was the surly employee in the gift shop. Everyone else was responsive to good manners and polite inquiries, but that gal had an attitude that pushed me right out the door.

The Jamaica Inn is one of those places that, when you look back over the truly nice places you have stayed in your travels, you would certainly recall this as being one of the very nicest.

• Stayed June 2006
88 Thank JOLLYGOLIGHTLY
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2006

We have been to many islands in the Carribean (my wife is from St. Croix) over the years and have come to love Jamaica.

We have been to Jamaica Inn 9 times over the past 3 years, including 4 trips in the past 13 months. With all of the choices out there, why would we choose to go back to the same place over and over and over again?

The answer is simple...it's all about how you feel when you are there and how the people make you feel about being there. Jamaica Inn is unique in that the staff is 100% committed to making every vistor's experience the best possible. On any given day, using all of my fingers and toes, I could not count the number of times someone asked me how I was doing or if I needed anything. They "get it" in that you are down there for a relaxing vacation and see to it that you have one.

Everyone, from Teddy, Georgia, Richard, Patrice and Siebert at the beach bar to Marvin, Fraser ("Speedy"), Jimmy, Geico (when you meet him you'll understand!), Carter, Ryan, Robert, Desmond and Victor in the main dining room make sure you are having a wonderful experience.

We know we are not alone. We see many return guests and many who will soon return! SHOUT OUT to Richard, Melissa & Tim, Anjia, and Chiris & Gail...we will see you all again soon!

OK, here's the low-down:

THE RIDE: Ok..it isn't 100% pleasant. It is 2 hours...sometimes 2 1/2 depending upon the weather...although "Brian" got us there in 90 minutes one time. If you have never been there, it may seem long, if you have, it doesn't seem that bad because you know what is in store! The road should be completed by December 2006, making it a 1 1/2 hour drive from Montego Bay. Take my advice...AVOID KINGSTON if at all possible! Fly into Montego Bay!

ROOMS: The rooms are antiquey...it makes you feel like you are in the 50's or 60's...in a nice way, because everything is so well maintained. There is not a bad room in the house, but I would personally recommend the Cottages or the White Suite (an experience like no other!!! Churchill stayed there several times). The Cottages (except for 3 and 4) have TVs and internet access. For those watching their budget more closely, the oceanfront veranda suites or the beachfront suites put you right where you want to be and are lovely as well. We have stayed in many of the rooms.

FOOD: Chef Kai has only gotten better over the past 3 years...I didn't think it was possible. The menu changes every night, and there is something for everyone, save for the most pickiest of eaters, and in that case, I saw them make special dishes for people that did not find something to their liking on the menu. The fish dishes are always great, but you don't have to shy away from the beef dishes either, my wife ordered beef several times and I found myself picking off of her plate, even though I was quite full! The salads are creative and tasty and the soups are incredible! The experience is somewhat formal, but for us, that made the vacation that much more enjoyable. There is something about being casual all day and then dressing up a bit for dinner that made it an incredibly romantic experience. Breakfast and Lunch are served casually and in your room or at the beach. Those menus do not change, but I never seem to tire of the options offered, even after 9 trips. My wife even took it upon herself to learn how to make corned beef hash from scratch in an attempt to duplicate one of their breakfasts!

BEACH: The best beach in the Carribean! I challenge anyone to prove me wrong. We have been to Cap Jaluca and other top resorts and nothing compares. Private, not crowded, even when the hotel is at high occupancy. The ultimate in relaxation. You will see and talk to as many people as you prefer. There are enough palapas and chairs for everyone ("King Arthur" (with the Inn for over 50 years) and Albert (who seems to be running all the time to help anyone who needs it) see to it.

WATER SPORTS: Sailing (have Arthur or Albert take you out...they are experts) is great on most days, and the kayaks provide a way for the less skilled (like me) sea-goers to enjoy the Carribean. Snokeling is OK near the Inn, but better a short way off-shore at the reef. Tony, the boat man, can take you for a quick run to Laughing Waters or Dunns River Falls for a very reasonable rate. If your budget allows, ask Mary Phillips (the GM) about "Speedy" and "Your Eyes Only". His boat is incredible. He will do a lunch cruise or a romantic dinner cruise. It isn't inexpensive, but for my wife & I it was well worth it. In addition to the great experience, you will get to know Shalton (another "Speedy")...what an incredible young man.

STAFF: Everyone, from the folks I mentioned eariler, including the housekeeping staff, especially Sadie and Beverly, all the way up to the management, Derek (Bar) Alvin (Dining Room); Terri (Assisitant GM), Mary (GM), and Eric Morrow (Owner...how many hotel owners actually stay on their property??) is focused on exceeding your expectations.

BOTTOM LINE: I am almost reluctant to post this, since it is kind of like giving away your secret fishing spot, but even after 9 times in 3 years, they continue to delight my wife & I.

We will be back soon...or as they say "soon come back."

See you there!

Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!